Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
baggins

saluki on eeepc1015pem

#2311 Post by baggins »

Hi all,

Saluki seems lovely and runs really quick, but I get loads of weirdness, missing icons in the tray, no wireless (brcmsmac hadnt loaded and was missing .ko.so files when I tried to modprobe it), no desktop background, allsorts of odd stuff, all inconsistent on repeated reboots.

The most regular seems to be suddenly dropping the desktop to a "terminal" with the last line saying something about :-

changing (-vsync -hsync) to (-vsync +hsync) I took a photo of the screen (quessing from that I can't just get a screenshot).

Sometimes changing to tty5 and back to tty4 just pops the desktop right back again, sometimes not.

This happens with Racy and with all saluki that I've tried.

I'm on an eeepc1015pem (I think it's m) I think that's a dual core atom570 pineview intel gpx. I'll attach a hardinfo report if I can figure it out.

I run off various frugal installs on the sd and usb keys all with the same interesting results.

Fluppy runs pretty good on it, wary doesn't get wireless (from memory) and the mousepad is iffey I think.

Is there something about this kernel or xorg 7.6 (is it 7.6) that is just not for this architecture (therefore not worth persuing) or maybe something else.

Slitaz also uses xorg7.6 (I think) but with a 2.6.37 kernel and seems ok but no brcmsmac (so far) so no wireless, just for info purposes, not your problem clearly.

And no it appears I can't add a txt file, should I zip it up? or not bother -- please advise. I could copy/paste the relevant parts.

Many thanks in advance.

jemimah

#2312 Post by jemimah »

efiabruni wrote:Saluki 0.17 works well on my computer
Asus EeePc
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory : 1024MB
Resolution : 1024x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) IGD x86/MMX/SSE2
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Hard Drive : ATA WDC WD1600BEVT-8
Ethernet controller : Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet
Network controller : Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Frugal install

However, I tried to install the R.sfs for Saluki and Scribus from the package manager and both do not work. The PPM says there are no missing dependencies and when I start from the terminal, this is what it tells me for Scribus:

scribus: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0)
scribus: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0)
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
scribus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/scribus/plugins//libscriptplugin.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_SetDefaultEncoding

and for R:

/opt/R-2.12.1/lib/R/bin/exec/R: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /opt/R-2.12.1/lib/R/bin/exec/R)
/opt/R-2.12.1/lib/R/bin/exec/R: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /lib/libgfortran.so.3)

which I have no idea what to do with...

otherwise I really enjoy Saluki!
The scribus in the repo is a bit messed up. I'm building a new one now.

There is no R package in the repo. The one you have is not compatable. I will add R to my list of requests.

jemimah

Re: midori, android, saluki 17, release

#2313 Post by jemimah »

elroy wrote:I’m continuing to experience crashes with Midori. Perhaps ‘crashes’ isn’t the right word. Midori downright disappears. It’s happened twice within 5 minutes, once when I opened and did a Google search in a second tab, and another time when I clicked on the ‘back’ button. However, I am running Thoggen in the background so maybe it’s a memory issue (1812 MB, 1007 MB used). I’m currently doing this on a fresh RAM boot (Saluki 017 with the standard kernel); my regular adrive has Opera (Saluki 17, standard kernel), and with that I don’t experience any problems. I want Midori to work very badly, but due to its instability I feel that I can’t rely on it.
Yep I'm still having intermitant issues with it too. Bummer.

jemimah

Re: saluki on eeepc1015pem

#2314 Post by jemimah »

baggins wrote:Hi all,

Saluki seems lovely and runs really quick, but I get loads of weirdness, missing icons in the tray, no wireless (brcmsmac hadnt loaded and was missing .ko.so files when I tried to modprobe it), no desktop background, allsorts of odd stuff, all inconsistent on repeated reboots.

The most regular seems to be suddenly dropping the desktop to a "terminal" with the last line saying something about :-

changing (-vsync -hsync) to (-vsync +hsync) I took a photo of the screen (quessing from that I can't just get a screenshot).

Sometimes changing to tty5 and back to tty4 just pops the desktop right back again, sometimes not.

This happens with Racy and with all saluki that I've tried.

I'm on an eeepc1015pem (I think it's m) I think that's a dual core atom570 pineview intel gpx. I'll attach a hardinfo report if I can figure it out.

I run off various frugal installs on the sd and usb keys all with the same interesting results.

Fluppy runs pretty good on it, wary doesn't get wireless (from memory) and the mousepad is iffey I think.

Is there something about this kernel or xorg 7.6 (is it 7.6) that is just not for this architecture (therefore not worth persuing) or maybe something else.

Slitaz also uses xorg7.6 (I think) but with a 2.6.37 kernel and seems ok but no brcmsmac (so far) so no wireless, just for info purposes, not your problem clearly.

And no it appears I can't add a txt file, should I zip it up? or not bother -- please advise. I could copy/paste the relevant parts.

Many thanks in advance.
I see a brcmsmac.ko in my installation. Maybe installing the wl pet in the repo might solve your network issue.

The screen flipping issue - weird I've never heard of anything like that. I haven't a clue. You should run sysinfo and attach the diagnostic file.

jemimah

Re: silly question

#2315 Post by jemimah »

einar wrote: anyhow on to the silly question. what is the difference from performace mode and turbo mode ? Right know im using luki 17 in virtualbox and have no idea whats the difference
Turbo mode forces your cpu to run at its fastest possible frequency. Only use it when you need a speed boost. Your machine might get quite hot if you leave it in turbo mode.

jemimah

#2316 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:
efiabruni wrote:Saluki 0.17 works well on my computer
Asus EeePc
Processor : 2x Intel(R) Atom(TM) CPU N450 @ 1.66GHz
Memory : 1024MB
Resolution : 1024x600 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) IGD x86/MMX/SSE2
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
Hard Drive : ATA WDC WD1600BEVT-8
Ethernet controller : Atheros Communications AR8132 Fast Ethernet
Network controller : Atheros Communications Inc. AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter

Frugal install

However, I tried to install the R.sfs for Saluki and Scribus from the package manager and both do not work. The PPM says there are no missing dependencies and when I start from the terminal, this is what it tells me for Scribus:

scribus: /usr/lib/libcrypto.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0)
scribus: /usr/lib/libssl.so.1.0.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libpython2.6.so.1.0)
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
scribus: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/scribus/plugins//libscriptplugin.so: undefined symbol: PyUnicodeUCS2_SetDefaultEncoding

and for R:

/opt/R-2.12.1/lib/R/bin/exec/R: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /opt/R-2.12.1/lib/R/bin/exec/R)
/opt/R-2.12.1/lib/R/bin/exec/R: /lib/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.11' not found (required by /lib/libgfortran.so.3)

which I have no idea what to do with...

otherwise I really enjoy Saluki!

There is no R package in the repo. The one you have is not compatable. I will add R to my list of requests.
I have uploaded an R sfs, and fixed the scribus pet.

einar

Re: silly question

#2317 Post by einar »

jemimah wrote:
einar wrote: anyhow on to the silly question. what is the difference from performace mode and turbo mode ? Right know im using luki 17 in virtualbox and have no idea whats the difference
Turbo mode forces your cpu to run at its fastest possible frequency. Only use it when you need a speed boost. Your machine might get quite hot if you leave it in turbo mode.
Does that mean that it overclocks the processor ?

einar

Re: custom builder 8

#2318 Post by einar »

jemimah wrote:
einar wrote:Still having some troubles with the custom builder 8. The missing libs was all my fault. pearl is still missing though. But why can i not choose my apps in the default app chooser ? i can only choose the apps thats there before. Say i want to change the default browser to firefox, the only possibility is midori.

Hoping for a fix :)

tnx Einar
Defaults chooser only looks at apps in the WebBrowser category. There was a version of firefox in the repo that was in the Internet category, but I fixed it a while ago so maybe just download it again. You should be able to find perl-gtk2 in the repo (be sure to spell it right).

I think i have time to test again tonight :) but it was not only the browser. i have added almost every multimedia player to my adrive build. and say i wanted to chose one of vlc,um/smplayer to be the default DVD/ Video player. only Xnoise and PCD was listed. I removed PCD and Xnoise when i chose packages from the original adrive and when i build now i choose start from stratch.

What i am asking for is that the default chooser check what .pets/ sfs files you put in the adrive folder and make it a choise in the default chooser. I hope i make myself understood. English is not my native language :)

Many thanks

Einar

Sage

#2319 Post by Sage »

Does that mean that it overclocks the processor ?
No. Modern processors throttle back to save power; they run more or less efficiently at lower than nominal. Most applications do not require the vast processing power now on offer. This kind of feature was originally developed for laptops; it was prone to misbehave. Although Moore's Law is on track, at least superficially, none of the heat dissipation issues have been properly solved. Multiple cores are not the answer; new overheads are introduced, albeit speedily as they are handled on-chip. 32 micron and below features introduce intractible issues. Some changes in fab materials might be necessary although the Periodic Table offers rather a fixed range of options and Hr. Heisenberg's uncertainty beckons...

scabz

Re: custom builder 8

#2320 Post by scabz »

I think i have time to test again tonight :) but it was not only the browser. i have added almost every multimedia player to my adrive build. and say i wanted to chose one of vlc,um/smplayer to be the default DVD/ Video player. only Xnoise and PCD was listed. I removed PCD and Xnoise when i chose packages from the original adrive and when i build now i choose start from stratch.

What i am asking for is that the default chooser check what .pets/ sfs files you put in the adrive folder and make it a choise in the default chooser. I hope i make myself understood. English is not my native language :)

Many thanks

Einar
you can go to /usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer and change it to what you want , dont know why the Default Application Chooser does not work for you.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
exec umplayer "$@"

pemasu

#2321 Post by pemasu »

but no brcmsmac (so far) so no wireless, just for info purposes, not your problem clearly.
In console: lspci -nn
And post the wireless concerning rows or whole output:
lspci -nn > hwinfo.gz and post it here as attachment.

pemasu

#2322 Post by pemasu »

And I promised to compile it when Python-2.7 has replaced the previous one. I just forgot my promise. Side-effect of presenile dementia again. I wish I would remember to take my medication.....sigh....

DaveS

#2323 Post by DaveS »

pemasu wrote:
And I promised to compile it when Python-2.7 has replaced the previous one. I just forgot my promise. Side-effect of presenile dementia again. I wish I would remember to take my medication.....sigh....
LOL... set it up with a Google Calendar email reminder... Works for me :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jim3630

#2324 Post by jim3630 »

the links in "about" do not work in abiword, transmission, and any other program I've tried that has a link in "about."

also discussed at

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 201#617201

efiabruni

#2325 Post by efiabruni »

jemimah wrote:

I have uploaded an R sfs, and fixed the scribus pet.[/quote]

I tried both and they both work, thank you very much, now Saluki can become my primary OS :)
I had also downloaded firefox and keepnote from the repo and they work as far as I can see perfectly.
I also use the scim.sfs from lupu (lang-pack-all.0.9.sfs) with the m17n pack to write Chinese and experienced no problems with it

futwerk

#2326 Post by futwerk »

variations on jemimah's splash theme.
Attachments
splashvr1,4b.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(25.41 KiB) Downloaded 1228 times
splashvr1,4a.png
(24.83 KiB) Downloaded 1217 times
splashvr1,4.png
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 1217 times
splash1vr,3.png
(22.24 KiB) Downloaded 1224 times
splash1vr,2.png
(22.02 KiB) Downloaded 1223 times
splash1vr,1.png
(22.41 KiB) Downloaded 1212 times

baggins

saluki on an eeepc 1015PEM

#2327 Post by baggins »

hi again

thanks for your time

@Jemimah @Pemasu

sorry for the confusion

the lack of wireless brcmsmac was (seemingly) a one off on the second or third boot of saluki 17. the odd thing is I know it should be there but when I tried to modprobe it it came up with some other (presumably related) .ko. or .so files not found. next boot it came right up. Indeed i post from it now.

Should it repeat I'll post up lspci and maybe some .logs if they would help.

The later wireless reference was to slitaz because it uses the same xorg version but doesn't seem to flip out.

The other repetitious intermittent problems concern me more, especially the screen flipping out.

@Jemimah
The screen flipping issue - weird I've never heard of anything like that. I haven't a clue. You should run sysinfo and attach the diagnostic file.
I couldn't find sysinfo but I think I've got the hardinfo to attach. Does this give you what you asked for? If not please advise further on how I can help.

Can I take it there is no obvious reason for saluki (and racy) not liking my eeepc.

Many thanks for your help, and all your other fine works.

EDIT: P.S. found it and attaching now
Attachments
sys-info-120405.gz
sys-info report
(26.08 KiB) Downloaded 161 times
hardinfo.gz
hardinfo report
(5.67 KiB) Downloaded 179 times
Last edited by baggins on Thu 05 Apr 2012, 01:29, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#2328 Post by gcmartin »

I am running Live Saluki17 system.

I added drives to the desktop. Now when I click the desktop's CDROM I get the following??? (see Picture attached to this post)

mount command shows the following

Code: Select all

/dev/sda3 on /mnt/CDROM type vfat (rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=cp437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,quiet,utf8,errors=remount-ro)
Also, when a usb is mounted, clicking the "x" in the circle doesn't dismount the unit.

Hope this helps
Attachments
Desktop_UmountProblem.png
CDROMs are mis-characterized and &quot;x&quot; does not dismount USB unit(s)
(51.25 KiB) Downloaded 1191 times

Geoffrey

#2329 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 was wanting to be able restore the desktop icons if they were to get messed up, I finally managed to get a script working that will do this.

I'll post a pet for Testing, the menu entry is in control panel, named XDesktop Icon Restorer.

To use it just arrange the desktop icons then run the app and save, if they get disarranged just run it again and select restore, simple.
Let me know if it works ok, the trick to make it work is all in the timing of the functions so it seems.
Attachments
xdesktop_icon_restorer-1.0.pet
(999 Bytes) Downloaded 188 times

HiDeHo

#2330 Post by HiDeHo »

How to build a real-time kernel for saluki. I have not found much except for a few old posts on how to do this even in puppy. so i created one here if anyone can help compiling a real-time kernel for puppy, mainly saluki, it would be appreciated click here.