Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jemimah

#1096 Post by jemimah »

I've managed to get Clementine to build. It is now available in the PPM - 11MB, mostly static.

cthisbear

#1097 Post by cthisbear »

Dell Studio XPS1340

Still no wireless connection....>> b43.

Can see lights flicker on the router....so it's getting there.

Can't seem to unload drivers...to try alternative connection methods.

The full network manager is back ...Thanks.

Is there a Rox pet? Sorry Some things I need to use with Rox
for data recovery...>> Windows drives.

Chris.

jemimah

#1098 Post by jemimah »

Check the ppm for rox.

----

I've uploaded a blender sfs (37MB).

Tman

#1099 Post by Tman »

jemimah wrote: I don't think there's a recent binary version of chromium that will run on racy/wary and they make it so difficult to compile that I won't even attempt it.
Iron has a linux version that I've been testing in Exprimo. (no compiling neccessary). It gives error messages in the terminal but still runs okay (so far).

Apparently the newer Chromium-type browsers need Glibc-2.11.
I have no idea what it takes to update to that version...I imagine a lot of compiling. There is a deb for it somewhere at debian.org, but me-thinks that installing the .deb file is not the proper way to do it.

EDIT: I was curious and did some googling on Glibc and came across this webpage.
I am not very familiar with backend stuff, so I am not sure if this is the method needed to update glibc in Puppy Linux.

ttuuxxx

#1100 Post by ttuuxxx »

Tman wrote:
jemimah wrote: I don't think there's a recent binary version of chromium that will run on racy/wary and they make it so difficult to compile that I won't even attempt it.
Iron has a linux version that I've been testing in Exprimo. (no compiling neccessary). It gives error messages in the terminal but still runs okay (so far).

Apparently the newer Chromium-type browsers need Glibc-2.11.
I have no idea what it takes to update to that version...I imagine a lot of compiling. There is a deb for it somewhere at debian.org, but me-thinks that installing the .deb file is not the proper way to do it.

EDIT: I was curious and did some googling on Glibc and came across this webpage.
I am not very familiar with backend stuff, so I am not sure if this is the method needed to update glibc in Puppy Linux.
I think I'm the only one on puppy that successively updated glibc actually I did it twice on 2.14X, the way I did it was I made system-links to the older version numbers of all the libs and updated the devx.
It was actually pretty easy. once you updated it then just build the sfs and make a iso :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)

jemimah

#1101 Post by jemimah »

I've done it and also I think sc0ttman has done it. I'm not sure I want to do it for saluki though. I'm trying to keep things clean.

jemimah

#1102 Post by jemimah »

New SFS files:
google earth
kompozer

New pets:
filezilla
xvidcap
moon-lander
redshift
zaxxon
python
fotowall
vpnc
openvpn

einar

#1103 Post by einar »

jemimah wrote:New SFS files:
google earth
kompozer

New pets:
filezilla
xvidcap
moon-lander
redshift
zaxxon
python
fotowall
vpnc
openvpn

wow are keeping busy

Thanks for Clementine ;)

einar

driver problems

#1104 Post by einar »

Billtoo wrote:
Lobster wrote: - I need the ATI crystal graphic driver . . . [hint to our compilers]

Install the devx and kernel source sfs.
Go to http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx
Download the driver for your card.
Open the terminal and run the amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run
driver:
sh amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run

When it is finished do the command:
aticonfig --initial

Exit the terminal and reboot.

It even worked on my imac :)

ive done all the above but i dont get the ati driver to work.
The installer from ATI starts ( the grafik UI ) It seams to install
fine. but after reboot all windows are "jagging/ stuttering" when moved. and there is no Ati control panel. I guess the driver did not load and some
default Vesa driver is active. what did i do wrong ? and how can i correct it / go back to the last good drivers.

i have with done this before with slacko puppy and i know this works with .pet packages to LHP64 and 528 lucid puppy. the PC is a HP Dragon HDX9050 with a Radeon HD2600. its my main Saluki machine :)

And oh this is a furgal install

thanks for all help

Einar
Last edited by einar on Mon 13 Feb 2012, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#1105 Post by Sage »

Anyone for Eudora?!
Just for kicks tried to install a FULL onto a regular IDE HD mounted in a (trans)portable USB box. Removed drive and tried to boot from a regualr setup (initially because most older boards cannot do an USB boot). It sort of worked, files, etc, even started to boot with some strange messages but eventually KP. Didn't expect anything better, but adds to the Dept of Useless Info.

Billtoo

Re: driver problems

#1106 Post by Billtoo »

einar wrote:
fine. but after reboot all windows are "jagging/ stuttering" when moved. and there is no Ati control panel. I guess the driver did not load and some
default Vesa driver is active. what did i do wrong ? and how can i correct it / go back to the last good drivers.

i have with done this before with slacko puppy and i know this works with .pet packages to LHP64 and 528 lucid puppy. the PC is a HP Dragon HDX9050 with a Radeon HD2600. its my main Saluki machine :)

thanks for all help

Einar
Run SFS-load on-the-fly and make sure both the devx and kernel source
sfs files are loaded, (see screenshot)
If they are loaded quit SFS-load on-the-fly and open the terminal.
Try installing the proprietary driver again with the command:

sh amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --force

When the driver is finished installing enter the command:

aticonfig --initial

Then exit the terminal and reboot.
Attachments
Screenshot-2.jpg
(82.88 KiB) Downloaded 1106 times
Screenshot-3.jpg
(14.75 KiB) Downloaded 1150 times

einar

Re: driver problems

#1107 Post by einar »

Billtoo wrote:
einar wrote:

thanks for all help

Einar
Run SFS-load on-the-fly and make sure both the devx and kernel source
sfs files are loaded, (see screenshot)
If they are loaded quit SFS-load on-the-fly and open the terminal.
Try installing the proprietary driver again with the command:

sh amd-driver-installer-12-1-x86.x86_64.run --force

When the driver is finished installing enter the command:

aticonfig --initial

Then exit the terminal and reboot.

