Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
HiDeHo

#3016 Post by HiDeHo »

Does saluki have the option to run as spot or the fido user account ability, both are handy as at times soem apps dont work, i cant join an irc channel as puppy is root by default and my irc client is in root.

so how do i use spot and Fido to do this.

edit: found we have spot.so i tested with pidgin.

Code: Select all

su spot -c pidgin.
I just add that code to the desktop app and it will run the app and user spot. would anyone know how i can make this system wide so all instances of pidgin or other apps will run as spot by default..

this is a test really so i can see how it is done. i am wanting to run irc client pidgin, xchat etc s spot mainly.

my options are as follows.
  1. run just the apps i need as spot.
  2. run the whole os as spot user.
  3. or run as fido user (if this ability is in saluki)
can anyone advise what is the best options.

I notice that running pidgin as spot i have now 2 pidgin instances. the origional /root/.puiple and /root/spot/purple making the save fiel bigger. is it safe to remove /root/.purple if i am only going to run pidgin as spot. I assume it is.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions you may have. .

greengeek

#3017 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:I was intending on releasing the xfce 4.10 beta/preview today, but it ate the partition table on my Windows partition and a couple of my USB drives sometime during development and I want to figure out why first.
I had a weird thing going on with Saluki20 the other day, where it was confusing a HDD partition and a USB stick partition. Both of the had the same name (Boot) and I wondered if that was confusing Saluki.

Sorry I don't have any real detail - it took me a few minutes to realise that it was mounting and unmounting the wrong partition and in the confusion I decided it was safest to just shut down. Didn't seem to lose any data, but just thought I'd mention it in case there was any common cause.

HiDeHo

#3018 Post by HiDeHo »

here are some things i noticed today
  1. midori browser cant even play youtube videos. (maybe midori does not by default look for the flashplayer in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins like other browsers. where would i put the plugin for midori). i have the flashplayer installed and can use view youtube fine in the google chrome browser.
  2. there is no java app or sfs in ppm
I hope this helps.

jemimah

#3019 Post by jemimah »

Regarding the default browser - lets not start a big discussion about that. No matter what the default is, it will disappoint the majority of users. At this point there is no good choice for a default.

I personally strongly dislike nag screens telling that pop up and tell me what do do (like install a browser). That's one of the reasons I hate running Windows. Perhaps a message about it that comes up the first time midori is run would be less obtrusive.

Slickpet and the like were developed in response to the fact that the PPM was pretty unusable and unreliable. For me, it makes no sense to maintain two PPMs - I'd rather have just have one that works.

The saluki website is nearly ready for action. That will be the ideal place to put documentation and introductory information.

l2ulinux

Saluki

#3020 Post by l2ulinux »

I hope I did not upset you about the Midori browser. I understand you wanted a small browser and it fit for use and size. If they would check many Linux releases are starting to install it as start-up browser.

And you are right about Windows, I also only use I/E when I really have to.
We can use what you want there are install one we like better.

jemimah

#3021 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded 022.

Have a recovery strategy in place before testing this one, just in case.

Do let me know if you any of your disks end up corrupted - I think that issue is fixed, but I'm not 100% sure.

The new XFCE is very nice.

jemimah

Re: Saluki

#3022 Post by jemimah »

l2ulinux wrote:I hope I did not upset you about the Midori browser. I understand you wanted a small browser and it fit for use and size. If they would check many Linux releases are starting to install it as start-up browser.

And you are right about Windows, I also only use I/E when I really have to.
We can use what you want there are install one we like better.
No not a problem. It's only that browser choice always ends up to be a heated and aggravating discussion - right up there with religion and politics.

Geoffrey

#3023 Post by Geoffrey »

The first thing that I found is that if a menu or control panel item is dragged to desktop it removes it from the menu, control panel, can't put it back.

Billtoo

Saluki

#3024 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to a 4gb flash drive.

