Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
gcmartin

#2341 Post by gcmartin »

jemimah wrote:Src2pkg is now available in the repo.

Src2pkg can compile source code and build pets for you.

I have hacked it to use Barry's new2dir and dir2pet instead of the the default packaging methods.

Not all source code will compile without modifications to either the code, build scripts, or system. Thus src2pkg will only work packages that are easy to compile.

The devx must be installed for it to work.
Thanks Jemimah. There is one package I have long sort for a package in Puppyland; namely XRDP. Your distro seems to be appropriately ideal for this package as it does provide multi-user built-in.

But, not being an experience person to take source to package, I have relied on others in the community for advice.

But, your note references problem area that I am not skilled to resolve much less understand how to tell if any of the mentioned problems would exist after Src2pkg is run.

Can anyone steer me to a document or write-up on use of the Src2pkg tool for a product like XRDP?

Thanks in advance for guidance.

mikeslr

Desktop Image List?

#2342 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah,

Thank you for the re-uploaded perl-gtk2-1.242.pet and the modified lxlauncher. I'll try them out soon.

While exploring the customization opportunities of Saluki, I stumbled upon the radio button in Control Panel/Desktop/xfce Desktop Settings for selecting a "Desktop Image List". Currently, as shown by the attached, selecting that option does nothing beyond changing one's background to a solid black. Perhaps because, as yet, I have not provided the "List." I would guess its purpose is to automatically change the background either randomly or sequentially. Something else?
Has such option actually been implemented? And if so, how and where would someone provide the List: for example "plain test file located in the usr/share/xyz folder."
Thanks in advance.

Hopefully, our seemingly incessant requests stimulate your creativity (':)') rather than drive you slightly nuts. (':(') But then again, perhaps its the same thing. (':roll:')

mikesLr
Attachments
DesktopImgList.jpg
Desktop Image List radio button
(30.64 KiB) Downloaded 266 times

jemimah

#2343 Post by jemimah »

gcmartin wrote:
jemimah wrote:Src2pkg is now available in the repo.

Src2pkg can compile source code and build pets for you.

I have hacked it to use Barry's new2dir and dir2pet instead of the the default packaging methods.

Not all source code will compile without modifications to either the code, build scripts, or system. Thus src2pkg will only work packages that are easy to compile.

The devx must be installed for it to work.
Thanks Jemimah. There is one package I have long sort for a package in Puppyland; namely XRDP. Your distro seems to be appropriately ideal for this package as it does provide multi-user built-in.

But, not being an experience person to take source to package, I have relied on others in the community for advice.

But, your note references problem area that I am not skilled to resolve much less understand how to tell if any of the mentioned problems would exist after Src2pkg is run.

Can anyone steer me to a document or write-up on use of the Src2pkg tool for a product like XRDP?

Thanks in advance for guidance.
Saluki does not have multi user. It is completely unsuitable for use a server (except the sort of server that is not exposed to the internet, and that only you yourself use).

Also src2pkg is probably not going to be very useful if you do not have at least rudimentary compiling and packaging skills.

If you really need to remote into it, Remmina does include a vnc server, or you tunnel X over ssh.

jemimah

Re: Desktop Image List?

#2344 Post by jemimah »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah,

Thank you for the re-uploaded perl-gtk2-1.242.pet and the modified lxlauncher. I'll try them out soon.

While exploring the customization opportunities of Saluki, I stumbled upon the radio button in Control Panel/Desktop/xfce Desktop Settings for selecting a "Desktop Image List". Currently, as shown by the attached, selecting that option does nothing beyond changing one's background to a solid black. Perhaps because, as yet, I have not provided the "List." I would guess its purpose is to automatically change the background either randomly or sequentially. Something else?
Has such option actually been implemented? And if so, how and where would someone provide the List: for example "plain test file located in the usr/share/xyz folder."
Thanks in advance.

Hopefully, our seemingly incessant requests stimulate your creativity (':)') rather than drive you slightly nuts. (':(') But then again, perhaps its the same thing. (':roll:')

mikesLr
Add images to the list by clicking the button shown in the attached screenshot.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(82.4 KiB) Downloaded 600 times

NZCyrus

#2345 Post by NZCyrus »

Am running Saluki 017 as the only system on my ThinkPad R51 internal drive for a day now, and have been impressed.

For some reason however, I cannot install any PET packages with Puppy Package Manager. Even when I download a package only and try to open with petget, I get an 'Error, package xxsaluki.pet failed to install' or if I try to download and install in Puppy Package Manager itself after choosing smokey01.com it says 'Error, faulty download of xx.pet

jemimah

#2346 Post by jemimah »

Saluki-018 has been uploaded.

I added splash screens and fixed some bugs.

Let me know if it is ready for release.

jemimah

#2347 Post by jemimah »

NZCyrus wrote:Am running Saluki 017 as the only system on my ThinkPad R51 internal drive for a day now, and have been impressed.

For some reason however, I cannot install any PET packages with Puppy Package Manager. Even when I download a package only and try to open with petget, I get an 'Error, package xxsaluki.pet failed to install' or if I try to download and install in Puppy Package Manager itself after choosing smokey01.com it says 'Error, faulty download of xx.pet
Weird. Perhaps check the md5sum of your iso and/or reinstall.

gcmartin

#2348 Post by gcmartin »

Thanks @Jemimah. This is what I suspected as a skillset need.
If you really need to remote into it, Remmina does include a vnc server, or you tunnel X over ssh.
Is thre a PET somewhere for this. And, does it have multimedia ability such that I can run a media app and see/hear it.

Thanks in advance.

James C

#2349 Post by James C »

Saluki 018 live pfix=ram quick sanity check.

Sound and internet good on initial boot....booted to a 1280x1024 resolution but used xorgwizard from Firstrun to get desired 1366x768.

Quick check of a few apps show everything appearing to work correctly.

# report-video
Saluki, version 018 on Fri 6 Apr 2012

Chip description:
d.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a] (rev a2)
oem: NVIDIA
product: MCP61 - mcp61-86 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1366x768 pixels (361x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
Computer
Processor 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory 2853MB (196MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 06 Apr 2012 03:49:02 PM CDT
Display
Resolution 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Software Rasterizer
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio device nVidia Corporation MCP61 High Definition Audio
Bridge nVidia Corporation MCP61 Ethernet
VGA compatible controller nVidia Corporation C61 [GeForce 7025 / nForce 630a]

Looks pretty solid. :)New splash screens look nice too.

James C

#2350 Post by James C »

Well, looks pretty solid except I cannot ping and Wget doesn't work. Unless I use the "-4" suggested by BarryK in the Wary thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 098#616098

Code: Select all

# ping -c 1 www.google.com 
ping: bad address 'www.google.com'
# echo $?
# wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz 
--2012-04-06 16:04:10--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address `fpdownload.macromedia.com'
# wget -4 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz 
--2012-04-06 16:05:52--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... 23.64.18.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)|23.64.18.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6746733 (6.4M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 6,746,733    151K/s   in 42s     

2012-04-06 16:06:34 (157 KB/s) - `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6746733/6746733]

# 

NZCyrus

#2351 Post by NZCyrus »

jemimah wrote:
NZCyrus wrote:Am running Saluki 017 as the only system on my ThinkPad R51 internal drive for a day now, and have been impressed.

Upgraded with 018 and it works like 017 initially did. Can't figure how it broke somewhere along the way!

However, printer-scanner-core-1.pet is a broken link at smokey01.com

Thanks.

jemimah

#2352 Post by jemimah »

James C wrote:Well, looks pretty solid except I cannot ping and Wget doesn't work. Unless I use the "-4" suggested by BarryK in the Wary thread.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 098#616098

# ping -c 1 www.google.com 
ping: bad address 'www.google.com'
# echo $?
# wget http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz 
--2012-04-06 16:04:10--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... failed: Temporary failure in name resolution.
wget: unable to resolve host address `fpdownload.macromedia.com'
# wget -4 http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz 
--2012-04-06 16:05:52--  http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/pdc/11.1.102.63/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz
Resolving fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)... 23.64.18.70
Connecting to fpdownload.macromedia.com (fpdownload.macromedia.com)|23.64.18.70|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 6746733 (6.4M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz'

100%[======================================>] 6,746,733    151K/s   in 42s     

2012-04-06 16:06:34 (157 KB/s) - `install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz' saved [6746733/6746733]

# 
I did add '-4' to 0setup. Is there somewhere else I need to add it?

jemimah

#2353 Post by jemimah »

NZCyrus wrote:
jemimah wrote:

Upgraded with 018 and it works like 017 initially did. Can't figure how it broke somewhere along the way!

However, printer-scanner-core-1.pet is a broken link at smokey01.com

Thanks.
I've uploaded printer-scanner-core. Thanks.

jemimah

#2354 Post by jemimah »

gcmartin wrote:Thanks @Jemimah. This is what I suspected as a skillset need.
Is thre a PET somewhere for this. And, does it have multimedia ability such that I can run a media app and see/hear it.

Thanks in advance.
Remmina is included in saluki, and so is sshd.

Sshd wouldn't support remote audio, I'm not sure if vnc does or not. Teamviewer might.

pemasu

#2355 Post by pemasu »

I have put the -4 option for ping into these scripts:
Pudd, check_internet, video_upgrade_wizard.
Above from Wary thread by Barry Kauler

James C

#2356 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:

I have put the -4 option for ping into these scripts:
Pudd, check_internet, video_upgrade_wizard.
Above from Wary thread by Barry Kauler
Thanks pemasu .....I had to take a break to eat some lunch. :lol:

Those changes solved all ping/Wget problems in Wary.

James C

#2357 Post by James C »

Also upgraded the frugal install on the Athlon XP box from 017 to 018.Zero problems with the upgrade...... all settings, modifications and applications successfully survived the upgrade process.

sszindian

WiFi

#2358 Post by sszindian »

Downloaded 018 but haven't run it yet...

Been still working on 017 for the last week or more trying to get WiFi setup... I use:

Belkin300 router
LynksysAE1000 usb wifi stick

Frisbee would not set it up!

I remembered then that this very same problem occured back in Racy-5.2.2 and that pemasu made a patch and got my wifi system working

'rt2x00-new-firmware-folder-0.0.1.pet'

Anyway, I went back in the 5.2.2 thread and found that parch, downloaded it again and figured what the heck, wifi doesn't work now, what could it hurt installing it in Saluki.

Installed the patch, went back in and used Internet Connection Wizard from the Control Panal.

The patch over-wrote a bunch of files already in Saluki upon installation but... 'My WiFi NOW WORKS.' You may want to consider this for the next (or final) Saluki for the rt2800usb module, as it appears it is needed.)

Next...

I know 3-1/2" floppy's are just about a thing of the past but... Saluki doesn't seem to provide any support for a 'fd0 Drive'. (had that problem back with JoliOS Linux system and had to mount, unmont fd0 with the console but that was a real pain.)

I'm sure there are many still running old boxes that have important info, pictures etc., still stored away somewhere on old 3-1/2" floppy's such as myself that never seemed to get around to a transfer to CD and on occasion need that info.

Any chance of 'fd0 support' for Saluki?

'Thanks'

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

jemimah

#2359 Post by jemimah »

I have updated the firmware you mentioned.

I don't see any chance of floppy disk support.

mikeslr

Youtube viewer & sfs-load problems

#2360 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah:
Frugal install of Saluki-18 with fresh SaveFile. The only thing i've installed is rox-filer and opera-external (script/png & desktop files calling opera from mnt/home). Installed gtk-youtube-viewer. Previous perl-file download problem solved, but viewer doesn't run. Attached is a jpg showing the results of attempting to start it from terminal.

Sfs-load appears to hang when trying to unload some sfses. "Wait" remains on the screen for minutes. Closing that dialog box does no stop sfs-loader, as it still shows up as active in lxtaskmanager; though using 0 ram. If killed via lxtaskmanager it can not be restarted (that is rerun). Restarting X also isn't effective. Shutting down is effective, but the shut-down process takes forever: runs slowly and apparently has to terminate my logitech mouse from each possible "interrupt?". This has happened in 17 &18. In 17 it happened both when loading Streamtuner2 (not a Saluki SFS) and Google-Chrome, which is. [I was trying Streamtuner2 as it runs under Lupu and I have a Streamripper GUI for it. But it uses the wrong python for Saluki]. In 18, I only tried Google-Chrome. I didn't report about 17 as it was only discovered shortly before you published 18, and I hoped it would not reappear.

mikesLr
Attachments
youtube.jpg
Starting gtk-youtube-viewer from terminal
(33.2 KiB) Downloaded 324 times