Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

READ-ONLY-MODE: PLEASE DO NOT POST NEW STUFF!
  New Forum: http://forum.puppylinux.com

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 13 Aug 2020, 00:02
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 34 of 252 [3778 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 250, 251, 252 Next
Volhout

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 04:11    Post subject: drive mounting in 005  

Tested drive mounting on a P4 2GHz system.
Opened the PC, and disconnected the internal speaker.
Barking is essential, but not at work.

To the testing:

There are no desktop icons for drives. There is no automount in 005, therefore used Pmount to do the testing.

In Saluki Pmount starts Thunar when a drive is successfully mounted (*) and does not close Thunar when unmounting. Whether this behaviour is wanted, I am not sure, but this is how it is.

Pmount does not "update" when changes happen/are made, but completely disappears and redraws (or restarts). Whether this is intended behaviour or not ???

No problems:
1/ Internal IDE drive, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 partitions mount , unmount, have access (read/write), and launch Thunar correct.
2/ USB flash (128Mbyte), mount, unmount, access, and Thunar OK
3/ Internal Floppy drive (1.44Mbyte), mount, unmount, access, Thunar OK initially (read further)
4/ USB flash (4GByte) in USB2.0 USB port, mount, unmount, access, Thunar = OK
5/ USB card reader with 1Gbyte SD card in USB2.0 port: mount, unmount, access, Thunar = OK
6/ USB connection to a Blackberry: mount, unmount, access, Thunar OK
7/ IDE DVD R/W with Saluki ISO on CD: mount, unmount,access, Thunar OK.

Problems:
8/ USB flash (4GByte) in USB1.1 port, mount, unmount, access= OK, but Thunar fails to autolaunch (popup). Manual launch Thunar is OK. After this failure, Pmount returns to the floppy tab (not the USB tab) and the floppy drive tab in Pmount shows a floppy is inserted with label "b2e2fd.........9c4f" some sort of CRC. But the drive has no disk. The drive is not mounted.
9/ USB harddisk (160G) in USB2.0 port, mount, unmount, access= OK, but Thunar fails to autolaunch (popup). Manual launch Thunar is OK. Same problem with floppy label.

When Thunar fails to launch from Pmount once, it will fail to launch consistently at all drives/partitions until Saluki is restarted. But manual launch of Thunar works without restarting.

Not tested:
SATA HDD (this PC has no SATA).
USB FDD (don't have)
ZIP drives (don't have).

I estimate the observed problems are caused by Pmount starting Thunar before the mount action is completed. Only seen on USB drives.
I have no clue about the label that appears in the floppy drive tab of Pmount at this failure.

Finally: Pmount "preferences" button does not work.

If you need more debug info, send instructions.

Volhout

Last edited by Volhout on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 07:24; edited 2 times in total
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 04:27    Post subject:  

could 'puppy pfix=ram silent' be added to boot up options?
Billtoo

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 04:34    Post subject: Re: Saluki
Subject description: tempicon

Geoffrey wrote:
Billtoo wrote:
01micko's tempicon-0.04.pet and lm_sensors-3.1.2.pet work.

There is one builtin, no need for another, also shows motherboard temp and voltages, there isn't much thats needed to add to xfce, has a lot of features.

Found it, thanks

EDIT: turned on some more stuff Smile
image-4.png
 Description   
 Filesize   7.88 KB
 Viewed   911 Time(s)

image-4.png

image-3.png
 Description   
 Filesize   5.08 KB
 Viewed   903 Time(s)

image-3.png

Last edited by Billtoo on Thu 05 Jan 2012, 05:37; edited 1 time in total
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 04:45    Post subject:  

vide supra:
- confirm that gray's Racy NOP has the Applications/Setup/Setup Puppy/Xfce 4 Settings Manager/File Manager/Behaviour ...tab with the single click option.
As per all regular Xfce systems, it works on everything except the displayed desktop icons, which is a known feature of the genre.
Pelo

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 06:29    Post subject: ne reconnait pas le clavier français
Subject description: Et n'a rien de folichon, ya beaucoup mieux et sans prise de tête

