Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#2041 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:In a previous post i asked these questions that Got missed so to clarify
EDIT wait i am still using 1.5 atm. i must update now to see current changes. EDIT

how to load sfs files at boot up
the boot up manager has been removed a handy feature.
solution can load sfs on fly or create customised adrive.sfs solution

create customised sfs for different tasks
I was wanting to have customised sfs for loading different things at boot either for different tasks etc. can i modify the saluki setup to be able to load not only adrive but bdrive.sfs, cdrive.sfs etc (or preferably rename them to office.sfs, internet.sfs etc) so if they are in /mnt/home directory they will load like adrive and zdrive do currently.
solution use the custom builder to make the sfs i want > rename it > load on fly solution

lighthouse pup loading up to 40 .sfs files at boot
an option i liked when i used lighthouse pup. They provide sfs files more than pets because of this feature. when booting and detecting files it would show what sfs files where going to boot and ask for clarification if i wanted to boot or change anything. or add others. I heard in the forums somewhere that the person who created this handy feature did not share how it was done, others can't work it out so it did not become a general feature. its just something cool and unique to Lighthouse pup i guess. just sad lighthouse pup is now on hold.
solution can load sfs on fly or create customised adrive.sfs solution

These are things I was wondering, in writing the post i came up with the solutions. can anyone expand or clarify things a bit.
SFSes are handled almost exactly like pets. Click to install, install/uninstall from ppm. No more confusing boot manager, no sfs limits. Since there's not a limit, there's no need to ask the user which sfses they want for this session.

The adrive is special. It is the only sfs that loads in the layer above the pup_sfs. Adrive and Zdrive are the only sfses that will be autoloaded if found. For other sfses, just click on them to load them. You only use the custom builder for the adrive, for other sfses, you use the Sfs builder, or build them by hand.

shelezyaka

#2042 Post by shelezyaka »

Hello
Many thanks to the development team for the delta file. Well you are granting the request of users.
In the Saluki-016 DVD media disks are mounted correctly, the video driver for Nvidia was right Compiz works, and works JWM.

gcmartin

#2043 Post by gcmartin »

Testing Saluki16 on a desktop systemNo packages installed as of yet in this phase of testing.

WOW! This is a simple, clean and fast system, as usual.

The Hardinfo report is attached to this post for review, if needed.

Experience
  1. System booted straight to desktop without pause an any text localization screens,. I needed to Ctrl-Alt-Bkspace to run XORGWIZARD+XWIN to get to desktop on my nVidia PC. But, this system discovered proper video when booting to desktop on my laptops...without issues and with proper video discovery in each case.
  2. But, once there, all system issues observed before have disappeared (Thank YOU very much)
  3. See FirstRUN screen of system setup. All system fields after FirstRUN completion are aligned perfectly for all subsystem functions.
Looks like this creation is moving to a new state which will be a starting-birthplace for anyone needing to create a PUP easily.

Ideas (these are neither requests/requirements; merely for consideration)
  • One idea I can see currently is that there could be a Menu item allow one to return to FirstRUN should a need arise.
  • And, this appears to be a 2nd Generation of Saluki. Maybe at you move to GA, you might make a new thread to reflect the new Saluki generation.
Thanks @Jemimah and everyone, for all of your hard work.
Attachments
Personalza Setting on Laptop.png
FirstRUN on LAPTOP
(74.83 KiB) Downloaded 359 times
FirstRUN1st.png
FirstRUN achieve necessary subsystem needs
(79.48 KiB) Downloaded 693 times
SystemReports4Review.tar.gz
System Reports for Management Review
(6.58 KiB) Downloaded 145 times
Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 22:48, edited 2 times in total.

peebee

#2044 Post by peebee »

jemimah wrote:blacklist works for me, do you have the issue with pfix=ram?
Hi Jemimah

Right as always ;-) fresh boot with new pupsave and blacklist works (can't blacklist with pfix=ram BTW).

Must be something in my pupsave which is an upgraded one as I have "settings" to preserve - will have to go back to clean at some point I guess :-( Strange error though!!

Thanks
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

DaveS

#2045 Post by DaveS »

All good here.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

jemimah

#2046 Post by jemimah »

Gcmartin,

Firstrun is in the control panel under System->Personalize.

Pete22

version 16

#2047 Post by Pete22 »

I LOVE that it lists the dependencies of a pet on the first page. AND I REALLY LOVE the fact that it tries to find missing dependencies of pets. I wish all puppies did this.

When listing the dependencies in row, it would be nice if there was a comma or something between each item listed. Because of the naming structure of some files, its hard to know when one file ends and another one starts.

It would also be nice if puppy package manager marked programs that can not run on their own. [If it is a program that is a dependent of another program.] Some files the name or description gives a clue, but others do not. Maybe a different font, or a * in front, or something.

I did a puppy pfix=ram boot:

Thunar file manager has no icons when I open it.

Rox does not work out of the box. If I install a new rox pet, it complains that it is already installed. However, when I ignore the warning, Rox is installed and works great.

I am frustrated with pfind. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Never used to see that, but the current version is a problem child. I don’t think it is Saluki’s fault. I see Searchmonkey seems to do more consistent job of searching.

The brightness issue: When changing between modes my computer works by slowly turning down the light up or down for each setting.

I'm having trouble with cut and paste. Seems to remember something I cut before, and not what I cut currently.

What program allows me to set my icons where I want, and then makes sure they stay there?

Good work!

Pete

gcmartin

Only issue on a Pristine Live media system

#2048 Post by gcmartin »

This found on a Pristine live media system...shows 2 entries on the same dirive. This is being reported from a Live media boot that has NOT been rebooted as of yet. Continuing to test desktop.
Attachments
DriveMounting shows odditional CDROM info.png
DVD drive showing media that was booted, twice on the Drive
(19.03 KiB) Downloaded 592 times

elroy

#2049 Post by elroy »

Hi jemimah,

So far no major issues with luki-016. The only thing I’ve encountered that was out of the ordinary was when the system finished updating a 015 save file to a 016 save file. I was left with a desktop that had the menu bar in the left-center of the screen, very small and completely blank. Fortunately right-clicking on the desktop provided the main menu and I was able to boot into an earlier frugal version of luki. From there I deleted the newly updated 016 save file, did a fresh boot to 016, and created a new save file. It was a few minutes later that you posted about needing to delete firstrun from the Startup folder. I chalked my experience up to that since I’ve never encountered it before. No big whoop, though. I was due for a fresh start. It had been awhile. And I learned something to boot.

Playing around with the custom-builder-7, and because of the above mentioned settings re-exploration/re-installation, it dawned on me that by unhiding the files with Thunar, when the opportunity presented itself to customize the files via the custom-builder that I may be able to save my personal settings by copying the hidden files in the root directory to the adriver-builder root directory. So I tried that and it worked like a charm. The only settings that didn’t transfer were my IP password (which thanks to Frisbee take all of a minute to set-up), my startup/shutdown sounds (I disable those), and my preferred Mount Drives at Start. I’m sure with different setups there may be more (or less), but with mine these were the only ones that didn’t transfer to my custom adrive/ISO. So that made for a pleasurable experience.

Here are my impressions of the updated Midori - flash works out of the box using the provided pets from the repo (as it does for Opera, too, at least on my ‘puter). I’ve only encountered one crash. It happened when I had two tabs open and closed the second tab; it closed the entire app. This used to happen frequently for me with earlier versions of Midori/Saluki, but this has only happened once in the past day. The other thing I’ve noticed is if I scroll up too fast, when the page reaches the top it flutters/bounces (best way I can describe it). I’m using a laptop and touch-pad, so I can scroll pretty fast. The page sort of bounces. In the past it would crash the app at times when I scrolled too fast and reached the top. Now it just bounces until I tap the pad, and then it stops. But at least that doesn’t crash it anymore.

Other than that, on my 32-bit AMD Satellite laptop bought on the cheap from Walmart, everything seems to be working swimmingly.

So in the meantime, I’ll keep trying to break it (016, that is). But with each release it gets harder to do.

gcmartin

#2050 Post by gcmartin »

elroy wrote:Hi jemimah, ...
Playing around with the custom-builder-7, ... root directory. So I tried that and it worked like a charm. ...
If this is appropriate, might this turn up as a selection in the builder? And, maybe in a procedure (or help screen) associated with the builder.

All other things I've seen is very well coupled.

DaveS

#2051 Post by DaveS »

Funny thing: with 16, acpi tool seems to be configured quite differently. Screen brightness remains the same regardless of mains or battery use. Looking in the acpi applet from control panel, all screen brightness settings are the same, -1
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Geoffrey

Re: Only issue on a Pristine Live media system

#2052 Post by Geoffrey »

gcmartin wrote:This found on a Pristine live media system...shows 2 entries on the same dirive. This is being reported from a Live media boot that has NOT been rebooted as of yet. Continuing to test desktop.
I can confirm that on a USB install, also two notifications show on desktop when disk inserted.

jemimah

#2053 Post by jemimah »

DaveS wrote:Funny thing: with 16, acpi tool seems to be configured quite differently. Screen brightness remains the same regardless of mains or battery use. Looking in the acpi applet from control panel, all screen brightness settings are the same, -1
Yes, you need to set them yourself. There are no default values I can put in there that will work for everyone.

jemimah

#2054 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:
gcmartin wrote:This found on a Pristine live media system...shows 2 entries on the same dirive. This is being reported from a Live media boot that has NOT been rebooted as of yet. Continuing to test desktop.
I can confirm that on a USB install, also two notifications show on desktop when disk inserted.
Can you post your 'probepart' output?

jemimah

Re: version 16

#2055 Post by jemimah »

Pete22 wrote: I am frustrated with pfind. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. Never used to see that, but the current version is a problem child. I don’t think it is Saluki’s fault. I see Searchmonkey seems to do more consistent job of searching.
I need something more specific here. When I test pfind it works fine. How do I break it?

Geoffrey

#2056 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
Can you post your 'probepart' output?

Code: Select all

/dev/sda1|ntfs|241264106
/dev/sda2|ext3|59569020
/dev/sda3|ntfs|126531584
/dev/sda4|none|2
/dev/sda5|ext4|58942422
/dev/sda6|swap|2088386
/dev/sr0|iso9660|3760424
/dev/sdb1|vfat|7827456
/dev/sr0|iso9660|3760424

Marv

GDmap

#2057 Post by Marv »

Thanks for the pointer to GDmap. It works a charm!

DaveS, What does the right hand number at the bottom of the backlight dialog box in acpitool read? That should be the max positive number you can enter, ie. max_brightness. Kind of system?
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

Geoffrey

Re: version 16

#2058 Post by Geoffrey »

Pete22 wrote:What program allows me to set my icons where I want, and then makes sure they stay there?
I don't think there is, but if not it should be able to be implemented, the desktop icon position settings are in /root/.config/xfce4/desktop/icons.screen0.rc

A backup of this could possibly be used to restore previous icon positions.

rcrsn51

#2059 Post by rcrsn51 »

jemimah wrote: Adrive and Zdrive are the only sfses that will be autoloaded if found. For other sfses, just click on them to load them.
So if I want a setup with OpenOffice and printer support, I have to load those sfs packages at EVERY bootup?

jemimah

#2060 Post by jemimah »

No, you just have to load them once, then they'll be remembered.

The adrive and zdrive are always loaded if they are found.