Saluki, version 022 on Tue 8 May 2012

Chip description:
5.0 VGA compatible controller
ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS
product: RS690 01.00

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: radeon

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

# glxgears
785 frames in 5.0 seconds = 156.988 FPS
773 frames in 5.0 seconds = 154.575 FPS
786 frames in 5.0 seconds = 157.073 FPS

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Memory 1812MB (226MB used)

Haven't tested 22 much yet but will later, good so far.
Attachments
screen.jpg
(24.97 KiB) Downloaded 784 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Tue 08 May 2012, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

l2ulinux

Saluki-22

#3025 Post by l2ulinux »

The XFCE Desktop Setting in the Control Panel will not let you set the choice of the background. I played around with it single image and image list and got it to set my choice. It was after clicking on each several times before it landed on the right one. When switching between the two it would change the background when clicking back to image list almost every time to a new background.

When setting up my savefile and rebooting it did not save my choice of background but everything else seems to work ok.

If no one else has this problem I will download again and start over.

l2ulinux

Saluki-22

#3026 Post by l2ulinux »

Computer:

Processor 4x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU D525 @ 1.80GHz
Memory 2064MB (186MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 08 May 2012 03:09:08 PM CDT

Operating System:

Version
Kernel Linux 3.2.8-ski (i686)
Compiled #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon Mar 12 16:42:30 EET 2012
C Library GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Unknown distribution
Current Session
Computer Name puppypc10462
User Name root (root)
Home Directory /root
Desktop Environment XFCE 4
Misc
Uptime 1 hour, 53 minutes
Load Average 0.02, 0.14, 0.19

jemimah

#3027 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:The first thing that I found is that if a menu or control panel item is dragged to desktop it removes it from the menu, control panel, can't put it back.
Yeah I just noticed that. Hopefully I can find a fix.

jemimah

Re: Saluki-22

#3028 Post by jemimah »

l2ulinux wrote:The XFCE Desktop Setting in the Control Panel will not let you set the choice of the background. I played around with it single image and image list and got it to set my choice. It was after clicking on each several times before it landed on the right one. When switching between the two it would change the background when clicking back to image list almost every time to a new background.

When setting up my savefile and rebooting it did not save my choice of background but everything else seems to work ok.

If no one else has this problem I will download again and start over.
You need to use single image and browse to the image you want. I can't figure out how to get this version to show all images in /usr/share/backgrounds like the last one did.

HiDeHo

#3029 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:Regarding the default browser - lets not start a big discussion about that. No matter what the default is, it will disappoint the majority of users. At this point there is no good choice for a default
there is no suitable browser. firefox, chrome, opera and even seamonkey are all good browsers. i know you choose midori because if size.which is better than what lupu has by default. which is dillo (only good for reading html files). i dont see a pet for google chrome/chromium in the repose but found a chrome sfs file that works.
jemimah wrote:I personally strongly dislike nag screens telling that pop up and tell me what do do (like install a browser). That's one of the reasons I hate running Windows. Perhaps a message about it that comes up the first time midori is run would be less obtrusive.
I totally agree with this to a point. one screen detailing the changes adn differences etc is good for a first time boot.
jemimah wrote:Slickpet and the like were developed in response to the fact that the PPM was pretty unusable and unreliable. For me, it makes no sense to maintain two PPMs - I'd rather have just have one that works.
I agree 2 repos is a bit silly. The only good thing about slickpet etc is that it has all the common things people keep asking for eg dropbox, java, and other great stuff, and i like the layout look and feel.. the default ppm in most puppies in not really that bad anyway, it just needs to be maintained. (i never understood why they needed 2 really. and to uninstall pets you still have to use ppm). i noticed that a few apps are missing from saluki atm like dropbox sfs, java, take a look what is in them if people would be happy to build them for the saluki community it would help. and save jemimiah allot of work.
jemimah wrote:The saluki website is nearly ready for action. That will be the ideal place to put documentation and introductory information.
excellent keep it up. a website with relevent links to stuff would be great idea. Hopefully you will have some help maintaining that. its a big ask for one person to be the main it.
HiDeHo is an ideas man. loves to come up with ideas that others think are good and can use
[b]if you are a sneeky computer geek check out sneekygeekers [url=http://www.sneekygeekers.com]click here[/url][/b]

HiDeHo

#3030 Post by HiDeHo »

HiDeHo wrote:Does saluki have the option to run as spot or the fido user account ability, both are handy as at times soem apps dont work, i cant join an irc channel as puppy is root by default and my irc client is in root.

so how do i use spot and Fido to do this.

edit: found we have spot.so i tested with pidgin.

