Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

Big Thanks to JohnMurga

#3646 Post by mikeslr »

The foregoing discussion of spam problems on the Saluki-Forum should remind us of how much a debt of gratitude we owe to JohnMurga and our moderators for keeping this Forum spam-free.
We probably take it for granted: like fresh air until you've had to live in a smog-bound or polluted city.

Thanks, John.

mikesLr

mini-jaguar

#3647 Post by mini-jaguar »

Actually, I did find a USB stick I could reformat and lay out a new table on. I think I just erased the screenshot with the script I ran, but anyways, this is what it was like:

It was like the one which didn't work, didn't have the hidden sectors, but it did have the media descriptor. I have no idea what I did to the first one to wipe the media descriptor.

However, it worked fine and had no problems unmounting it in Saluki. Strangely enough, it didn't show a special name like the other two when mounted.

cthisbear

#3648 Post by cthisbear »

"The foregoing discussion of spam problems on the Saluki-Forum
should remind us of how much a debt of gratitude we owe to JohnMurga
and our moderators for keeping this Forum spam-free. "

And what about >. Makoto

Day in day out....he's on the case
Should be given mod privileges in >> SPAM REPORTS

Chris.

LucioCarreras

Sayonara Player

#3649 Post by LucioCarreras »

Hey!

I managed to decrease the memory consumption to about 45 MB and increase performance. :)

Additionally audio tracks and metadata now can be loaded via command line. You can give sayonara a single or multiple files as command line arguments. But be aware of spaces in the filenames. You can use quotation marks around each argument.

The new version is in the svn repository now.

Just check out
http://sayonara-player.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Lucio

Geoffrey

Re: Sayonara Player

#3650 Post by Geoffrey »

LucioCarreras wrote:Hey!

I managed to decrease the memory consumption to about 45 MB and increase performance. :)

Additionally audio tracks and metadata now can be loaded via command line. You can give sayonara a single or multiple files as command line arguments. But be aware of spaces in the filenames. You can use quotation marks around each argument.

The new version is in the svn repository now.

Just check out
http://sayonara-player.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

Lucio
Lucio,

Nice job, working ok now, though there are a few things that could be done.

1) any chance of adding *.oga they will play if their renamed *.ogg,

2) the mute icon for the dark theme is missing, I made a copy of vol_mute.png and renamed it vol_mute_dark.png, that fixed it.

3) shown in the image, the version still say's 0.2

other than that it works well.

I've added sayonara-0.3.pet to the repo, refresh Saluki in the PPM
Attachments
sayonara-0.3.jpg
(28.65 KiB) Downloaded 1761 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

stifiling

Network Browse from Thunar

#3651 Post by stifiling »

I'm using Saluki 023 and noticed that browsing samba shares from Thunar doesn't appear to work. Still have to use pnethood or something similar (I was using smbnetfs). I've petted up some files from the Lucid gvfs-backends.deb and pulled a few libs out of Gray's SalukiNOP and managed to get it to work. Just install the pet, and restart X. You should then be able to browse your samba shares from your other computers on your network, using Thunar's integrated network icon.
Attachments
networkbrowse.png
(43.78 KiB) Downloaded 1536 times

einar

Re: Network Browse from Thunar

#3652 Post by einar »

stifiling wrote:I'm using Saluki 023 and noticed that browsing samba shares from Thunar doesn't appear to work. Still have to use pnethood or something similar (I was using smbnetfs). I've petted up some files from the Lucid gvfs-backends.deb and pulled a few libs out of Gray's SalukiNOP and managed to get it to work. Just install the pet, and restart X. You should then be able to browse your samba shares from your other computers on your network, using Thunar's integrated network icon.

Can you auto mount these shares on reboot ?

regards Einar

stifiling

#3653 Post by stifiling »

if by 'auto-mount' you mean....still working after reboot? then the answer is yes.

it should work the same way it does in nautilus...or on windows. your network shares should be visible in Thunar....even after a reboot.

einar

#3654 Post by einar »

stifiling wrote:if by 'auto-mount' you mean....still working after reboot? then the answer is yes.

it should work the same way it does in nautilus...or on windows. your network shares should be visible in Thunar....even after a reboot.
i mean like in windows we have "map network drive" it then gets a permanent letter. So that i can auto mount a share that i use in XBMC. or do I have to click on it to activate the share ?

stifiling

#3655 Post by stifiling »

ok i see how you mean now. you could write a script and put in in your /root/Startup folder similar to this to mount your share:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
mount -t cifs //192.168.2.101/share /mnt/network -o username=root

that way after a reboot, your share will always be mounted in /mnt/network.

you could also try a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
smbnetfs /mnt/network

the 'sleep 10' means wait 10 seconds and it's there to give your internet a chance to fully connect before it tries to mount your shares. you may or may not want to increase that.

