Saluki-22

#3031 Post by l2ulinux »

Misc:

Uptime 3 hours, 53 minutes
Load Average 0.07, 0.07, 0.06

Everything works good so far.

Geoffrey

#3032 Post by Geoffrey »

Another small glitch, taking a screenshot now adds date and time, this is not up-loadable to the forum in this format.

eg: Screenshot - 090512 - 12:36:21.png is an invalid filename

the colon gives the error, Screenshot - 090512 - 123621.png is fine.

It does add spaces to file names, this maybe a problem also.

Billtoo

#3033 Post by Billtoo »

Geoffrey wrote:Another small glitch, taking a screenshot now adds date and time, this is not up-loadable to the forum in this format.

eg: Screenshot - 090512 - 12:36:21.png is an invalid filename

the colon gives the error, Screenshot - 090512 - 123621.png is fine.

It does add spaces to file names, this maybe a problem also.
I use the screenshot app and then load the screenshot into mtpaint,
then under the image menu option use Scale Canvas and make it 599x499
(on a 1280x1024 screenshot) and save it as a jpg file with a new name
and a quality of 50.
It reduced the size of this screenshot from 833.5 KB to 29.41 KB
Attachments
screen2.jpg
(29.41 KiB) Downloaded 955 times

James C

#3034 Post by James C »

Because of the XFCE upgrade, fresh manual frugal install of Saluki 022 on my Athlon XP box.Other than downloading Firefox as quickly as possible and experimenting with getting the wallpaper changed things went really smooth. Looking good. :)

# report-video
Saluki, version 022 on Tue 8 May 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
Summary
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory 1033MB (166MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 08 May 2012 11:44:25 PM CDT
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA8233 - VIA 8235

Geoffrey

#3035 Post by Geoffrey »

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Screenshot-7.png is more convenient than Screenshot - 090512 - 12:48:20.png, especially if I want to post a small selection of the screen, it cuts out the keyboard and other application from the process, as a general rule for full screenshots, I use mtpaint to size them so they are visible in the post rather than having to open a new page to view them :wink:

magerlab

#3036 Post by magerlab »

I did upgrade to 022 and it seems OK:). Volume mounting is so easy now and single click is Finally implemented:)

smokey01

#3037 Post by smokey01 »

022 runs a bit slow. It's also very jerky when you move a window, not very responsive.

I'm operating live with no save file.

Xfburn is not working either.

# xfburn
xfburn: error while loading shared libraries: libthunar-vfs-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
#

When pressing the CD/DVD button to open the drive, it opens then closes immediately not giving enough time to remove the disk.

Sorry.

mikeslr

Menu Listing for Scanner?

#3038 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & All;

I'm still in 021. My HP2400 scanner probably won't work anyway, but I thought I try it. I installed the printer-scanner-core-1.pet, then looked for something in the menus. It usually shows up in graphics. Not there, so looked in utilities, system, and then all other submenus. Nada. Looked in Controls. Used Search box "All" for pets. Nothing regarding scanners is listed.
Did I miss something again?
As I don't have a printer linked to this box, I haven't tried to print anything. But while we're on the subject of using peripherals, can Saluki print?

mikesLr

jemimah

#3039 Post by jemimah »

I'm having some trouble with compositing as well and I think it might be a show stopper for 4.10 until they fix it. Windows with any kind of transparency seem to be always on top and they act weird.

I'm debating whether to stick with 4.8 for a while longer.

Edit: OK the compositing problem seems specific to a multi-monitor setup on this particular netbook. It did exist in the older XFCE version. I think it's an Xorg bug.
Last edited by jemimah on Wed 09 May 2012, 14:50, edited 1 time in total.

jemimah

Re: Menu Listing for Scanner?

#3040 Post by jemimah »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah & All;

I'm still in 021. My HP2400 scanner probably won't work anyway, but I thought I try it. I installed the printer-scanner-core-1.pet, then looked for something in the menus. It usually shows up in graphics. Not there, so looked in utilities, system, and then all other submenus. Nada. Looked in Controls. Used Search box "All" for pets. Nothing regarding scanners is listed.
Did I miss something again?
As I don't have a printer linked to this box, I haven't tried to print anything. But while we're on the subject of using peripherals, can Saluki print?

mikesLr
Printer-scanner-core doesn't install a scanning application. just the drivers. You should install Xsane or PeasyScan.

magerlab

#3041 Post by magerlab »

I there a newer chrome(chromium) for Saluki ?
I saw only 12 version. 18th for Lucid does not work in Saluki

jemimah

#3042 Post by jemimah »

Chrome 12 is the last version that works.

l2ulinux

Saluki-22

#3043 Post by l2ulinux »

So far the only problems I have found is the screen will jerk when using Midori are after until I reboot. Each reboot I get a new background and if I don't like it I change it. If there is not a CD/DVD in the drive at boot then a icon will not show on desktop. XFburn does not work but simple download of Pburn then up and running again.

Saluki 0.2.2 has a few bugs to be worked out but after about 15 hours of booting and rebooting downloading and uninstalls I have not got it to crash. It seems to work faster on my system than 0.2.1.

