PupSysInfo-2.8.6

Miscellaneous tools
comcoco

PupSysInfo-2.6.6

#76 Post by comcoco »

Thanks very much for the information you provided. It has taught me a lot. I am not sure I know how to use it, but I will try.

Some of my computers which indicate 64 bit compatable on PSI will not boot 64 bit versions of Puppy.. Partly for this reason, I am working to standardize all my computers as 32 bit Tahr 6.05. Unfortunately I have not been able to get some of the older computers to boot even the 32 bit Tahr.

I will try to have the duplicate of my post deleted.

thanks again for your help.

Peter

radky

#77 Post by radky »

PupSys-Info-2.7
- Add 'Video RAM' report (thanks 01micko)
- Add kernel command line to hardware and system reports
- Add support for the concise sysinfo report of inxi, if installed (PSI menu -> Sys-Apps -> Inxi)
- Adjust output of the Uptime report, and add Processes (total and running)
- Replace xmessage with gtkdialog-splash as the primary notification dialog
- Bugfix: In some scenarios, system reports with non-ASCII characters did not display
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

MochiMoppel

#78 Post by MochiMoppel »

radky wrote:- Replace xmessage with gtkdialog-splash as the primary notification dialog
Why?

radky

#79 Post by radky »

MochiMoppel wrote:
radky wrote:- Replace xmessage with gtkdialog-splash as the primary notification dialog
Why?
Hi MochiMoppel,

Replacing xmessage with gtkdialog-splash is primarily a consideration of aesthetics.

In my opinion, the default appearance of the xmessage dialog is acceptable in recent Pups but the appearance in older Pups is much less appealing.

On the other hand, the gtkdialog-splash dialog is relatively consistent in legacy and modern Pups.

If gtkdialog-splash is not available (renamed, deleted or not installed), PupSysInfo-2.7 will default to xmessage as the notification dialog, in which case the behavior is identical to prior versions of this application.

Thanks
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

MochiMoppel

#80 Post by MochiMoppel »

Hi radky, thanks for your answer and thanks for your wonderful application. The new version works fine for me.
radky wrote:In my opinion, the default appearance of the xmessage dialog is acceptable in recent Pups but the appearance in older Pups is much less appealing.
I suspected a compatibility issue, but aesthetics?

I compared gxmessage versions of an old Puppy 4.2 and of the newest Tahrpup. Both versions rendered exactly the same in my Slacko5.6 (second dialog in screenshot). So if it's not gxmessage itself, it must be the parameters. Different Puppies may default to different fonts, leading to a more or less pleasant look. Dialog-splash is hard-coded for DejaVu bold. If you specify this font for gxmessage you can achieve the same consistent look in all Puppies (see 3rd dialog in the screenhot, produced with Puppy 4.2 version). Not that bad, better than the second one and much,much faster than gtkdialog-splash. Even if speed may not matter for a dialog that says "Please wait..." I guess that the time it takes until gtkdialog-splash makes its appearance on screen can sometimes be longer than the wait it announces.
Attachments
gtkdialog-splash_vs_gxmessage.png
(13.35 KiB) Downloaded 548 times

L18L

PupSysInfo-2.7.1

#81 Post by L18L »

Did I miss other translations?

Anyway, here is German translation Pup-SysInfo.mo

It is included under Pup-SysInfo/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES
and thus it is portable.

What else?

I do not really like markdown.
But using mdview is great.
As an example I have manuall converted Help.html to Help.md.

Scripts and help file are using the same TEXTDOMAIN.
HTML can automatically be converted from md.
and additionally translated HTML files.

The script md2html creates translated html files under Pup-SysInfo/Help.

Have fun
Attachments
md2html.gz
click to unzip
(1.23 KiB) Downloaded 168 times
Help-Html.png
cvreated from .md and .mo
(132.52 KiB) Downloaded 477 times

radky

#82 Post by radky »

Hi L18L,

The md2html script is intriguing - and should be very useful. Thank you!

L18L wrote:
Anyway, here is German translation Pup-SysInfo.mo
L18L, I see the md2html attachment but no German translation Pup-SysInfo.mo.

Did I misunderstand?

L18L

PupSysInfo-2.7.1

#83 Post by L18L »

radky wrote:L18L, I see the md2html attachment but no German translation Pup-SysInfo.mo.

Did I misunderstand?
No, you did not.
It was me who has forgotten to upload 2.7.1

new is TEXTDOMAINDIR to make it fully portable.
translations are under locale.
translated Help under Help.

I hope the comments in md2html are enough for understanding.

I have seen SFR is making use of TEXTDOMAINDIR other than the default /usr/share/locale which is very good for portability.
That is why I was trying to follow up this way; will have to enhance momanager for this, too.

-----

EDIT
Pup-SysInfo-2.7.1 purged.
Last edited by L18L on Thu 20 Jul 2017, 12:59, edited 2 times in total.

radky

#84 Post by radky »

Hi L18L,

Thanks for the PupSysInfo mo file (de) and updated Help files in HTML and MD format.

