Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 22 Nov 2017, 22:07
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
FastCairn 1.0.0
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2011, 03:03    Post subject:  FastCairn 1.0.0
Subject description: A browser-oriented derivative of Puplite...

FastCairn 1.0.0, ~242MB ISO, MD5=99d0639837ca2c2c52260d6a36fa429c

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/starhawk/
Download needs login: user: puppy - pass: linux

OK, so about a week ago, my mother (habitual WinXP user) cries out in the middle of a typical (~8hr+!) Farmville session, "Geez, why can't anyone make this thing go any faster?!" (Referring, of course, to the browser...)

Here is the result. The name comes from a phrase my grandmother used to say, "...like a terrier after a rat." Of course, Grandma was referring to persistence, but that played a big part in making FastCairn happen as well Wink

...oh, and before I get any further: this is really a one-shot project. I'm planning on doing a bugfix release (FastCairn 1.0.1) approximately whenever I get the kinks worked out of this version, but after that, it's done and I'm not updating it further. Too many things get messed up that way!

FastCairn is based off of Puplite 5.0 (the NON-"uniprocessor" kernel version), and is designed to be a rather minimal Puppy, primarily for browsing. I've stripped out a lot of stuff (some more successfully than others -- there are a few menu entries that don't go anywhere!) and put in a browser called Arora (minimal, but supports Flash) and the usual (for me!) OOoLight office suite. Background image was sourced via Google, per usual.

The result is a bit heftier than I'd like at 242MB, but it's definitely nicer on the RAM. Arora should definitely offer a faster browsing experience than the "usual suspects" (Firefox and co.), even though it still supports Flash.

Of note, there are a few bugs. Some of the stuff I stripped out left behind menu entries that should NOT be there, so if you click on something and it doesn't work, that's why. Also, the top tray that I coded in appears to be rather a bit AWOL, and Arora's "Click to Flash Plugin" has me a little worried (should be no problem-o to replace that with a regular Flash plugin on the user end... let me know if ya'll have problems with that!). Also, PMConky needs to be a readable color (should be easy to fix *that*!).

Oh, and a side note for one particular member here... Nooby, if you try this on that netbook of yours, you almost certainly will need that "nosmp" line in your boot code. I'll assume that you know how to get that there Wink

No screenshot for now, I'll post one for the bugfix release if I ever get that worked out...

arcanis

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2011, 23:39    Post subject:  

At my son's business several months ago I was forced to use an older pc running XP and I thought I would have a melt down just waiting around for things to run, and I said, "Good Lord, why is this taking so d*** long?" To which my son replied, "Dad, how long has it been now since you used Windows?"

The truth is, since I started using Puppy habitually, even the big Linux Distros seem a little sluggish. The thought of putting KDE on my Puppy makes the little hairs on the back of my neck stand up, and a chill runs down my spine.

One day, I realized I didn't even boot into my Linux Mint Debian Edition anymore, so I deleted it and installed Slacko onto the HD. My wife then confirmed my suspicions by saying, "Puppy really is the best Linux, I think."

There's a lot to be said for speed.

I think I might just have a look at this puplet, Starhawk. Smile
starhawk

PostPosted: Sun 20 Nov 2011, 23:56    Post subject:  

Wow, thanks! That was a very thoughtful comment. Also: one feature that BrowserLinux lacks that FastCairn does not... support for USB flash drives! That was one of the primary reasons (aside from the use of Firefox) for me creating FastCairn instead of just using BrowserLinux...

I quite look forward to your feedback!

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov 2011, 07:04    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
Wow, thanks! That was a very thoughtful comment. Also: one feature that BrowserLinux lacks that FastCairn does not... support for USB flash drives! That was one of the primary reasons (aside from the use of Firefox) for me creating FastCairn instead of just using BrowserLinux...

I quite look forward to your feedback!

nice to see someone making use of Pupliet... If i were you, I'd think about using Akita (puplites successor) - the list of fixes and updates are HUGE...

starhawk

PostPosted: Wed 30 Nov 2011, 16:26    Post subject:  

I thought Akita was still in beta... I'll roll a new FastCairn when Akita is in release form.

Thanks, sc0ttman, I needed a little excuse to procrastinate on that Wink Razz

Page 1 of 1 [5 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: