Saluki

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jim3630

#1081 Post by jim3630 »

technosaurus wrote:did anyone try making a symlink for libstdc++.so.6, rather than adding a whole library, that is the kind of stuff that adds unnecessary bloat and also means that it was compiled in a different development environment (which _can_ be bad "juju" ?sp?)
not me. yes all the pets i posted were compiled somewhere else. oh no...bad juju.

don't have source either. all pet picked up here.

mavrothal

#1082 Post by mavrothal »

The file clobbering warning during pet installation is nice, but maybe you want to add a line of code so pet name and clobbered files could be saved in eg /root/.packages/clobbered_by_pets, since these warnings are sure to be forgotten by the user.
At some point latter removepreview.sh could be modified to check against this file and provide at least a similar warning, if not copy back from the lower layer (in cases that no other pet has re-globbered the files)
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

einar

#1083 Post by einar »

jemimah wrote:I've upload the following to the repo:

I'll be adding more over the next few days. Requests?
as Lobster asked for Ati and Nvidia drivers :) and the newest XBMC 11.0 beta 3 :) http://xbmc.org/download/ and Clementine : http://www.clementine-player.org/ are on my wish list :)

and a complete SDL/ game dependency pet package. For ppl who want to play 3D games. Not sure that is even possible :)

Tanks for the updates Jemimah :)

jemimah

#1084 Post by jemimah »

mavrothal wrote:The file clobbering warning during pet installation is nice, but maybe you want to add a line of code so pet name and clobbered files could be saved in eg /root/.packages/clobbered_by_pets, since these warnings are sure to be forgotten by the user.
At some point latter removepreview.sh could be modified to check against this file and provide at least a similar warning, if not copy back from the lower layer (in cases that no other pet has re-globbered the files)
It seems removepreview removes directly from the save layer - so perhaps that warning is only needed for full installs or for user installed pets that clobber each other.

jemimah

#1085 Post by jemimah »

jim3630 wrote:
jemimah wrote:I'll be adding more over the next few days. Requests?
neveroid1 is cli. couldn't find it so the upload is from my pets.

numptyphytics from my pets

billiards from my pets

martian_memory
enigma
lmarbles

the above are all pets from murga. only dependency is sdl-1.2.9
all work ok in slacko 5.3.3.

thanks

These seem like good choices. I have recompiled and/or repackaged them and uploaded them to the repo.

jemimah

#1086 Post by jemimah »

Lobster wrote:
Requests?
. . . since you ask . . . :)

pdf-cube
imagination
ATI crystal graphics and NVidia accelerated drivers
GLX drivers
Blender
Openshot 1.4.2 (for me requires ATI, GLX and Python)
Xaralx
plogo (Puppy prog)
zensound (Puppy prog)
latest Chromium
xchat (ready to go Pidgin needs setting up to go to Puppy IRC)
Well I got the easy ones.

pdf-cube
imagination
xaralx (SFS)
plogo
zensound
xchat (no autologin yet)

I don't think this is the final kernel so I probably won't compile drivers yet

GLX drivers are included by default

I don't think there's a recent binary version of chromium that will run on racy/wary and they make it so difficult to compile that I won't even attempt it.

xchat: will someone send me the proper config file for auto pupppylinux login. Freenode has blacklisted my isp so I can't test it.

jim3630

#1087 Post by jim3630 »

jemimah wrote: These seem like good choices. I have recompiled and/or repackaged them and uploaded them to the repo.
jemimah, thanks so much.

Jasper

#1088 Post by Jasper »

Hi jemimah, Lobster et al,

Quote from stu90 who made this portable version of Opera:

Portable application of Opera 11.61 for testing - no installation needed, after download just make the file executable and click on it to run.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3009188/Opera

(please do not try to strip this file as it is not the correct file type for this operation)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In case it may be of interest It seems to work with Saluki 0.1.1 during a brief test of some 15 minutes so it would seem likely that the 11.61 and 11.62 sfs versions from Terryphi might also work with luki - see http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=65426

My regards

Geoffrey

#1089 Post by Geoffrey »

I tried the Billiards game, when I closed it the desktop remains at the same resolution as the game was also if I select 1280 x 1024 the game fails to run, have to delete the /root/.BillardGL.conf.v7 and restartx, it don't seem to have the option to run in a window

Code: Select all

OPTIONS

-f  -fullscreen
              switches to fullscreen mode (can currently not be  changed  from
              inside billard-gl itself)

-f  -windowed
              switches to windowed mode (default; can currently not be changed
              from inside billard-gl itself)
runs fine if in a window at 1280x1024

Hi Jasper,

I tested stu90's Opera, seems to work ok, there is a Opera 11.61 sfs in the PPM

Sage

#1090 Post by Sage »

after download just make the file executable
...ah yes, those that do!
Care to qualify that with a succinct explanation for those that don't?! Ta.

Geoffrey

#1091 Post by Geoffrey »

Sage wrote:
after download just make the file executable
...ah yes, those that do!
Care to qualify that with a succinct explanation for those that don't?! Ta.
To make it executable use Thunar file manager, rightclick the Opera binary file, go to properties then the permissions tab, tick the "Allow this file to run as a program" and Bob's your uncle :wink:
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 1447 times

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#1092 Post by Lobster »

Well I got the easy ones.

pdf-cube
imagination
xaralx (SFS)
plogo
zensound
xchat (no autologin yet)
Yabba Dabba Doo!
http://youtu.be/qpGx4foRdPw
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Jasper

#1093 Post by Jasper »

To make a Portable "Puppy" Linux file executable [general method] :

(a) Note the colour of the text under the file's ship-wheel style Icon (the Icon can be left where downloaded or moved anywhere - usually a place still available after a reboot). If desired, the Icon and/or the File Name may be changed.
------------------------------------
(1) Right Click on the Icon
(2) Left Click on Permissions
(3) Left Click on Yes
(b) Left Click on the Icon to Run (if the text has turned Green it will Run if it can - not all Portable Linux applications Run in Puppies or OS's they were not built to run in.
(c) When the program is closed the only remains are the icon (plus any links deliberately made e.g. by drag and drop to the Desktop or in this case any specific settings made and saved in /root in a [hidden dot] .opera file (which may itself be linked outside of /root).

Portables may be an inefficient use of space, but I like them; I seem to recall Lobster likes them and I am always pleased to read any view from jemimah.

Addendum for Sage (post his comment in his post below):

stu90 helped those interested by making the Portable Opera program. Those who are bone idle or cannot yet google effectively can ask, as Sage did. The direct answer to his question is as simple as
(1) Right Click, (2) Left Click, (3) Left Click (as detailed above - though not in Welsh), but, to obviate further questions whether asked or not, my response covered wider issues than merely "making executable".

What is throwaway is the comment by Sage below.
Last edited by Jasper on Sun 12 Feb 2012, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.

Sage

#1094 Post by Sage »

Thanks guys! Knew it wasn't as simple as a single throw-away word!

Billtoo

Saluki

#1095 Post by Billtoo »

I compiled the newest releases of firefox-10.0.1 and seamonkey-2.7.1
and I uploaded them to the Saluki repository in Puppy Package Manager.

jemimah

#1096 Post by jemimah »

I've managed to get Clementine to build. It is now available in the PPM - 11MB, mostly static.

cthisbear

#1097 Post by cthisbear »

Dell Studio XPS1340

Still no wireless connection....>> b43.

Can see lights flicker on the router....so it's getting there.

Can't seem to unload drivers...to try alternative connection methods.

The full network manager is back ...Thanks.

Is there a Rox pet? Sorry Some things I need to use with Rox
for data recovery...>> Windows drives.

Chris.

jemimah

#1098 Post by jemimah »

Check the ppm for rox.

----

I've uploaded a blender sfs (37MB).

Tman

#1099 Post by Tman »

jemimah wrote: I don't think there's a recent binary version of chromium that will run on racy/wary and they make it so difficult to compile that I won't even attempt it.
Iron has a linux version that I've been testing in Exprimo. (no compiling neccessary). It gives error messages in the terminal but still runs okay (so far).

Apparently the newer Chromium-type browsers need Glibc-2.11.
I have no idea what it takes to update to that version...I imagine a lot of compiling. There is a deb for it somewhere at debian.org, but me-thinks that installing the .deb file is not the proper way to do it.

EDIT: I was curious and did some googling on Glibc and came across this webpage.
I am not very familiar with backend stuff, so I am not sure if this is the method needed to update glibc in Puppy Linux.

ttuuxxx

#1100 Post by ttuuxxx »

Tman wrote:
jemimah wrote: I don't think there's a recent binary version of chromium that will run on racy/wary and they make it so difficult to compile that I won't even attempt it.
Iron has a linux version that I've been testing in Exprimo. (no compiling neccessary). It gives error messages in the terminal but still runs okay (so far).

Apparently the newer Chromium-type browsers need Glibc-2.11.
I have no idea what it takes to update to that version...I imagine a lot of compiling. There is a deb for it somewhere at debian.org, but me-thinks that installing the .deb file is not the proper way to do it.

EDIT: I was curious and did some googling on Glibc and came across this webpage.
I am not very familiar with backend stuff, so I am not sure if this is the method needed to update glibc in Puppy Linux.
I think I'm the only one on puppy that successively updated glibc actually I did it twice on 2.14X, the way I did it was I made system-links to the older version numbers of all the libs and updated the devx.
It was actually pretty easy. once you updated it then just build the sfs and make a iso :)
ttuuxxx
http://audio.online-convert.com/ <-- excellent site
http://samples.mplayerhq.hu/A-codecs/ <-- Codec Test Files
http://html5games.com/ <-- excellent HTML5 games :)