Le clavier continue en QWERTY malgré le redémarrage de X.
Problème aussi de mot de passe de réseau WIFI.
Je laisse tomber. Il buggue dès le départ et il est moins bien que beaucoup d'autres Puppies.
Sans rancune.
samsung.jpg
 Description   Puppy running samsung
 Filesize   31.72 KB
 Viewed   31 Time(s)

samsung.jpg

Last edited by Pelo on Mon 12 Jan 2015, 12:50; edited 1 time in total
Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 07:51    Post subject:  

I do prefer the xfce appearance setter, it gives the options to use different icon themes if you make a folder called .icons and place it in /root, thats where extra icon and mouse themes can be placed,
the xfce setter also gives more control of fonts and whether there are images on button, the xfce4-mouse-settings is better suited also, I guess it's hard to mix'n'match applications and get good functionality.

I'm sure it will turn out extremely good once the bugs are ironed out
appearance.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   32.31 KB
 Viewed   852 Time(s)

appearance.jpg

peebee

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 07:52    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
To solve the problem where Frisbee won't take your password create the following directory:
Code:
/usr/share/gvfs/remote-volume-monitors

That fixed it - many thanks - posting this from luki005 - Midori - over wifi Very Happy

I echo some of the other comments made:

double clicking desktop icons is horrible, especially when you can set the windows to single click meaning you have an inconsistent ui

missed having mounted and unmounted partitions on the desktop although this can be fixed for mounted by making a desktop shortcut

I like the minimalist approach of few installed applications (although I think some pretty basic things like pfind and psnap and viewnior or eqivalents need to be there on bootup) but it does mean there will have to be a very easy to use and comprehensive way of adding packages of "commonly used applications"

Have to admit I don't really see what has been gained by moving away from "standard puppy" / jwm as yet - if anything I think it is a retrograde step in usability - just my twopennyworth.

Nice to play with though....so thanks

Cheers
Peebee

etiennep

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:30    Post subject: Re: ne reconnait pas le clavier français
Subject description: Et n'a rien de folichon, ya beaucoup mieux et sans prise de tête

Pelo wrote:
Le clavier continue en QWERTY malgré le redémarrage de X.
Problème aussi de mot de passe de réseau WIFI.
Je laisse tomber. Il buggue dès le départ et il est moins bien que beaucoup d'autres Puppies.
Sans rancune.

[translation]
The keyboard is still in Qwerty despite restarting X. Also some problems with WiFi network passwords. I give up. It's bugging as soon as starting and it's worse than lot of other puppies. No hard feelings.
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 11:56    Post subject:  

aragon wrote:
technosaurus wrote:
if you get fed up with Thunar, there is always xffm:
http://xffm.org/

Maybe i've done somwthing wrong but if i remember right, i've endet with a pet half as big as a puppy-iso the one time i build it...

Aragon
most of the size is the rodent icon theme(37Mb), locales(3Mb) and documentation(2Mb) ... the actual code is comparably small (<1Mb uncompressed) ... the biggest thing is splitting dev/doc/nls package and tweaking the icon theme (ttuuuxxx's specialty iirc)

@etiennep - you missed one part of the translation
Quote:
Pelo

latin translation: asinus

(also American South English translates "no hard feelings" to "bless your heart" and American Military English it is "with all due respect sir/ma'am,..." ... in other words {I want to insult you but I am to timid to say it directly, please don't be mad at me.})

Aitch

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 13:15    Post subject:  

Pelo - I thought it meant 'hairy.'.. and is a user name?

Aitch Smile
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 13:59    Post subject:  

peebee wrote:
Have to admit I don't really see what has been gained by moving away from "standard puppy" / jwm as yet - if anything I think it is a retrograde step in usability - just my twopennyworth.

These are the main benefits:

It's not ugly or stuck in the 90s - external reviewers (rightly) tend to compare puppy with win95.

Integrated Desktop - you can drag icons between the menu, desktop, and panel.

Really functional panel - you can move it easily - turn it sideways, it has tons of applets

At no point do you ever need to bust out a text editor to configure it

It behaves similarly to other popular OSes. Users who aren't seasoned puppy veterans will appreciate that.

Compositing - it's not compiz, but it's still quite nice

The window manager and desktop work correctly with multi-monitor setups
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 14:02    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:
I do prefer the xfce appearance setter, it gives the options to use different icon themes if you make a folder called .icons and place it in /root, thats where extra icon and mouse themes can be placed,
the xfce setter also gives more control of fonts and whether there are images on button, the xfce4-mouse-settings is better suited also, I guess it's hard to mix'n'match applications and get good functionality.

I'm sure it will turn out extremely good once the bugs are ironed out

I had problems getting it to work. That's why it's not included. I'll poke at it again before the next release.
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 14:06    Post subject: Re: drive mounting in 005  

Volhout wrote:
Tested drive mounting on a P4 2GHz system.
Opened the PC, and disconnected the internal speaker.
Barking is essential, but not at work.

To the testing:

There are no desktop icons for drives. There is no automount in 005, therefore used Pmount to do the testing.

In Saluki Pmount starts Thunar when a drive is successfully mounted (*) and does not close Thunar when unmounting. Whether this behaviour is wanted, I am not sure, but this is how it is.

Pmount does not "update" when changes happen/are made, but completely disappears and redraws (or restarts). Whether this is intended behaviour or not ???

No problems:
1/ Internal IDE drive, NTFS, EXT2, EXT3 and EXT4 partitions mount , unmount, have access (read/write), and launch Thunar correct.
2/ USB flash (128Mbyte), mount, unmount, access, and Thunar OK
3/ Internal Floppy drive (1.44Mbyte), mount, unmount, access, Thunar OK initially (read further)
4/ USB flash (4GByte) in USB2.0 USB port, mount, unmount, access, Thunar = OK
5/ USB card reader with 1Gbyte SD card in USB2.0 port: mount, unmount, access, Thunar = OK
6/ USB connection to a Blackberry: mount, unmount, access, Thunar OK
7/ IDE DVD R/W with Saluki ISO on CD: mount, unmount,access, Thunar OK.

Problems:
8/ USB flash (4GByte) in USB1.1 port, mount, unmount, access= OK, but Thunar fails to autolaunch (popup). Manual launch Thunar is OK. After this failure, Pmount returns to the floppy tab (not the USB tab) and the floppy drive tab in Pmount shows a floppy is inserted with label "b2e2fd.........9c4f" some sort of CRC. But the drive has no disk. The drive is not mounted.
9/ USB harddisk (160G) in USB2.0 port, mount, unmount, access= OK, but Thunar fails to autolaunch (popup). Manual launch Thunar is OK. Same problem with floppy label.

When Thunar fails to launch from Pmount once, it will fail to launch consistently at all drives/partitions until Saluki is restarted. But manual launch of Thunar works without restarting.

Not tested:
SATA HDD (this PC has no SATA).
USB FDD (don't have)
ZIP drives (don't have).

I estimate the observed problems are caused by Pmount starting Thunar before the mount action is completed. Only seen on USB drives.
I have no clue about the label that appears in the floppy drive tab of Pmount at this failure.

Finally: Pmount "preferences" button does not work.

If you need more debug info, send instructions.

Volhout

I actually didn't do much with pmount yet. I mainly worked on the drive applet. I'll figure out what to do with it for the next release.

My card reader disappeared in 005 - not sure if that was Barry's woof patch or mine that caused it. I'll check that out too.
jemimah

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 14:09    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:

jemimah, that xfce4-screenshooter still has the help button active which links to " /usr/bin/xfhelp4 " , this opens file:///usr/share/doc/index.html in conjunction with /usr/bin/xfbrowser4 which is already in Saluki, but not being used by the look of it

And while I remember, the open on the right click menu of the desktop trash don't work for me either, it's strange when emptying the trash, it pops up with a message that files can't be modified and do you want to skip them, if I select yes to all they delete, weird Confused

I've borked up my trash a few times too. If I remove gvfs, then there's no trash can. I'm not sure which is worse, a buggy trash or no trash.
alec78

PostPosted: Thu 05 Jan 2012, 14:54    Post subject: Delta Files  

Hi all,

Jermimah, are you going to post delta files?
You are getting up a head of steam now, and delta files would help us to keep up.
Keep up the interesting work.

Cheers
Page 34 of 252 [3778 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, ..., 250, 251, 252 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: