Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#2896 Post by jemimah »

If you want to be taken seriously - it's best to avoid ranting, trolling, and posting flamebait. Bug reports carry no weight from people whom I question their sanity.
Sage wrote:
This is good detective work.
Yes that has to be the conclusion if both rc.shutdown & rc.shutdown.pupdev are text files, and one works, but the other doesn't.
The question is, why are we getting these reports now. It must be something that changed recently or it could be a coincidence I guess.
Looking down the thread a little, the comment 'shutdown is incredibly fast', which I notice using rc.shutdown.pupdev, and earlier comments about timing seem to be self-consistent.

Strange that a couple of pages back, myself and a couple of other (non-coding users?) were being branded as basket cases and labelled with inappropriate acronyms! As PD observes 'it goes with the territory'. One needs clever coders and a plethora of bog std. users to pick up these bizarre events. My earlier comments about not releasing to gold until polish was gleaming were never intended as a personal snub. Check my previous comments about our beloved instigator, even back as far as Pupeee and my personal accolades by way of nickname, we all think she's wonderful. Code writing and debugging is no different to any other branch of scientific research and development - painful, extended, sometimes subject to disbelief, even ridicule, but it generally all comes out smelling of roses in the fullness of time. Just need to keep going...

Sage

#2897 Post by Sage »

Apology accepted!

shinobar

Re: respawn

#2898 Post by shinobar »

shinobar wrote:Well, I reproduced the greengeek's case (USB flash install, save the session to the partition). Used the firstrun-debug-shutdown, and foud that the rc.shutdown kills its parent 'reboot'(or 'poweroff') and itself at the last stage. I don't know why, but maybe woof bug. It occurs PUPMODE=7 on saluki-21 but maybe all recent Puppies. I don't know about PUPMODE=6 (save the session in the internal HDD partition). I am not sure if it is related with PUPMODE=2 (Sage's case).
I also suspect that similar case can occur under PUPMODE=5 and/or under other cases, somewhere in the script rc.shutdown.
I think PUPMODE=7 is special case. But similar problem may occur under other mode by chance.
Now I suspect the code 'fuser -k' and the equivalent code. Hopefully i will offer its fix in a couple of days. :wink:
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

jakfish

#2899 Post by jakfish »

As usual, jemimah, you did it. Replacing evtouch with evdev in xorg.conf does the trick.

The touchscreen does need more calibration, so I've installed the pet xinput_calibrator. Installs fine, but:

xinput_calibrator: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by xinput_calibrator)

I looked through this thread and saw that a Bible program also needed this lib. I haven't yet found it--any place in particular I should look?

Thanks again for the evdev/evtouch help,
Jake

jim3630

#2900 Post by jim3630 »

Sage wrote: Strange that a couple of pages back, myself and a couple of other (non-coding users?) were being branded as basket cases and labelled with inappropriate acronyms! As PD observes 'it goes with the territory'...
read again... it was just you. don't flatter yourself your not in the same territory as PD.

others worked with shinobar and Karl but you played dumb
and would not work with shinobar who just 4 posts before yours posted a pet tool.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 793#623793

-------

"apology accepted" what world are you in?

greengeek

Re: debugging tool

#2901 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote:Attached the rc.shutdown for debugging for whom the shutdown problem concern. Install the PET. You are warned because it will replace the existing /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown, but proceed. Shutdown or reboot. The console gives prompt with '?'. Press [Enter]-key to proceed.
As for the PUPMODE=7, greengeek's case,press [S]-key at only one place where you are offered to skip.
Thanks Shinobar. After installing the pet, my machine goes through the steps you listed:

Cleaning up some temprary files. OK?
Cleaning up some temprary files... Done.
Unmount stray filesystems?
Unmounting stray filesystems... Done.
Swapoff?
Swapoff... Done.
Kill bad PID's? ('s' for skip) .(I entered "s")
Remount SAVE_LAYER?
Remounting SAVE_LAYER ...Done.
Umount ntfs?
All done. Goobye?

Then the machine did shut off successfully, and did not reboot automatically. (Excellent!). Yes it is a slow way to shut down, but it is much quicker than waiting for the faulty shutdown/reboot loop. Also, it is better than having to do the hard reset, which is bad for the hard drive. At least this way I can use Saluki ok until the full fix.

However, the pet did not change the symptom I mentioned here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... start=2865
(I didnt really think that symptom was related to the faulty shutdown, but I was hopeful that it might be :-) :-( )

mavrothal

#2902 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote:It would appear that retrovol-saluki is broken in 020+. Specifically the icon does not show in the tray, though it works fine (eg responds to right-click etc).
Maybe related to the recent icon dir changes?
Any symlink that could solve this?
BTW where is the source? Barry's source for 0.10 and 0.12 does not compile (without "magic") in 021.
I've fixed retrovol in the repo.
The updated pet works fine.

However I must be missing something because compiling the source you posted I get

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/gcc/i486-t2-linux-gnu/4.3.4/../../../../i486-t2-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgobject-2.0
although libgobject-2.0.so .la and headers are all in place
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#2903 Post by jemimah »

jakfish wrote:As usual, jemimah, you did it. Replacing evtouch with evdev in xorg.conf does the trick.

The touchscreen does need more calibration, so I've installed the pet xinput_calibrator. Installs fine, but:

xinput_calibrator: /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4.11' not found (required by xinput_calibrator)

I looked through this thread and saw that a Bible program also needed this lib. I haven't yet found it--any place in particular I should look?

Thanks again for the evdev/evtouch help,
Jake
Did you install xinput-calibrator from the saluki repo. I think you got it from somewhere else.

If you get that error there's no fixing it by adding a lib. Updating glibc requires a recompile of the whole system,

If you have any requests for the saluki repo just let me know.

jemimah

#2904 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote:It would appear that retrovol-saluki is broken in 020+. Specifically the icon does not show in the tray, though it works fine (eg responds to right-click etc).
BTW where is the source? Barry's source for 0.10 and 0.12 does not compile (without "magic") in 021.

However I must be missing something because compiling the source you posted I get

/usr/lib/gcc/i486-t2-linux-gnu/4.3.4/../../../../i486-t2-linux-gnu/bin/ld: cannot find -lgobject-2.0
I think this might be the result of a failed upgrade or a mismatched devx. Make sure the libgobject.so file is a valid link.

shelezyaka

#2905 Post by shelezyaka »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:

Try this binary. Put it in /usr/local/bin/ directory and in /root/Startup make a link to it. The controller will appear in the tray.
Attachments
trayVolumeCtrl.tar.gz
(20.2 KiB) Downloaded 176 times
AMD X2 4400+ Nvidia 440 GTS RAM 3 Gb модем CCU-550 (1x- EVDO PEOPLENET.ua) WiFi D-link DWA-525. CиÑ￾тема уÑ￾тановленна ВСЕГДÐ￾ FULL !

jemimah

#2906 Post by jemimah »

After working with the preview all of last week I have Xfce4.10 mostly working now. I need a few more days to work out all the kinks but I should have it ready by the weekend.

greengeek

#2907 Post by greengeek »

Brown Mouse wrote:I see the same thing when booting Lucid 528-05 from an sdhc on my Acer Aspire one netbook.
Hi Brown Mouse, I would be very keen to know if you see the same symptom if you did exactly the same install with Saluki, and also with Racy NOP 5.2.2 (which doesn't seem to suffer the same effect)

Any chance you might have the time to trial such a thing? It might be possible that Saluki and Lucid 528.005 share some similar code that Racy NOP does not share. I would be keen to pin down the problem because this sort of thing discourages newcomers on the first attempt.

I will see if I can trial Lucid on my Acer too.

shinobar

pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 to avoid re-login at shutdown

#2908 Post by shinobar »

Updated: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2.pet (2012-04-30)
Download from http://shino.pos.to/linux/puppy/.
# v2.2.2 29apr12: deeper layer subdirectory (zekebaby), remove legacy, rc.shutdown: avoid re-login, VERBOSE message, wmpoweroff and wmreboot: startxface4 (Saluki compatible)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 085#624085

@greengeek, Sage and whom concern the shutdown problem: Try this pet.
The pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 contains improved code to avoid re-login at shutdown.

@jemimah, Karl, and whom interested in the code on the shutdown issue:
The point is not to kill myself nor parent. I suspected the '.fuser -k', and made a function 'killfuser', which checks out the PID. I guess the killzombies has no problem.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 094#624094

@jemimah
You need not insert the code 'alsactrl store' in the rc.shutdown. It is done in the 10alsa and should be there.
Last edited by shinobar on Mon 30 Apr 2012, 09:16, edited 3 times in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

jakfish

#2909 Post by jakfish »

jemimah, yes, when downloading the touchscreen calibrator from luki repo, it installs and runs fine. However, I can't pull off the actual calibration. It never finishes; eventually, I get a "misclick"

So I'm stuck with a rough touchscreen, meaning that I can open or move icons and other large things, but no finger scrolling or other finer work.

Another thing I noticed: the calibration tool did not end up in Menu/System after installation.

Re: XFCE. First time I've used it, and I'm wondering if there's any way to delete icon text under desktop icons. On a small screen, the icons themselves are good enough explanations.

I see the shut-down complaints, but saluki's shut-down on this machine is the fastest I've seen in Linux, go figure.

Frisbee played nice with the wifi.

More as I go along.

Googling tells me that Linux kernels are indeed getting rid of evtouch and replacing it with evdev. Dunno how I feel about that since I'm having far more trouble with touchscreen here than in dpup exprimo.

Best,
Jake

mavrothal

#2910 Post by mavrothal »

Let me first clarify that what's next is not a criticism of any kind but rather an inquiry.
I find Saluki the most visually appealing puppy and the one the with the most "surprise free" repo.

I have noticed that starting around luki 017 the builds are becoming increasingly slower. For a Saluki target, modern machine the differences are almost unnoticed, but I'm mode'ing puppies for a really low specs machine (for the fun of it even if it is not a "target hardware") and there the differences are more than obvious. This is true either with the base only or (more so) with the base and adrive.
Given that from 016 onwards there are mostly "Various fixes and enhancements", and the basic UI and apps are mostly the same, I was wondering why is that.
Is it just because of workarounds on bugs and extra fail-safes? New (not immediately obvious) features? More demanding enhancements? More dependencies? Stale code? Other? Am I just plain wrong?

Obviously I'm not asking for Saluki to role back or start supporting older hardware. I'm just curious (ok... maybe just a tad concerned too :D ).
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

battleshooter

#2911 Post by battleshooter »

jemimah wrote:After working with the preview all of last week I have Xfce4.10 mostly working now. I need a few more days to work out all the kinks but I should have it ready by the weekend.
Totally looking forward to XFCE4 :)
[url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94580]LMMS 1.0.2[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94593]Ardour 3.5.389[/url], [url=http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94629]Kdenlive 0.9.8[/url]

greengeek

Re: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 to avoid re-login at shutdown

#2912 Post by greengeek »

shinobar wrote:Updated: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2.pet
@greengeek, Sage and whom concern the shutdown problem: Try this pet.
The pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 contains improved code to avoid re-login at shutdown.
Arigato Shinobar San. That seems to work well. Thank you to all who worked on this.

jemimah

Re: pupsaveconfig-2.2.2 to avoid re-login at shutdown

#2913 Post by jemimah »

shinobar wrote:
@jemimah
You need not insert the code 'alsactrl store' in the rc.shutdown. It is done in the 10alsa and should be there.
Actually I tested without it and the problem remains.

jemimah

#2914 Post by jemimah »

jakfish wrote:jemimah, yes, when downloading the touchscreen calibrator from luki repo, it installs and runs fine. However, I can't pull off the actual calibration. It never finishes; eventually, I get a "misclick"

So I'm stuck with a rough touchscreen, meaning that I can open or move icons and other large things, but no finger scrolling or other finer work.

Another thing I noticed: the calibration tool did not end up in Menu/System after installation.

Re: XFCE. First time I've used it, and I'm wondering if there's any way to delete icon text under desktop icons. On a small screen, the icons themselves are good enough explanations.

I see the shut-down complaints, but saluki's shut-down on this machine is the fastest I've seen in Linux, go figure.

Frisbee played nice with the wifi.

More as I go along.

Googling tells me that Linux kernels are indeed getting rid of evtouch and replacing it with evdev. Dunno how I feel about that since I'm having far more trouble with touchscreen here than in dpup exprimo.

Best,
Jake
Maybe try these instructions for tweaking it manually.
http://setupguides.blogspot.com/2010/10 ... -1010.html

jemimah

#2915 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:Let me first clarify that what's next is not a criticism of any kind but rather an inquiry.
I find Saluki the most visually appealing puppy and the one the with the most "surprise free" repo.

I have noticed that starting around luki 017 the builds are becoming increasingly slower. For a Saluki target, modern machine the differences are almost unnoticed, but I'm mode'ing puppies for a really low specs machine (for the fun of it even if it is not a "target hardware") and there the differences are more than obvious. This is true either with the base only or (more so) with the base and adrive.
Given that from 016 onwards there are mostly "Various fixes and enhancements", and the basic UI and apps are mostly the same, I was wondering why is that.
Is it just because of workarounds on bugs and extra fail-safes? New (not immediately obvious) features? More demanding enhancements? More dependencies? Stale code? Other? Am I just plain wrong?

Obviously I'm not asking for Saluki to role back or start supporting older hardware. I'm just curious (ok... maybe just a tad concerned too :D ).
Slow in what way?

I have increased the delayedrun delay a couple of times because startup items were not always loading on my slow test machine. Other than that no major changes recently except the ISO size has increased by a few MB.