Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeb

#3751 Post by mikeb »

Jemimah's email is jemimah@gmx.com I haven't heard from her for a long time, not long after she left the forum.
sorry to pop in on this but that's the fastest way to invite spammers to harvest an email address...could you obfusticate it in some way?

mike

ps she never looked like that in the chatroom :D

Geoffrey

#3752 Post by Geoffrey »

Mike, Jemimah's email address is on public record, along with her postal, residential address and her work history, I'm sure that any spam would be the lest of her worries.

Yeah, she looks a little different to this image http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... h&id=26294
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

mikeb

#3753 Post by mikeb »

Mike, Jemimah's email address is on public record, along with her postal, residential address and her work history, I'm sure that any spam would be the lest of her worries.
ah ok.... seems a shame a smart person does not know how to guard their privacy but the email thing in particular is sooo common.

Well I shall worry not then..

mike

Pelo

sayonara multimedia needs QT 4.8.0

#3754 Post by Pelo »

sayonara multimedia needs QT 4.8.0
As i hold SFS Qt 4.8.2 , i wanted load it on the fly, but load on the fly does not work.
Linux 3.2.8 ski (i686)
Sayonara will not miss me a lot, but sfs load on the fly not working would.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 25 May 2016, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.

Qlinux

#3755 Post by Qlinux »

this only works on old hardware? i wanted to try it cause i liked the looks from screenshots and on my intel 1150 socket it freezes during boot.

Pelo

saluki on Recent laptops 2012

#3756 Post by Pelo »

Yes, it could be possible that Saluki does not run on new hardware.
I Run It on a Medion P7624 Born 2012 but I believe I have Changed the Kernel.
after checking :
No, Saluki 23 runs with it's Own kernel 3.2.8 ski
Saluki with very few means makes prettier desktop than many. Saluki is a Must
PS : Saluki 013 runs My Laptop Too (Kernel 3.2.8)Wireless connected IWLwifi. Now i am on ACER Aspire 1640 2004 . Temperature Gets High 80° because of Cpu. I must shutdown.
for fun take a Ristretto (You Tube), in fact video is for people take a look at Saluki Puppy Linux.
Last edited by Pelo on Wed 25 May 2016, 09:21, edited 3 times in total.

scsijon

Re: saluki on Recent laptops 2012

#3757 Post by scsijon »

Pelo wrote:Yes, it could be possible that Saluki does not run on new hardware.
I Run It on a Medion P7624 Born 2012 but I believe I have Changed the Kernel.
after checking :
No, Saluki 23 runs with it's Own kernel 3.2.8 ski
Saluki with very few means makes prettier desktop than many. Saluki is a Must
PS : Saluki 013 runs My Laptop Too (Kernel 3.2.8)Wireless connected IWLwifi. Now i am on ACER Aspire 1640 2004 . Temperature Gets High 80° because of Cpu. I must shutdown.
I wonder if she submitted her set of woof build changes anywhere?. I think I remember a lot of it was in one of her threads. It could be a building challange for someone to update it to a (semi-)current puppy build, especially if she would be willing to mentor (, you can only ask).

The DOTconfig is available (and attached) if only the kernel is wanted to be updated (fake .gz) for the kernel-kit and that can of course be reused with a later kernel.
Attachments
DOTconfig-3.2.8-saluki.gz
(104.16 KiB) Downloaded 333 times

mikeslr

Try Carolina 1.3's Kernel in Saluki

#3758 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

scsijon wrote:
"It could be a building challange for someone to update it [Saluki] to a (semi-)current puppy build."

Perhaps not so much. See the relationship between Saluki and Carolina 1.3 and Carolina Vanguard: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 275#875275.

A little over a year ago, battleshooter compiled a new kernel for Carolina 1.2. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... bcd#802764. Shortly, thereafter, he compiled a glib upgrade for Carolina and Racy. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 989#806989. Saluki was a woof-build, based on Racy 5.2. From its inception, Saluki was a modular build, separating "the core" from "user applications" into different Sfses.

So it may be possible to to perform "kernel" and glib upgrades on Saluki by substituting Carolina's following the instructions beginning here, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 643#836643 or from the beginning of that thread; or --worst case scenario-- those given by battleshooter for upgrading glibs &/or kernel.

mikesLr

darry1966

#3759 Post by darry1966 »

MMMM reading those notes as long as you install the GCC update last it should work.

scsijon

#3760 Post by scsijon »

Thanks for the reminder, I'd forgotten it was from racy.

I've got a 'heap' of other package updates for racy (551) if they are wanted, as it's my prefered puppy still, and i've been updating it as I found the need. src2pkg v3 works well for building pet updates for wary/racy if you only want to do that, although there are a few gotchas like any build of lib6 will just 'kill' your savefile beyond redemption on install and the number of packages that need to be rebuilt twice after you have updated others is 'fascinating'.

On top of that i'm starting working at present towards a T2 racy6 > racy7, by building a minimal racy I've built before with woof called myz (pet based) on 4.3 I think it was. It's up here somewhere. It's just the basics, no x at all, or user packages and the like (consider a cutdown rescue system) but the new one will be with linux 4.3. The new one will be called myzt2 and be 'tighter' still.

I've a vague memory of looking at jemimah's work for allowing additional sfs's after she released it and considering adding parts of it into the origonal myz, but there were blockages as to the limit from available memory back then I think I found. myz was suppose to have only the basic puppys components/packages and each other wanted menu group was to have it's own sfs to make adding package groups and updating a lot easier. I shall have to find my build logs from back then and see what I did. Hmmmm..., maybe a revisit is worth ....

Opps, sorry for hijacking the thread, i'll get 'off the line'.

Pelo

An old Acer Aspire 1640 512MB quite broken.

#3761 Post by Pelo »

I have two laptops at home. An old Acer Aspire 1640 521MB quite broken. Saluki is on its hard disk beside dpup exprimo
These two Puppies give me the best result as speed and applications availability.
Saluki in a pretty one, nicce desktop and theme.
remember lot of laptops now arrive end of their life, because of hard disk completely full, Windows XP slower than ever. It's time to bring up these software better than new Slackos issued 2015 wtih bluetooh and 3D libraries, useless until now for home usage
Saluki will give them a second life and allow you to quietly surf the net, without spending more money.
Carolina is too big in my opinion to be used on these Acer and other laptop bought around 2005.
20 seconds for Saluki Puppy Linux Beta Promo by lobster ( only 3 years old...)
Attachments
Saluk 022.jpg
Lot of tutorials were published on youTube, as Saluki was great appreciated.
(48.24 KiB) Downloaded 1449 times

Pelo

is Saluki the most advanced Puppy ?

#3762 Post by Pelo »

Quodlibet only accepts Saluki ? untill now, it's the only puppy i encountered in my ckeck to play it !
is Saluki the most advanced Puppy ? it does what others pretend to do :!:
In fact, everything works with Saluki, From smokey01 repository passenger will enjoy without having to write any english linux word :)
Xnoise works with Saluki 023, but i failed with new Puppies XFCE.
Attachments
saluki.jpg
Quodlibet
(72.4 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 10:29, edited 5 times in total.

p310don

#3763 Post by p310don »

is Saluki the most advanced Puppy
It's a shame that Saluki & Carolina have gone from active development, as I reckon they are two of the best pups ever made.

Pelo

Sayonara is a Jukebox.

#3764 Post by Pelo »

Pet Qt 480 installed to play sayonara. Because i would like that in 2016 an XFCE Puppy aim to at least do as well as Saluki 023. Unfortunately most XFCE apps no longer run (out of the box). Sayonara is a Jukebox.(available Smokey01 repo). Smokey01 now works for Fatdog 64 :( So the repo will not be renewed for Puppy.
All things must pass.. Well quite all users are root now, no time to be users (I prefer 'passengers', because passengers never have to repair the aircraft)
Last edited by Pelo on Sun 11 Jun 2017, 10:36, edited 1 time in total.

mikeslr

New openssl for Saluki

#3765 Post by mikeslr »

Hi all,

Just wanted to report that watchdog's openssl-1.0.2k-w5-i486.pet, available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 149#941149 can be installed into Saluki. There's a website somewhere --I don't have the link handy-- which reports if your openssl is up to date. I was after the install.

mikesLr

Pelo

What is the difference obtained ?

