Trying to get nsf working (pup-431-k2.6.21.7)

What features/apps/bugfixes needed in a future Puppy
5littlejoe5

Trying to get nsf working (pup-431-k2.6.21.7)

#1 Post by 5littlejoe5 »

My desktop is running mint10, and has several distros on it with their "home " directories under /home (e.g. /home/mint10; /home/debm; etc.. Buy mounting /home I can open any of those home directories. This is not a security problem since I am the only user of anyu opf these computers.

mount-FULL -t nfs 192.168.0.2:/home /root/nfs1 is the command line I used. I have my other laptop (also using mint10) networked to /home on the desktop, and it works fine.

I have added a directory in puppy at /root/nfs1 The error I get is:
"mount: 192.168.0.2/home: can't read sujperblock"

Do I need to download/install a "pet" or two? Do I need to configure some file in puppy?

And when I get this to work, I'm going to want to work it the other way around (with puppy as the server if it can be done. Thanx

tempestuous

#2 Post by tempestuous »

You need the nfsd kernel modules, which most Puppy versions are missing.
And obviously you will need the nfsd modules which exactly match your Puppy kernel-version ...
it appears you have one of the 4.31 "retro special" Puppy versions
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -files.htm
with kernel version 2.6.21.7. There's a chance that kernel modules from the standard Puppy 3.x-4.0 kernel might (?) be compatible ... if so, here is nfsd-k2.6.21.7-i486.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=45090

But be aware that Barry's kernel configuration in pup-430-k2.6.21.7 appears to have a few extra changes (relating to SCSI drivers) so any/all standard 2.6.21.7 drivers from the Puppy 3.x/4.0 series may fail to work.

The way to know is to go ahead and install the nfsd dotpet, then manually load the main driver -

Code: Select all

modprobe nfsd
then look for any error messages, and also run the "dmesg" command and look at the very end to see how the nfsd driver loaded.
If it fails to load successfully, your only option with NFS is to move up to a more conventional Puppy release.

5littlejoe5

#3 Post by 5littlejoe5 »

Got nfsd installed. don't see any errors. Did the modprobe nfsd and still no errors. dmesg | tail doesn't indicate any errors.

But my command line still doesn't work. It waits a long while, and then returns the error as before:
mount: 192.168.0.2:/home: can't read superblock
Have I got the command line wrong? or.... :?

You mentioned moving up to a more "conventional" release. I tried several different ones on this machine. Several of the really old ones installed ok, but this was the newest one that I could get to boot up and install. The iso is called "pup-432-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso And I have it installed so that I have to boot with the CD, but then can remove the CD. It is installed on a 12GB partiton all by itself. (Windows 98 is installed on a different partition, along with an older version of puppy installed so it boots from dos)

This is an IBM thinkpad 770 originaly designend for windows 95. So what "conventional" version can I likely put on it? And is there a special procedure to follow, since I already have this one in place?

By the way, I do so appreciate you r prompt answers. I am in the midst of preparing to go to Mexico for several months, and would like to get this working before I go. Once I get down there, my connection to the internet is pretty tenuous, since I hae to go out and find an 'internet cafe' each time. There are no telephones, or cable connections in the village where we will be.

Dave (5littlejoe5)

tempestuous

#4 Post by tempestuous »

5littlejoe5 wrote:Have I got the command line wrong?
I suggest you follow mikeb's HOWTO in the same post where you obtained the dotpet.

It appears that you must install his "nfs_common" package, then run either the nfsd or portmap daemons.