Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
MoebusNet

#511 Post by MoebusNet »

Saluki-005 clean frugal-install to a 2Gb USB flash drive using ext4 w/Grub4Dos. Sound works (barks) video resolution correctly set, WiFi sets up correctly w/McDougal's wizard, but not SNS or Frisbee (haven't made folder for Frisbee fix yet). Same traditional trackpad & SD card reader issues as the rest of the Puppies for this hardware. Latest Midori pet made a Menu>Internet entry, but won't run; missing a library. Aurora 9.0.1 installs & runs well, using it to post.

sh-3.00# report-video
VIDEO REPORT: Saluki, version 005

Chip description:
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller

Driver used by Xorg:
vesa

Video mode used by Xorg:
Resolution: Depth 24 Depth: "Display"

...the above also recorded in /tmp/report-video
sh-3.00# glx-gears
sh: glx-gears: command not found

EDIT:

Code: Select all

sh-3.00# midori
midori: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Attachments
hardinfo_report.html.gz
(46.45 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Last edited by MoebusNet on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

MoebusNet

#512 Post by MoebusNet »

Are you running from a usb flash drive, if you are I have been having trouble with the package manager with a usb install, still haven't worked out what the problem is Confused
Sorry Geoffrey, vehicle troubles. Looks like you've got it sorted, though.
made a deadbeef-0.5.1-i686.sfs
Thanks Billtoo, I'll give it a whirl. EDIT: streaming Shoutcast using 0.5.1 on Saluki 5; works great!
Saluki-005 has been uploaded.
Thanks Jemimah, giving it a try right now!
Last edited by MoebusNet on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
Acer Aspire One D255-2301 (N450 Atom @ 1.6 Ghz, 1 Gb RAM, 160 Gb HDD w/WinXP, ENE SD card reader, Alps touchpad) 5.28/5.3.1 via manual-frugal ext4 USB flash drive (4Gb) using GRUB4DOS

peebee

#513 Post by peebee »

jemimah wrote:
These are the main benefits:
Hi jemimah

Really sorry if my impressions came across as too critical....weren't meant to be

I guess I'm not really a UI tinkerer so most of your benefits are ones I'm unlikely to need - ugliness in particular is very subjective and personal.

I had to use wikipedia to look up "compositing" :oops: and although I now understand what the word means I've no idea how it applies to luki....

I'll follow saluki's development with interest and hopefully as it matures I'll come to appreciate it's benefits more

Cheers & many thanks for responding to my twopennyworth
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

jemimah

Re: report

#514 Post by jemimah »

MoebusNet wrote:
EDIT:

sh-3.00# midori
midori: error while loading shared libraries: libgnutls.so.26: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
You need gnutls.

http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages ... 5-i486.pet

jemimah

#515 Post by jemimah »

peebee wrote:
I had to use wikipedia to look up "compositing" :oops: and although I now understand what the word means I've no idea how it applies to luki....
You can go into the Window Manager Tweaks and turn it on. It enables drop shadows and transparency in various places. I think you can even have a transparent panel if you want.

jemimah

Re: Delta Files

#516 Post by jemimah »

alec78 wrote:Hi all,

Jermimah, are you going to post delta files?
You are getting up a head of steam now, and delta files would help us to keep up.
Keep up the interesting work.

Cheers
http://smokey01.com/jemimah/saluki/isos/luki4-5.delta

MoebusNet

Re: report

#517 Post by MoebusNet »

jemimah wrote: You need gnutls.
Thanks! It works now.

mavrothal

#518 Post by mavrothal »

It would appear that the xorg devel files are included in the main sfs.
BTW is this still a woof build or a handcrafted one? If a woof build, any woof tweaks? If not, any build scripts?

On another note, if we overlooks the "heaviness", XFCE4 is way better than ROX/JWM in usability, adaptability and user-friendliness, I believe.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#519 Post by jemimah »

Doh, thanks for pointing that out.