#3766 Post by Pelo »

Ok, but why openssl is important.. What is the difference obtained ?
Attachments
Salukitasks.jpg
Saluli is so efficient. It surprises me each time.
(60.31 KiB) Downloaded 1598 times

mikeslr

#3767 Post by mikeslr »

Hi pelo,

Per wikipedia: "OpenSSL is a software library to be used in applications that need to secure communications over computer networks against eavesdropping or need to ascertain the identity of the party at the other end. It has found wide use in internet web servers, serving a majority of all web sites."

Consequently, having a functional SSL is primarily the concern of web-servers. If, as a "user", you don't mind passing along malware, it of little importance: Except, I have the impression that with the general concern over the spreading of malware some webserver software has now become sufficiently sophisticated to check whether the SSL of someone seeking access is satisfactory and deny access if it is not.

With out of date SSL, you may not be able to manage finances on-line. And I have to wonder why anyone would want to access an on-line banking account if the transmission wasn't secure at both ends.

mikesLr

yr1945

#3768 Post by yr1945 »

Is the first pet listed sufficient, or do I need to install all three? I do not know anything about a pet that starts with DEV and DOC. Are they required? Thank You.

ps: When installing the first one, I got a message saying it may already be installed, and overwriting could ruin my system?

mikeslr

#3769 Post by mikeslr »

Hi yr1945,

One of the reasons Puppies can use the same applications as, say, Ubuntu while taking up less Storage space and RAM, is the way it packages applications. As a general rule, Puppy Devs divide a standard package in three: that which is needed for the package to run, development files needed for debugging and further development, and documentary files needed to understand development and examination of the application. You can now guess which are the latter two. So, no, you don't need them.

Without getting into details as to how Puppies make use of the files within an application, it is generally safe to update applications --including openssl-- especially where others have not reported a problem.

However, there are two generally recommended precautionary techniques you should be aware of. Some of us use one, some the other, some both. Among their benefits is that they allow you to test applications without fear that if something goes wrong you'll have to delete your SaveFile/Folder and start from scratch. One --I only use if I'm trying something really experimental or planning major revisions to how my system operates-- is to backup my SaveFile/Folder. If you've come from Windows, think of it as like "creating a restore point". A Search, https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643 ... #gsc.tab=0 will provide a slew of posts about this technique.

The technique I always use is to Remove Puppies Automatic Save. There's a specific thread about it, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81911, and many posts scattered throughout the Forum. Running Saluiki, one thing you'll have to install shinobar's PupSaveConfig: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 081#457081 which will change Save Session module so that it can be configured as discussed in that thread. I've discussed this technique, and its consequences several times. See for example, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 758#867758 and http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 669#929669. Don't hesitate to ask if, after reading these, you have any questions.

mikesLr

p.s. If you follow the instructions for Removing the Automatic Stay on Puppies which, like Saluki, uses Xfce as window manager, you'll be able to perform a Manual Save via a Menu entry. But if you want a Desktop icon, or to include a launcher, you can install the pet available here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 107#898107
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 15 May 2018, 23:26, edited 2 times in total.

Pelo

Banking and government taxes.. are not for my Puppy Saluki

#3770 Post by Pelo »

" you may not be able to manage finances on-line"
Well received.I will not use Saluki for Banking and government taxes..
That is true that SSL is not important for me..
Here above : pupsaveconfig is one of the best plus of Puppy. I set it to always ask at shutdown if i want to save the session or not.
Much better than to shutdown by switching off laptop when you did an huge error.