SM 2.0.11 frequently closing

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

SM 2.0.11 frequently closing

#1 Post by nubc »

I am using a full install of Puppy 5.1.1. with SM 2.0.11. The spontaneous closing of all instances of SM is getting very frustrating. Even when I have reduced activity to two instances of SM and disabled DownloadHelper, with AdBlockPlus still enabled, the spontaneous closing of SM continues to occur, with only two instances of SM, one window on YouTube and another on some other site of interest. If I do anything on the site of interest, all instances of SM close. This is occurring very frequently, despite efforts to "walk on eggs" when using multiple (2) windows. The spontaneous closing occurs after listening to one or two YT music videos, so I am constantly restoring the session in Seamonkey. That would be 7 to 10 times an hour, which is ridiculous. Sometimes, the action that causes the spontaneous closing is as subtle as a mouse-over. Please do not advise me to upgrade Seamonkey or use another version of Puppy. Likely, the problem is either DownloadHelper or AdBlockPlus.

nubc

#2 Post by nubc »

Another anomaly I often experience is that the YT Player progress bar and controls freeze while the video continues to play. When this happens the window will surely spontaneously close if any action is taken, such as clicking on another video. If this window closes, so will all other instances of SM. This condition is not caused by streaming becoming stale over time, because I have observed it immediately after a reboot, which usually corrects a corrupted streaming function.

disciple

#3 Post by disciple »

Youtube traditionally uses Flash. Flash is evil. It seems to be almost the sole cause of browser freezes and crashes (apart from internet explorer ;)).
It seems that each version of Flash comes with new bugs (and sometimes existing bugs are actually fixed :)). Some versions of Flash appear to work better or worse with particular browsers or particular browser versions. People often say to upgrade to a newer Flash or downgrade to an older Flash to reduce crashes. Try that.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER