Geoffrey

#1246 Post by Geoffrey »

mavrothal wrote:
technosaurus wrote:you can pretty much always run jwm

Exit to console

Xorg & export DISPLAY=:0 && jwm -display :0
or
Xvesa -screen $WxHxBPP -nolisten tcp & export DISPLAY=:0 && jwm -display :0
Actually "xwin jwm" works fine and it sticks.
Thunar is the "problem"
On the XO-1 (433MHz/256RAM) when I want to "go fast" I use Saluki with JWM and Xfe and really makes a difference.
But Xfe is not really better/faster than Thunar, and why the extra baggage anyway?...
Wow, that must run slow, wouldn't wary be a better choice to run on it, I couldn't see it being very successful running Saluki.
I gave up trying to run it on my HP E-vectra 1 GHz/256 ram, I think an abacus would have been faster,
though I really can't see why anyone would want to reinstate the things that Saluki is trying to get away from.

ICPUG

#1247 Post by ICPUG »

Lobster wrote:
ICPUG wrote: I don't see any desktop drive icons???
Control panel
desktop
xfce desktop drive icons

or (this may suffice)
just click on the mount and unmount icon
first icon on task manager bottom right
Thank you Lobster. The Control Panel tip was the one that worked. I am still not used to the minimal desktop icons approach of Saluki!

Now that I have got the drive icons on the desktop I have an observation to make on how it performs.

On my laptop I have 3 partitions. A primary NTFS partition. An extended partition with 2 logical partitions within, one formatted NTFS partition and one formatted FAT32.

When I turn on the desktop drive icons all three partitions appear.

They all seem to open to Thunar OK.

When you close the Thunar view there appears to be no way to unmount the partition from the desktop icon. You still have to go to the tray tool.

The other problem is on reboot. (This is a frugal remember).

On reboot, only the icon for the primary partition shows. If I go back to the control panel and try and enable the desktop drive icons agan it tells me they are already enabled - which is what I would expect. The only way I can get to show all desktop drive icons again is to use the control panel to disable them and then use it again to enable them again.

Is this behaviour intentional or a bug?

Geoffrey

#1248 Post by Geoffrey »

Lobster wrote:
Have you tried dragging icons to the desktop folder?
What advantage does that hold smokey?

If using xwin jwm I would advise using rox from the PPM - Thunar is not ideal for JWM
If Jemimah intends to remove JWM entirely, then it would be good to know this intention? :)

Ah before I forget - another buglet to verify/fix . . .
If right clicking on an image I can load it into the defaulteditor (mtpaint)
but it does not open a defaultviewer if using that option
I would imagine that jwm would be removed, I can't see the sense in more than one window manager, especially when so much work as gone into the xfwm.

You can drag menu entries to the panel also, so you could make small launcher panel of your favorites.

I noticed that with the image viewer it was working fine then it got broken at some point, I failed to notice what may of caused it, if I run it in the terminal I get

Code: Select all

# ristretto
Segmentation fault

mavrothal

#1249 Post by mavrothal »

Geoffrey wrote: Wow, that must run slow, wouldn't wary be a better choice to run on it, I couldn't see it being very successful running Saluki.
I gave up trying to run it on my HP E-vectra 1 GHz/256 ram, I think an abacus would have been faster,
though I really can't see why anyone would want to reinstate the things that Saluki is trying to get away from.
Actually the XOs can run any puppy you want! Wary, Racy, Slacko, Luci, Luki, you name it.
This is exactly the point. Options.
JWM-Saluki is just another one. Why not? Specially when no "cost" is involved.

BTW Saluki-JWM runs faster that Wary or Racy on the XO-1. No ROX, you see :wink:
The same can also apply when you run heavy applications on a single-core netbook while you have XFCE for common tasks.

Again, to the extend that does not brake XFCE in anyway, why not?

PS: The XO-1 is not using an "ancient" CPU, just a low power one for embedded systems from AMD, still in production.
Actually I would think that more people use the XO-1 to run linux (~1.5 million) than all the puppy users ever!
Last edited by mavrothal on Fri 24 Feb 2012, 14:13, edited 3 times in total.

