Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 21 Dec 2014, 01:49
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
SlimPup 3.4
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
sheepy

PostPosted: Sun 06 Nov 2011, 11:21    Post subject:  SlimPup 3.4  

http://www.slimpup.com

Changes:
    Blender added.
    Nitrogen is the new wallpaper-setter
    New Conky config
    Japanese, Chinese, and Korean fonts added.

Note: If you want the old Conky back with the Lua rings (as seen here: http://slimpup.com/slimpup.png) , just rename .conkyrc2 in the /root/ folder to just .conkyrc

If you are already using 3.3 and want to just upgrade to 3.4, download this pet package: http://sourceforge.net/projects/slimpuplinux/files/SlimPup/upgrade.pet/download
slimpup3.4.png
Description 
png

Download 
Filename  slimpup3.4.png 
Filesize  3.8 KB 
Downloaded  652 Time(s) 
tatamata

PostPosted: Fri 11 Nov 2011, 13:43    Post subject:  

How to set battery status indicator (for a netbook)?
sheepy

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov 2011, 13:21    Post subject:  

tatamata wrote:
How to set battery status indicator (for a netbook)?

Open the file manager, press the paw-print to show the hidden files, and open .conkyrc in Geany. Add this code to the end of the last line:
Code:
BAT: ${battery_bar 7,40}

For a full list of different commands you can add to Conky, look here: http://conky.sourceforge.net/variables.html
Puppyt

PostPosted: Sat 12 Nov 2011, 16:37    Post subject:  

Thanks sheepy - I needed that info too - Cheers!
frogy

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:01    Post subject:  

Hi, I just tried the SlimPup and I loved the minimal look! But it is hard for me to work without a panel (fbpanel or tint2), when I minimize a window where can I find it and restore it?
Gaby

PostPosted: Mon 14 Nov 2011, 10:48    Post subject:  

@ Frogy
Try middle-click anywhere on desktop.
frogy

PostPosted: Wed 16 Nov 2011, 07:34    Post subject:  

Thank you Gaby! That's great, no need for panel.
Puppyt

PostPosted: Thu 22 Dec 2011, 03:34    Post subject:  

Cheers sheepykins,
I'm writing from SlimPup 3.4 now, setting it up for my wife who has decided she is finally 'over' XP+IE7. This given the underhand updating of MicroSoft to IE8 which we believe is causing major bandwidth blockages on our meagre 3G wifi internet. Yay! I've configured the households multi-partitioned, multi-boot machine to miss booting XP by default, and we'll see how she navigates SlimPup now that I've imported her IE Favourites into Chromium.

I've just spent a fun-filled hour exploring your slim-lined setup, sheepy, and I like it very much - got the Conky+Lua happening and am looking to include wigits for broadband throughput and email alerts (gmail and - we'll see - bigpond.com webmail), and I've altered the right-click menu to put PupApps at the top, because I would quibble that such a useful application be buried way down in Applications>Utility.
I kinda miss the partition/disk drive icons on the desktop for my file /project archives - I have about 8 that I have organised for systematic backups etc (originally spawned under XP and are mostly NTFS formats). Could you suggest for me a method for replicating that functionality in Openbox/Slim Pup? Perhaps a dock with drive icons for direct mount/unmount if the pinboard method is not practical?
More feedback when we find out what the 'boss' thinks-
Cheers Again!

EDIT: I found "Openbox/Fbpanel, How to set it all up" http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68200 and that'll give me loads of tinkering Smile

sheepy

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan 2012, 12:26    Post subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
Cheers sheepykins,
I'm writing from SlimPup 3.4 now, setting it up for my wife who has decided she is finally 'over' XP+IE7. This given the underhand updating of MicroSoft to IE8 which we believe is causing major bandwidth blockages on our meagre 3G wifi internet. Yay! I've configured the households multi-partitioned, multi-boot machine to miss booting XP by default, and we'll see how she navigates SlimPup now that I've imported her IE Favourites into Chromium.

I've just spent a fun-filled hour exploring your slim-lined setup, sheepy, and I like it very much - got the Conky+Lua happening and am looking to include wigits for broadband throughput and email alerts (gmail and - we'll see - bigpond.com webmail), and I've altered the right-click menu to put PupApps at the top, because I would quibble that such a useful application be buried way down in Applications>Utility.
I kinda miss the partition/disk drive icons on the desktop for my file /project archives - I have about 8 that I have organised for systematic backups etc (originally spawned under XP and are mostly NTFS formats). Could you suggest for me a method for replicating that functionality in Openbox/Slim Pup? Perhaps a dock with drive icons for direct mount/unmount if the pinboard method is not practical?
More feedback when we find out what the 'boss' thinks-
Cheers Again!

EDIT: I found "Openbox/Fbpanel, How to set it all up" http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=68200 and that'll give me loads of tinkering Smile

Hey, Puppyt!
Glad you like it. SlimPup does secretly have Tint2 installed for a panel, but the configuration file for it has been blanked to deactivate it. If you want to reactivate it, delete the config file in /root/.config/tint2/tint2rc (I think, I'm at school right now on XP, unfortunately). After restarting the X server, it will generate a default tint2 config, and you will have a cool panel.

As for the desktop icons, you could open the Puppy Control Panel, click the "desktop" tab, and set the desktop icons to show. Or you could open a terminal and run "rox p" (again, can't remember too well, on a school computer at the moment).

As for Gmail notifications, desktop notifications for new messages show up when using Gmail online. Pretty cool.
Take care, and happy tinkering Smile
Page 1 of 1 [9 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: