Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 16 Apr 2014, 12:34
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Saluki
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 75 of 250 [3740 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2012, 19:46    Post subject:  

jemimah wrote:
New SFS files:
goo... ... ...bird

New pets:
file... ... ...vpn
Is there any chance of a current jre which survives over a reboot of a multi-session Live media? (I think all understand the need) A PET would be the preference.

Also, check PM

Thanks in advance

Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2012, 21:05    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
jemimah wrote:
New SFS files:
goo... ... ...bird

New pets:
file... ... ...vpn
Is there any chance of a current jre which survives over a reboot of a multi-session Live media? (I think all understand the need) A PET would be the preference.

Thanks in advance

The jre-1.6u30-i586.sfs is compatible with the LibreOffice3.4.5.sfs, I've tried jre-1.7u2-i586.sfs and it doesn't work with it, it might be just as easy to convert the jre-1.6u30-i586.sfs into a PET.

I just tried SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet from Here, seems to work ok, I installed xaralx-1785.sfs and uninstalled it with the package manager.

I did notice that it leaves empty directories when uninstalling, it must not be making a proper pet package so install only if making a remaster should be ok.

It might be easier to just extract the sfs and use dir2pet.
futwerk

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2012, 22:15    Post subject:  

Even saluki will be enjoying St-Valentine's day. Happy Valentine everyone.
pupfb13,3z.png
 Description   http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
 Filesize   66.9 KB
 Viewed   825 Time(s)

pupfb13,3z.png

pupfb13,3.png
 Description   http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
 Filesize   64.74 KB
 Viewed   843 Time(s)

pupfb13,3.png

scsijon

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2012, 22:41    Post subject:  

Geoffrey wrote:

I did notice that it leaves empty directories when uninstalling, it must not be making a proper pet package so install only if making a remaster should be ok.

This is happening in a number of cases lately, not just Saluki and not just with sfs's, so I did a bit of testing and searching.

With pet's, i've found it most prevalent when installing but not using the ppm to install with, and then uninstalling with the ppm. I was wondering if it was because 'something' was in use by a process until restart/reboot, i've even found local temp directories (not /tmp/xxxx) have been left behind. Plus quite a few times the menu icons are also still there.

With sfs's, so far it seems to always be process related, some directories are gone, but directories related and down to a process's start file are still there. Maybe there needs to be a cleanup script to run after restart added to sort the problem out.

regards
scsijon
ps, notice that the glade Interface designer icon is missing in the dev sfs, Laughing everyone seems to be doing it!
jpeps

PostPosted: Mon 13 Feb 2012, 23:01    Post subject:  

[quote="scsijon"]
Geoffrey wrote:

This is happening in a number of cases lately, not just Saluki and not just with sfs's, so I did a bit of testing and searching.

The uninstaller leaves a lot, including open directories. If concerned, it's simple to write your own uninstaller. Mine checks for open directories and prompts me prior to removing. I guess it tends to be ultra conservative about removing anything, which might be wise for public use.
scsijon

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 02:04    Post subject: Eudora  

Sage wrote:
Anyone for Eudora?!
Just for kicks tried to install a FULL onto a regular IDE HD mounted in a (trans)portable USB box. Removed drive and tried to boot from a regualr setup (initially because most older boards cannot do an USB boot). It sort of worked, files, etc, even started to boot with some strange messages but eventually KP. Didn't expect anything better, but adds to the Dept of Useless Info.

If you want it, i'll build it, however if your using Firefox past version 4, it will fail to send anything as, by default, it hasn't been designed to work with the later mozilla and thunderbird libs.

bty, Eudora OSE 1.0 was the last as far as Qualcomm was concerned, and is really only a Thunderbird front end with a few tweeks. It was announced back in 2006!

Any later updating is just Thunderbird updates, however by doing so you can loose special features like the old "Transfer" menu, which worked because of a mozilla problem that was fixed with ff5.

Recomendation is to use Thunderbird, even from the Eudora group or go back to Eudora7 (pre-oss)!

If there is enough yells, i'll have a go at 'melding' it to Thunderbird 9.0.1, but it won't be this month as i'll have to find and un-archive it all, then work out what to interface to what. You will have to install both packages.

regards
scsijon
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 03:41    Post subject:  

Quote:
If you want it

Indeed. Gone right off Mozzy Corp. They didn't deserve the free gift of Eudora. Never used Tbird, always gave me grief. As for FF, still haven't found the correct settings to get Distrowatch. Already told why I hate SM from Moz. Can't trust this behemoth. Even BK noticed their duplicity. Shame, bearing in mind their gestation from Netscape. Eudora 7 was for 'doze and was uttery reliable, flexible, etc. but no plans to go back there! So, I'll go with angel's Midori & Claws. If anyone is kind enough to do a Saluki Eudora OSE 1.0, that'd be welcome for the front end alone. Only the Webster's rankles then.
ggg

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 04:50    Post subject:  

place holder
einar

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 05:17    Post subject: Hints and tips  

Thanks to Billtoo i got my ATi drivers to work Smile And this got me thinking, would it not be nice to have a document with all the tips & tricks from this thread ? It is now 75 pages long and i found out how to install ATi drivers from Billtoo on page 60. It does not have to be a full FAQ just a text document with how to install ATi / Nvidia drivers, make a SFS into a .pet, how to comile a .tar etc. I and i think other noobs would love that Smile

Best regards

Einar
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 06:05    Post subject:  

Quote:
i think other noobs would love that

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SalukiTips

einar

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 06:09    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:
Quote:
i think other noobs would love that

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SalukiTips

nice one but dont forget the kernel source that i did Smile check the updated post from Billtoo Smile
Lobster
Official Crustacean

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 06:54    Post subject:  

Let me know when a pet is available. For now I have created a link on the tips page. I Just do not have the patience to follow this procedure . . . [I am a quiche eating noob at heart]

einar

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 06:58    Post subject:  

Lobster wrote:

Let me know when a pet is available. For now I have created a link on the tips page. I Just do not have the patience to follow this procedure . . . [I am a quiche eating noob at heart]

the kernel source is here : http://smokey01.com/pemasu/Saluki/kernel_src-2.6.39-ski-4-patched.sfs

and by the way on http://puppylinux.org/wikka/Saluki the extra pet button links to the old saluki pet place. the new one is: http://www.smokey01.com/saluki/pet_packages-saluki/
shelezyaka

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 10:14    Post subject:  

There is a problem.
We have chip-adapter PCI -> PCIMCIA name Ricoh RL5c475.For it's working we need core module "yenta_socket.ko"
wich is absent in standart destribution.Whese can we get it and how can we makeit to work.
I checed Saluki-011 and 009.Add in please in future destribution.3G modem inserted in PCIMCIA slot is not working.
jemimah

PostPosted: Tue 14 Feb 2012, 12:03    Post subject:  

futwerk wrote:
Even saluki will be enjoying St-Valentine's day. Happy Valentine everyone.

Awesome! Thanks.
Page 75 of 250 [3740 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, ..., 248, 249, 250 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Jump to: