Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#2011 Post by jemimah »

Saluki 016 has been released:

New in 016:
Various bugfixes, including dvd mounting, startmount ntfs drives, Thunar not refreshing file lists, and midori local html files.

jemimah

#2012 Post by jemimah »

if firstrun runs on every boot just delete /root/Startup/firstrun. Sorry about that - not sure how I missed it.

HiDeHo

#2013 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:You state here that you used the wbar from the wiki and below that you used the one from the ppm. Which is it?

If you want combo sfses, just extract them, combine them and recompress the resulting directory. Or use the sfs builder from the repo.

Anything loaded on the fly will be remembered for the next bootup. You can load as many sfses as you want and they will be remembered.
you are corect i did. i actually edited that out removing that statement as i actually tested the one from ppm which i thought was the same. i clearly remember editing it. but also glitches happen. sorry for any confusion.

to clarify i got the wbar from ppm
i am also looking into the cario-doc suggested and comparing them.

HiDeHo

#2014 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:Saluki 016 has been released:

New in 016:
Various bugfixes, including dvd mounting, startmount ntfs drives, Thunar not refreshing file lists, and midori local html files.
ok now how do i update to new Saluki. would i need to use all files or just replace the adrive and zdrive.files. is there an easy way to update from saluki-1.5 - saluki-1.6. I am just gauging how things are done in Saluki.

Some ideas I have
**Could you link to the new pup here.
**also most other apps and os on forum have a separate forum post for each new release. (good ones use the puppy wikka site as the main info and links to things including new forum posts). It makes it easy to find help on the version one might have. as this post is already 135 pages long. then again you do what you feel just providing feedback.

HiDeHo

#2015 Post by HiDeHo »

have some issues with cario doc i am not sure weather they where just on saluki or also in other puppies so i created a post click here

Marv

016 update

#2016 Post by Marv »

Posting from 016. Smooth bonehead update 015-016. Just mount the iso, copy the 016 Adrive, Zdrive, initrd, vmlinuz, puppy_luki files to Home (USB drive in this case), hide Adrive in my case, delete 015 files (except save) and reboot. All settings preserved ) 016 live.

firstrun deleted from /root/startup per post.

Fix on backlight control works perfectly on Dell D610, Fujitsu S6120, and IBM T60 laptops. max_brightness reported correctly in all 3. THANKS.

So far so good. Video and resolution on all 3 laptops set correctly on first boot (two intel i915 and an ATI mobility radeon X1300).

More testing later.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

jemimah

#2017 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:
jemimah wrote:Saluki 016 has been released:

New in 016:
ok now how do i update to new Saluki. would i need to use all files or just replace the adrive and zdrive.files. is there an easy way to update from saluki-1.5 - saluki-1.6. I am just gauging how things are done in Saluki.

Some ideas I have
**Could you link to the new pup here.
**also most other apps and os on forum have a separate forum post for each new release. (good ones use the puppy wikka site as the main info and links to things including new forum posts). It makes it easy to find help on the version one might have. as this post is already 135 pages long. then again you do what you feel just providing feedback.
Updating is the same as any other pup. All files should be updated. If you had a custom adrive, just delete the saluki adrive and rename the custom one in it's place.

Links to the latest version are always in the first post. I don't expect anyone to read this whole thread - just the first post and the last few pages. I might start a new thread for the final release.

jemimah

#2018 Post by jemimah »

HiDeHo wrote:
jemimah wrote:You state here that you used the wbar from the wiki and below that you used the one from the ppm. Which is it?

If you want combo sfses, just extract them, combine them and recompress the resulting directory. Or use the sfs builder from the repo.

Anything loaded on the fly will be remembered for the next bootup. You can load as many sfses as you want and they will be remembered.
you are corect i did. i actually edited that out removing that statement as i actually tested the one from ppm which i thought was the same. i clearly remember editing it. but also glitches happen. sorry for any confusion.

to clarify i got the wbar from ppm
i am also looking into the cario-doc suggested and comparing them.
I coudn't reproduce the wbar issue on my (very fast) machine. You might be able to fix it by adding a longer delay before starting wbar.

I don't recommend cairo dock to be installed by default unless you want your puplet to only work on fast computers.

HiDeHo

#2019 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:I coudn't reproduce the wbar issue on my (very fast) machine. You might be able to fix it by adding a longer delay before starting wbar.

I don't recommend cairo dock to be installed by default unless you want your puplet to only work on fast computers.
ok i will .look into that and yes i noticed cario-doc was fance rendering. will stick with wbar instead

Geoffrey

#2020 Post by Geoffrey »

All seems nice, yes the first start popped up again, it also has a fault, country settings appears to be broken, see image.
Attachments
countrysettings.png
(26.39 KiB) Downloaded 725 times

jemimah

#2021 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote:All seems nice, yes the first start popped up again, it also has a fault, country settings appears to be broken, see image.
We just need a font that covers more languages. Does anyone know of one that's easy on the eyes?

I uploaded "unifont" to the repo, but it's kind of painful to look at for long periods.

Edit: Ok it looks like just having unifont installed solves the problem - one doesn't actually need to select it for use. Great!

James C

#2022 Post by James C »

Manually upgraded my frugal install from 015 to 016. Other than having to reset the keyboard everything went smoothly.

Geoffrey

#2023 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:All seems nice, yes the first start popped up again, it also has a fault, country settings appears to be broken, see image.
We just need a font that covers more languages. Does anyone know of one that's easy on the eyes?

I uploaded "unifont" to the repo, but it's kind of painful to look at for long periods.

Edit: Ok it looks like just having unifont installed solves the problem - one doesn't actually need to select it for use. Great!
It's not the font that's the problem, but the fact that en English is listed three times and a number of the others are duplicated, worst of all there is no Australian entry :lol:

Installed GL drivers then tried Assaultcube on a new save, it loaded all dependencies, runs fine 8)

DaveS

#2024 Post by DaveS »

In general terms, FirstRun seems to be something of a nightmare compared to the old multi-page terminal set-up.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

HiDeHo

#2025 Post by HiDeHo »

just want to know how you post screenshots. the automatic code provided in the forum editor does not work at all.

DaveS

#2026 Post by DaveS »

HiDeHo wrote:
just want to know how you post screenshots. the automatic code provided in the forum editor does not work at all.
First you have to upload your screenshot to a hosting service such as Tinypic, then insert a link to it in your post in this forum.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

HiDeHo

#2027 Post by HiDeHo »

jemimah wrote:I coudn't reproduce the wbar issue on my (very fast) machine. You might be able to fix it by adding a longer delay before starting wbar.

i worked out what the problem was. the new wbar puts a start script in the startup folder. the old one needed to be added to the .xinitrc file as mentioned in the wikka post. click here i removed the line from the .xinitrc file and replaced the line wbar & in the file /root/startup/wbar-start with it now all is working ok. a slight edit.

HiDeHo

#2028 Post by HiDeHo »

DaveS wrote:First you have to upload your screenshot to a hosting service such as Tinypic, then insert a link to it in your post in this forum.
this does not work. i upload screenshot to imagebin which is a pretty standard site to use and share screenshots. it does not post them.

see this forum post click here for this and other issues i have with the forum.

James C

#2029 Post by James C »

Test....... seems to be pretty easy to add a screenshot.First time I've used TinyPic...... :lol:

Here's the code...

Code: Select all

[img]http://i40.tinypic.com/rwihjb.jpg[/img]
Last edited by James C on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 09:09, edited 2 times in total.

Geoffrey

#2030 Post by Geoffrey »

HiDeHo wrote:
DaveS wrote:First you have to upload your screenshot to a hosting service such as Tinypic, then insert a link to it in your post in this forum.
this does not work. i upload screenshot to imagebin which is a pretty standard site to use and share screenshots. it does not post them.

see this forum post click here for this and other issues i have with the forum.
This use of [img]<---->[/img] see example,

what ever you do don't post large images, 800x 600 should be ok, else sage will be on to you like a ton of bricks :lol:

Code: Select all

[img]http://dellone2one.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/angry_wet_cat.jpg[/img]
edit:removed unnecessary image
Last edited by Geoffrey on Mon 26 Mar 2012, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.