Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
DaveS

#2791 Post by DaveS »

Oh GOD I am so SICK of Midori! Never have I had such a love/hate relationship with a piece of software. Just now It hung and I had to kill it. Now it seg faults all the time. I just cant face another save file re-build.....
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#2792 Post by jemimah »

21js wrote:problem I have with Saluki

I cannot see how to view hard drive partition after the first time without unmounting it then remounting it again

However if I have neglected to unmount a .iso file before closing the file manager window it is not possible to unmount the drive nor return to the iso file to unmount it.

Perhaps I am missing something?
Mounted drives show up in Thunar side bar.

ISOs can be unmounted from the drive mounter applet. The are the ones with pluses in the name.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(61.99 KiB) Downloaded 670 times

jemimah

#2793 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:Oh GOD I am so SICK of Midori! Never have I had such a love/hate relationship with a piece of software. Just now It hung and I had to kill it. Now it seg faults all the time. I just cant face another save file re-build.....
Did you do an upgrade? My copy of midori .4.5 has been rock solid and I've been unable to crash it so far. But I always use a fresh save. You might be able to salvage it by deleting /root/.config/midori.

Sage

#2794 Post by Sage »

If only one person reports it
Please refer to http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 983#622983
and work on it by rerwin. We are not alone!
For the record, I might've overlooked reporting it until 21 arrived had it not been reported by another correspondent. Following the thread and rerwin's discourse shows that it has been reported previously (he doesn't report where, by whom and how often) and is a known bug, Sadly rerwin's patch aggravated the situation.
The good news is that UPGRADE to 21 from the misbehaving 20 seems to have cured it - at least for me. Should be some clues in there somewhere for the cognoscenti?

For the record, although I am NOT a coder, I don't tend to report spurious problems in alphas & betas, especially as I don't understand anything at all about the SW iteration procedures. Sometimes I misunderstand the coder-speak, but apart from that I try to find user issues likely to kill incomers interest at a stroke. It's very, very easy to deter users. Sadly, they'd be missing a first class piece of work with Saluki - we should all endeavour to avoid that.
Nothing personal, just trying to be a good scientist. It's all about collating observations from as wide a source as possible.

jemimah

#2795 Post by jemimah »

Anything in recent puplets is an unrelated coincidence. If it is now fixed, it was probably a bad install.

Developers are also easily deterred. Whining, sarcasm, etc makes me remember what a waste of time this all is.

DaveS

#2796 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote: makes me remember what a waste of time this all is.
Except for the overwhelming gratitude of the silent majority. Spurred on by the delight that is Saluki+Xfce, I downloaded the debian xfce edition of Mint. Download took two hours. St*ff me, it would not even boot!
Sure there are critics. If someone discovered a cure for cancer there would be a pressure group against it. Its just the nature of this utterly hopeless species.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#2797 Post by Sage »

Whining, sarcasm, etc
Might be guilty of 'etc', not the former pair. Don't forget Mr Churchill's exposition: two nations divided by a common language. One man's humour may be another woman's sarcasm?
As for 'waste of time', what else might one engage in? There's a giant asteroid with our name on it due in 2036. If we don't stop emitting, the next ice-age will be along sooner. If we don't stop breeding, we'll all die of thirst and starvation, assuming the usual expedient of mutual self-extinction doesn't takes us all out first?
What should we do? Read Dawkins?!
In the meantime, Saluki seems like a good idea.

PS. Sorry, Dave, never had an issue with any of the versions of Mint Xfce. Fully featured for all those bytes, no need to mess with FP & co. - it's all there, OOTB. Seems to be the consensus on Distrowatch, too.

jim3630

#2798 Post by jim3630 »

Sage wrote:
Whining, sarcasm, etc
Might be guilty of 'etc', not the former pair. .
1+ whinning sarcasm. I've posted this to you before.

you are the only one reporting it Saluki. this goes back to your earlier

inability to understand the first paragraph on the first page here.

you are one of the most if not the most bitching self important know it alls on this board. instead of trying to understand where she is coming from. she the programmer who has hand held you through pfix=nox. you try to argue your position. a self admitted self evident uneducated non programing skill level.

then you try to blame something else, language differences, grow up and take
some responsibility instead of harassing hard working people.

--------
again in your last post your off topic. you have been asked before not
to use this thread to air your unrelated opinions.

your a big bullying baby.

---

oh, not to forget your self proclaimed bigot and slanderer.
Last edited by jim3630 on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 18:12, edited 2 times in total.

jemimah

#2799 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:
Except for the overwhelming gratitude of the silent majority. Spurred on by the delight that is Saluki+Xfce, I downloaded the debian xfce edition of Mint. Download took two hours. St*ff me, it would not even boot!
Sure there are critics. If someone discovered a cure for cancer there would be a pressure group against it. Its just the nature of this utterly hopeless species.
It's not really the users that make it feel like a waste of time. The waste is that it takes so many hours, but then it's worthless in a short time if you don't maintain it. It's like a plant that needs to be watered constantly. To what end?

DaveS

#2800 Post by DaveS »

jemimah wrote:it's worthless in a short time if you don't maintain it. It's like a plant that needs to be watered constantly. To what end?
That is not entirely true. XP? Still the worlds most used distro. Sometimes, a line has to be drawn.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

greengeek

#2801 Post by greengeek »

I have installed Saluki 20 to a usb stick on my one year old Acer netbook and when I attempt to shut down it goes through the savefile save, then reboots itself back to the desktop. (No problems with Racy NOP installed by same method, and no problems with WinXP on hard drive so I assume hware is ok)

Looking at some recent forum postings there are a variety of similar issues. My problem is reproducible so if anyone wants me to post any further info, or try specific alterations please advise.

greengeek

#2802 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote: The waste is that it takes so many hours, but then it's worthless in a short time if you don't maintain it
I maintain about 20 different PCs running different versions of Puppy for family and friends, and have found that once a particular version runs well I don't need to keep up with further changes.

Just because version x gets updated later to version z (for other good reasons...) does not negate the value of version x.

Did Michaelangelo discard his work in the Cistine chapel just because his later paintings were better? No.

Every version of Puppy is a work of art and most find a loving home somewhere. Even puppies that break a leg are cute and lovable. Eventually the bones heal and they sprint again.
:-)

JackWagon

#2803 Post by JackWagon »

It's like a plant that needs to be watered constantly. To what end?
YES, but this plant happens to be a beautiful flower that requires nurturing, like us and Sage.
Unfortunately, like us, it has a life expectancy also.

It appears saluki will have some long lasting impressions. :)

A bit sappy if I don't say so m'self. NPI

JW
Last edited by JackWagon on Thu 26 Apr 2012, 20:02, edited 1 time in total.

elroy

#2804 Post by elroy »

jemimah wrote:Whining, sarcasm, etc makes me remember what a waste of time this all is.

The waste is that it takes so many hours, but then it's worthless in a short time if you don't maintain it. It's like a plant that needs to be watered constantly. To what end?
To what end? I guess the same end you were looking to in the beginning. The first two paragraphs of the first post on this thread describes the goal. And you've been managing to succeed towards that direction. And very well, may I add. You've definitely made me a major fan of Saluki. I don't use any other distro: Windows, Puppy, or otherwise. You have new users interested in your Saluki; some have recently registered on the board because they're genuinely interested. And you have some stubborn longtime users (might be hundreds...possibly just one :) ) constantly trying to put a square peg into a round hole. I'd call that a pretty successful start to Saluki when you take into account that it isn't even an officially released distro.

Certainly the burden of being everything to everyone has to be taking a toll. But quitting isn't the answer. Taking a break certainly could help put air beneath your wings, though. So what if Saluki stays at beta 021 for a few weeks - would it really hurt anything in the long run? There'd be a couple of weeks worth of feedback when you return, and you may find your battery recharged. You may even have an epiphany. Some of us users may even start to figure it out :roll: I started to play guitar in ‘73. I find that putting it aside for a week or two actually improves my playing. Sometimes immersion helps, but sometimes stepping back helps just as much. It might be time to pace yourself - to throttle back a bit if you will. Besides, didn't someone once say that the fun is in the journey, not the destination? And with software, is there really ever a destination? We'd all be using CP/M, 86-DOS, DOS 1.0, or some other archaic operating system if there were any sort of destination to be had. Probably toggling switches to enter binary commands one at a time. Yuck!

I for one appreciate very much what you've put forth. And the advice you give. I would think it'd be a shame if you gave up on Saluki - but I wouldn't think less of you if you decided to take a break.

To what end? Watering the plant, that is? I guess its because it makes it beautiful. Watering gives it life.

jemimah

#2805 Post by jemimah »

Just to clarify - I am not thinking about quitting right now. I have a nihilistic, solipsistic streak that tortures me, but I try not to pay attention to it - lest I disappear in a puff of logic.

I think I have a an engagement at work next week so that will be a welcome change of pace. Bummer that it happens the same week the new xfce comes out.

On a more positive note, akash_rawal has written the necessary piece of code to make native thunar drive handling work. So we will have real desktop drive icons and a more intuitive drive interface in Thunar.

nooby

#2806 Post by nooby »

I am too naive and too optimistic many times.
I dl the Chrome fbrowser sfs for Saluki and
tried to get it going in Lupu. I guess they are
too different for that to work. It did not load.

I made a search for Chrome for Lupu but
maybe used wrong search word.

Hope it is okay to ask here?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jemimah

#2807 Post by jemimah »

greengeek wrote:I have installed Saluki 20 to a usb stick on my one year old Acer netbook and when I attempt to shut down it goes through the savefile save, then reboots itself back to the desktop. (No problems with Racy NOP installed by same method, and no problems with WinXP on hard drive so I assume hware is ok)

Looking at some recent forum postings there are a variety of similar issues. My problem is reproducible so if anyone wants me to post any further info, or try specific alterations please advise.
OK, two reports - maybe not just a fluke.

Is it fixed in 21? Does it work if you pick US English for the locale?

Does downgrading to the old pupsaveconfig fix it?
http://smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages ... -2.0.1.pet

shevan

#2808 Post by shevan »

nice desktop.

I am waiting for release

greengeek

#2809 Post by greengeek »

jemimah wrote:Is it fixed in 21? Does it work if you pick US English for the locale?

Does downgrading to the old pupsaveconfig fix it?
]
Ok, I will investigate these things after work. First, a question: I tried to make a backup copy of my savefile so I can come back to a known set of circumstances during troubleshooting. The problem is - I can't find the savefile.

I look in home and see the three .sfs files, but not the .2fs file I expected. What am I doing wrong please? (This is my first time using usb stick installs)

Geoffrey

#2810 Post by Geoffrey »

greengeek wrote:a question: I tried to make a backup copy of my savefile so I can come back to a known set of circumstances during troubleshooting. The problem is - I can't find the savefile.

I look in home and see the three .sfs files, but not the .2fs file I expected. What am I doing wrong please? (This is my first time using usb stick installs)
I just tried adding another save as a backup by copying and renaming the save file which is located in the /mnt/home/saluki.
When I reboot it finds both save files and gives me the option to load:
0 none
1 lukisave.4fs
2 lukisave-bak.4fs

If I select either 1 or 2 neither are loaded, so it clean boots, this on a usb install, so it appears to have a problem,
this could also be related to a problem I have had when upgrading with a older save file where I get a kernel panic whether I opt to upgrade the save file or not.