Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mini-jaguar

#3616 Post by mini-jaguar »

I've gone back to testing this, and I figured out something about the bug described by me on page 235.

It doesn't matter that it says "USB DISK". In fact my other USB stick is simply named by its manufacturer. sdb1 (no name) is an sD card which plugs right in. (see picture below-it is Saluki 23)

Although I guess it could be what was said earlier about it being reformatted, as it doesn't show the manufacturer as its name.

I tried to see if this unmounts correctly in Saluki 17 (because I already had a burned CD), and sure enough, it unmounted correctly. It also had "USB DISK" under the icon, just like in 23.

So the problem seems to be the newer unmounting system in the newer versions of Saluki. It is nice and fancy, looks like MacOS or Ubuntu, but it has this bug. I don't think my stick is guilty, as it works fine in about 20 or so other OSes I used it with.

I also tried Saluki 23 on three different computers, and it always bugs with that USB stick, but that USB stick always works fine with other OSes, tried on at least 7 different computers.
Attachments
usbug.jpg
(30.52 KiB) Downloaded 1625 times

elroy

Carolina Linux Update

#3617 Post by elroy »

Here's the latest on the upcoming Carolina Linux beta release

einar

Re: Carolina Linux Update

#3618 Post by einar »

elroy wrote:Here's the latest on the upcoming Carolina Linux beta release

I am realy looking forward to this release, I have a few questions though.

Why PAE kernel, i thought that the preemptive kernel was good for multimedia purposes and that the extra memory was not utilized properly in a PAE kernel. Please correct me if im wrong. Its been awhile since ive googled kernel differences :)

Will you make ATi/Nvidia drivers for this new kernel ? Or make quick guides ?:) i managed to install Ati drivers on saluki but it is not strait forward for a noob.

Can you incorporate lameSMBxplorer in to the final release. This is for mounting / automount windows shares ?

Best regards

Einar

elroy

Re: Carolina Linux Update

#3619 Post by elroy »

Hi einar. Thanks for your interest in Carolina. However, we need to keep this thread about Saluki. If anyone else has questions about Carolina, please wait until we crack our own thread, or you can always person message myself or Geoffrey.
einar wrote:Why PAE kernel, i thought that the preemptive kernel was good for multimedia purposes and that the extra memory was not utilized properly in a PAE kernel.
From wikipedia -
"The Linux kernel includes full PAE mode support starting with version 2.3.23, enabling access of up to 64 GB of memory on 32-bit machines. A PAE-enabled Linux kernel requires that the CPU also support PAE. As of 2009, some common Linux distributions have started to use a PAE-enabled kernel as the distribution-specific default because it adds the NX bit.

Microsoft Windows implements PAE if booted with the appropriate option, but current 32-bit desktop editions enforce the physical address space within 4 GB even in PAE mode."
einar wrote:Will you make ATi/Nvidia drivers for this new kernel?
Geoffrey has compiled the Nvidia driver. It will be available as both a pet and as an sfs. We're still in the process of finding a solution for the Ati driver.
einar wrote:Can you incorporate lameSMBxplorer in to the final release.
We hadn't planned on it, but you're more than welcome to build a pet for the Saluki and Carolina repositories.

greengeek

#3620 Post by greengeek »

mini-jaguar wrote:I've gone back to testing this, and I figured out something about the bug described by me on page 235.

So the problem seems to be the newer unmounting system in the newer versions of Saluki. It is nice and fancy, looks like MacOS or Ubuntu, but it has this bug. I don't think my stick is guilty, as it works fine in about 20 or so other OSes I used it with.
Hi mini-jaguar, looks like that might be a tricky bug to resolve. I think it would be worthwhile to make a copy of your mbr so that it is available for future troubleshooting (just in case the mbr ends up being implicated...)

I have had some odd issues with Saluki that went away when I changed to a different mbr (ok, might be nothing to do with your particular issue but just thought I'd mention it).

(If you do want to save a copy of the mbr there is a topic here that describes a way:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2bb53d871f
and also the GRUB wikka mentions taking a backup copy about a quarter of the way down:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GRUB

Van78

desktop icons saluki

#3621 Post by Van78 »

hello

I do not know how to search through the 242 pages in this thread so I gonna aks here though I am sure it has been dealed with before :(

Ok, I got Saluki 23 on USB flashdrive frugal and frugal hdd.
Both have the same issue in common. I can not see any desktop icons and I can not change the wallpaper. This is not so fine.

I have a Samsung R65 laptop with 1400x1000 Nvidia I think . If that is of any interest.

Can you help me since I only want a nice looking puppy that is easy to be administered for a Windows newbe.

Thanks alot

dennis-slacko531

Re: Audacious 3.2.3

#3622 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

rg66 wrote:Ok, here's Audacious 3.2.3 with mp3 support for Saluki. Made from the Lupu pet with all needed libs added and tested on Saluki 023. Hopfully one of the more experienced guy's will check it out to see if it's ok but so far so good.

