Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#1771 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:Jemimah, (or anyone else who knows)

I was going to try and compile Kazehakase Web Browser, which can use either Mozilla Gecko or WebKit rendering engines, but it requires a newer gtk. :(

How do I add QtWebKit to the PKG-CONFIG_PATH environmental variable? I've been trying to compile uzbl web browser, but it can't find webkit-1.0 when I run make. Does that mean, I have to replace "webkit-1.0" with "QtWebKit-4.9" in the makefile?

There is no DOTconfigure file for it..only a makefile.

There is a thread for Uzbl here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=71665

EDIT: okay, I found where to add the environmental variable..
Wait, does it want webkitgtk or qt-webkit? webkit-1.0 refers to webkitgtk I think.

If you install webkitgtk-shared and the webkitgtk-shared_DEV, it should find it.

Tman

#1772 Post by Tman »

I have attached the source file for Uzbl Web Browser if anyone is interested.

Tman

#1773 Post by Tman »

jemimah wrote: Wait, does it want webkitgtk or qt-webkit? webkit-1.0 refers to webkitgtk I think.

If you install webkitgtk-shared and the webkitgtk-shared_DEV, it should find it.
It wants webkit-1.0. Thanks, I will look for the appropriate pets now.

NICE..it worked..now testing the pet...

sszindian

#1774 Post by sszindian »

Jemimah:

Saluki-014 is looking very good... no problems in all tests so far... more to go!

For the fun of it, I tried installing a fresh Saluki-014 on my old T22 IBM Notebook (512MB RAM - 15-inch screen) Surprisingly, it loaded without a hitch, finding the right screen resolution and connecting eth0 automatically. First test was the Internet... madori loaded up and came on line pretty fast for an old box. Tried connecting to a site... it connected however, after about half-a-minute it 'dropped' Medori like a hot potato just 'bang' and it was gone! Tried both with and without flash, several times same results.

Now I realize Saluki is not meant for older machines but... it would be nice if they could handle it OK.

This same 'Drop Browser' happens on this T22 box also with every version of Racy (using Seamonkey) from 5.2.2 thru 5.2.2.9 (I tested them all) so it appears to me there must be some little snippet of code (maybe in Woof) that is causing this little devil to not work. 'If' by chance you happen to run across a fix... I would appreciate knowing as I do believe Saluki would be a great addition also for older boxes. So far, Exprimo - Luci (Three-Headed-Dog) - All run without this issue using FireFox in Exprimo and Iron in Luci both with the 3.X Kernels so Kernel's are NOT the issue.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

antiloquax

Python 3.1.4 with Pygame .pet

#1775 Post by antiloquax »

Here's my .pet for Python 3.1.4 with Pygame.
No menu, but typing "python3" or "idle3" at the console will take you to the Python prompt or shell.

I've not included the Pygame "examples" folder - hope that is okay.

I plan to have a go at pygame for the Saluki version of Python2.7, maybe tomorrow.

You need tk, tcl and all the SDL bits. I have put them in dependencies list (hope I did it right!)

Python 3.1.4
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

Tman

#1776 Post by Tman »

Heres a rudimentary pet of Uzbl web browser.

It is small but requires the webkit-1.6.3-shared-i486.pet
Python is not necessary for uzbl core, but is used for extra config settings.

This is a hard-core minimalist browser designed to function mainly with just a keyboard, although it has mouse-capabilities...not for newbies.

It is the latest version from (Edit) github.com..downloaded today.
I will try and see if I can create a more user-friendly version at a later date.

According to the website info, able coders can make extensions for it in virtually any language, including bash.

The download link is here -> uzbl_browser-0.5-saluki.pet
Attachments
uzbl.jpg
(41.98 KiB) Downloaded 766 times
Last edited by Tman on Tue 13 Mar 2012, 20:40, edited 5 times in total.

jemimah

Re: Python 3.1.4 with Pygame .pet

#1777 Post by jemimah »

antiloquax wrote:Here's my .pet for Python 3.1.4 with Pygame.
No menu, but typing "python3" or "idle3" at the console will take you to the Python prompt or shell.

I've not included the Pygame "examples" folder - hope that is okay.

I plan to have a go at pygame for the Saluki version of Python2.7, maybe tomorrow.

You need tk, tcl and all the SDL bits. I have put them in dependencies list (hope I did it right!)

Python 3.1.4
Awesome! I'll take a look at this tomorrow. I wonder if it would be useful to split this into separate pets or if it's better to leave it combined.

jemimah

#1778 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:Heres a rudimentary pet of Uzbl web browser.

It is small but requires the webkit-1.6.3-shared-i486.pet
Python is not necessary for uzbl core, but is used for extra config settings.

This is a hard-core minimalist browser designed to function mainly with just a keyboard, although it has mouse-capabilities...not for newbies.

I wasn't sure what version it was, so I just put 0.1 in the pet, but it is the latest version from (Edit) github.com..downloaded today.
I will try and see if I can create a more user-friendly version at a later date.

According to the website info, able coders can make extensions for it in virtually any language, including bash.
I've uploaded this to the repo.

jemimah

Re: 014

#1779 Post by jemimah »

sszindian wrote:Jemimah:

Saluki-014 is looking very good... no problems in all tests so far... more to go!

For the fun of it, I tried installing a fresh Saluki-014 on my old T22 IBM Notebook (512MB RAM - 15-inch screen) Surprisingly, it loaded without a hitch, finding the right screen resolution and connecting eth0 automatically. First test was the Internet... madori loaded up and came on line pretty fast for an old box. Tried connecting to a site... it connected however, after about half-a-minute it 'dropped' Medori like a hot potato just 'bang' and it was gone! Tried both with and without flash, several times same results.

Now I realize Saluki is not meant for older machines but... it would be nice if they could handle it OK.

This same 'Drop Browser' happens on this T22 box also with every version of Racy (using Seamonkey) from 5.2.2 thru 5.2.2.9 (I tested them all) so it appears to me there must be some little snippet of code (maybe in Woof) that is causing this little devil to not work. 'If' by chance you happen to run across a fix... I would appreciate knowing as I do believe Saluki would be a great addition also for older boxes. So far, Exprimo - Luci (Three-Headed-Dog) - All run without this issue using FireFox in Exprimo and Iron in Luci both with the 3.X Kernels so Kernel's are NOT the issue.

>>>---Indian------>
Hmm is there anything interesting in the "dmesg" output?

antiloquax

Re: Python 3.1.4 with Pygame .pet

#1780 Post by antiloquax »

jemimah wrote: Awesome! [...] I wonder if it would be useful to split this into separate pets or if it's better to leave it combined.
Thanks Jemimah! Let me know what you think when you've checked it works!

mark
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

dalderton

#1781 Post by dalderton »

I have tried a couple of times to install Saluki with no success .My box is a bit ordinary but I have never before had problems with any Pup I tried . I have Racy and 3HD on partitions on this hard disc with no problems.
Saluki does not find the screen resolution which is 1440*900 no matter what.
I am not particularly concerned as 3HD has been the best I have tried up to date. Incidentally I always Full install to the Hard Disc as I have never been able to see the point of Frugal installs. This is in no way a criticism of Saluki , I just thought that someone may be interested.
Regards Dennis.

smokey01

#1782 Post by smokey01 »

Dennis have you tried CTRL+Alt+Backspace to get to the prompt.
Then type xorgwizard [enter] then probe or select your preferred screen resolution.
Once selected type xwin [enter]

Does it now work?

I had a similar problem with another monitor. Although it said it couldn't do 1280x1024, if I did the above it worked.

Good luck.

James C

#1783 Post by James C »

dalderton wrote:I have tried a couple of times to install Saluki with no success .My box is a bit ordinary but I have never before had problems with any Pup I tried . I have Racy and 3HD on partitions on this hard disc with no problems.
Saluki does not find the screen resolution which is 1440*900 no matter what.
I am not particularly concerned as 3HD has been the best I have tried up to date. Incidentally I always Full install to the Hard Disc as I have never been able to see the point of Frugal installs. This is in no way a criticism of Saluki , I just thought that someone may be interested.
Regards Dennis.
My Nvidia boxes all boot straight to a black screen too. You can find my posts scattered back through the thread. :lol: Also use 1440x900 as well.I've always ended up getting the correct resolution after using xorgwizard.

smokey01's way should work or if booting from the cd hit F2 to enter boot codes, enter "puppy pfix=nox" (without the quotes) which will get you to the prompt where you can run xorgwizard as detailed above.

Sage

#1784 Post by Sage »

What smokey & James say both work. They are a restatement of what Jemimah said in response my several enquiries. Furthermore, J. wanted to say that she has no control over what Xorg chooses. Well, that may be so, but none of the other (current) derivatives, with or without nV or monitor complications, with or without booting direct to Quickset, end up with this feature. The question remains, what aspect of which Xorg version is causing the problem. Can Xorg be forced into selecting a lower resolution? Didn't BK confront something similar a while back? Now that a ground swell of reports are confirming my reports of aeons ago (well, several weeks) maybe one of the gurus around might look into how it could be circumvented? It may not be exciting, but it's exactly the sort of issue to deter the timid neophyte.

Sage

#1785 Post by Sage »

SiS video driver is in the 'choose' list but doesn't work.

dalderton

#1786 Post by dalderton »

I have been through the xorgwizard route but it still would not give me the required resolution. Once previously when I tried Saluki it would boot to the screen but It would not respond to the mouse clicks so I gave up on it . Then last week when I tried it igot the aforementioned problem with resolution.
All very strange but I guess thats why we continue to try these things.
Regards Dennis.

Sage

#1787 Post by Sage »

xorgwizard route ... would not give me the required resolution
Generally, it's necessary to choose the native resolution for your monitor, then select a lower resolution to display. If you start with 800x600 display that is almost ubiquitous, then, depending on monitor/eyesight/proximity it may be possible to set 1024x768. Folks displaying to their (large) TV screens often choose too high a display requiring viewers to unpack their opera glasses...

antiloquax

#1788 Post by antiloquax »

Here's my .pet for pygame in Python2.7.
You'll need the Saluki Python2.7, python-tk, tk, tcl, and all the SDL bits.
Pygame for Python2.7.2

mavrothal

#1789 Post by mavrothal »

Since the early Racy builds I had issues with the 7.6 xserver.
It may has to do with the way was build (as a replacement for the 7.3 xserver of Wary).
It may worth recompiling for Saluki or use the one from Luci (certain components I tried work fine). I believe the Racy/Saluki version is build from the Ubuntu 10.04 sources anyway.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#1790 Post by jemimah »

dalderton wrote:I have been through the xorgwizard route but it still would not give me the required resolution. Once previously when I tried Saluki it would boot to the screen but It would not respond to the mouse clicks so I gave up on it . Then last week when I tried it igot the aforementioned problem with resolution.
All very strange but I guess thats why we continue to try these things.
Regards Dennis.
This sounds more like a case of a missing zdrive.