Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Pete22

Ideas for the future

#2116 Post by Pete22 »

I tried out the tabbed desktop on my regular laptop. It is very nice Jemimah.
I was wondering, is there a way, or could a way be added to change the
background color? It might be nice to have a different background color for
each tab.

Saluki does many wonderful puppy tricks. I would like to revive some old
puppies with Saluki's help. Would you consider adding the underdog
feature that Barry recently revived?

Pete22

jemimah

Re: Ideas for the future

#2117 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote:I tried out the tabbed desktop on my regular laptop. It is very nice Jemimah.
I was wondering, is there a way, or could a way be added to change the
background color? It might be nice to have a different background color for
each tab.

Saluki does many wonderful puppy tricks. I would like to revive some old
puppies with Saluki's help. Would you consider adding the underdog
feature that Barry recently revived?

Pete22
I've updated the lxlauncher pet with a wallpaper changer (in the control panel). Let me know how it goes.

Underdog seems more appropriate for slackware or deb based puppies. I can't imagine it would work very well with saluki. I don't feel inclined to play with it this close to the release.

Pete22

#2118 Post by Pete22 »

Oh wonderful on the wallpaper changer for the tabbed interface. Is it on my 16 iso that I burned when it first came out, or should I burn a new 16? or will it this change be in next download?

There have been many beautiful wallpapers in each of the different alphas and betas. Are they all going to be available in the release version of Saluki?

I thought it was too late to ask for Underdog in this release, just a thought for the future. I am thinking of using an older puppy as the underdog in full install and then put a newer puppy on top. Maybe not such a great idea.....

Pete

jemimah

#2119 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote:Oh wonderful on the wallpaper changer for the tabbed interface. Is it on my 16 iso that I burned when it first came out, or should I burn a new 16? or will it this change be in next download?

There have been many beautiful wallpapers in each of the different alphas and betas. Are they all going to be available in the release version of Saluki?

I thought it was too late to ask for Underdog in this release, just a thought for the future. I am thinking of using an older puppy as the underdog in full install and then put a newer puppy on top. Maybe not such a great idea.....

Pete
Just uninstall lxlauncher and install it again from the ppm.

Is there something specific you want from an older puppy version? I can't help but think that underdog would cause a lot more problems than it solves.

Pete22

Looking at an old Puppy

#2120 Post by Pete22 »

I was looking at this puppy:

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06 ... vamped.iso

This has two window managers: Xfce and Jwm
I like the panel on the bottom of the xfce window with a link to the most often used software, or websites.

On jwm I like the Icons. They are bigger and farther apart than on newer puppies. I especially like the four icons on the far right: notepad, calculator, lock pc and the trash can. Very convenient, for easy access.

I love all the Internet sources that are available. I guess any puppy could have links to many of these sources

I like the menu structure. I like most of the headings and the types of programs that under each heading on the menu.

Take a look under Utilities I like the stuff there. For my work I use maps. As you can see there are there three map places to check out. In addition I find the calculator and a notepad, my passwords and the archiver. The kind of stuff I need and use all the time.

Under documents you see the predictable stuff, but under Officeweb2 is a wonderful set of on-line tools for the office and productivity. I would probably put both of these headings under one heading.

At the botton of the officeweb2 list is w2 graphic. I would move it to the Graphic heading. The tools here do advanced graphics, many are online.

I like the multimedia heading.
First you see your basic programs,
The 2nd section is a link called studio - this goes to special programs that helps you produce or create music, several drum programs, or learn to play the keyboard. I am excited about the keyboard lesson program. I just bought a keyboard and would love to learn to use it with my computer. I like this section and would personally add more programs here for music making.
The 3rd section has your cd/dvd burners and iso master
I like the fun heading and the games listed there. The is a basic list, and then categories that include many more games. There's a whole bunch I have never seen before.

I like the heading: More software. It leads to software on the cd but not installed yet. I see wink which I really like and have used in the past to make presentations. I would like a heading like this in new puppies. It could have sfs and pets from the cd and a link to the puppy package manager, and maybe a link to the additional software section of this forum.

So why don't I use this puppy. It will not attach to my Internet. :cry:

===
This is probably more than you wanted to know :wink:
I would like some bookmarks included in saluki to this forum to make comments and ask questions about saluki. Also maybe some other really good Internet links could be added too.

If a lot of Internet links are are added, I think a program that checked the links and updated them periodically would be great addition too.

Pete

gcmartin

#2121 Post by gcmartin »

Saluki booted, PETs installed, simple desktop customization completed and several save sessions to multi-session Live media (CD). Again, this system has been booted multiple times with its several save-session on the CDRW.

Edited:
Issues
  • FirstRUN starts on each reboot.
  • JRE issues with SFS (see message below). Is there a PET available?
All seems well on the multi-session front for system reboots as expected.
Attachments
Screenshot1.png
The SFS installation message seems to not know that this system has save sessions on the multi-sesion live media.
(106.16 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 01 Apr 2012, 22:23, edited 6 times in total.

TTW

Re: Printer Test

#2122 Post by TTW »

sszindian wrote:Saluki-016

TEST: Printer Setup

Printer: HP_Deskjet_1050_J410_series (All-in-One Printer, Copy, Scanner)

Loaded the printer.sfs package from Saluki PPM.

Launched Cups Printer Setup from Control Center.

Asked Cups to FIND NEW PRINTERS and 'It Did NOT find the
HP_Deskjet_1050_J410_series printer, in fact it did not even find the PDF printer to setup (that's a first for any Puppy I ever tried to setup in any version.)

Printer setup for this model HP was a problem way back in Racy-5.2.2 but... with the help of 'rscn' we finally managed to get it working after much work.

The Scanner was recognized by Saluki-016 however when attempting to scan, it produced an 'error' (tried several times, even with fresh pfix=ram load.)

Tried to install a scanner HP package after downloading it from another site... it installed OK but... the option to use XSane image scanner 'disappeared' from the Graphic Menu Options?

It appears that some needed files are missing from your 'printer .sfs' package (at least for the HP 1050) and... the ability to install from outside sources?

>>>---Indian------>
I have the same printer
Set up in CUPS first plugged in directly to usb port and found no problem. I had the HP Printer driver package from the forum here

However, i usually connect the printer to my network and whilst i could ping the ip address CUPS did not behave properly, no problem with set up - said printer was online, however, on printing a test page i get the error Unable to print data:broken pipe

Is this is a CUPS problem? Strange it works fine plugged in directly to the usb port

Tested scanner and no problems at all when plugged into the usb port. Never got the scanner to work on the network even with other puppies

sszindian

Correction!!!!!

#2123 Post by sszindian »

Again today --- Printer Test using HP 1050

Loaded Saluki-016 with the intention of manually installing some printer drivers that work on other puppy versions but... first, I figured I would go run Cups just one more time for the heck of it... I did... requested 'Find New Printers' and I could have fell over... there they were, both my HP-1050 AND the PDF! I proceeded and tried for a install of the 1050... it took, tried to print a test page, at first it wouldn't, looked like it wanted to as the screen would flicker every 5-seconds or so. I reset the printer and it printed out a test page.

On this test, the scanner also fully worked using 'XSane image scanner'.

Initially I have no idea why Cups would not setup on previous test but all 'seems' to be OK now... if any problems I'll report.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Geoffrey

Re: Guake, renotebook,xplns

#2124 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
jemimah wrote:Added guake and rednotebook. I couldn't get xplns to work.
I can't get guake to work, It didn't ask to download any dependencies, but needs python vte bindings that I installed and pynotify that I can't find,
there is every possibility that I've broken something this may be why it don't work though :wink:
Yep the deps were screwed up. Try it now.
Yeah, it runs now, but I can't access the preferences.

jemimah

Re: Looking at an old Puppy

#2125 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote:I was looking at this puppy:

http://puppyisos.org/isos/2007-01-to-06 ... vamped.iso

This has two window managers: Xfce and Jwm
I like the panel on the bottom of the xfce window with a link to the most often used software, or websites.

On jwm I like the Icons. They are bigger and farther apart than on newer puppies. I especially like the four icons on the far right: notepad, calculator, lock pc and the trash can. Very convenient, for easy access.

I love all the Internet sources that are available. I guess any puppy could have links to many of these sources

I like the menu structure. I like most of the headings and the types of programs that under each heading on the menu.

Take a look under Utilities I like the stuff there. For my work I use maps. As you can see there are there three map places to check out. In addition I find the calculator and a notepad, my passwords and the archiver. The kind of stuff I need and use all the time.

Under documents you see the predictable stuff, but under Officeweb2 is a wonderful set of on-line tools for the office and productivity. I would probably put both of these headings under one heading.

At the botton of the officeweb2 list is w2 graphic. I would move it to the Graphic heading. The tools here do advanced graphics, many are online.

I like the multimedia heading.
First you see your basic programs,
The 2nd section is a link called studio - this goes to special programs that helps you produce or create music, several drum programs, or learn to play the keyboard. I am excited about the keyboard lesson program. I just bought a keyboard and would love to learn to use it with my computer. I like this section and would personally add more programs here for music making.
The 3rd section has your cd/dvd burners and iso master
I like the fun heading and the games listed there. The is a basic list, and then categories that include many more games. There's a whole bunch I have never seen before.

I like the heading: More software. It leads to software on the cd but not installed yet. I see wink which I really like and have used in the past to make presentations. I would like a heading like this in new puppies. It could have sfs and pets from the cd and a link to the puppy package manager, and maybe a link to the additional software section of this forum.

So why don't I use this puppy. It will not attach to my Internet. :cry:

===
This is probably more than you wanted to know :wink:
I would like some bookmarks included in saluki to this forum to make comments and ask questions about saluki. Also maybe some other really good Internet links could be added too.

If a lot of Internet links are are added, I think a program that checked the links and updated them periodically would be great addition too.

Pete
Underdog won't make it happen.

But this would be a very cool remastering project for someone. It might be nice to include both hyper-feminine and hyper-masculine themes (Gurluki and Skulluki?).

jemimah

#2126 Post by jemimah »

Here is custom builder 8. This one can copy your dotfiles to the new puplet. Would you guys test it out and provide feedback?
Attachments
custom-builder-8.pet
(68.06 KiB) Downloaded 218 times

smokey01

#2127 Post by smokey01 »

jemimah wrote:Here is custom builder 8. This one can copy your dotfiles to the new puplet. Would you guys test it out and provide feedback?
What does this actually mean?

Does it copy dot.pet files to the created ISO or the adrive within the ISO, or is it something different?

Maybe it will become obvious later when I run it. Short on time at the moment.

Cheers

Dromeno

Rednotebook missing stuff

#2128 Post by Dromeno »

Thanks Jemimah but...

I upgraded Sluki 14 to 16, then installed rednotebook 1.3 from the repo

pywebkitgtk and pyyaml were reported missing and could not be found.

I could not find the pets of those manually. What is next?

jemimah

Re: Rednotebook missing stuff

#2129 Post by jemimah »

Dromeno wrote:Thanks Jemimah but...

I upgraded Sluki 14 to 16, then installed rednotebook 1.3 from the repo

pywebkitgtk and pyyaml were reported missing and could not be found.

I could not find the pets of those manually. What is next?

Did you "Update Package Lists" in the ppm? I just tested and the downloads worked fine for me.

jemimah

#2130 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:
jemimah wrote:Here is custom builder 8. This one can copy your dotfiles to the new puplet. Would you guys test it out and provide feedback?
What does this actually mean?

Does it copy dot.pet files to the created ISO or the adrive within the ISO, or is it something different?

Maybe it will become obvious later when I run it. Short on time at the moment.

Cheers
Dot Files are /root/.*. These are copied to the adrive.
Attachments
Screenshot-1.jpg
(47.84 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

elroy

#2131 Post by elroy »

Jemimah,

Love the custom-builder-8. Works great so far, and the new options are wonderful. I especially like the fact that the installed pets of the host-ppm are no longer included (I used to have to manually add an empty /root/.packages/user-installed-packages when it gave the chance for manual customization, or else do the custom-build on a fresh ram boot). This is a nice touch that makes it more convenient and less error prone (nothing worse than forgetting to do something simple like that and having to start from scratch).

Will keep playing with it and see if I find any irregularities.

sszindian

Desktop

#2132 Post by sszindian »

A minor thing but I'm sure you want it 'right.'

The desktop 'pop-up' notices on config of system upon start... If one's using Pwidgets, some of the pop-up gets 'stuck' in the Pwidgets (Clock area only). To get rid of it you ahve to move the clock slightly, it goes away but is not a nice first display.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

Jim1911

Personalize Settings

#2133 Post by Jim1911 »

Minor problem, Personalize Settings opens upon startup regardless of presence of a save file.

Otherwise 016 is work great on my desktop and laptop.

Thanks,
Jim

mavrothal

#2134 Post by mavrothal »

It works really nice.

Only a small funny thing. Building the zdrv.sfs when you get to choose your new kernel pet, you can not bailout. Cancel gets you to retry and cancel there gets you the selection dialog. :)
Closing the windows, ditto.
This is with the luki iso mounted. If you unmount it, the program finally drops out.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

gcmartin

#2135 Post by gcmartin »

@Jemimah, et al.

This, I believe is slightly beyond the scope of where we are currently, but its been one that I've wondered about for years.

When a distro is created, is there some way to determine/list the currently installed subsystems-packages that were included at system-build time. Don't know if something currently exist or if there is some way the builder would include a list/log of some sort.

There may be general use of such a system file in providing current information about its packages currently installed.

Hope this helps