Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#571 Post by jemimah »

In any case, the core will not have a media subsystem at all. You will be able to get an instant minimalist system by deleting the adrive.

The real difficultly is deciding what goes in the core vs the adrive.

666philb

#572 Post by 666philb »

not sure if anyone's posted one yet, but here's the NVIDIA 285.05.09 driver
http://www.mediafire.com/file/h54udp91t ... _luki6.pet 31.94mb
MD5 c5ec4ba09f7a08019f374d2b00996f9f
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331

smokey01

#573 Post by smokey01 »

Jemimah I never get video when I first boot Saluki. I have to use vesa.

This is what I have in Lupu-525

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 220/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 260.19.12

scsijon

#574 Post by scsijon »

jemimah wrote:From an architectural standpoint, gstreamer is the most interesting media backend, and the most bang for size because so many apps can take advantage of it - including Midori. However, Parole is kind of weak as a media player and last time I checked it was the only lightweight gstreamer-based video player. There might be something better by now.
Have a look at the Christine Media Player, software and the home website (such as it is) link is on sourceforge, it might suit you. Only uses Python and GTK+ on top of gstreamer and is tiny!

regards
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 12 Jan 2012, 11:00, edited 2 times in total.

Bert

#575 Post by Bert »

jemimah wrote:
Did you have a specific font in mind? Have you seen the font hinting settings in the Appearance setup?
Hi Jemimah, I always add the Ubuntu font to any Puppy and also the Font Wizard pet (from Iguleder?). That usually makes the fonts acceptable. Other nice fonts are Liberation and Droid.
No, I hadn't seen the font hinting settings :oops:
Are there things from Xubuntu that we can/should copy?

Well, I had a good look at Xubuntu 11.10 again today and it's hard to pinpoint what elements make it so great. The distro feels like a well-polished product, everything seems coherent and logically placed. I'm quite certain total noobs would have no problem using Xubuntu.
Of course nice themes and fonts and complete localization influence the experience
So to answer your question: Copy everything, except the bloat :lol:
FYI, Xubuntu uses 321 MB ram on the same atom computer, with only hardinfo running...
Thanks.
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

mavrothal

#576 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote: The real difficultly is deciding what goes in the core vs the adrive.
Indeed.

I would think that to great extend this depends on how to go about preexisting pets and PPM. The Achilles heel of puppy IMHO.

A lot of the pets assume presence of certain libs and do not list them as dependencies, while PPM is not the best in handling dependencies and looking at multiple repos to find them.
These can result in a very user-unfriendly core.

I would think that the core should be able to handle at least the puppy-common-repo pets and certainly include some browser (even dillo) so users will not be stranded when only the core is loaded.

On the other hand a well crafted and populated luki-repo is necessary to match whatever decision is made for the core.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Sage

#577 Post by Sage »

at least the puppy-common-repo pets and certainly include some browser (even dillo)
Uh! Think that's what I was trying to say. Even Slitaz and TinyCore have a rudimentary method of contacting the InterWeb.

jemimah

#578 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:Jemimah I never get video when I first boot Saluki. I have to use vesa.

For these types of problems it is helpful to mention whether or not it works in Racy since the only difference graphics-wise between racy and saluki is the kernel.

Remember that report-video always says vesa unless you create a real xorg.conf, so don't rely on that output.

Examining the /var/log/Xorg.0.log may tell you what the problem is.

jemimah

#579 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote: I would think that the core should be able to handle at least the puppy-common-repo pets and certainly include some browser (even dillo) so users will not be stranded when only the core is loaded.
This is a position that a "user" should not be in. The core feature is really only intended for developers and power users. You actually do have ppm access - just have to press the configure button if you want the saluki repo (which is in no way ready!).

Volhout

iso size

#580 Post by Volhout »

I currently use puppy linux for 2 completely different tasks.

- day to day business (use lucid 528-004) ... and .... jemimah .... puppeee 44RC2.

- recovery of broken system (use wary or browserlinux).

