Softmaker Office 2008 won't print

Please post any bugs you have found
rameshiyer

Softmaker Office 2008 won't print

#1 Post by rameshiyer »

I have installed softmaker office 2008 pet file in both Warry 5.2 and Slacko 5.3. However, I am not able to print from softmaker office. The reason is our network printer is not available for print. All other programs listing my printer. However, office fails to detect/display the printer. Kindly provide solution to this. I have tried both Pet and SFS. In both situations, printer is not available. Please solve this.

jakfish

#2 Post by jakfish »

I can print from SM 2008, but SM will only utilize the "default printer". So set up your printer via CUPS as a network printer (I'm assuming you're using samba). In CUPS, set your network printer as the default. Do the print test page thing, and maybe see if you can print from Abiword.

If you can do these things, just print in TM with the default printer.

Jake

rameshiyer

Softmaker Office 2008

#3 Post by rameshiyer »

I have installed network printer through www. localhost:631. I am able to print from all the programs except softmaker office. I am not programmer. Kindly solve this. I hardly required softmaker because it is very useful for opening Microsoft documents.

jakfish

#4 Post by jakfish »

Which printer, which machine are you using?

What do you see when you hit ctrl-p in Textmaker?

Jake

rameshiyer

Softmaker

#5 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Jakes

I have network printer. Toshiba eStudio 452. Ctrl +P t triggering just default print system. (pdf export?). Installation is frugal.

jakfish

#6 Post by jakfish »

In CUPS, have you made the network printer the *default* printer?

Because if you're printing to file or to pdf in Textmaker, then the network printer is not the default.

Jake

Dewbie

#7 Post by Dewbie »

BarryK just posted a printing fix here.

jakfish

#8 Post by jakfish »

Ah, that makes sense. I'm using 4.31 without complaint from TextMaker.

Jake

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

I would like to look at this issue, but I need the serial number. Can someone PM it to me?

jakfish

#10 Post by jakfish »

Hi, rcrsn51,

If I'm not mistaken, SM 2008 is freeware for linux, etc.

http://www.softmakeroffice.com/

Jake

rcrsn51

#11 Post by rcrsn51 »

I don't see a problem here. Working in Slacko 5.3:

1. I installed a network printer and declared it to be the default, as has already been recommended.

2. I installed softmakeroffice-2008-bk.pet from the repo.

3. When I print, the only choice is "Default Print Queue [System]". There doesn't appear to be any way to add another printer.

4. The print job went to my network printer as expected.

However, if you have several printers installed, you might want a way to quickly switch the default printer. Install setdefprn-1.0.pet from the attachment below. It adds a menu entry under System called Set Default Printer.

UPDATE: The first version of setdefprn I attached installed the hidden file /root/.gtkrc.mine. Delete it. The new version below is correct.

@rameshiyer: Is the problem here with knowing how to set the default printer in CUPS?
Attachments
setdefprn-1.1.pet
(831 Bytes) Downloaded 280 times

jakfish

#12 Post by jakfish »

rcrsn51--

Your results are my results in 4.31 on a variety of machines. True, SM's weird little default-only glitch can catch people off-guard, but that's not puppy's fault.

I don't know where rameshiyer went wrong; let's see if he post back.

Jake

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

jakfish wrote:True, SM's weird little default-only glitch can catch people off-guard, but that's not puppy's fault.
Not so weird. It just means that the SM developers didn't add the hooks into CUPS - either because not all Linux's use CUPS or because the method varies with the CUPS version.

jakfish

#14 Post by jakfish »

Ah, perhaps you've never used TM in Qtopia :) Having used SM in many reincarnations, printing has never been its best friend. Printing, for example, is okay in Windows CE HPC2000, but doesn't know what to do w/ itself in my TinyBook Wince 6.0.

I love the program, but always hold my breath when I try to print.

Jake

rameshiyer

Softmaker print

#15 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Rcrsn51

Sir, As suggested by you, I have installed setdefpm-1.0 pet in my Lucid 5.2.8 and selected my network printer Toshiba eStudio 452 as Default Printer. However, while printing I am getting the "Default Print Queue [System]" and not listing (showing) the Toshiba Printer. However, I would like to inform you that I was able to take printout from Toshiba eStudio printer. Thank you very much. . I can manage with it. No problem. Academic interest, I am asking why Toshiba Printer is not showing and also other PDF printer.

ONCE AGAIN MY SINCERE THANKS TO RCRSN51.

[/u]

rcrsn51

Re: Softmaker print

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

rameshiyer wrote: Academic interest, I am asking why Toshiba Printer is not showing and also other PDF printer.
You would have to ask the Softmaker developers. It's their program. But if you read above, I gave some reasons why a Linux developer would not make his application CUPS-aware.

rameshiyer

Softmaker Printing Problem

#17 Post by rameshiyer »

I have just asked. i don't know/understand any technicalities involved in this. Another issue, I cannot set advanced printer capabilities such as selecting Both side Print, By-Pass Try, . Paper size etc... Sorry for the trouble.
I have just reported to you only.

rcrsn51

Re: Softmaker Printing Problem

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

rameshiyer wrote: Another issue, I cannot set advanced printer capabilities such as selecting Both side Print, By-Pass Try, . Paper size etc..
Can you set them from the CUPS setup screens?

rameshiyer

Softmaker Printing Problem

#19 Post by rameshiyer »

Dear Sir

I can change the setting in localhost:631. for example, If I want to select By-Pass Try, I have to go localhost and set the by-pass try option, both side, etc. Because setting in localhost:631 will be permanent nature. For every advanced setup, I have to go localhost:631. That is not practical. I feel, Softmaker having some printing problems because all other programs are working properly.