Sage

#1250 Post by Sage »

I think an abacus would have been faster
Hardly a Chinese secret any longer? An abacus will always be faster than any digital or electronic system!
Otherwise completely concur re. desktops. Angel knows exactly what she's doing.

jemimah

#1251 Post by jemimah »

New pets
nmap
wireshark
keepnote
gpicview
spotify client

New SFS
Google Chrome 12

Chrome 12 is the last version that works until Barry decides to do another t2 build.

jemimah

#1252 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
The "%F" option in desktop files that JWM does not understand and the categories could be mended by the user if needed, while adding few lines in _root_.jwmrc is really trivial.
The %F is needed for xfce. If you make an icon on the desktop, you want drag and dropping files on it to work.

jemimah

#1253 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:
Have you tried dragging icons to the desktop folder?
If using xwin jwm I would advise using rox from the PPM - Thunar is not ideal for JWM
If Jemimah intends to remove JWM entirely, then it would be good to know this intention? :)
Jwm stays as a fallback in case xfce gets messed up, you have a way to fix it.

jemimah

#1254 Post by jemimah »

Geoffrey wrote: I noticed that with the image viewer it was working fine then it got broken at some point, I failed to notice what may of caused it, if I run it in the terminal I get

# ristretto
Segmentation fault
I'll check it out.

jemimah

#1255 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote: JWM-Saluki is just another one. Why not? Specially when no "cost" is involved.
This is precisely the reasoning that gets you three calculators and a 1000 tiny useless apps.

Selecting a specific niche is what enables quality to happen.

mavrothal

#1256 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:
mavrothal wrote: JWM-Saluki is just another one. Why not? Specially when no "cost" is involved.
This is precisely the reasoning that gets you three calculators and a 1000 tiny useless apps.
Oh, come on. This is totally off.
JWM is there to begin with. All we are "discussing" is for thunar to play nice with JWM too as other thunar builds in the puppyland do. Either it can be done or it can not.
You can not posibly justify why two builtin apps should not work together.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#1257 Post by jemimah »

It should work fine. You just need to start xfdesktop, which I guess is what you are asking.

mavrothal

#1258 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:It should work fine. You just need to start xfdesktop, which I guess is what you are asking.
A picture is 1000 words. 2 pictures? :D
Attachments
Thunar_wary.jpg
Saluki, JWM with thunar wary pet
(31.39 KiB) Downloaded 625 times
Tunar_saluki.jpg
Saluki, JWM with original thunar
(29.21 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

#1259 Post by jemimah »

You need to set the icon them to gnome in your .gtkrc-2.0. I cannot do this by default because if I do, you won't be able to change your icons in xfce.

technosaurus

#1260 Post by technosaurus »

Just to clarify, I plan on modifying jwm_menu_create to strip out the % tags in only the jwmrc, not from the desktop files. Goingnuts has posted a static multicall binary of xinit, xvesa, jwm and rxvt that should be enough to get you back in operation even if your entire library dependencies chain gets broken. (all combined, the pet is ~only 1/2 a Mb)
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

mavrothal

#1261 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:You need to set the icon them to gnome in your .gtkrc-2.0. I cannot do this by default because if I do, you won't be able to change your icons in xfce.
Not so sure

# Thunar 
GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

# cat .gtkrc-2.0 
gtk-double-click-time = 500
gtk-theme-name="Raleigh"

jemimah

#1262 Post by jemimah »

gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome"

jemimah

#1263 Post by jemimah »

technosaurus wrote:Just to clarify, I plan on modifying jwm_menu_create to strip out the % tags in only the jwmrc, not from the desktop files. Goingnuts has posted a static multicall binary of xinit, xvesa, jwm and rxvt that should be enough to get you back in operation even if your entire library dependencies chain gets broken. (all combined, the pet is ~only 1/2 a Mb)
Good idea. Thanks!

mavrothal

#1264 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote:

gtk-icon-theme-name = "gnome"
Bummer. I had tried it with capitals :oops:
Thanks

Geoffrey

#1265 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:
Geoffrey wrote: I noticed that with the image viewer it was working fine then it got broken at some point, I failed to notice what may of caused it, if I run it in the terminal I get

# ristretto
Segmentation fault
I'll check it out.
Ristretto is working again today :? I'll keep an eye on it and see what I was doing at the time, if/when it breaks again.