Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

Re: Specto and I2P

#1636 Post by jemimah »

Dromeno wrote:Is this the right place to post requests for Saluki?

I hope so... I would like to have a specto pet or sfs

specto is a python dependent website monitor, gives a pupup notification when a website changes. Puppy does not have a webmonitor app yet afaik

request no 2 would be I2P

I2P is an alternative to TOR, I wonder how slow it is compared to TOR. An i2p preconfigured puplet is available at sourceforge but it is of puppy 421. I can not get my wireless working in puppy 421 on my Asus EEE 1215n machine
Specto is now in the repo.

jemimah

Re: UPnP,DLNA,DAAP,RSP,MPD

#1637 Post by jemimah »

kimathi wrote:jemimah wrote:

Code: Select all

I've compiled avahi and mdns. Please let me know if it works. 

Also I uploaded a new mpd. Let me know if it's fixed
Have problems with avahi though it should not be hard to resolve. First thing is that avahi doesnt like to run as root so i have to first create user avahi

adduser avahi
then input a password. to start avahi by running in terminal

avahi-daemon
it complains about avahi being unable to run something to do with dbus due to policy. Anyhow my only work around that works is to install the previous version that i had posted and then to clobber it by upgrading to you version of avahi, then everything works. I guess your avahi needs some way to autolaunch either through /etc/init.d script or a way to auto create avahi user or to use another existing user like spot or daemon. If you get avahi to auto start then all is solved.

Mpd works too though i realised you did not include a sample config file. I wonder if someone who has never seen one would be in a position to create one,attached here are my config files. Drop them in /etc and edit where necessary to point to where your music is stored. start them from console/terminal. Also for Mpd create a file in /var/mpd/tag_cache, for forked-daap create a file in /var/cache/forked-daap/songs3.db. Thats it they all work. Your Minidlna too does not have the config file its also attached here.
I've added your example configs to the packages.

Also I fixed avahi to run as root and added the startup scripts. I'm still not sure it is working so let me know.

Tman

#1638 Post by Tman »

Thanks Jim1911 for the feedback about the Nvidia driver.
pemasu wrote: I compiled latest mozplugger...I dont know if it helps to that M4 error in /tmp/xerrs.log...but you can try...
I copied the previous /etc/mozpluggerrc content to the included one.
Thanks Pemasu, I have downloaded your mozplugger pet. I will download Saluki 14 today and test Midori again on the weekend.

Jemimah; Midori would be awesome if it was more stable. I am hoping future Midori releases will be.

On a side note, I am trying out Debian 6 stable, at the moment and it comes with Epiphany Web Browser, which I am using for this post.
It's new to me, so some Googling lead me to the following webpage: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/01/mido ... eview.html

It feels fast in Debian, on my AMD dual-core and has good RAM usage comparable to Midori. Actually uses a little less ram according to the article - correction: it uses less on startup, overall ram usage is a draw.

I wonder how hard it would be to port Epiphany to Puppy? Maybe I will give it a try.
[url=http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/custom_search_html-1.1.pet]Custom Puppy Linux search page[/url]

jemimah

#1639 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:Thanks Jim1911 for the feedback about the Nvidia driver.
pemasu wrote: I compiled latest mozplugger...I dont know if it helps to that M4 error in /tmp/xerrs.log...but you can try...
Thanks Pemasu, I have downloaded your mozplugger pet. I will download Saluki 14 today and test Midori again on the weekend.

Jemimah; Midori would be awesome if it was more stable. I am hoping future Midori releases will be.

On a side note, I am trying out Debian 6 stable, at the moment and it comes with Epiphany Web Browser, which I am using for this post.
It's new to me, so some Googling lead me to the following webpage: http://www.techdrivein.com/2011/01/mido ... eview.html

It feels fast in Debian, on my AMD dual-core and has good RAM usage comparable to Midori. Actually uses a little less ram according to the article - correction: it uses less on startup, overall ram usage is a draw.

I wonder how hard it would be to port Epiphany to Puppy? Maybe I will give it a try.
It's not really midori that's unstable - it's the rendering engine webkit. So other webkitgtk browsers are going to have similar issues to midori. (If you work on this I recommend gtkwebkit version 1.4.3 - the most stable version overall in my experience, though I haven't tried 1.6.3 yet)

Anyhoo, I've uploaded midori-4.4 (released yesterday) to the repo.

Jim1911

Saluki 014

#1640 Post by Jim1911 »

Fresh frugal installation of 014 with new save file on my desktop computer. Everything works fine so far except for the printer as I reported earlier using an existing save file. It does not recognize usb printers. See attached image.

Fresh frugal installation of 014 on my laptop is working fine also using existing save file. Everything works that I've checked including installation of a HP printer accessed over a wifi connection.

Cheers,
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
Printer Device list
(68.52 KiB) Downloaded 276 times

jemimah

#1641 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:

It's not really midori that's unstable - it's the rendering engine webkit. So other webkitgtk browsers are going to have similar issues to midori. (If you work on this I recommend gtkwebkit version 1.4.3 - the most stable version overall in my experience, though I haven't tried 1.6.3 yet)

Oooh webkitgtk-1.6.3 looks very promising - no more ugly black boxes everywhere. I will try a midori build with this version and see how it is.

I looked at ephipany - it needs gtk3 and a boatload of gnome deps.

DaveS

#1642 Post by DaveS »

Upgraded save file from 13 to 14. Flawless.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Tman

#1643 Post by Tman »

jemimah wrote: I looked at ephipany - it needs gtk3 and a boatload of gnome deps.
oh.. :(. I guess I won't bother with it then. (thanks)

How do you find out what dependencies source files need so fast?
[url=http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/custom_search_html-1.1.pet]Custom Puppy Linux search page[/url]

Sage

#1644 Post by Sage »

14 now works with nV driver on GF4 card, although initial display still showing Input Not Supported requiring CTRL-ALT-BKSPCE to access xorgwizard/choose/etc. Guess a suitable cheat-code could be used as well, but incomers confronted with negative message or start-up requirements has always acted as disincentive. No other Puppies have this feature. Still recommend adjusting boot-up defaults, esp. as these are easily adjusted on the quickset panel - if it is visible.

pemasu

#1645 Post by pemasu »

I have compiled in Saluki, using Saluki`s qt-4.8.0 to create some qt apps:
Beediff-1.9:
http://www.beesoft.org/index.php?id=beediff
Author: Piotr Pszczolkowski
Version: 1.9
Licence: GNU GPL
BeeDiff (beediff) is a program with graphical user interface (GUI) for comparing and merging files.
User have the possibilty to work with two text files, each in separate panel. Panels are side by side.
All differences of both texts are highlighted in colors.
Operation buttons (such as merge and remove) are located directly inside the compared texts in appropriate positions.
The program is user-friendly, very simple, and efficient
The pets has in pet.specs file the qt-4.8.0 dependency added

Kdiff3-0.9.96:
http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/
Author: Joachim Eibl
KDiff3 is a program that compares or merges two or three text input files or directories, shows the differences line by line and character by character (!), provides an automatic merge-facility and an integrated editor for comfortable solving of merge-conflicts, supports Unicode, UTF-8 and other codecs, Printing of differences, Manual alignment of lines, Automatic merging of version control history ($Log$), and has an intuitive graphical user interface. Windows-Explorer integration Diff-Ext-for-KDiff3 - shell extension included in installer (originally by Sergey Zorin: see also Diff Ext)
Okay then you need something to compare: you can use distraction free Focuswriter for that.
FocusWriter-1.3.5.2
http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/
FocusWriter is a simple, distraction-free writing environment. It utilizes a hide-away interface that you access by moving your mouse to the edges of the screen, allowing the program to have a familiar look and feel to it while still getting out of the way so that you can immerse yourself in your work. It's available for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X, and has been translated into many different languages.
Features: TXT, basic RTF, and basic ODT file support, Timers and alarms, Daily goals, Fully customizable themes, Typewriter sound effects (optional), Auto-save (optional), Live statistics (optional), Spell-checking (optional), Multi-document support, Sessions, Portable mode (optional)
FocusWriter needs libzip, the dependencies added to the pet.specs
Attachments
focuswriter_NLS-1.3.5.2.pet
(86.17 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
libzip-0.1.0.pet
(28.89 KiB) Downloaded 209 times
beediff-1.9.pet
(121.93 KiB) Downloaded 197 times
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 10 Mar 2012, 00:41, edited 2 times in total.

DaveS

#1646 Post by DaveS »

Midori is a great little browser while it stands up.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

mikeslr

(Upgrade?) problem with SaveFile or Adrive?

#1647 Post by mikeslr »

I mentioned a couple of posts back that I had frugally installed Saluki14 but had used the SaveFile created, and the adrv,,,sfs built in, Saluki13. Everything seemed fine (except for having to manually rename adrv..sfs to 14) until I tried to access partitions after a reboot. I have two sata hard drives (id'd by all recent puppies as sda and sdb). All my Puppies are in folders on sda2. Sdb contains mostly XP related files and most of its partitions are ntfs.
After a reboot, Saluki's drive mounting program seems to have confused sda with sdb. Clicking sda3 --an EXt3 storage partition-- opened sdb3. Clicking sdb3 opened but failed to mount anything.
I decided to "start from scratch," booted out of Saluki14, moved the upgraded or renamed SaveFile & adrv,,,sfs into a protected folder, remounted Saluki14.ISO and copied jemimah's included adrive into the Saluki folder, and rebooted into Saluki14. Because of how builder is structured I am no longer concerned with installed applications creating confusion regarding dependencies; and having a fully working environment simplifies making note of problems.
The mount problem did not reappear and I preceded to build a new adrive.
Perhaps the mount problem was not related to either the updated SaveFile, or the use of an adrive built during Saluki's prior incarnation. Chalk it up as a fluke until someone else encounters it.
Following are my notes on building adrive under Saluki14:
Although gnome-player works without it, dependency checker still reports mplayer_nogui as a missing dependency. See attached.
Continuing, dependency check also reported the following libs missing. See attached. These also don't appear to actually be essential to the running of their respective apps.
Since a user is offered the opportunity, indeed encouraged, to quit after something missing is reported, newby's may be intimated into quitting unnecessarily. Perhaps the warning should be less compelling. Or better still, some way to distinguish helpful, but not truly pre-requisite, apps/libs found.
During the build process you're afforded the opportunity to select your "default" apps. I'm not sure of how valuable the inclusion of this routine is because it does NOT offer the option of choosing as a default app an app you are including in your adrive build which is not already included in the currently running adrive. Consequently, once the new adrive is loaded you'll have to run default chooser again.
Builder's "remove built-in" routine is very nice. My only qualm is that, as I'm a perpetual novice, it offers the removal of some "apps" or "helper apps" whose purpose/use are not identified. I, of course, on the theory that it is better to have something you don't need than not have something you do need, left them in: even though I may have removed the application they were associated with.

All-in-all, Saluki is evolving into a really great operating system.

mikesLr
Attachments
missing_libs.jpg
missing libs, apparently not essential
(43.22 KiB) Downloaded 538 times
mplayer_nogui_missing.jpg
reported missing, apparently not really a dependency
(23.5 KiB) Downloaded 576 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 09 Mar 2012, 20:43, edited 2 times in total.

jemimah

Re: Since you ask

#1648 Post by jemimah »

myman_05 wrote:Hi... Jemimah

I wish you may add scribus 1.4.0.

Thanks.

p/s: Using saluki as my no. 1 OS
I've added this to the repo.

jemimah

Re: (Upgrade?) problem with SaveFile or Adrive?

#1649 Post by jemimah »

mikeslr wrote:I mentioned a couple of posts back that I had frugally installed Saluki14 but had used the SaveFile created, and the adrv,,,sfs built in, Saluki13. Everything seemed fine (except for having to manually rename adrv..sfs to 14) until I tried to access partitions after a reboot. I have two sata hard drives (id'd by all recent puppies as sda and sdb). All my Puppies are in folders on sda2. Sdb contains mostly XP related files and most of its partitions are ntfs.
After a reboot, Saluki's drive mounting program seems to have confused sda with sdb. Clicking sda3 --an EXt3 storage partition-- opened sdb3. Clicking sdb3 opened but failed to mount anything.
I decided to "start from scratch," booted out of Saluki14, moved the upgraded or renamed SaveFile & adrv,,,sfs into a protected folder, remounted Saluki14.ISO and copied jemimah's included adrive into the Saluki folder, and rebooted into Saluki14. Because of how builder is structured I am no longer concerned with installed applications creating confusion regarding dependencies; and having a fully working environment simplifies making note of problems.
The mount problem did not reappear and I preceded to build a new adrive.
Perhaps the mount problem was not related to either the updated SaveFile, or the use of an adrive built during Saluki's prior incarnation. Chalk it up as a fluke until someone else encounters it.
Following are my notes on building adrive under Saluki14:
Although gnome-player works without it, dependency checker still reports mplayer_nogui as a missing dependency. See attached.
Continuing, dependency check also reported the following libs missing. These also don't appear to actually be essential to the running of their respective apps. See attached.
Since a user is offered the opportunity, indeed encouraged, to quit after something missing is reported, newby's may be intimated into quitting unnecessarily. Perhaps the warning should be less compelling. Or better still, some way to distinguish helpful, but not truly pre-requisite, apps/libs found.
During the build process you're afforded the opportunity to select your "default" apps. I'm not sure of how valuable the inclusion of this routine is because it does NOT offer the option of choosing as a default app an app you are including in your adrive build which is not already included in the currently running adrive. Consequently, once the new adrive is loaded you'll have to run default chooser again.
Builder's "remove built-in" routine is very nice. My only qualm is that, as I'm a perpetual novice, it offers the removal of some "apps" or "helper apps" whose purpose/use are not identified. I, of course, on the theory that it is better to have something you don't need than not have something you do need, left them in: even though I may have removed the application they were associated with.

All-in-all, Saluki is evolving into a really great operating system.

mikesLr
I'm not sure where you got your gnome-mplayer. The one in the repo lists these dependencies: +gtk+,+dbus,+dbus-glib,+mplayer which all should be fine.

Really, you need to stick with packages from the repo if you want the dependency stuff to work.

Weird about the defaults-chooser. It worked for me when I tested it. I'll take another look at it.

It looks like we need a new wine pet. :)

jemimah

#1650 Post by jemimah »

Tman wrote:
jemimah wrote: I looked at ephipany - it needs gtk3 and a boatload of gnome deps.
oh.. :(. I guess I won't bother with it then. (thanks)

How do you find out what dependencies source files need so fast?
I downloaded it then just tried to configure it.

No package 'gtk+-3.0' found
No package 'gtk+-unix-print-3.0' found
No package 'webkitgtk-3.0' found
No package 'libsoup-gnome-2.4' found
No package 'gnome-keyring-1' found
No package 'gsettings-desktop-schemas' found
I'm not sure how much of gnome gnome-keyring and libsoup-gnome pull it, but I think it's more than I want to deal with (maybe not, hmm). That and gtk3, which I guess I can start playing with at some point.

jemimah

#1651 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote:
jemimah wrote:

Oooh webkitgtk-1.6.3 looks very promising - no more ugly black boxes everywhere. I will try a midori build with this version and see how it is.

I looked at ephipany - it needs gtk3 and a boatload of gnome deps.
I've uploaded a new midori 4.4 built against webkitgtk 1.6.3. This one seems really solid at first blush.

You'll probably have to remove midori with the remove-builtins program if you want to see the new version in the ppm.

jemimah

#1652 Post by jemimah »

pemasu wrote:I have compiled in Saluki, using Saluki`s qt-4.8.0 to create some qt apps:
Beediff-1.9:
http://www.beesoft.org/index.php?id=beediff
Author: Piotr Pszczolkowski
Version: 1.9
Licence: GNU GPL
BeeDiff (beediff) is a program with graphical user interface (GUI) for comparing and merging files.
User have the possibilty to work with two text files, each in separate panel. Panels are side by side.
All differences of both texts are highlighted in colors.
Operation buttons (such as merge and remove) are located directly inside the compared texts in appropriate positions.
The program is user-friendly, very simple, and efficient
The pets has in pet.specs file the qt-4.8.0 dependency added

Kdiff3-0.9.96:
http://kdiff3.sourceforge.net/
Author: Joachim Eibl
KDiff3 is a program that compares or merges two or three text input files or directories, shows the differences line by line and character by character (!), provides an automatic merge-facility and an integrated editor for comfortable solving of merge-conflicts, supports Unicode, UTF-8 and other codecs, Printing of differences, Manual alignment of lines, Automatic merging of version control history ($Log$), and has an intuitive graphical user interface. Windows-Explorer integration Diff-Ext-for-KDiff3 - shell extension included in installer (originally by Sergey Zorin: see also Diff Ext)
Okay then you need something to compare: you can use distraction free Focuswriter for that.
FocusWriter-1.3.5.2
http://gottcode.org/focuswriter/
FocusWriter is a simple, distraction-free writing environment. It utilizes a hide-away interface that you access by moving your mouse to the edges of the screen, allowing the program to have a familiar look and feel to it while still getting out of the way so that you can immerse yourself in your work. It's available for Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X, and has been translated into many different languages.
Features: TXT, basic RTF, and basic ODT file support, Timers and alarms, Daily goals, Fully customizable themes, Typewriter sound effects (optional), Auto-save (optional), Live statistics (optional), Spell-checking (optional), Multi-document support, Sessions, Portable mode (optional)
FocusWriter needs libzip, the dependencies added to the pet.specs
Thanks. I'll upload these to the repo. Do you have the libzip_DEV pet?

pemasu

#1653 Post by pemasu »

Sorry....sure I have..
Attachments
libzip_DEV-0.10.pet
(147.96 KiB) Downloaded 164 times

jemimah

Re: (Upgrade?) problem with SaveFile or Adrive?

#1654 Post by jemimah »

jemimah wrote: It looks like we need a new wine pet. :)
Wine 1.4 is now available.

James C

#1655 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of Saluki 014 on my backup Windows 7/PCLOS/Lucid/Exprimo/Slacko box.Sound and internet working on initial boot but booted to a black screen with a "monitor out of range" message. Ctrl/Alt/Bksp to xorgwizard to get a working 1440x900 resolution.But, missed on the first run settings dialog by going through xorgwizard from the black screen.

# report-video
Saluki, version 014 on Fri 9 Mar 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation G98 [GeForce 8400 GS] (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA
product: G98 Board - 5610002u Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nouveau

X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz

Summary
Computer
Processor Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 1033MB (218MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 09 Mar 2012 05:16:44 PM CST
Display
Resolution 1440x900 pixels