This is a woof build and it's heavily tweaked. My intention was to upload the patches and such when I'm done with changing them nearly every day.

Geoffrey

#520 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
peebee wrote:
I think you can even have a transparent panel if you want.
I looked for the transparent panel, that was in Xfce panel preferences it allowed transparency with a slider than set alpha level, it appears to be missing, the older version use to make the panel and the icons on it transparent, the new version is supposed to only make the panel background transparent.

Couldn't find the xfce4-settings-editor, this is a good thing to have, well I like to use it, I tried the one from Quirky NOP, it seems to work.

Here is a screenshooter that is better than the others I think.

The image below is hosted on http://en.zimagez.com/ free hosting no registration required, could come in handy, though they will be deleted if not used.
Lets see how long it will last, Time now: 2012-01-06 17:37
Last edited by Geoffrey on Fri 06 Jan 2012, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#521 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:This is a woof build and it's heavily tweaked. My intention was to upload the patches and such when I'm done with changing them nearly every day.
Hopefully you use some versioning software so your efforts can be better appreciated :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Geoffrey

#522 Post by Geoffrey »

Here is a theme that harii4 was working on,
harii4 wrote:I started to mod an theme for puppy that was inspired by GoblinX ISO (now dead) and this thread. :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=70083
I now have little time to fix the rest of the theme.
Like to hand-off the project to an bored puppy member to finish it.

It sort of don't look to shabby the way it is AnubisX.pet
The wallpaper is Flow-tran.png with horizontal gradient of the darkest and lightest greens on the screen

Geoffrey

#523 Post by Geoffrey »

Another bug, in Thunar I can't create a system link in the same directory on the right click menu, it creates a brokenlink that appears like so eg. "'5.10.1' (symlink)", if I drag with the right mouse button to another directory it will make a link then I can rename it and move it back, it does this with either files or directories.

magerlab

#524 Post by magerlab »

It's not a bug it's a feature:)
there's an option to make a symlink via custom actions

Creating a symbolic link

Name: Create symlink
Command: ln -s %f

jemimah

#525 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote: I looked for the transparent panel, that was in Xfce panel preferences it allowed transparency with a slider than set alpha level, it appears to be missing, the older version use to make the panel and the icons on it transparent, the new version is supposed to only make the panel background transparent.
I think you are supposed to use a transparent background with the panel (like the transparent wallpaper). At least thats the impression I got from the xfce tour page.

Geoffrey

#526 Post by Geoffrey »

[quote="magerlab"]It's not a bug it's a feature:)
there's an option to make a symlink via custom actions

Creating a symbolic link

Name: Create symlink
Command: ln -s %f

Geoffrey

#527 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: I looked for the transparent panel, that was in Xfce panel preferences it allowed transparency with a slider than set alpha level, it appears to be missing, the older version use to make the panel and the icons on it transparent, the new version is supposed to only make the panel background transparent.
I think you are supposed to use a transparent background with the panel (like the transparent wallpaper). At least thats the impression I got from the xfce tour page.
I thought that too, I tried a transparent image but it just shows up as a black bar, I'm pretty sure that the bars are independent from the composite window settings, it has it's own settings in the panel preferences, well in the 4.6 version it did and by what I have read online there is supposed to be a alpha setting in the panel preferences also, I tried looking for a image of the 4.8 panel to confirm it, I'll look some more.

jemimah

#528 Post by jemimah »

Yeah I looked at the source. It is a bug of some sort.

Geoffrey

#529 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:Yeah I looked at the source. It is a bug of some sort.
Here is a youtube vid showing the panel being adjusted http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMtwRM_65FY it shows a alpha slider as I thought there should be.

jemimah

#530 Post by jemimah »

I can force it to appear, but gtk is not playing ball. I have no idea why not. So I can get all-translucent panels, but not where the widgets are opaque.

Edit: GAH!!!! found the probem.
Remove this from /etc/profile and reboot and it'll work.

export XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1