u'd have to untar and copy the attached file first to /usr/bin if you want to try smbnetfs

smbnetfs should automatically find all your shares on your network, rather than mounting a specific share, which is what the first suggestion does.

these are my preferred ways of accomplishing this.
Attachments
smbnetfs.tar.gz
(39.16 KiB) Downloaded 614 times

einar

#3656 Post by einar »

stifiling wrote:ok i see how you mean now. you could write a script and put in in your /root/Startup folder similar to this to mount your share:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
mount -t cifs //192.168.2.101/share /mnt/network -o username=root

that way after a reboot, your share will always be mounted in /mnt/network.

you could also try a script like this:

#!/bin/sh
sleep 10
smbnetfs /mnt/network

the 'sleep 10' means wait 10 seconds and it's there to give your internet a chance to fully connect before it tries to mount your shares. you may or may not want to increase that.

u'd have to untar and copy the attached file first to /usr/bin if you want to try smbnetfs

smbnetfs should automatically find all your shares on your network, rather than mounting a specific share, which is what the first suggestion does.

these are my preferred ways of accomplishing this.

Nice , will try this out. thanks a alot :)

rg66

#3657 Post by rg66 »

stifiling wrote:I'm using Saluki 023 and noticed that browsing samba shares from Thunar doesn't appear to work. Still have to use pnethood or something similar (I was using smbnetfs). I've petted up some files from the Lucid gvfs-backends.deb and pulled a few libs out of Gray's SalukiNOP and managed to get it to work. Just install the pet, and restart X. You should then be able to browse your samba shares from your other computers on your network, using Thunar's integrated network icon.
Nice one, about time someone got this working. Thanks!
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

stifiling

#3658 Post by stifiling »

rg66 wrote:
Nice one, about time someone got this working. Thanks!
thanks for the "thanks". but yea, i think it should be added to the repo. better yet, it 'should' be woofed into the next release.

rg66

#3659 Post by rg66 »

@ Stifiling, It's still better than Pnethood but find I keep getting asked for a password over and over. Anyway to get it to save passwords at least for that session? Also, If I go back a directory it sometimes shows a blank folder.

stifiling

#3660 Post by stifiling »

rg66 wrote:@ Stifiling, It's still better than Pnethood but find I keep getting asked for a password over and over. Anyway to get it to save passwords at least for that session? Also, If I go back a directory it sometimes shows a blank folder.
hmm...i'm poking around with it now. i hadn't even thought about testing with passwords...due to the fact that i don't use them. totally slipped my mind. but now that i've set one on one of my machines....i'm not getting a password prompt.

your Thunar on Saluki is popping up a password prompt box??

I'll try to identify where the problem is.

as far as the folders being empty though...that appears to happen only after restarting samba...or towards the beginning of a new samba connection. after the connection is made (about 30 seconds or so after restarting samba) it's been solid on my machines so far. So far, at least for me...the behavior has been the same as if i was using XFCE in Arch Linux. but once again, i wasn't using passwords on any of my machines on my network then.

edit:
ok i got the password prompt and....i'm not experiencing the same issue you are. after entering the username and password for the share, the password is saved for the session for me. only way to get the password prompt to pop back up is by restarting X.

stifiling

#3661 Post by stifiling »

einar wrote:Can you auto mount these shares on reboot ?

regards Einar
i just noticed today that using the gvfs-smb pet...the shares are mounted in the way you were looking for in /root/.gvfs

rg66

#3662 Post by rg66 »

@ Stifiling

Tried again today, asks password for workgroup then each top directory but stays for the rest of the session. That I can live with, thanks again.

DaveS

Re: mount MTP device

#3663 Post by DaveS »

elroy wrote:
DaveS wrote:How can I mount and browse an MTP device (specifically Nexus 7)?
If I’m not mistaken, that’s a tablet, right?

I don’t have a tablet, but I do have an android. I installed an app called ‘FTP Server’ on my android (it’s free from the app-market or whatever they call it nowdays). From there I can open ‘gFTP ftp client’ in Saluki from the internet sub-menu, and, after connecting to the wi-fi on the android, I click ‘Start’ from the ‘FTP Server’ app. This gives me an FTP URL. I type that URL into the ‘Host’ entry box in gFTP and click the far left button to connect. I can then transfer files to and from my ‘droid and ‘puter. You can even add a bookmark in gFTP to automate the process for future sessions.

If you don't have an android OS on the tablet, you should be able to duplicate this by adding a FTP server app.

Oh dear Lord Elroy, I never thanked you for this. Sincere thanks, works like a charm.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#3664 Post by Sage »

USB cable?

Wognath

can't eject flash drive

#3665 Post by Wognath »

Geoffrey,
In Saluki 23 I have the problem of not being able to eject a flash drive. A while back, you posted a solution on the Saluki-linux forum. I'd like to apply the fix to another computer, but I can't find it now. Would you mind reposting it here? Thanks.
Wognath