The fact that I need to revert to wary or browserlinux is the fact that the lucid series do not have a good browser in the iso. For recovery you run from the live cd and need a good browser (to fetch WIN drivers from the internet), and excellent hardware support in the iso (otherwise your system may not boot, or may not even connect to the internet).

If the 128Meg iso limit would stop to exist, it would be great if we could have a decent browser in the iso. Just a thought ....

jemimah

Re: iso size

#581 Post by jemimah »

Volhout wrote:I currently use puppy linux for 2 completely different tasks.

- day to day business (use lucid 528-004) ... and .... jemimah .... puppeee 44RC2.

- recovery of broken system (use wary or browserlinux).

The fact that I need to revert to wary or browserlinux is the fact that the lucid series do not have a good browser in the iso. For recovery you run from the live cd and need a good browser (to fetch WIN drivers from the internet), and excellent hardware support in the iso (otherwise your system may not boot, or may not even connect to the internet).

If the 128Meg iso limit would stop to exist, it would be great if we could have a decent browser in the iso. Just a thought ....
The iso will include the adrive. The only way to get the core will be to delete the adrive. I have no intention of creating yet another useless live cd.

Bert

#582 Post by Bert »

Hi Jemimah,

Added the Saluki repo in PPM.
None of the apps in the Internet category are downloadable. (didn't check other categories)
The connection is correctly made to the server, but then it complains about "broken link". Tried several mirrors.

If implementing the PPM is a future goal, no problem, just wanted to let you know.
[url=http://pupsearch.weebly.com/][img]http://pupsearch.weebly.com/uploads/7/4/6/4/7464374/125791.gif[/img][/url]
[url=https://startpage.com/do/search?q=host%3Awww.murga-linux.com%2F][img]http://i.imgur.com/XJ9Tqc7.png[/img][/url]

jemimah

#583 Post by jemimah »

Bert wrote:Hi Jemimah,

Added the Saluki repo in PPM.
None of the apps in the Internet category are downloadable. (didn't check other categories)
The connection is correctly made to the server, but then it complains about "broken link". Tried several mirrors.

If implementing the PPM is a future goal, no problem, just wanted to let you know.
Smokey01 is the only repo that is going to work. If it shows 2 smokey01s, you need the second one (not sure why it is doing that - I borked something somewhere).

Bert

#584 Post by Bert »

Okay, thanks, the second Smokey01 is indeed functional.

jemimah

#585 Post by jemimah »

Here is a bunch of gtk theme engines. Now you guys need to search around on gnome-look and let me know which themes are the best. You'll want to install gtk-ctheme again because the xfce theme switcher doesn't seem to be working right.

Engines included:
  • Aurora
    equinox
    gflat
    crux
    industrial
    clearlooks
    mist
    redmond95
    thinice
    bluecurve
    magicchicken
    lighthouseblue
    nodoka
    moblin
    murrine
    oxygen
    rezlooks
    TerraNova
Let me know if I missaged any important theme engines.

WARNING: Oxygen theme seems to cause crashiness.

pacer106

#586 Post by pacer106 »

Just tested luki 006 & I must say very nice work jemimah :) I like the look of xfce desktop & the way the menu is setup seems much less cluttered then most puplets :) cant wait for the final which im sure is a little further in the future then id like lol.

Wish I had the knowhow to contribute with more than just wallpapers :)

Again great work jemimah thanks for everything :)

smokey01

#587 Post by smokey01 »

Racy boots to the setup wizard, keboard, country and timezone. Once all set then it displays the desktop at 1280x1024 which is the maximum this Dell monitor can manage.

In all Lupu's it boots to desktop but only at 800x600. I have to run xorgwizard to select 1280x1024 in Xorg.

In Fatdog it's able to boot 1280x1024.

I have attached a file which contains three log files.

Saluk-006-Xorg.0.log.old which is the log from the first boot when the desktop did not start.

Saluki-006-Xorg.0.log which is the Xorg log file after I have ctrl-alt-backpaced then ran xorgwizard and selected vesa at 1280x1024.

The third is the Racy-Xorg.0.log file.

Hope this give you the information you require to solve the problem.