AHA! :) the kernel source. ill bet thats where i got i wrong. i did not download or load that. i will check this out tomorrow. Thanks alot Billtoo :)

Geoffrey

#1108 Post by Geoffrey »

I thought I'd try Google-earth, previous attempts at running this have been a dismal failure, still seems to have a problem with fonts, it is totally unusable.

Does anybody have a fix for this, it's impossible to read anything to make any kind of change, I'm using a nvidia geforce 8600 gt, which works fine with anything else. :?
Attachments
Screenshot-1.jpg
(40.33 KiB) Downloaded 1092 times

mavrothal

#1109 Post by mavrothal »

xz compression in the SFSs brakes possible backwards compatibility (older kernels) and taxes the CPU of older hardware with minimal bandwidth/size gains.
May be could be avoided.
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

Billtoo

#1110 Post by Billtoo »

Geoffrey wrote:I thought I'd try Google-earth, previous attempts at running this have been a dismal failure, still seems to have a problem with fonts, it is totally unusable.

Does anybody have a fix for this, it's impossible to read anything to make any kind of change, I'm using a nvidia geforce 8600 gt, which works fine with anything else. :?
This pc has a Nvidia 8600gt graphics card.
Google Earth works fine with it.

Mon 13 Feb 2012 Operating System: Saluki-011 Linux 2.6.39-ski
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G84[GeForce 8600 GT](rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: G84 Board - p402h00 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.0
dimensions: 1280x1024 pixels (382x302 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 8600 GT/PCI/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 290.10

# glxgears
49472 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9894.362 FPS
49548 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9909.474 FPS
49564 frames in 5.0 seconds = 9912.782 FPS
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(189.36 KiB) Downloaded 1105 times
Screenshot-1.jpg
(190.87 KiB) Downloaded 1086 times

gcmartin

#1111 Post by gcmartin »

goo... ... ...bird

New pets:
file... ... ...vpn
Is there any chance of a current jre which survives over a reboot of a multi-session Live media? (I think all understand the need) A PET would be the preference.

Also, check PM

Thanks in advance

Geoffrey

#1112 Post by Geoffrey »

gcmartin wrote:
goo... ... ...bird

New pets:
file... ... ...vpn
Is there any chance of a current jre which survives over a reboot of a multi-session Live media? (I think all understand the need) A PET would be the preference.

Thanks in advance
The jre-1.6u30-i586.sfs is compatible with the LibreOffice3.4.5.sfs, I've tried jre-1.7u2-i586.sfs and it doesn't work with it, it might be just as easy to convert the jre-1.6u30-i586.sfs into a PET.

I just tried SFS_Installer-1.0-430.pet from Here, seems to work ok, I installed xaralx-1785.sfs and uninstalled it with the package manager.

I did notice that it leaves empty directories when uninstalling, it must not be making a proper pet package so install only if making a remaster should be ok.

It might be easier to just extract the sfs and use dir2pet.

futwerk

#1113 Post by futwerk »

Even saluki will be enjoying St-Valentine's day. Happy Valentine everyone.
Attachments
pupfb13,3z.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(66.9 KiB) Downloaded 863 times
pupfb13,3.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(64.74 KiB) Downloaded 886 times

scsijon

#1114 Post by scsijon »

Geoffrey wrote:
I did notice that it leaves empty directories when uninstalling, it must not be making a proper pet package so install only if making a remaster should be ok.
This is happening in a number of cases lately, not just Saluki and not just with sfs's, so I did a bit of testing and searching.

With pet's, i've found it most prevalent when installing but not using the ppm to install with, and then uninstalling with the ppm. I was wondering if it was because 'something' was in use by a process until restart/reboot, i've even found local temp directories (not /tmp/xxxx) have been left behind. Plus quite a few times the menu icons are also still there.

With sfs's, so far it seems to always be process related, some directories are gone, but directories related and down to a process's start file are still there. Maybe there needs to be a cleanup script to run after restart added to sort the problem out.

regards
scsijon
ps, notice that the glade Interface designer icon is missing in the dev sfs, :lol: everyone seems to be doing it!

jpeps

#1115 Post by jpeps »

scsijon wrote:
Geoffrey wrote:
This is happening in a number of cases lately, not just Saluki and not just with sfs's, so I did a bit of testing and searching.
The uninstaller leaves a lot, including open directories. If concerned, it's simple to write your own uninstaller. Mine checks for open directories and prompts me prior to removing. I guess it tends to be ultra conservative about removing anything, which might be wise for public use.