The Help files contained a few missing and/or broken links, now fixed.

I have updated the Preferences module and added the option to choose mdview or defaultbrowser as the Help file viewer. This includes two additional gettext entries (Help Viewer and the associated tooltip) which may require a slight update to your mo file. See image below.

I have tested in both en and de environments -- looks good!

To avoid confusion for others who read this thread, maybe you could remove your PupSysInfo-2.7.1 pet above. I will release an official version 2.7.1 with additional updates.

Thanks!

Edit: removed 2.7.1 test release.
Last edited by radky on Tue 25 Jul 2017, 21:10, edited 1 time in total.

L18L

PupSysInfo-2.7

#85 Post by L18L »

radky wrote:I have updated the Preferences module and added the option to choose mdview or defaultbrowser as the Help file viewer.
Who will need that?
At the moment most puppies do not have mdview.
If one has mdview it is automatically being used.

Code: Select all

<action>defaultbrowser $WORKDIR/Help.html &</action>
changed to:

Code: Select all

<action>[ "$(which mdview)" ] && mdview Help.md || defaultbrowser $WORKDIR/Help.html &</action>
I cannot see any reason for anybody to prefer html over md.
radky wrote:To avoid confusion for others who read this thread, maybe you could remove your PupSysInfo-2.7.1 pet above.
...done

radky

#86 Post by radky »

@L18L,

Puppy is all about flexibility and configurability.

I think a user should have the option to choose personal preferences for Puppy, including the help viewer.

Your new MD and standard HTML formats for the PupSysInfo help file are nicely crafted and I really like mdview as a viewer.

Even so, the new option in the PupSysInfo preferences module allows user choice. If mdview is not availble, it does not show as an option in the drop-down list of the combobox. If mdview is available, then both mdview and defaultbrowser will show in the drop-down list, and the user can easily select a preferred viewer.

Consequently, in PupSysInfo-2.7.1 the action code for the help viewer is now determined by the user, either mdview or defaultbrowser. In my opinion, both options are very nice. :)

Thank you L18L. Your contributions to Puppy and Quirky are very much appreciated.

radky

#87 Post by radky »

Pup-SysInfo-2.7.2
- Add enhanced help files in MD and HTML formats for user-choice viewing in mdview or defaultbrowser (thanks L18L)
- Add de locales in optional pet (thanks L18L)

radky

#88 Post by radky »

Pup-SysInfo-2.7.3
- Add support for parsing Cpu frequency in Pups with kernels >=4.13

Marv

#89 Post by Marv »

Version 2.7.3 tested in LxPupSc 17.09.23 with 4.13.2 64b kernel. Cpu info displayed correctly. Thanks!
Attachments
screenshot.png
(58.1 KiB) Downloaded 217 times
Pups currently in kennel :D Older LxPupSc and X-slacko-4.4 for my users; LxPupSc, LxPupSc64 and upupEF for me. All good pups indeed, and all running savefiles for look'n'feel only. Browsers, etc. solely from SFS.

radky

#90 Post by radky »

Marv wrote:Version 2.7.3 tested in LxPupSc 17.09.23 with 4.13.2 64b kernel. Cpu info displayed correctly. Thanks!
Hi Marv,

Thanks for testing the new PupSysInfo. Your report is much appreciated!

peebee

#91 Post by peebee »

Hi @Radky

A useful addition to PupSysInfo would be a display of the
BUILD_FROM_WOOF=
status

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

radky

#92 Post by radky »

Pup-SysInfo-2.8
- Adjust BUILD_FROM_WOOF report (PSI Menu -> Sys-Specs -> Distro Specs)
- Adjust Yad-version report (PSI Menu -> Sys-Specs -> Distro Specs)
- Adjust optical-disc report (use busybox hdparm for improved consistency in report parameters)
- Add alsa-info.sh script for additional ALSA Information in audio report (thanks 01micko)
- Add current-GCC report if devx loaded (PSI Menu -> Sys-Specs -> Distro Specs)
- Add report of GCC version used to build kernel (PSI Menu -> Sys-Specs -> Kernel)
- Add report of meltdown and spectre vulnerabilities of CPU (PSI Menu -> Mainboard -> CPU)
Last edited by radky on Sun 13 May 2018, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#93 Post by bigpup »

Thank you for the updates to a very, very good program. :!: :!:
I use it all the time. :D :D :D
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

8Geee

#94 Post by 8Geee »

Dropped this into slacko5.7-AtomicPup. Nice update.
Thanks 4 this.

8Geee

Meltdown Spectre?? who dat??? :P
Linux user #498913 "Some people need to reimagine their thinking."
"Zuckerberg: a large city inhabited by mentally challenged people."

radky

#95 Post by radky »

Pup-SysInfo-2.8.1
- Adjust display format of cpu vulnerability report (Mainboard -> CPU)