Code: Select all

su spot -c pidgin.
I just add that code to the desktop app and it will run the app and user spot. would anyone know how i can make this system wide so all instances of pidgin or other apps will run as spot by default..

this is a test really so i can see how it is done. i am wanting to run irc client pidgin, xchat etc s spot mainly.

my options are as follows.
  1. run just the apps i need as spot.
  2. run the whole os as spot user.
  3. or run as fido user (if this ability is in saluki)
can anyone advise what is the best options.

I notice that running pidgin as spot i have now 2 pidgin instances. the origional /root/.puiple and /root/spot/purple making the save fiel bigger. is it safe to remove /root/.purple if i am only going to run pidgin as spot. I assume it is.

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions you may have.
after testing some things out i noticed that i cant run midori or my chrome.sfs as user spot. but i can run pidgin, thunderbird.sfs, skype.sfs as spot. running as spot does add a 2nd set of user files in /root/spot so i removed the original ones from /root to save space in the save file.

i notice there is no documents in /usr/share/doc for spot and not much i found in the forums. will keep searching till i do.
Last edited by HiDeHo on Tue 08 May 2012, 22:24, edited 3 times in total.
HiDeHo is an ideas man. loves to come up with ideas that others think are good and can use
[b]if you are a sneeky computer geek check out sneekygeekers [url=http://www.sneekygeekers.com]click here[/url][/b]

l2ulinux

Saluki-22

#3031 Post by l2ulinux »

Misc:

Uptime 3 hours, 53 minutes
Load Average 0.07, 0.07, 0.06

Everything works good so far.

Geoffrey

#3032 Post by Geoffrey »

Another small glitch, taking a screenshot now adds date and time, this is not up-loadable to the forum in this format.

eg: Screenshot - 090512 - 12:36:21.png is an invalid filename

the colon gives the error, Screenshot - 090512 - 123621.png is fine.

It does add spaces to file names, this maybe a problem also.

Billtoo

#3033 Post by Billtoo »

Geoffrey wrote:Another small glitch, taking a screenshot now adds date and time, this is not up-loadable to the forum in this format.

eg: Screenshot - 090512 - 12:36:21.png is an invalid filename

the colon gives the error, Screenshot - 090512 - 123621.png is fine.

It does add spaces to file names, this maybe a problem also.
I use the screenshot app and then load the screenshot into mtpaint,
then under the image menu option use Scale Canvas and make it 599x499
(on a 1280x1024 screenshot) and save it as a jpg file with a new name
and a quality of 50.
It reduced the size of this screenshot from 833.5 KB to 29.41 KB
Attachments
screen2.jpg
(29.41 KiB) Downloaded 955 times

James C

#3034 Post by James C »

Because of the XFCE upgrade, fresh manual frugal install of Saluki 022 on my Athlon XP box.Other than downloading Firefox as quickly as possible and experimenting with getting the wallpaper changed things went really smooth. Looking good. :)

# report-video
Saluki, version 022 on Tue 8 May 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
Summary
Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory 1033MB (166MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 08 May 2012 11:44:25 PM CDT
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter VIA8233 - VIA 8235

Geoffrey

#3035 Post by Geoffrey »

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Screenshot-7.png is more convenient than Screenshot - 090512 - 12:48:20.png, especially if I want to post a small selection of the screen, it cuts out the keyboard and other application from the process, as a general rule for full screenshots, I use mtpaint to size them so they are visible in the post rather than having to open a new page to view them :wink: