Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#2161 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:I just tried to use Xdelta in Saluki 12 and it wouldn't let me drag and drop the old ISO onto Xdelta.

I was trying to upgrade the ISO from 16 > 17.

Even when I Copied and Paste it didn't work, neither did manually typing the file pathname.

Has this been fixed in later than version 12?

Edit: I just installed Rox and it worked so it must be a Thunar problem. It did not work perfectly though as it created a file called newfile.iso instead of luki-017.iso.
Yeah we need a new xdelta with a file button.

jemimah

#2162 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
smokey01 wrote:To do a checksum right click on the ISO, properties then select the fourth tab. Can't remember what it's called as I'm back in Version 12 ATM.
:lol: to think I've been doing it the hard way, I never realized that thunar had that feature, thanks :wink:
It's new in 017 - Gtkhash thunar plugin.

jemimah

Re: LxLauncher Wow

#2163 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote::shock: Its wonderful jemimah! 8) Changing colors by tab is really cool.

I noticed that the last two tabs were the same color orange. Was that by design? or could there be one more color added?

Can the directory that opens for you to choose a wallpaper default to the background directory? Beginners will not know where to find them otherwise.

And Gurluki and Skuluki sound Sound Great.!!!!

Pete
The colors are all somewhat different on my monitor. :) It's a bit hard because if you make them too bold it's hard to see the icons. You'll probably want to install your own wallpapers.

jemimah

Re: Desktop

#2164 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote: I have noticed that the Puppy community generally people support each others projects more than other os, this is a good idea. why not pose the question on how to get pwidgest in a new post. others might happen to contribute.
I'm not talking about "moral support". If pwidgets makes a lot of assumptions about rox and jwm being there, and generally has issues with notifications messing it up, and not playing nice with xfdesktop, then it would need to be rewritten to meet basic quality standards before I add it to the repo. I don't think I plan to do that. If someone else wants to take it on, feel free.

jemimah

#2165 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:
jemimah wrote:
HiDeHo wrote:Custom Builder
:idea: one thing that would be handy with the custom builder is to have it look for currently installed apps user settings, addons etc and ask if want to install them. this would be an easy way to customise apps for your puppy os.
All one would need to do is
  1. create a small save file
  2. install the apps needed
  3. create settings for them
  4. run custom builder
  5. builder would detect installed apps and ask to include user settings
  6. finish build
It's sort of difficult because one wants to avoid including things like the browser cache, and any personal stuff like saved passwords and the like.

It's not all that hard to add any settings that you want to the pets you install. Plus then you won't need to redo the settings for future releases.
this is true, when building a puplet with the old re-master iso builder
  1. its best to start with a fresh save.
  2. only add things you want to include
  3. make sure all apps are not setup with user settings.
  4. clean out browser cache, history, saved passwords etc
If its not hard to add settings to a pet eg browser addons, pidgin setup with a default user for #puppylinux chat. how would i do this. is there a tutoral for it.
:idea: a work around would be to include a start script that linked to an html page including the recommendations for the os, apps, addons etc.
Custom-builder-8 now does this for you.

But all you need to do is locate a application's dot file and copy it into the same directory in the pet package.

technosaurus

#2166 Post by technosaurus »

For most practical purposes where it is being used to detect what action to do based on a file type, rox can be a symlink (or wrapper) to xdg-open (or xfce equivalent) ... Put it in /usr/local/bin so that if the real rox gets installed, it works instead. In the future these types of things should use defaulthandler, correct? Or is there something more portable that I don't know about?
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

jemimah

#2167 Post by jemimah »

Anyhoo, you can use pretty much any conky theme, with true transparency.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(98.6 KiB) Downloaded 707 times

jemimah

#2168 Post by jemimah »

Ok, had a look - I was wrong about rox/jwm dependencies in pwidgets. But it does need to be fixed to use real transparency instead of pseudo. Maybe I'll work on it, but I really think many of conky themes you can download on deviant art and such are more attractive.

DaveS

#2169 Post by DaveS »

With a view to upgrading my full install, made a DVD of iso17 and ran it. No first run dialogue. Upgrading install was reasonably successful. All Xfce settings were lost which was a shame.
First Run dialogue appeared when I re-started the full install.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Sage

#2170 Post by Sage »

I feel like there will only be one more RC before the release.
This is an excellent project by a consumate professional.
Before gold, a few suggestions more likely to affect appeal:
- essential to default the resolution to the lcd, denominator, that is, not liquid crystal. Perhaps pick a config from Legacy or another resurrection distro. It is just not reasonable to boot into 1600x1200; few punters connect to their 50" TV, at least in the first trials!
- recent wallpapers are cr*p and demean the entire venture. Although a very personal aspect, first impression & all that. Get a professional artist - I can recommend one on your continent if necessary and would be willing to co-fund cost. Failing that, a plain black background with everyone's favourite hound in transparency is unlikely to offend anyone.
- got to have Flash installed by default!
Last edited by Sage on Sat 31 Mar 2012, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#2171 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:Here is custom builder 8. This one can copy your dotfiles to the new puplet. Would you guys test it out and provide feedback?
It works really nice.

Only a small funny thing. Building the zdrv.sfs when you get to choose your new kernel pet, you can not bailout. Cancel gets you to retry and cancel there gets you the selection dialog. :)
Closing the windows, ditto.
This is with the luki iso mounted. If you unmount it, the program finally drops out.
Found it, Thanks!
I do not know if it made it into 017, but it shows the same behavior.
The 017 version has also another bug when changing the kernel. If you mount a luki image instead of the actual CD, will delete the original iso file after it copies its content into the luki-NNN directory even if you give a different name to your spin.
I think it should not affect the original files/images
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

smokey01

#2172 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:
smokey01 wrote:I just tried to use Xdelta in Saluki 12 and it wouldn't let me drag and drop the old ISO onto Xdelta.

I was trying to upgrade the ISO from 16 > 17.

Even when I Copied and Paste it didn't work, neither did manually typing the file pathname.

Has this been fixed in later than version 12?

Edit: I just installed Rox and it worked so it must be a Thunar problem. It did not work perfectly though as it created a file called newfile.iso instead of luki-017.iso.
Yeah we need a new xdelta with a file button.
Na, I've sorted it.

Add a custom action in Thunar as per the attached graphic.

Select the ISO and appropriate Diff file then right click on Xdelta in the new custom action, click on generate.

Job done.
Attachments
Xdelta-Thunar.png
How to add custom action for xdelta files
(108.95 KiB) Downloaded 621 times

mavrothal

SDcards

#2173 Post by mavrothal »

Are there any changes in Luki017 relevant to SDcard (mmcblkN) detection?
I can not mount it or even find it in 017 but could be a number of reason relating to my mods or even hardware issues.
Would save me some hunting though if I could exclude luki changes.
Thx
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Geoffrey

Re: SDcards

#2174 Post by Geoffrey »

mavrothal wrote:Are there any changes in Luki017 relevant to SDcard (mmcblkN) detection?
I can not mount it or even find it in 017 but could be a number of reason relating to my mods or even hardware issues.
Thx

I have no problem reading a SDcard, appears to be working fine.

James C

#2175 Post by James C »

Been tweaking the appearance a bit......

mavrothal

#2176 Post by mavrothal »

Geoffrey wrote:
mavrothal wrote:Are there any changes in Luki017 relevant to SDcard (mmcblkN) detection?
Thx

Thanks. Good to know.
But do you know if there are any changes in any of the init/sysinit/pup_event/pmount/probpart/....?

Geoffrey

#2177 Post by Geoffrey »

mavrothal wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
Thx

Thanks. Good to know.
But do you know if there are any changes in any of the init/sysinit/pup_event/pmount/probpart/....?
I would say there must of been some change as the problem with two instances of the /dev/sr0 have been fixed in pmount and probpart.

jemimah

#2178 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:

Thanks. Good to know.
I would say there must of been some change as the problem with two instances of the /dev/sr0 have been fixed in pmount and probpart.
The changes to probepart amount to

Code: Select all

probepart | sort | uniq
If the card shows up in gparted, try reformatting it and see if that helps.

jemimah

#2179 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote: It works really nice.

Only a small funny thing. Building the zdrv.sfs when you get to choose your new kernel pet, you can not bailout. Cancel gets you to retry and cancel there gets you the selection dialog. :)
Closing the windows, ditto.
This is with the luki iso mounted. If you unmount it, the program finally drops out.
Found it, Thanks!
I do not know if it made it into 017, but it shows the same behavior.
The 017 version has also another bug when changing the kernel. If you mount a luki image instead of the actual CD, will delete the original iso file after it copies its content into the luki-NNN directory even if you give a different name to your spin.
I think it should not affect the original files/images
Ok. I'll go through it again. I've never had it delete my iso. Strange.

Geoffrey

#2180 Post by Geoffrey »

I've installed guake on a new save and it gives this popup error, a dependency check shows nothing missing.

It seems the dependency checker has a fault, the column on the left also has a item marked for checking and that is the the only one that works, the right column is not checked, strange.
Attachments
Screenshot-1.jpg
(19.07 KiB) Downloaded 747 times
Screenshot.png
(11.19 KiB) Downloaded 727 times