Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#1156 Post by jemimah »

There is a bug in the ppm that makes it want to install the packages shown in the screenshot. These should not be installed.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next release.
jim3630 wrote:jemimah

tried install sdl-ball from ppm. too much bad ju ju from prior sdl pets, ppm had 7mb or so for the install.

fresh pfix=ram of 011 as earlier. dl flash, then ppm sdl-ball this time only needed 4 packages but get error

# sdl-ball
sdl-ball: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

looks like a symlink but i don't know how to do it.

also after install ff 9.0.1 pet gave a missing dep of "sdl-ball." go figure ff works without issue anyway.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(79.96 KiB) Downloaded 1437 times

jim3630

#1157 Post by jim3630 »

scabz wrote:
sdl-ball: error while loading shared libraries: libSDL-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

looks like a symlink but i don't know how to do it.
go to /usr/lib/

look for libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4
then create a system link to that file and rename the link libSDL-1.2.so.0

edit - i looked in my install and the link is already there
scabz

didn't find libSDL-1.2.so.0.11.4 in /usr/lib.

have libSDL_image-1.2.so.0 that is linked to libSDL-1.2.so.0.8.4.

i installed sdl-ball before save file was created. thought might correct itself after making the save file and reboot but it did not.

open to ideas here. thanks for the leads.

einar

saluki sweet

#1158 Post by einar »

have now tested saluki 11 on my acer aspire one. it will be the main system for that machine :) i was wondering what happend to glxgears ?

and is there a way to change the font in firefox to a normal one ? it looks small and bold like

jim3630

Re: saluki sweet

#1159 Post by jim3630 »

einar wrote:have now tested saluki 11 on my acer aspire one. it will be the main system for that machine :) i was wondering what happend to glxgears ?

and is there a way to change the font in firefox to a normal one ? it looks small and bold like
in ff edit>preferences>content

Billtoo

Saluki

#1160 Post by Billtoo »

I updated firefox to version 10.0.2 and seamonkey to version 2.7.2, they are available here:

http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/

jim3630

Re: Saluki

#1161 Post by jim3630 »

Billtoo wrote:I updated firefox to version 10.0.2 and seamonkey to version 2.7.2, they are available here:

http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/
been some time since looked in repo.

wow lots of new pets!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1162 Post by Lobster »

If you feel you should be added to testers or compilers or know anyone who we should add here or use the comments section (which I have opened up for non registered users - until spammed)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki

Any help editing this page appreciated.
Any obvious mistakes? 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

deepsea

#1163 Post by deepsea »

Hi jemimah

Saluki with XFCE great :roll:

During testing some issues with
wireless (IntelProWireless 2200BG)
and Auto DHCP
(default route not set or DNS not set )

I add some .mo files for language de
and pimped up the desktop
with a extra theme and auto icons for drives.

Don't forget to restart X after pet install :!:
Attachments
pimp_Screenshot.png
(32.18 KiB) Downloaded 988 times
pimp_luki_desktop.pet
pimp_saluki_desktop
(187.28 KiB) Downloaded 215 times

Aitch

#1164 Post by Aitch »

deepsea wrote:During testing some issues with
wireless (IntelProWireless 2200BG)
and Auto DHCP
(default route not set or DNS not set )
Jemimah

please note this thread, as deepsea is far from being alone

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76066

see also http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76030

Maybe you and dougal can nail this problem for good!

thanks

Aitch :)

mikeslr

Extract into Adrive?

#1165 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & all,

As I am a creature of habit, there are applications I always use --look for and install if necessary-- and others I never (or rarely) use. Your development of the adrive concept fits neatly into my system. Your instructions, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 738#601738 begin with:
"1. Create a directory and extract all the desired pets inside it like so" (Emphasis added). Did you really mean "extract"?
I am currently in Lupu, which employs rox, but expect Saluki with thunar to be similar. By "extract" I understand you to mean (after downloading or copying the .pet), "unpack/decompress" it: the simplest being, right click and select "extract here," then (optionally?) delete the pet file. As so understood, "extracting" itself involves 2 or 3 (if deletion of pets is required) manual steps, multiplied by the number of pets (and sfses?) to be included in the adrive.
I'm not complaining. Certainly after creating the first adrive if the build directory were retained updating and modification would be less time consuming than having to install the desired pets individually each time a new Saluki was to be installed. I just wondered if there were a way to automate the process? See, for example, Mu's SFS-Combiner, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 203#172203 and Trio's pets2sfsgui, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 168#500168.
Or, have I read too much into the word "extract"? Did you use it in the sense, "place"? Or does the "ls" command --which I thought only meant list (and if so, to files at what location(s)?-- do that. Sorry if I'm being dense. Just trying to figure out the logic of adrive builder so that I use it correctly.

mikesLr
Last edited by mikeslr on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 17:39, edited 1 time in total.

mavrothal

#1166 Post by mavrothal »

deepsea wrote:and auto icons for drives.
Nice :D

This little patch allows SDcards to be shown properly (usually in /dev/mmcblkNpN)

Code: Select all

--- a/root/Startup/xfce4_desktop_icons	2011-10-24 23:16:10.000000000 +0300
+++ b/root/Startup/xfce4_desktop_icons	2012-02-18 19:28:21.900000084 +0200
@@ -42,7 +42,11 @@
   PARTDRVNAME="`echo -n "$EACHPARTINFO" | cut -f 3 -d '/' | cut -f 1 -d '|'`"
   PARTDRVFILETYPE="`echo -n "$EACHPARTINFO" | cut -f 3 -d '/' | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"
   PARTDRVSIZE="`echo -n "$EACHPARTINFO" | cut -f 3 -d '/' | cut -f 3 -d '|'`"
-  PARTNAME="`echo -n "$PARTDRVNAME" | cut -c 1-3`"
+  if [ "`echo -n "$PARTDRVNAME"| cut -c 6-8`" = "" ]; then 
+	PARTNAME="`echo -n "$PARTDRVNAME"| cut -c 1-3`"
+  else
+	PARTNAME="`echo -n "$PARTDRVNAME"| cut -c 1-7`"
+  fi
   PARTDRVTYPE="`cat /tmp/all_drives.lst | grep "$PARTNAME" | cut -f 3 -d '/' | cut -f 2 -d '|'`"

if [ "`cat /tmp/desktop_drives.lst | grep "drive_$PARTDRVNAME" `" = "" ];then 
Last edited by mavrothal on Sat 18 Feb 2012, 20:15, edited 2 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

jemimah

Re: saluki sweet

#1167 Post by jemimah »

einar wrote:have now tested saluki 11 on my acer aspire one. it will be the main system for that machine :) i was wondering what happend to glxgears ?
Try:

vblank_mode=0 glxgears

jemimah

Re: Extract into Adrive?

#1168 Post by jemimah »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah & all,

As I am a creature of habit, there are applications I always use --look for and install if necessary-- and others I never (or rarely) use. Your development of the adrive concept fits neatly into my system. Your instructions, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 738#601738 begin with:
"1. Create a directory and extract all the desired pets inside it like so" (Emphasis added). Did you really mean "extract"?
I am currently in Lupu, which employs rox, but expect Saluki with thunar to be similar. By "extract" I understand you to mean (after downloading or copying the .pet), "unpack/decompress" it: the simplest being, right click and select "extract here," then (optionally?) delete the pet file. As so understood, "extracting" itself involves 2 or 3 (if deletion of pets is required) manual steps, multiplied by the number of pets (and sfses?) to be included in the adrive.
I'm not complaining. Certainly after creating the first adrive if the build directory were retained updating and modification would be less time consuming than having to install the desired pets individually each time a new Saluki was to be installed. I just wondered if there were a way to automate the process? See, for example, Mu's SFS-Combiner, http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 203#172203 and Trio's pets2sfsgui, http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 168#500168.
Or, have I read too much into the word "extract"? Did you use it in the sense, "place"? Or does the "ls" command --which I thought only meant list (and if so, to files at what location(s)?-- do that. Sorry if I'm being dense. Just trying to figure out the logic of adrive builder so that I use it correctly.

mikesLr
Extracting is quicker from the command line.

for i in `ls *pet` ; do
  tar xivf $i
done
There will be a more convenient adrive builder GUI when I get around to coding it.

jemimah

#1169 Post by jemimah »

I've uploaded an sfs for Xbmc (35MB - needs python installed first).

Also there is a new pet for Pitivi - another python video editor.

Marv

Saluki wireless

#1170 Post by Marv »

This may or may not be of any use but the following hardware configurations connect and reconnect rock solidly under either Dougals wizard or Frisbee. Currently using Saluki 011 and Frisbee as daily drivers. Only glitch ever since about 006 was after a save file update and after reconnecting with Dougal once both have worked.

Router: Actiontec 704GL, DHCP server enabled, WEP, MAC address authentification enabled

system 1: Dell D610 , Intel PRO/Wireless 2915ABG [Calexico2]
system 2: Fujitsu S6210, Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG [Calexico2]

The default in the Boxpup/Saluki dual boots now points to Saluki. That is high praise indeed from this old dog.
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

mikeslr

libgphoto & symlinks

#1171 Post by mikeslr »

Hi jemimah & all;

While installing some pets, ppm reported that libgphoto was missing. PPM located and installed it, but continued to report that it was missing. Downloading libgphoto from the repo and installing it from "local" reproduced the same results, even when PPM "Uninstall" shows it has been installed: in fact, lists it several times. Could it be a symlink or several are needed? Sorry, I don't recall what pet I originally installed which claimed it was missing since now every time I install something the system is apparently set to rescan for missing dependencies of all installed pets.

Speaking of symlinks, while I usually run firefox from /mnt/home (in order to conserve Save-Space) and utilize it from several Puppies, I haven't been able to do so since firefox 7. [When I try that, firefox starts but hangs]. But most of the space-saving benefit is actually accomplished by moving .mozilla out of / and symlinking it back. If Thunar is used to create a symlink, the file created is named "link-to-.mozilla". The "link-to-" part has to be manually deleted as firefox apparently only will use a file named ".mozilla" and so, not finding one, re-creates a file with that name. The problem does not occur if rox is used to create the symlink: drag & drop, select "link relative." Is there any way to alter Thunar's naming behavior? Personally, I prefer rox, but I know that others might want to operate using only Thunar.

mikesLr

Geoffrey

Re: libgphoto & symlinks

#1172 Post by Geoffrey »

mikeslr wrote:Hi jemimah & all;

While installing some pets, ppm reported that libgphoto was missing. PPM located and installed it, but continued to report that it was missing. Downloading libgphoto from the repo and installing it from "local" reproduced the same results, even when PPM "Uninstall" shows it has been installed: in fact, lists it several times. Could it be a symlink or several are needed? Sorry, I don't recall what pet I originally installed which claimed it was missing since now every time I install something the system is apparently set to rescan for missing dependencies of all installed pets.

Speaking of symlinks, while I usually run firefox from /mnt/home (in order to conserve Save-Space) and utilize it from several Puppies, I haven't been able to do so since firefox 7. [When I try that, firefox starts but hangs]. But most of the space-saving benefit is actually accomplished by moving .mozilla out of / and symlinking it back. If Thunar is used to create a symlink, the file created is named "link-to-.mozilla". The "link-to-" part has to be manually deleted as firefox apparently only will use a file named ".mozilla" and so, not finding one, re-creates a file with that name. The problem does not occur if rox is used to create the symlink: drag & drop, select "link relative." Is there any way to alter Thunar's naming behavior? Personally, I prefer rox, but I know that others might want to operate using only Thunar.

mikesLr
I just tried putting .mozilla in the /mnt/home directory, the way I did it was to copy and paste, it gave an error about system link,

I clicked yes to all and it copied the .mozilla, I checked the dir for size with rightclick Howbig and compared it with then original, all was good,

then deleted the original and right mouse button dragged .mozilla from /mnt/home dir to /root and selected link here and it created a system link in /root, it appears to be working fine.

Edit, I just tried the same with the firefox dir, that seems to work also.

with the "link-to-", that's used to create a link to a file in the same directory, such as in /usr/lib.

mavrothal

Desktop drive icons

#1173 Post by mavrothal »

Jemimah made a reasonable case against having all mounted and unmounted drive icons on the Desktop (as traditionally puppy does) and also a case against thunar-volman (because of its HAL dependency).
For those not convinced and inspired by deepsea's work, here is a pet that will recapitulate the traditional puppy behavior, eg will show all drives, mount them and/or open thunar on click and unmount them if the unmount area of the icon (x) is clicked.

Restart X or reboot after you install for the changes to take effect

One "problem" is has is that is shows devices with their device name and not their label name. This results in tmount "thinking" that the device is not mounted and show it also as unmounted. e.g. it shows for example both "/mnt/sdb1 -> /mnt/sdb1" mounted and "/mnt/sdb1 -> /mnt/sdb1_label" unmounted. But no harm done and can unmount them OK (but not mount it in another point of course). At this point however tmount should not get a lot of use :wink: .

BTW, I thought that the XFCE desktop grid cell size is 2.5x the icon-size. However in Saluki appears to be 100 pixels. Is that a configuration option?

Edit: version 0.4 will work in big screens too (tested on 1920 X 1200).
v0.3 had a problem if the icons where on the far right or bottom of a high resolution screen
Attachments
luki_deskdriveicons-0.4.pet
Puts drive icons on the desktop that can be mounted, unmounted or opened by (double-) clicking. v0.4 also works with high resolution screens
(5.16 KiB) Downloaded 252 times
Last edited by mavrothal on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 17:03, edited 3 times in total.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

antiloquax

#1174 Post by antiloquax »

Hi,
I am now running Saluki on my rather old Toshiba laptop. Seems to work like a dream. I'm planning to start over with my idea for a Puppy that gives users a quick way to start learning programming. I'm thinking that making some sfs packages for Saluki may be the best way to do this.

mark
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

nooby

#1175 Post by nooby »

Test of luki latest iso on Acer D255 Atom N450 double core?

Yes works but I am not used to the way it is set up.
But apart from my naive comments do go for it.
Last edited by nooby on Sun 19 Feb 2012, 16:50, edited 1 time in total.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though