Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
mikeslr

libgphoto & symlinks

#1171 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & all;

While installing some pets, ppm reported that libgphoto was missing. PPM located and installed it, but continued to report that it was missing. Downloading libgphoto from the repo and installing it from "local" reproduced the same results, even when PPM "Uninstall" shows it has been installed: in fact, lists it several times. Could it be a symlink or several are needed? Sorry, I don't recall what pet I originally installed which claimed it was missing since now every time I install something the system is apparently set to rescan for missing dependencies of all installed pets.

Speaking of symlinks, while I usually run firefox from /mnt/home (in order to conserve Save-Space) and utilize it from several Puppies, I haven't been able to do so since firefox 7. [When I try that, firefox starts but hangs]. But most of the space-saving benefit is actually accomplished by moving .mozilla out of / and symlinking it back. If Thunar is used to create a symlink, the file created is named "link-to-.mozilla". The "link-to-" part has to be manually deleted as firefox apparently only will use a file named ".mozilla" and so, not finding one, re-creates a file with that name. The problem does not occur if rox is used to create the symlink: drag & drop, select "link relative." Is there any way to alter Thunar's naming behavior? Personally, I prefer rox, but I know that others might want to operate using only Thunar.

mikesLr

Geoffrey

Re: libgphoto & symlinks

#1172 Post by Geoffrey »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah & all;

While installing some pets, ppm reported that libgphoto was missing. PPM located and installed it, but continued to report that it was missing. Downloading libgphoto from the repo and installing it from "local" reproduced the same results, even when PPM "Uninstall" shows it has been installed: in fact, lists it several times. Could it be a symlink or several are needed? Sorry, I don't recall what pet I originally installed which claimed it was missing since now every time I install something the system is apparently set to rescan for missing dependencies of all installed pets.

Speaking of symlinks, while I usually run firefox from /mnt/home (in order to conserve Save-Space) and utilize it from several Puppies, I haven't been able to do so since firefox 7. [When I try that, firefox starts but hangs]. But most of the space-saving benefit is actually accomplished by moving .mozilla out of / and symlinking it back. If Thunar is used to create a symlink, the file created is named "link-to-.mozilla". The "link-to-" part has to be manually deleted as firefox apparently only will use a file named ".mozilla" and so, not finding one, re-creates a file with that name. The problem does not occur if rox is used to create the symlink: drag & drop, select "link relative." Is there any way to alter Thunar's naming behavior? Personally, I prefer rox, but I know that others might want to operate using only Thunar.

mikesLr
I just tried putting .mozilla in the /mnt/home directory, the way I did it was to copy and paste, it gave an error about system link,

I clicked yes to all and it copied the .mozilla, I checked the dir for size with rightclick Howbig and compared it with then original, all was good,

then deleted the original and right mouse button dragged .mozilla from /mnt/home dir to /root and selected link here and it created a system link in /root, it appears to be working fine.

Edit, I just tried the same with the firefox dir, that seems to work also.

with the "link-to-", that's used to create a link to a file in the same directory, such as in /usr/lib.

mavrothal

Desktop drive icons

#1173 Post by mavrothal »

Jemimah made a reasonable case against having all mounted and unmounted drive icons on the Desktop (as traditionally puppy does) and also a case against thunar-volman (because of its HAL dependency).
For those not convinced and inspired by deepsea's work, here is a pet that will recapitulate the traditional puppy behavior, eg will show all drives, mount them and/or open thunar on click and unmount them if the unmount area of the icon (x) is clicked.

Restart X or reboot after you install for the changes to take effect

One "problem" is has is that is shows devices with their device name and not their label name. This results in tmount "thinking" that the device is not mounted and show it also as unmounted. e.g. it shows for example both "/mnt/sdb1 -> /mnt/sdb1" mounted and "/mnt/sdb1 -> /mnt/sdb1_label" unmounted. But no harm done and can unmount them OK (but not mount it in another point of course). At this point however tmount should not get a lot of use :wink: .

BTW, I thought that the XFCE desktop grid cell size is 2.5x the icon-size. However in Saluki appears to be 100 pixels. Is that a configuration option?

Edit: version 0.4 will work in big screens too (tested on 1920 X 1200).
v0.3 had a problem if the icons where on the far right or bottom of a high resolution screen
Attachments
luki_deskdriveicons-0.4.pet
Puts drive icons on the desktop that can be mounted, unmounted or opened by (double-) clicking. v0.4 also works with high resolution screens
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 17:03, edited 3 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

antiloquax

#1174 Post by antiloquax »

Hi,
I am now running Saluki on my rather old Toshiba laptop. Seems to work like a dream. I'm planning to start over with my idea for a Puppy that gives users a quick way to start learning programming. I'm thinking that making some sfs packages for Saluki may be the best way to do this.

mark
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

nooby

#1175 Post by nooby »

Test of luki latest iso on Acer D255 Atom N450 double core?

Yes works but I am not used to the way it is set up.
But apart from my naive comments do go for it.
Last edited by nooby on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Eathray

#1176 Post by Eathray »

Jemimah,

Something curious happened on install (Saluki 0.1.1). The flash installer launched when I connected to my network, but installed the flash plugin for Mac instead of Linux... That was odd.

No biggie. I downloaded the tar for Linux and replaced the pertinent files, but thought you would want to know. I've never seen the installer pick the wrong plug-in before. Cosmic quirk?

Eathray

jemimah

Re: libgphoto & symlinks

#1177 Post by jemimah »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah & all;

mikesLr
When dependencies are specified the name has to exactly match what's in the package list. The name should be libghoto2 so if it says libgphoto, that might be the issue. What pet is it?

jemimah

Re: Desktop drive icons

#1178 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:Jemimah made a reasonable case against having all mounted and unmounted drive icons on the Desktop (as traditionally puppy does) and also a case against thunar-volman (because of its HAL dependency).
For those not convinced and inspired by deepsea's work, here is a pet that will recapitulate the traditional puppy behavior, eg will show all drives, mount them and/or open thunar on click and unmount them if the unmount area of the icon (x) is clicked.

Restart X or reboot after you install for the changes to take effect

One "problem" is has is that is shows devices with their device name and not their label name. This results in tmount "thinking" that the device is not mounted and show it also as unmounted. e.g. it shows for example both "/mnt/sdb1 -> /mnt/sdb1" mounted and "/mnt/sdb1 -> /mnt/sdb1_label" unmounted. But no harm done and can unmount them OK (but not mount it in another point of course). At this point however tmount should not get a lot of use :wink: .

BTW, I thought that the XFCE desktop grid cell size is 2.5x the icon-size. However in Saluki appears to be 100 pixels. Is that a configuration option?

Edit: version 0.4 will work in big screens too (tested on 1920 X 1200).
v0.3 had a problem if the icons where on the far right or bottom of a high resolution screen
The close box thing makes this a good deal more palatable for me (although double clicking makes this a bit weird). I'll fix it up and add it as an option to the next release.

jemimah

#1179 Post by jemimah »

Eathray wrote:Jemimah,

Something curious happened on install (Saluki 0.1.1). The flash installer launched when I connected to my network, but installed the flash plugin for Mac instead of Linux... That was odd.

No biggie. I downloaded the tar for Linux and replaced the pertinent files, but thought you would want to know. I've never seen the installer pick the wrong plug-in before. Cosmic quirk?

Eathray
That is odd. I'd understand if you used Midori to download it, since I have it masquerading as Safari. But I have no idea why the flash downloader would do that.

einar

#1180 Post by einar »

jemimah wrote:I've uploaded an sfs for Xbmc (35MB - needs python installed first).

Also there is a new pet for Pitivi - another python video editor.
Thanks a bunch for taking time and prob. expensive bandwith for making a XBMC.sfs.

That said i can not make it play video files. i have now tested it on my main saluki machine a HP HDX9050 with the ati drivers installed. the program runs like a charm and music / pictures work. only it will not play video files. I tested Saluki and XBMC on my gaming machine a asus g73 and wow saluki was just wow. but there on a i7 the xbmc just stutterd and didnt work properly.

and for last the default image viewer ristretto does not work on any machine i have tested saluki on :)

thanks alot for Saluki i like where this is going

einar

Re: saluki sweet

#1181 Post by einar »

jemimah wrote:
einar wrote:have now tested saluki 11 on my acer aspire one. it will be the main system for that machine :) i was wondering what happend to glxgears ?
Try:

Code: Select all

vblank_mode=0 glxgears
this worked, thanks :)

jemimah

#1182 Post by jemimah »

einar wrote:
jemimah wrote:I've uploaded an sfs for Xbmc (35MB - needs python installed first).

Also there is a new pet for Pitivi - another python video editor.
Thanks a bunch for taking time and prob. expensive bandwith for making a XBMC.sfs.

That said i can not make it play video files. i have now tested it on my main saluki machine a HP HDX9050 with the ati drivers installed. the program runs like a charm and music / pictures work. only it will not play video files. I tested Saluki and XBMC on my gaming machine a asus g73 and wow saluki was just wow. but there on a i7 the xbmc just stutterd and didnt work properly.

and for last the default image viewer ristretto does not work on any machine i have tested saluki on :)

thanks alot for Saluki i like where this is going
I see the problem with video playback. I'll try to fix it and upload again later.

jemimah

#1183 Post by jemimah »

I uploaded a new build of xbmc. Let me know if it works.

mavrothal

#1184 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote: The close box thing makes this a good deal more palatable for me (although double clicking makes this a bit weird). I'll fix it up and add it as an option to the next release.
That's nice.

One thing I would do is export a flag from pup_event_frontend_d to /tmp ( where you have added the notify line - BTW pup_event_frontend_d.orig in included in 011 ;) ), and have the xfce4_desktop_icons loop run only if this flag is present.
No need to run probdisk and probpart all the time since pup_event_frontend_d is doing it already.
Also add a flag generated by xfce4_desktop_icons itself for its first run after boot.

Ideally most of the needed files should be generated by pup_event_frontend_d directly but that's probably too many changes in it.
Anyway, I'll probably try a version 0.5 later today if you (or anybody else) does not by then.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Geoffrey

#1185 Post by Geoffrey »

jemimah wrote:I uploaded a new build of xbmc. Let me know if it works.
With this one I had the problem of no sound but installed it to a new save then installed the nvidia drivers and all was good, though it won't run the plugins, just pops up an error script failed, the previous version the plugin ran but wouldn't play the video, the gmail plugin worked fine,
the plugin I ran was for Australian ABC TV iview, I know it works as I have it on my Xbox XBMC, it also works with Boxee, XBMC is full of bugs, such as the weather not working with weather.com, the log shows " ERROR: WEATHER: Unable to get data: Invalid License Key",
don't worry I know the joy of trying to get XBMC to play the game, I've been using it for the past six years on my Xbox and it still gives me grief. :?

Oh, the video and sound works fine now for local content.

nooby

#1186 Post by nooby »

Google saved me from having no clue on what XBMC is all about.
http://xbmc.org/about/
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Jim1911

#1187 Post by Jim1911 »

Looks promising, however it breaks the mouse pointer (Logitech wireless mouse) so I can't run it properly.

Saluki 011 is working great on my desktop computer described below.

Thanks,
Jim

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One

Sage

#1188 Post by Sage »

Still got endless problems with FlashPlayer.

Any chance of having Legacy Grub, please?

jemimah

#1189 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:
jemimah wrote: The close box thing makes this a good deal more palatable for me (although double clicking makes this a bit weird). I'll fix it up and add it as an option to the next release.
That's nice.

One thing I would do is export a flag from pup_event_frontend_d to /tmp ( where you have added the notify line - BTW pup_event_frontend_d.orig in included in 011 ;) ), and have the xfce4_desktop_icons loop run only if this flag is present.
No need to run probdisk and probpart all the time since pup_event_frontend_d is doing it already.
Also add a flag generated by xfce4_desktop_icons itself for its first run after boot.

Ideally most of the needed files should be generated by pup_event_frontend_d directly but that's probably too many changes in it.
Anyway, I'll probably try a version 0.5 later today if you (or anybody else) does not by then.
I'm actually merging the code right into pup_event_frontdend_d.

mavrothal

#1190 Post by mavrothal »

jemimah wrote: I'm actually merging the code right into pup_event_frontdend_d.
Ah, good. Then I will not upload v0.5.

One thing that may need a second look is the handling of the optical disks. Mounting unmounting and ejecting.

Also I believe that in xcfe_drive_all

Code: Select all

xcloseleft=$(($xleft + 58)) 
    xcloseright=$(($xleft + 73))
is more accurate than the original +60, + 75