Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
battleshooter

#2911 Post by battleshooter »

jemimah wrote:After working with the preview all of last week I have Xfce4.10 mostly working now. I need a few more days to work out all the kinks but I should have it ready by the weekend.
Totally looking forward to XFCE4 :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

greengeek

Re: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 to avoid re-login at shutdown

#2912 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote:Updated: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2.pet
@greengeek, Sage and whom concern the shutdown problem: Try this pet.
The pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 contains improved code to avoid re-login at shutdown.
Arigato Shinobar San. That seems to work well. Thank you to all who worked on this.

jemimah

Re: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 to avoid re-login at shutdown

#2913 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:
@jemimah
You need not insert the code 'alsactrl store' in the rc.shutdown. It is done in the 10alsa and should be there.
Actually I tested without it and the problem remains.

jemimah

#2914 Post by jemimah »

jakfish wrote:jemimah, yes, when downloading the touchscreen calibrator from luki repo, it installs and runs fine. However, I can't pull off the actual calibration. It never finishes; eventually, I get a "misclick"

So I'm stuck with a rough touchscreen, meaning that I can open or move icons and other large things, but no finger scrolling or other finer work.

Another thing I noticed: the calibration tool did not end up in Menu/System after installation.

Re: XFCE. First time I've used it, and I'm wondering if there's any way to delete icon text under desktop icons. On a small screen, the icons themselves are good enough explanations.

I see the shut-down complaints, but saluki's shut-down on this machine is the fastest I've seen in Linux, go figure.

Frisbee played nice with the wifi.

More as I go along.

Googling tells me that Linux kernels are indeed getting rid of evtouch and replacing it with evdev. Dunno how I feel about that since I'm having far more trouble with touchscreen here than in dpup exprimo.

Best,
Jake
Maybe try these instructions for tweaking it manually.
http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2010/10 ... -1010.html

jemimah

#2915 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:Let me first clarify that what's next is not a criticism of any kind but rather an inquiry.
I find Saluki the most visually appealing puppy and the one the with the most "surprise free" repo.

I have noticed that starting around luki 017 the builds are becoming increasingly slower. For a Saluki target, modern machine the differences are almost unnoticed, but I'm mode'ing puppies for a really low specs machine (for the fun of it even if it is not a "target hardware") and there the differences are more than obvious. This is true either with the base only or (more so) with the base and adrive.
Given that from 016 onwards there are mostly "Various fixes and enhancements", and the basic UI and apps are mostly the same, I was wondering why is that.
Is it just because of workarounds on bugs and extra fail-safes? New (not immediately obvious) features? More demanding enhancements? More dependencies? Stale code? Other? Am I just plain wrong?

Obviously I'm not asking for Saluki to role back or start supporting older hardware. I'm just curious (ok... maybe just a tad concerned too :D ).
Slow in what way?

I have increased the delayedrun delay a couple of times because startup items were not always loading on my slow test machine. Other than that no major changes recently except the ISO size has increased by a few MB.

shinobar

alsactrl store

#2916 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:@jemimah
You need not insert the code 'alsactrl store' in the rc.shutdown. It is done in the 10alsa and should be there.
jemimah wrote:Actually I tested without it and the problem remains.
Was needed until Saluki-19. No need for Saluki-20 and 21.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

jakfish

#2917 Post by jakfish »

That help sheet from ubuntu and touchscreens did lend some assistance, thanks.

You have to install an xinput pet, then jiggle the calibration handle from there.

In my dpup exprimo setup, in xorg, I replicated the same settings in saluki and find the same drop-off in touchscreen accuracy. So this is not a saluki or specific kernel problem.

By the way, is it possible to lose the icon text below desktop icons? XFCE seems to want at least one character of text. And if so, is there any way make the text bubble transparent?

Jake

jemimah

#2918 Post by jemimah »

I believe the trick for transparent labels is to add something like this to the /root/.gtkrc-2.0

Code: Select all

style “xfdesktop-icon-view

mavrothal

#2919 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote: Slow in what way?
OK. I did run some comparisons on 015 vs 021 (identical hardware, USB stick, kernel and features)
015 is ~10% faster from cold boot to connected desktop when only the base is running (57" to 63") or 8% with the adrive (85" to 92"). Apps open from a split second to a second slower in 021, screen rotation takes 3-4" more to settle.
These are with the pfix=nocopy to minimize cache writes. Loading to RAM the differences remain but the times become longer.

021 is also using ~5MB more RAM (base only).
Actually the use of RAM looks rather heavy. With the adrive and "nocopy" is about ~220MB immediately after boot (and ~170MB with the base only). The official Fedora-17/Gnome build for this machine needs ~200MB and other recent puppies (Racy, Slacko) 130-140MB.

Anyway, I do not think is anything to sweat about.We are talking about a 500MHz/256MB machine here, so in your low-end 1.5GHz/512RAM machine differences are practically zero.
But as I said I'm just curious (since you are not publishing woof/mods/changes/hacks :wink: )
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Karl Godt

#2920 Post by Karl Godt »

Now I suspect the code 'fuser -k' and the equivalent code. Hopefully i will offer its fix in a couple of days.
Yup , the fuser line looks pretty unuseable :

If i open a terminal inside a mountpoint like /mnt/sda1
and

/usr/bin/fuser -m /mnt/sda1
i get something like
/mnt/sda1: 18259c 18260c
With busybox fuser it should look like

busybox fuser -m /mnt/sda1
18259 18260
which is much more suitable for
xFUSER=`fuser -m $ONESTRAYMNT 2>/dev/null`
[ "$xFUSER" != "" ] && fuser -k -m $ONESTRAYMNT 2>/dev/null
could be like

xFUSER=`busybox fuser -m $ONESTRAYMNT`
[ "$xFUSER" ] && kill -9 $xFUSER
I LIKE BUSYBOX :) BASTA !

But this is a WOOF thingy (again) ..

jakfish

#2921 Post by jakfish »

Hi, jemimah,

Many thanks for the tip. To make things transparent in /root/gtkrc-2.0, it turns out that this also needed:

style "xfdesktop-icon-view" {
XfdesktopIconView::label-alpha = 0
}
widget_class "*XfdesktopIconView*" style "xfdesktop-icon-view"

Do that, reduce the custom font of the desktop icons (that's a clever option of XFCE) to 4, and with black font on blue background, the text is gone.

Much nicer and thanks for your help.

Jake

oliverjames

Re: Savefile update 020 to 021

#2922 Post by oliverjames »

jemimah wrote:Upgrading the save file has always been like this. Most of the time it works - sometimes EPIC FAIL for no apparent reason.

Booting with pfix=purge may or may not fix a bad save file.

You can build a personal sfs with all the pets you normally install using the sfs builder. But this will not be able to overwrite any configuration settings that exist in the adrive or the pupsfs since extra sfses are mounted on the bottom of the union. But you could fix that by converting your personal sfs to a pet instead.

Maybe a pet-builder would be useful.
Mmm, food for thought, thank you, following your leads.

Geoffrey

#2923 Post by Geoffrey »

Geoffrey wrote: I just tried adding another save as a backup by copying and renaming the save file which is located in the /mnt/home/saluki.
When I reboot it finds both save files and gives me the option to load:
0 none
1 lukisave.4fs
2 lukisave-bak.4fs

If I select either 1 or 2 neither are loaded, so it clean boots, this on a usb install, so it appears to have a problem
Just thought I'd ask if anyone else is have a similar problem with multiple save files

Marv

Multiple save files

#2924 Post by Marv »

Geoffrey wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: I just tried adding another save as a backup by copying and renaming the save file which is located in the /mnt/home/saluki.
0 none
1 lukisave.4fs
2 lukisave-bak.4fs

If I select either 1 or 2 neither are loaded, so it clean boots, this on a usb install, so it appears to have a problem
Just thought I'd ask if anyone else is have a similar problem with multiple save files
I just used exactly the same procedure to add another save and reboot on my frugal grub4dos install of 021 on an ataflash card. No problems there. It lets me select either save file. Not quite an apples-apples comparison so I'll try it on a USB install when I'm on a laptop where I don't have to use PLOP to boot USB. For what it's worth, my directory is /mnt/home/Saluki021 and my save files are lukisave-021.2fs and lukisave-021bak.2fs.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

harroxelas

#2925 Post by harroxelas »

Hi all,

Saluki is fantastic! It's impressive how such a beautiful system can be so fast and responsive. Being my favourite WM, I've been looking forward to try a "xfced" puppy.

I do have a question though:

I installed Saluki 021 on a usb stick, chose the "copy to ram" option and chose to save sessions only on shutdown (using PupSaveConfig). I tried but I couldn't unmount the usb stick after the system has loaded. Is it possible to unmount the usb stick after the system has loaded?

Congratulations on this awesome work.

Thanks in advance.

Marv

Multiple save files

#2926 Post by Marv »

Geoffrey wrote:
0 none
1 lukisave.4fs
2 lukisave-bak.4fs

Repeated above procedure, this time on a usb frugal install of 021 (fat32 part, syslinux, .2fs save files ). No problem switching between save files here either.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Geoffrey

Re: Multiple save files

#2927 Post by Geoffrey »

Marv wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
0 none
1 lukisave.4fs
2 lukisave-bak.4fs

Repeated above procedure, this time on a usb frugal install of 021 (fat32 part, syslinux, .2fs save files ). No problem switching between save files here either.
Thanks for testing that Marv, I'll have to try it on another usb stick, I have been using the same one only updating the required files for the newer versions of Saluki.

I don't use CD's I extract the files from the ISO, as long as the usb is bootable it should work every time,
the only difference from yours I see is that mine are .4fs save files, I wonder if that might have something to do with it?

Mean while back at the ranch...........

Well I've tried everything, no success, I burnt the ISO to dvd booted from it and then created a USB,
it booted made a save file rebooted works ok, copied the save and renamed, reboot see's the two saves but won't load either one,
I tried with 2fs and 4fs save files, tried this on two different usb sticks a verbatim 4gig and a imation 2gig no joy oh! the USB's are formated fat32, any idea's?

greengeek

Re: Multiple save files

#2928 Post by greengeek »

Geoffrey wrote: If I select either 1 or 2 neither are loaded, so it clean boots, this on a usb install, so it appears to have a problem
If you have time I would probably suggest trying the same process with Racy 5.2.2 and/or Racy 5.3 as they are quite similar to Saluki in many ways.
I think it would be a good comparison to see if this is a bug or not.

Payoon

Bug in Gnumeric

#2929 Post by Payoon »

Sorry, first posted in wrong place.

Hi folks,
in Saluki there is a bug in gnumeric. When you cut certain cells and want to paste it in another worksheet the clipboard is empty, but the selected cells in the source worksheet are also gone. They can't be restored with undo.
I have seen this bug in other puppies ( lucid 520 with gnumeric 1.10.12 ), but it doesn't happen in lucid 528 with gnumeric 1.10.13).
Otherwise: Saluki is great, especially the custom puplet builder.
Regards:

Payoon

canin

proposals

#2930 Post by canin »

first of all: thank you for xfce-verve

trying to read up, i doubt its is the best time to post some requests or proposals...
but since the work on saluki is astonishing and im full of admiring and thank you, i do:

a necessary tool, ready for the repos:
- set-time-for-puppies http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=12690
(couldnt change it per date command, which im used to)

a mediaplayer, which is rather unique (doesnt need connect to lastfm) and is very convenient (with large music libraries)
- quodlibet exfalso

found a minimalist playlist-player which works, is maybe ready for repos and is no dependency-h*ll
- xhippo http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 017#306017

2 games which may be "suitable", or not
- urquanmasters
- planeshift[/url]
Last edited by canin on Tue 01 May 2012, 18:51, edited 2 times in total.