Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Tman

#1711 Post by Tman »

Maybe it froze for me becuase my glxgears numbers are so low.

Code: Select all

371 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.057 FPS
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 75.000 FPS
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.998 FPS
I will search the repo for an xorg-high or mesa pet and try again if I find it.

pemasu

#1712 Post by pemasu »

Or benchmark with something else than Midori.

Tman

#1713 Post by Tman »

Firefox 7.0.1 benchmarks fine in Saluki without additional video drivers.
I wanted to do the test in Midori becuase I wanted to compare the results with other browsers...ah well.

Geoffrey

#1714 Post by Geoffrey »

Tman wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
Tman wrote: I have created an Nvidia pet in Saluki-13.
I tried this with a 8600 GT, it gave me twice the frame rate 40000 in 5 seconds than did my manual install of the driver, but it was unstable and crashed the system, :? I tried twice to get it too work, but gave up in preference to a manual installation.
Geoffery, were you running glxgears when it crashed or were you running something else? Did you try installing the driver in a fresh savefile?
Hmmm.. I don't know what the problem could be. I compiled it on an AMD Athlon dual-core, and am wondering if it matters what cpu one compiles it on. I will do some experimenting to see if I can figure out the problem.
Tman,

Yeah, it was a fresh install, glxgears wasn't running at the time, I have compiz and cairo dock working, when it froze I was moving a compiz wobbly window and turning the power off was the only option left for me.

I'm now using NVIDIA-Linux-x86-209.10.run, I will have to try 209.20 manually installed, a friend of mine tried the pet, but his experience with it was a slower frame rate than he previously had :?,
a manual install of NVIDIA-Linux-x86-209.20.run yield a frame rate better than Ubuntu could offer while running WoW in Wine 1.4, strange.

Oh the difference when I do a install is I don't select nvidia in the xorgwizard choose, but when I installed the pet package I did, normally
I just probe select the res and xwin, this could be a factor, I'll test it some more, this time keeping a record of outcomes to compare.

James C

#1715 Post by James C »

Just tried Peacekeeper in Midori ...... got about halfway through before Saluki froze up. Running the Nvidia driver and fairly good numbers from glxgears.
Just for comparison purposes, just ran Peacekepper on Windows 7 and Chrome ....scored 2600.

Tman

#1716 Post by Tman »

Geoffery,

I am not sure if this is a factor or not, but I am curious; what cpu do you have? And I always choose the Nvidia driver manually, after I install the pet; Xorgwizard sometimes chooses the wrong driver.

Thanks James..I guess it's a Midori thing. Okay I'll stop complaining about Midori now, lest I incur someone's wrath.. yikes!

Geoffrey

#1717 Post by Geoffrey »

Tman wrote:Unfortunately, I am still getting the following error message in Midori:

MozPlugger: Error: Failed to execute m4.
Mozplugger: M4 parsing of config generated error
This error is repeatable with the following steps:
1) type midori in the console
2) in Midori's address bar, type murga linux forum and press enter
3) click on the appropriate link that takes you to the murga forum. For me, it was the 2nd link.

Installing Pemasu's mozplugger pet still doesn't resolve the issue. (thanks for trying, Pemasu)

On the positive side, Midori 0.4.4 does seem to be more stable; it hasn't crashed on me so far, and I just discovered that it handles HTML5..nice!!

I tried this and get no errors at all with Midori 0.4.4, works fine, seems stable, yeah HTML5 works ok, plays webm video.
mavrothal wrote: installed Midori 4.4 over 4.3 and now is stable in a number of sites that was crashing before.
However looks like I can not add new bookmarks. Adding them only shows in the side panel but not in the menu, and after restarting midori they are gone from there too.
Is it just me?

Edit Changed the ~/.config/midori/* permissions from 644 to 664 and now it behaves. eg sticks on restart but only shows in the menus after restart Confused
It worked ok for me out of the box, bookmarks show in all the right places and stick

Geoffrey

#1718 Post by Geoffrey »

Tman wrote:Geoffery,

I am not sure if this is a factor or not, but I am curious; what cpu do you have? And I always choose the Nvidia driver manually, after I install the pet; Xorgwizard sometimes chooses the wrong driver.

Thanks James..I guess it's a Midori thing. Okay I'll stop complaining about Midori now, lest I incur someone's wrath.. yikes!
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+ : 2310.33MHz

VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation G84 [GeForce 8600 GT]
-OpenGL-
Vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer : GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
Version : 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10
Direct Rendering : Yes

glxgears
22829 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4565.664 FPS
23525 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4703.248 FPS
23963 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4792.497 FPS
23523 frames in 5.0 seconds = 4704.451 FPS

I need to try the 290.20 driver to compare

jemimah

#1719 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:
jemimah wrote: Do you get this with pfix=ram. I can't reproduce it. What happens if you run m4 in the terminal?
Yes, it happens for me in pfix=ram mode as well.
My frugals pups are installed in a linux partition, not an ntfs partition. This one is using a .2fs saved file.

When I type m4 in the terminal, I get

bash: m4: command not found.
Nevermind about the clock settings..I figured out how to change the time.

I should add that when I ran the benchmark test on the following site, Saluki froze and I could not even quit using CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE..
http://peacekeeper.futuremark.com/
Ah, I bet m4 is in the devx. Got it.

jemimah

#1720 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:Maybe it froze for me becuase my glxgears numbers are so low.

371 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.057 FPS
375 frames in 5.0 seconds = 74.998 FPS
I will search the repo for an xorg-high or mesa pet and try again if I find it.
mesa/xorg-high is installed by default.

Tman

#1721 Post by Tman »

jemimah wrote:mesa/xorg-high is installed by default.
ok, thanks. I installed the compiz pet and added a workspaceswitcher to the panel to see compiz effects during workspace-switching, but I couldn't switch between virtual desktops. Anyone else have that problem?

Geoffrey

#1722 Post by Geoffrey »

Tman wrote:
ok, thanks. I installed the compiz pet and added a workspaceswitcher to the panel to see compiz effects during workspace-switching, but I couldn't switch between virtual desktops. Anyone else have that problem?
It's working for me ok, It didn't at first then I realized I still had glxgears running :roll:

Billtoo

#1723 Post by Billtoo »

I couldn't get the benchmark test of Midori to complete in Saluki, it
would get to the last minute and go no further.It didn't lock up the
computer but just stopped.
I have the Ubuntu 12.04 beta 1 64 bit version running on this pc which
is about 25% slower than the one that I tested firefox in Saluki,
I installed Midori and the benchmark completed successfully.

So, Midori is faster than firefox 11 in the benchmark test.

Tman

#1724 Post by Tman »

Billtoo wrote: So, Midori is faster than firefox 11 in the benchmark test.
thanks, Billtoo. It makes sense as it feels faster than Firefox. How about comparisons between Midori vs Opera vs Chrome?
Geoffrey wrote:
Tman wrote:
It's working for me ok, It didn't at first then I realized I still had glxgears running :roll:
Workspaceswitcher works for me without compiz. Once compiz is installed, it no longer functions properly.

Okay back to Saluki frugal install...
jemimah wrote: Ah, I bet m4 is in the devx. Got it.
Confirmed. I no longer get the error message with midori once the devx is loaded.

Okay I think I'm done with testing for tonight..signing off.

scabz

#1725 Post by scabz »

Workspaceswitcher does work but it has to be set to 1 Workspace.
then through compiz set more Workspaces's, works for me it might take a couple of tries

--edit
turn compiz off set to one workspace then turn compiz on and set more workspaces through compiz

Geoffrey

#1726 Post by Geoffrey »

double post,
Last edited by Geoffrey on Sun 11 Mar 2012, 02:46, edited 1 time in total.

Geoffrey

#1727 Post by Geoffrey »

Tman wrote: Workspaceswitcher works for me without compiz. Once compiz is installed, it no longer functions properly.
Did you set it up in compiz settings manager in general options, Desktop size, number of Desktops, just drag the slider for the number of Desktops you want, no need to stop and restart compiz it does it on the fly.

Tman

#1728 Post by Tman »

Geoffrey wrote:Did you set it up in compiz settings manager in general options, Desktop size, number of Desktops, just drag the slider for the number of Desktops you want, no need to stop and restart compiz it does it on the fly.
Thanks scabz and Geoffrey (I am a compiz noob). I enabled Desktop Cube and Desktop Rotate and the workspaceswitcher works..nice! :)
Attachments
compiz.jpg
(37.81 KiB) Downloaded 1251 times

futwerk

#1729 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds.
Attachments
pupfb13,1c.jpg
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(33.22 KiB) Downloaded 1211 times
pupfb13,1b.jpg
(47.61 KiB) Downloaded 1220 times
pupfb13,1a.jpg
(46.6 KiB) Downloaded 1187 times
pupfb13,1.jpg
(48.14 KiB) Downloaded 1217 times

DaveS

#1730 Post by DaveS »

As an interesting continuation of why Midori identifies itself as Safari and security, my bank (Nationwide) refuses to allow Midori to log in.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!