Thank you jemimah for the chance to play with this release.

jemimah

#3044 Post by jemimah »

Yeah, I think it is a lot faster actually.

I need a few more weeks to sort out the new XFCE bugs and hopefully akash_rawal will continue to work on the the drive mounting backend.

Then everything should be perfect. ;)

Billtoo

#3045 Post by Billtoo »

I didn't have any problems with 022 but I made another 4gb flash drive install
with 021 and will use it until the next release is posted.

Wed 9 May 2012 Operating System: Saluki-021 Linux 3.2.8-ski
2.0 VGA compatible controller:
Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 18)
oem: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Chipset Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(R)Ironlake Desktop Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg Driver: intel
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Tungsten Graphics, Inc
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ironlake Desktop x86/MMX/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.3

Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 540
Core 0: 1200 1: 1200 2: 1200 3: 1200 MHz

Memory 3040MB (117MB used)

# glxgears
Running synchronized to the vertical refresh. The framerate should be
approximately the same as the monitor refresh rate.
302 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.395 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.019 FPS
301 frames in 5.0 seconds = 60.019 FPS

It's working well.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(37.12 KiB) Downloaded 579 times

DaveS

#3046 Post by DaveS »

Am having good success with 22. It is a delight to drop a file on the desktop knowing I can start it with a single click. I think the wallpaper chooser bug has already been mentioned (Only current wallpaper shows).
Tiling feature is a bit weird and maybe pointless the way it works just now.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#3047 Post by jemimah »

I just figured out the wallpaper problem can be fixed by creating a symlink from /usr/share/backgrounds /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops.

einar

Saluki 22

#3048 Post by einar »

The problem that i have with Saluki is that is now to good :) i have it installed on 3 laptops. luki 18 on a acer and 20 and 21 on 2 hp lap tops with ati radeon grafics. After i actualy managed to install the drivers i feel kinda happy. and for the first time i dont now if I dear to test 22 :) i love the way things are woring now, fast and stable. using synergy to switch mouse and keyboard. XBMC is playing full HD from a windows shares. ( that out mounts on startup ) Spotify is pumping music without any problems. Conky making it look cool. I also had this strange feeling that one day not to far in to the future i will install Saluki on the G73 that has an i7. Just because i starting to like this more than Win7. For me that is a compliment. My opinion is that win 7 is a good os on fast machines.

Yet to test if this will pas trough 5.1( dolby digital / DTS ) audio via the HDMI port.

The second problem I have is with Linux in general and not just Saluki. Its the lack of a good / fast image viewer. The fastest yet is Geeqie but that will not load network shares. ( it will find the /mnt/network/share folder but no files or folders on the share ) On local files Geeqie is fast but i still have to wait for the image to load. The other images viewers i have tested is the inbuildt Ristretto, Gpicviwer and Viewnor from Racy. They will use 3 seconds to load a 16mp image file. Filesize aprox 5MB. I find it so strange that windows 7 image viewers has no problem doing this fast and very fast on image viewers like "www.fastpictureviewer.com/ or www.faststone.org" is this because we lack DirectX ?

anyways have fun testing the 22, i have it installed on a flash drive. Just need to dare try it :)

DaveS

#3049 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:I just figured out the wallpaper problem can be fixed by creating a symlink from /usr/share/backgrounds /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops.
Done, fixed, sweet, thanks....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

Re: Saluki 22

#3050 Post by jemimah »

einar wrote:The problem that i have with Saluki is that is now to good :) i have it installed on 3 laptops. luki 18 on a acer and 20 and 21 on 2 hp lap tops with ati radeon grafics. After i actualy managed to install the drivers i feel kinda happy. and for the first time i dont now if I dear to test 22 :) i love the way things are woring now, fast and stable. using synergy to switch mouse and keyboard. XBMC is playing full HD from a windows shares. ( that out mounts on startup ) Spotify is pumping music without any problems. Conky making it look cool. I also had this strange feeling that one day not to far in to the future i will install Saluki on the G73 that has an i7. Just because i starting to like this more than Win7. For me that is a compliment. My opinion is that win 7 is a good os on fast machines.

Yet to test if this will pas trough 5.1( dolby digital / DTS ) audio via the HDMI port.

The second problem I have is with Linux in general and not just Saluki. Its the lack of a good / fast image viewer. The fastest yet is Geeqie but that will not load network shares. ( it will find the /mnt/network/share folder but no files or folders on the share ) On local files Geeqie is fast but i still have to wait for the image to load. The other images viewers i have tested is the inbuildt Ristretto, Gpicviwer and Viewnor from Racy. They will use 3 seconds to load a 16mp image file. Filesize aprox 5MB. I find it so strange that windows 7 image viewers has no problem doing this fast and very fast on image viewers like "www.fastpictureviewer.com/ or www.faststone.org" is this because we lack DirectX ?

anyways have fun testing the 22, i have it installed on a flash drive. Just need to dare try it :)
I've added GLiv image viewer to the repo. It should be hardware accelerated. Maybe it'll be faster for large files.