--------------------------------Cut-----------------------------------
jemimah wrote:
smokey01 wrote:Jemimah I never get video when I first boot Saluki. I have to use vesa.

For these types of problems it is helpful to mention whether or not it works in Racy since the only difference graphics-wise between racy and saluki is the kernel.

Remember that report-video always says vesa unless you create a real xorg.conf, so don't rely on that output.

Attachments
logs.tar.gz
Xorg Logs
(30.49 KiB) Downloaded 359 times

Marv

video report

#588 Post by Marv »

USB install from 001 iso originally. Run on a Dell latitude D610 and a Fujitsu S6210, both Pentium M class laptops with Intel graphics. Haven't run it yet on the T60 with ATI vid.

Wireless fine under frisbee once /usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitor created. Xarchiver 0.5.2 installed, also searchmonkey 0.8.1 and Opera 11.52. Remastered, THEN updated to 003 sucessfully keeping all settings and programs. Wow!

Sound fine, frisbee wireless fine (even with ASCII WEP key), Alps touchpad fine, Font rendering particularly in Opera just not as crisp as my old Boxpup412, even with anti-aliasing on and with or without hintslight option. Same Dejavu or Vera fonts. Who knows.

Video report from the Dell follows. Glxgears numbers reflect a known issue in the newer i915 series drivers. Even with Option "SwapbuffersWait" "false" in Xorg.conf, vblank_mode defaults to on. Still chasing that tail and getting the Save launcher off the desktop permanently. Until xfce goes singleclick (promised in 4.10) I use the menu and 4 or 5 launchers in the panel with none at all on the desktop. Panel autohides well. Transparency with opaque icons now works also with Xfce compositor on.

The drive access via the panel really has as much utility as the drives-on-desktop scheme. Could use a 'punchier' icon though. One that screams DRIVES.

Adding the following lines in /root/gtkrc.mine makes the background behind the desktop icon text transparent:

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 006

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 915GM/GMS/910GML Express Graphics Controller (rev 03)

Driver used by Xorg:
intel

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

# vblank_mode=0 glxgears
ATTENTION: default value of option vblank_mode overridden by environment.
2677 frames in 5.0 seconds = 535.297 FPS
2686 frames in 5.0 seconds = 537.102 FPS
2677 frames in 5.0 seconds = 535.275 FPS
2676 frames in 5.0 seconds = 535.184 FPS
2668 frames in 5.0 seconds = 533.510 FPS

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
110 frames in 5.0 seconds = 21.883 FPS
84 frames in 5.0 seconds = 16.744 FPS
105 frames in 5.0 seconds = 20.930 FPS
91 frames in 5.0 seconds = 18.140 FPS
144 frames in 5.0 seconds = 28.704 FPS

I agree strongly with keeping the core minimal. Just enough to use the repository or get and install tar.gzs or sfs. Some form of Xarchiver or equivalent and a minimal browser either onboard or in the repo suggested.

A longtime Openbox/Thunar guy
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

jemimah

#589 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:Racy boots to the setup wizard, keboard, country and timezone. Once all set then it displays the desktop at 1280x1024 which is the maximum this Dell monitor can manage.

In all Lupu's it boots to desktop but only at 800x600. I have to run xorgwizard to select 1280x1024 in Xorg.

In Fatdog it's able to boot 1280x1024.

I have attached a file which contains three log files.

Saluk-006-Xorg.0.log.old which is the log from the first boot when the desktop did not start.

Saluki-006-Xorg.0.log which is the Xorg log file after I have ctrl-alt-backpaced then ran xorgwizard and selected vesa at 1280x1024.

The third is the Racy-Xorg.0.log file.

Hope this give you the information you require to solve the problem.

--------------------------------Cut-----------------------------------
jemimah wrote:

Can you check lsmod on Saluki vs a working system?

smokey01

#590 Post by smokey01 »

Jemimah I have attached a file with lsmod from Saluki-006 after establishing vesa video and Racy lsmod.
Attachments
lsmod.tar.gz
(1.01 KiB) Downloaded 357 times