Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mavrothal

#1816 Post by mavrothal »

Sage wrote:Black screens, video cards, monitors, etc may bore the pants of some, but, at the moment, it's the most important issue confronting the breed.
Indeed hardware compatibility hits you way before interface usability/package availability.
Saluki may choose to focus only on machines that work or rediscover the wheel as luci, slacko, exprimo, fatdog, etc before it.
Maybe is time for a coherent, collaborative, development model (git/subversion/mercurial) with "clear" commits, branches, pulling, merging, etc?...
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Dromeno

Saluki 14 - wine, icewm, compiz

#1817 Post by Dromeno »

I am testing the new Saluki 14 on my AsusEEE 1215n

I like what I see! Some small things:

Wine 1.4 does not automatically install all its missing libs yet

I am not sure if I want to make the transition from icewm to xfce. Is there a version of icewm recommended for this puplet?

OTOH - xfce is able to work with compiz right? I know it is pure eye candy but it looks nice. What do I need to install to get compiz (rotating desktop cube!) working in Saluki?

#1818 Post by 106498 »

Just took saluki for a test drive on my toshiba nb200 (standard atom 10 inch netbook). All hardware appears to work! Some initial thoughts:
- Splash screens that pop up are a bit obtrusive, especially listing all the partitions etc.
- The mouse is enormous
- starting frisbee from the control panel, managed to open up two instances. Both running in the tray. This should be avoided I think.
- configuring wireless in frisbee, informed me that it failed. Seconds later got an IP assigned and everything works.
- can't change mouse speed / accelleration either using gui or xset. Both don't work.
- I created a desktop icon (using right mouse click, send to > desktop, I think??) to a script, which runs the opera browser. (/home/opera-11.blah/opera). Clicking it on the desktop does nothing. The script does work if clicked directly.
- managing of mounting/unmounting: Would be nice if could open each partition in file manager from the tray once mounted.

I have to say, my compliments on a nice looking puppy! I think good choice of default desktop environment (although personally prefer rox/icewm). May try out the remaster script later.
-Thomas
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

smokey01

#1819 Post by smokey01 »

Is there a Citrix ICA client available for Saluki?

Tman

#1820 Post by Tman »

Geoffrey wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: @Tman,
Well, I tried installing the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.20.run and I get the same result as the the pet package, a total lockup when running glxgears.

The GeForce 8600 GT is stable using the NVIDIA-Linux-x86-290.10.run driver.
Great, thank you. So it is the Nvidia driver itself then that is having problems with your hardware. I will package an older Nvidia driver at a later date, for you to try.

antiloquax

#1821 Post by antiloquax »

@Jemimah I'm rebuilding Python3. This time I have done it with gdbm installed, which I had overlooked.

EDIT: it still failed to build module _dbm.
Any ideas about how to solve this?

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to worry about ossmediadev? I read on Stackoverflow that Linux uses ALSA instead of this?
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

jim3630

#1822 Post by jim3630 »

using 014 several days and it is a pleasure. no problems to report.

using it on a plane 3 yrs old hp laptop.

antiloquax

#1823 Post by antiloquax »

antiloquax wrote:@Jemimah I'm rebuilding Python3.
Still failed to build module _dbm.
I've tried installing a couple of .deb packages (libgdbm3 and python3-gbdm) but still can't get this to work. :(
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

jemimah

Re: Python 3.1.4 with Pygame .pet

#1824 Post by jemimah »

antiloquax wrote:
Glad that one was okay. Sorry, but what do you mean by "strip the libs"?
Stripping the libs removes unneeded debugging symbols - sometimes this saves a huge amount of space.

The the default new2dir command strips executables, but not libs - I'm not sure why it's this way. I suppose there's some circumstances which stripping libs breaks things but I've never seen it. I have fixed the new2dir in saluki to do it automatically.

To find and strip libs manually I do this inside the package directory:

Code: Select all

find . -name "*.so*" -exec strip --strip-unneeded {} \;
You can tell if a lib or bin is stripped or not by running

Code: Select all

file <filename>

jemimah

#1825 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
Sage wrote:Black screens, video cards, monitors, etc may bore the pants of some, but, at the moment, it's the most important issue confronting the breed.
Indeed hardware compatibility hits you way before interface usability/package availability.
Saluki may choose to focus only on machines that work or rediscover the wheel as luci, slacko, exprimo, fatdog, etc before it.
Maybe is time for a coherent, collaborative, development model (git/subversion/mercurial) with "clear" commits, branches, pulling, merging, etc?...
If Barry has no interest in sponsoring this type of development it's up to the community to set it up. But first someone needs to build a puplet good enough to attract a developer community.

I'm trying to here to make a puplet that is flexible enough in the right places to encourage to merging rather than forking, but it takes time.

To further complicate things, all of Barry's patches to woof would need to be merged manually. It's not easy since Barry localized everything it's going to be a major pain to get things back in sync.

jemimah

Re: Saluki 14 - wine, icewm, compiz

#1826 Post by jemimah »

Dromeno wrote:I am testing the new Saluki 14 on my AsusEEE 1215n

I like what I see! Some small things:

Wine 1.4 does not automatically install all its missing libs yet

I am not sure if I want to make the transition from icewm to xfce. Is there a version of icewm recommended for this puplet?

OTOH - xfce is able to work with compiz right? I know it is pure eye candy but it looks nice. What do I need to install to get compiz (rotating desktop cube!) working in Saluki?
I haven't tested icewm yet. If it supports the --replace option, it should be easy to run it with xfce.

Compiz should work, just install the compiz pet.

jemimah

#1827 Post by jemimah »

106498 wrote:Just took saluki for a test drive on my toshiba nb200 (standard atom 10 inch netbook). All hardware appears to work! Some initial thoughts:
- Splash screens that pop up are a bit obtrusive, especially listing all the partitions etc.
- The mouse is enormous
- starting frisbee from the control panel, managed to open up two instances. Both running in the tray. This should be avoided I think.
- configuring wireless in frisbee, informed me that it failed. Seconds later got an IP assigned and everything works.
- can't change mouse speed / accelleration either using gui or xset. Both don't work.
- I created a desktop icon (using right mouse click, send to > desktop, I think??) to a script, which runs the opera browser. (/home/opera-11.blah/opera). Clicking it on the desktop does nothing. The script does work if clicked directly.
- managing of mounting/unmounting: Would be nice if could open each partition in file manager from the tray once mounted.

I have to say, my compliments on a nice looking puppy! I think good choice of default desktop environment (although personally prefer rox/icewm). May try out the remaster script later.
-Thomas
Thanks for the feedback.

It's probably better to create desktop icons by dragging them to the desktop from the menu. Xfdesktop has some issue with scripts, but it seems to work well with .desktop files.

jemimah

#1828 Post by jemimah »

smokey01 wrote:Is there a Citrix ICA client available for Saluki?
Not yet. I will see if I can find one.

butchydave

luki 14

#1829 Post by butchydave »

Just want to say i'm really liking this dog!! Thanks so much for everyones time (massive) and effort.
I love playing with puppy!! :D

jemimah

#1830 Post by jemimah »

antiloquax wrote:@Jemimah I'm rebuilding Python3. This time I have done it with gdbm installed, which I had overlooked.

EDIT: it still failed to build module _dbm.

Am I right in thinking that I don't need to worry about ossmediadev? I read on Stackoverflow that Linux uses ALSA instead of this?
I couldn't get it to build either. Skip it for now unless there's a specific reason you need it. If you do need it, let me know and I'll see if I can fix it.

Yeah, don't worry about OSS either.

Re: Saluki 14 - wine, icewm, compiz

#1831 Post by 106498 »

Dromeno wrote: I am not sure if I want to make the transition from icewm to xfce. Is there a version of icewm recommended for this puplet?
Just did this myself. Get icewm from here.

Then open the "session and startup" from the control panel. Under autostart add icewm, using the command "icewm --replace". No quote marks! Name it whatever you want.

Now, if you disable the icewm taskbar, you have a very elegant combination in the xfce panel with icewm window manager. Probably want some nice themes though!! If you want more help setting this up just ask (by default this icewm package is a little odd as far as setup goes). Maybe start a new thread for that.

Jemimah: I like the custom builder! I just deleted the adrive file and am now adding whatever I like. Very nice.

Also, when installing icewm the menu doesn't quite work. (It's pretty close though). The system category isn't added for one.

Thanks for the great work!

-Thomas
[color=green]An expert is just a beginner with experience.[/color]
Shamelessly representing [url=http://www.tdem.co.nz]TdeM[/url]!

mavrothal

#1832 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote:
If Barry has no interest in sponsoring this type of development it's up to the community to set it up. But first someone needs to build a puplet good enough to attract a developer community.

I'm trying to here to make a puplet that is flexible enough in the right places to encourage to merging rather than forking, but it takes time.

To further complicate things, all of Barry's patches to woof would need to be merged manually. It's not easy since Barry localized everything it's going to be a major pain to get things back in sync.

That is a mistake that other pupplets did before (except slacko I believe that stays very close to woof). They wait too long to publicly "branch and patch" so by the time they are "ready" they have diverged too much to merge. This "privacy" has also not given the "chance" to BK to maybe pick an choose "appealing" changes, so merging might become easier latter. He does look at the public code anyway, so this should not be out of question

I think though that the real problem might be that actually pupplets are not developed within a versioning system to begin with! If they had I believe things would be simpler.
This is the fundamental culture change that puppy developers need, I think.

BTW, "good enough" is maybe the wrong approach when it comes to development. Is too late in the game and takes all the fun and drive away from the prospective contributors :wink:
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1833 Post by Lobster »

Never experienced this before. :?
Booted into 014 from DVD - it is relatively pristine.
No sound.
Annoying but tried various options (that had already been set). I got sound but it was slowed down to maybe half speed. Very bizarre. Not sure why. Eventually got normal sound after reboots but then the mouse cursor slowed down and I had to abandon Saluki altogether . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

DaveS

#1834 Post by DaveS »

Trying to see this thru the eyes of a user new to Linux, I think maybe the package manager is a bit hidden. Maybe a launcher pre-configured to the panel labled 'Install software' would be nice
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

antiloquax

#1835 Post by antiloquax »

jemimah wrote: Skip it for now unless there's a specific reason you need it.
Yeah, don't worry about OSS either.
Right, I should get this done this evening! :D