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?cqfaby8lk7dgk21
Just saying thanks for Audacious pet. Works great, always like this music player best.

Say are there any alpha's out yet on Carolina :?:

EDIT: ...Oh, I see October 5th is the expected beta release date, okay...
Last edited by dennis-slacko531 on Thu 04 Oct 2012, 03:50, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#3623 Post by Geoffrey »

mini-jaguar wrote:I've gone back to testing this, and I figured out something about the bug described by me on page 235.

It doesn't matter that it says "USB DISK". In fact my other USB stick is simply named by its manufacturer. sdb1 (no name) is an sD card which plugs right in. (see picture below-it is Saluki 23)

Although I guess it could be what was said earlier about it being reformatted, as it doesn't show the manufacturer as its name.

I tried to see if this unmounts correctly in Saluki 17 (because I already had a burned CD), and sure enough, it unmounted correctly. It also had "USB DISK" under the icon, just like in 23.

I also tried Saluki 23 on three different computers, and it always bugs with that USB stick, but that USB stick always works fine with other OSes, tried on at least 7 different computers.
This should fix the unmount problem, also fixes Firefox and SeaMonkey crashing when mounting drives.

http://saluki-linux.com/Forum/viewtopic ... 1679#p1679
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

elroy

Carolina Linux

#3624 Post by elroy »

This will be the last post on the Saluki forum concerning Carolina. Carolina now has it's own thread located here.

Van78

#3625 Post by Van78 »

Is something special with Saluki or why do interested user not receive any replies on a question concerning Saluki?

I got a problem with Saluki I never had before with any Puppy and whre I did not find any help on the net.

....---> my Saluki does not show any desktop icons!?

What can I do please?

OscarTalks

#3626 Post by OscarTalks »

Van78 wrote:my Saluki does not show any desktop icons!?
What can I do please?
Which icons do you want on your desktop?

Some are controlled from menu>control panel>desktop>launch>icons

Drive icons controlled from menu>control panel>XFCE Desktop Drive Icons>launch

For program icons go to /usr/share/applications and drag the ones you want out onto the desktop as usual.

That is on my Saluki 021.
Oscar in England

Van78

#3627 Post by Van78 »

I did a fresh install on my laptop and now icons are there.

FYI they were on the older install also there but gone missing some how. Dissipated...

BUT

I had the 1st install first running on my PC! Then I put it on a flashdrive and moved it to my hdd on my laptop. Then I booted the frugal by the means of grub4dos.

So, I assume Saluki or all other modern puppies are not that mobile any more than the ones I had earlier...
May be they are and I have to make adjustments?

I dont know.

mini-jaguar

#3628 Post by mini-jaguar »

greengeek wrote:

Hi mini-jaguar, looks like that might be a tricky bug to resolve. I think it would be worthwhile to make a copy of your mbr so that it is available for future troubleshooting (just in case the mbr ends up being implicated...)

I have had some odd issues with Saluki that went away when I changed to a different mbr (ok, might be nothing to do with your particular issue but just thought I'd mention it).

(If you do want to save a copy of the mbr there is a topic here that describes a way:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 2bb53d871f
and also the GRUB wikka mentions taking a backup copy about a quarter of the way down:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/GRUB
This happens on EVERY computer I try to boot Saluki on, even without installing Saluki (just using a live CD).

It seems I need to check the USB stick's mbr.

O.k., I checked that thread and am a bit at a loss as to what to do. How do I check if the USB stick has an mbr on it in the first place?

I tried TestDisk that Google suckered me into thinking it can be used to examine the mbr, but now it seems it can only repair them.

Should I just download that hex editor and post the results of the first few sectors?

greengeek

#3629 Post by greengeek »

mini-jaguar wrote:This happens on EVERY computer I try to boot Saluki on, even without installing Saluki (just using a live CD).
Yes, sorry - i was not clear - what I mean is that the usb stick will have had sector 0 written in the factory in a way that is most meaningful to Windows. (Rightly or wrongly I am referring to sector 0 as the mbr, even though it also contains FAT data). Of course the stick may have had the mbr portion of sector 0 rewritten since (depending on what programme and options were used to format it...). Puppy seems to handle usb sticks better when sector 0 has been written in certain ways (Grub4Dos does a good job, as does syslinux mbr.bin).

What I was suggesting was to use the code suggested by rcrsn51 in that topic I referred to, just to make a readable copy of sector 0 in case it became handy later on for the purposes of identifying what is upsetting Saluki.

When I had strange boot problems I found some other topics that suggested methods of how to read/analyse that sector 0 data, but it's complex and my head spun too much so I just kept a copy of the data and went ahead with reformatting in various ways till Saluki was happy. Grub4Dos seemed to have managed it for me.

Also - Gparted does not change the mbr portion of sector 0 when you completely reformat the stick. (I used to think it was completely wiping the stick but it doesn't - and the operating system can be upset by what is left in those first 446 bytes of sector 0).

rg66

Open with

#3630 Post by rg66 »

I've just noticed that on my custom built Saluki 023 when I use the "open with" from the right click menu all the apps are listed randomly when they used to be alphabetical before the build. Any way to change this back?
X-slacko-5b1 - X-tahr-2.0 - X-precise-2.4
[url=http://smokey01.com/rg66/]X-series repo[/url]

Wognath

SPAM on the Saluki forum

#3631 Post by Wognath »

The Saluki forum
http://www.saluki-linux.com
tech support topicis getting large amounts of spam. edit: It seems to be mostly in the tech support area. Is there someone with the necessary knowledge who would kindly volunteer to put in a filter?
Thanks in advance.
-humble Saluki user

okokoook

#3632 Post by okokoook »

hello everyone

i am using saluki 023 currently. is there any way to edit exo-mount to add utf8 support because every time i try to mount my flashdrive in vfat32 from thunar sidebar, my file names in that flashdrive shows like "?????". i did a little research on the exo-mount issue. someone says to edit mount.rc file. i could not find that file. does anyone know how to address this problem?

thank you in advance

michael

starhawk

#3633 Post by starhawk »

This might help.

On most puppies (I don't have saluki open in front of me, sorry) there is a "personalize settings" wizard, also called "firstrun wizard" or "firstboot wizard".

Open that. It will display the "welcome to [insert Puppy name here]" box and then give you a bunch of different useful options. One is a checkbox to enable UTF-8. Check the box and click the OK button. It will make you restart X after a minute or two (restarting X closes your active programs but it will not unmount anything).

After that you should be good to go.

mini-jaguar

#3634 Post by mini-jaguar »

O.k., here it is. The first one is the USB stick that has been reformatted, I think a new partition table laid out, works well in any OS doesn't unmount in Saluki. The second has the factory formatting and works properly in Saluki.

The main differences are:
1. The second has the Windows 98 bootloader.
2. The second has a media descriptor.
3. The second shows hidden sectors, but both have hidden files, namely the automatically generated trashes files.
4. The second has no label, but mounts in Saluki as the manufacturer's name. The first mounts as "USB DISK", as stated.

I suspect the problem is that the Saluki 23 disk unmounting only works with USB sticks that have that piece of software that comes factory on the USB sticks and doesn't allow copying of certain bought files (audio, ebooks), so it won't work with reformatted drives. But reformatted drives work fine in other OSes, including proprietary/non-open source.

Not really sure this is the problem though. Maybe someone else can try a reformatted/new partition table USB stick.
Attachments
usb-test.jpg
(63.99 KiB) Downloaded 1295 times

mikeslr

spam on Saluki-Forum

#3635 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Wognath,

Sorry about the spam problem on Saluki-Forum.
If I understand websites correctly, only its Administrator can install anti-spam addons, extensions, plugins. The most anyone else can do is research and recommend. But to do even that, we would have to know what software was used to create the website.
Examination of the forum indicates that it was built with phpBB and uses the sultanTheme style. But there are different versions of phpBB, and may be different versions of sultanTheme for each version.
You didn't mention if the Blog also was also being spammed. It was built with Wordpress. As there is an associated Forum, there really is no reason to allow comments to the Blog. So the easiest way to deal with spam is just to not allow comments.
If I recall correctly, in order to post on the Forum, you have to register. Registered spammers can be banned: i.e., their registration revoked. That won't stop them from seeking to register under a new name. I'm not sure, but there may be a plugin for phpBB which will block a specific IP address. If so, in addition to banning, a spammer's IP address can be blocked. Which, of course, won't stop spammers from posting from a different IP address, or if they can spoof a different IP address. It is my understanding that most spam comes out of Russia, the Ukraine, and China. There may be a plugin to exclude posting from an entire region. But that amounts to "throwing the baby out with the bath-water." The alternative is to require even registered users to complete a Captcha or KeyCaptcha. I particularly like the ones which require the use of a mouse to move pieces of a jigsaw puzzle to solve it, as the solution can't be automated (or at least would be very difficult to automate). Captcha's won't stop a dedicated spammer. But do an excellent job of preventing ROBO-Spamming. And perhaps there's an additional plugin so that before or after completing the Captcha you have to wait 60 seconds and click OK or continue. The more hoops a spammer has to go thru, the more likely he/she will be to direct his/her malevolence elsewhere. But, unfortunately, earnest Forum members would also have to accept those inconveniences.

Just like we put up with check-ins at an airport.

Available plugins can be found by typing "phpBB anti-spam" etc. into a search box. Then you'll want to also search whether a plugin conflicts with the sultanTheme jemimah used.

mikesLr