puppy boot from USB using YUMI

Booting, installing, newbie
Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#31 Post by Béèm »

That could be.
When having a bit more time, I'll try he 5.1.1
But if I remember well, 5.1.1 has always been kinda troublesome.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Burn_IT

#32 Post by Burn_IT »

@Béèm: PSUBDIR is a Puppy parameter not Grub4Dos.

My directories are only one level deep. I will try it in a minute (with Grub4Dos) when I've got 5.3 to try. Unfortunately I have to work with Windows so reboots only take place in slack periods and at home.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#33 Post by Béèm »

Burn_IT wrote:@Béèm: PSUBDIR is a Puppy parameter not Grub4Dos.

My directories are only one level deep. I will try it in a minute (with Grub4Dos) when I've got 5.3 to try. Unfortunately I have to work with Windows so reboots only take place in slack periods and at home.
Yes you're right, but I never use it.
But what I wanted to say, there is no menu.lst, but maybe the puppy.cfg file of YUMI do act the same way.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Burn_IT

#34 Post by Burn_IT »

But what I wanted to say, there is no menu.lst, but maybe the puppy.cfg file of YUMI do act the same way.
A Rose by any other name.... etc.

I've got so used to switching between different bits of software over the years that I tend to think of script and program languages in terms of what they do, rather than what particular dialect they are written in.
"Just think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush" - T Pratchett

umair

#35 Post by umair »

Hello Everyone:
I was looking for the solution of the problem as mahaju have. find this thread. By using YUMI, it usually fails to boot the ISO of Puppy versions with the error that "no xxx.sfs" file found. The solution which I used and will work 100 % is that.

1 . make a folder e.g puppy in your multiboot/isos folder. Extract all the files of puppy linux in this folder , which ever version you want.
2. make the changes of your menu.lst which you will find in menu folder and add the following entry:

title Linux Puppy (USB Boot)
root=(hd0,0)
kernel /multiboot/isos/puppy/vmlinuz PMEDIA=usbflash PDEV1=sdb1 psubdir=multiboot/isos/puppy pfix=fsck
initrd /multiboot/isos/xprecise/initrd.gz

Thats it: By adding the above entry you can boot your puppy linux from usb drive as well as you can place all your puppy files in separate folder.

Hope that this will help someone:
(UMAIR)

Ol'Duffer

Yes, you can boot puppies etc from USB flash with YUMI

#36 Post by Ol'Duffer »

IF you can get the computer to boot from USB,
YUMI can pack quite a few puppies onto one USB flash drive/pen/stick. It usually uses syslinux, but can use GrUB4dOS as well.
I once packed a couple dozen puppies on one 4Gb chip. That was fun!

Note: some puppy-specific boot parameters help, some hinder ...
... pmedia restricts media-type, usually hinders
... psubok=TRUE usually helps
... psubdir helps guide to desired folder/directory

There's a couple of primitive Linux versions in development now - I know the 'buntu'deb works, though it doesn't do all the things the old versions do.

One nice thing about this tool - syslinux cfg files and menu.lst are Keep-It-Short-&-Simple text files, and may be studied or tweaked easily.