Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
G.Smiley

problem changing resolution in ati catalyst control center

#511 Post by G.Smiley »

Hello,

I already posted this problem in the beginner forum, as I thought it was my incompetence with Linux, but an Administrator there suggested it could be a bug, so here is the thing i have trouble with:

As i do have an Ati HD 5670 gfx card, I installed the ati_fglrx-11.8 driver pet. Now whenever I try to change the default resolution 1920*1080 to 1440*900, the sceen only shows a part of the desktop.
It looks like it only shows the 1440*900 part of the 1920*1080 desktop. This means I can not see the desktop icons on the far right and also not the taskbar on the bottom.
Also using Xorgwizard while the Ati driver is installed doesnt work, meaning changing resolution in Xorgwizard with installed Ati driver, always gives me a black screen.
In additional, after rebooting Slacko Puppy (and saving on a CD) it doesnt keep the resolution I set in the Ati Catalysts Control Center,
it always changes back to the default 1920*1080.
However using Xorgwizard without the Ati driver works fine.

On a general note, I do like Slacko Puppy very much, because after trying several differnet Puppys its the first one which recognises my sound chip and everything else works fine, which is great.

Hardware Info Summary:

-Computer-
Processor : 4x Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz
Memory : 3106MB (177MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 13 Jan 2012 08:13:09 CET
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel, AIC 887-VD
Audio Adapter : HDA-Intel - HD-Audio Generic
-Input Devices-
Chicony Chicony wired mouse
NOVATEK Wired Keyboard
NOVATEK Wired Keyboard
Power Button
Power Button
PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF : <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
ATA WDC WD15EARS-00M
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S223C
Generic CF Card Reader
Generic SD MS Reader
Generic SMC xD Reader

Regards,

G.Smiley

01micko

Re: problem changing resolution in ati catalyst control center

#512 Post by 01micko »

G.Smiley wrote:Hello,(snip)
As i do have an Ati HD 5670 gfx card, I installed the ati_fglrx-11.8 driver pet. Now whenever I try to change the default resolution 1920*1080 to 1440*900, the screen only shows a part of the desktop.
It looks like it only shows the 1440*900 part of the 1920*1080 desktop. This means I can not see the desktop icons on the far right and also not the taskbar on the bottom.
Also using Xorgwizard while the Ati driver is installed doesnt work, meaning changing resolution in Xorgwizard with installed Ati driver, always gives me a black screen.
In additional, after rebooting Slacko Puppy (and saving on a CD) it doesnt keep the resolution I set in the Ati Catalysts Control Center,
it always changes back to the default 1920*1080.
However using Xorgwizard without the Ati driver works fine.

On a general note, I do like Slacko Puppy very much, because after trying several differnet Puppys its the first one which recognises my sound chip and everything else works fine, which is great.(snip)

Regards,

G.Smiley
Ok, looks like I need to invest in a bigger monitor to test these things :wink:

I do have a late model ati card but my oldish monitor is the bottleneck.

As for the task bar this is a limitation of the window manager .. JWM. If you open a terminal emulator (aka 'console' or 'terminal') type jwm -restart and that should fix that, or an X restart (see shutdown menu, "Restart X server") will fix both the task bar and RHS icons.

As for not saving your X settings on a reboot I'll have to investigate.

Please hang in there!

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Shep

#513 Post by Shep »

I have been using Slacko for over a month. I can say that Firefox 7 on Slacko is significantly less responsive than Firefox 3.6.4 (or whatever the version was) on Wary. Despite this, I'm happy to stay with Slacko until I get a chance to try a newer Firefox (is it up to version 10 now?) as soon as a pet becomes available. It may be that Firefox is just not getting faster with each version.

Just want to say I greatly appreciate the collective effort that goes into each Puppy derivative. I'm using a 560MHz PIII so it's a good test of what puppy can make of older hardware.

shinobar

UPDATE: grub4dosconfig-1.7.2

#514 Post by shinobar »

UPDATE: grub4dos-0.4.4.v1.7.2.pet
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697
v1.7.2: fix was mmc card(ex. mmcblk0p1) failed(thanks to jemimah), which vmlinuz and initrd should be taken(thanks to Karl)
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Laie

#515 Post by Laie »

I have installed slacko 5.3.1 on a SD-card. This works with my Lenovo 12 Netbook. But if I try to use it with my brand new Shuttle Barebone XS35V2, it boots but suddenly says

Code: Select all

puppy_slacko_5.3.1.sfs not found. Dropping out to initial-ramdisk console...
I don't quite understand that.
The Shuttle machine: Atom D525 1,8 GHz Dual Core, 4 GB RAM, No Disk, 2 GB SD-Card.

Karl Godt

#516 Post by Karl Godt »

When you are in the ram disk console , cat the files in the /tmp directory for hints .

This would be a woof thingy . Probably missing HDD or SDD sda = HDD and CR = sdb or such like .

Laie

#517 Post by Laie »

Sorry, Karl, it took me some time to grasp cat.

# cd /tmp

# ls
ALLDRVS0
ATADRIVES0
OPTICALDRIVES0
PUPSAVES
PUPSAVES-complete
bootinit.log
flag-usb-ready
probepart.log
puppy-file-search.log
uevents.log
usb-drives-probe

# cat bootinit.log
FATAL: Module hid:b0003v0000046Dp0000C05A not found.
FATAL: Module hid:b0003v0000046Dp0000C31C not found.
FATAL: Module hid:b0003v0000046Dp0000C31C not found.

# cat probepart.log
PATITIONS=1929244|mmcblk0p1
SYSBLOCKSUB=mmcblk0p1
ALLDRVS=mmcblk0
ONEDEV=mmcblk0p1 Size=1929244 DEVICE=mmcblk0p1
  SIZE=1929244 FSTYPE=vfat
  /dev/mmcblk0p1|vfat|1929244
ONEDEV=mmcblk0 SIZE= DEVICE=

# cat puppy-files-search.log
ALLDRVS=mmcblk0
The output of
# cat uevents.log
filled more than a screen,
I'd rather not write it down and I don't know a way to save it from the console.

pabloA

#518 Post by pabloA »

Thank you 01micko for this release: very 'em 'speedy'' :)

I have a little issue with Mplayer (1.0.4) retaining the sound card preferences. I can resolve this by choosing the correct card each time I open the application, but thought I'd ask the question anyooohs....
Has a 'fix' been reported for this yet; as I am coming up empty on successive searches?

I still retain the sound through HDMI for any system sounds, so I don't think it is the same issue which results in the total loss of all sound that some are reporting...

@Lale: A few suggestions in this thread you may want to try http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51456

01micko

#519 Post by 01micko »

You can now update PPM and get gnome-mplayer-1.0.5 (although it will not likely show)

You can get it here:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-i486.pet

Also needed is gmtk:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... 5-i486.pet

and dconf:
http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.37/sal ... 86-1gv.txz

That should help.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pabloA

#520 Post by pabloA »

Upgraded without issue, and user settings remain 'set ' upon re-opening.

Thanks 01micko..:D

e2a: Was tempted to raise the GSettings error, but then a quick search reveals that you "refuse to compile against the gconf bloat!" - I'll get back to playing with my working 1.0.5 then :)

vicmz

#521 Post by vicmz »

GNOME MPlayer version built-in in Slacko doesn't work properly for me. When I open a video, I can listen to the sound but I get a black background instead of the video itself. I can see the video when I move the window, but resizing it the video gets distorted. This doesn't happen with version 1.0.2 which is what I'm using now, it works flawless.

The following was posted in the Spanish forum:
tayacha wrote:I want to use skype but it only detects the usb camera and not the built-in mike. When I run alsa wizard it detects only one sound card, sis si7012, When I run alsa config, it detects that sound card, and also detects the usb/audio of logitech. However, when I choose usb/audio, skype detects it, I can record but not play the sound (it doesn't detect si7012 card anymore)

Amgine

#522 Post by Amgine »

Slacko will not shutdown, it says it saving to sdb1 (USB Flash drive) the goes back to the desktop.

I have seen two threads so far.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75483

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75359

any ideas? My 1gb that also has Slacko works great.

Update: I did not try to fix it, there is one idea/ fix here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=75483

Right now I am using the upgraded Slacko, it has been working just fine.

eeepuppy

Touchpad and wireless connection

#523 Post by eeepuppy »

torgo wrote:Hi folks. I mentioned a Slacko driver issue in a thread on the Beginners forum, and someone suggested that you might want to know about it here in this thread as well.

The device is the Tenda W311U wireless-N USB adapter. It works in Lucid 5.28 but not in Slacko.

Lucid tries to load the rt2800usb module. That one doesn't work. But if you prevent rt2800usb from loading, Lucid also loads the rt2870sta module - and that one works fine when configured with the Network Wizard.

But in Slacko, neither module works. In the Network Wizard, it fails when you click to Scan for wireless networks. The error message is:

Error!
Failed to raise interface wlan0.
Failed command was: ifconfig wlan0 up
Error returned was:
ifconfig: SIOCSIFFLAGS: Operation not permitted

Simple Network Setup shows the wlan0 interface on the list (using either rt2800usb or rt2870sta) but gives the "Failed to activate interface wlan0" error window as soon as you click the wlan0 button.

Hopefully that's enough information to mean something to somebody. I'm also trying out other modules, but so far none of them will run the device.
I have the same error with HP pavilion dv6 i7 intel 8GB ram and ralink rt3090 pci wireless card.
The second problem i encountered is with flSynclient 0.6. In this case i cannot use the two/three finger touch enabling the right/center button emulation.
I only can use the one fingher touch for left or right or center button (with windows7 i can use all features of my touchpad).

PugPup

GParted missing dependencies - not in repository?

#524 Post by PugPup »

I can't seem to get GParted to work in Slacko Puppy.

When i run "GParted" in Terminal, I get "/usr/sbin/gpartedbin: error while loading shared libraries: libgtkmm-2.4.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"

Libgtkmm-2.4.so.1 doesn't seem to be apparent in the repositories. Am I just missing something?

I'm running Slacko 5.3.1 in a hard drive installation on a Lenovo G550 Laptop. I have the Slackware, Salix & Slacky repositories loaded. I'm no more than an intermediate n00b at Puppy, so please forgive any cluelessness.

Just want to add that I'm looking forward to the future of Slacko!

proebler

Conflict between Figaro's fpm2 and clipboard manager

#525 Post by proebler »

Hi, I hope that this is the appropriate place to post this:

I have come across a problem using Figaro's fpm2 password manager under Slacko 5.3.1.
There appears to be a conflict between fpm2 and the clipboard manager (CM).
Slacko by default runs Parcellite CM at startup.

When all three of Parcellite's 'Clipboards' preferences in the 'Behavior' tab are enabled [i.e. Use Copy, Use Primary, Synchronize clipboards], then some limited functionality only for fpm2 is possible.
The functions which work that way are the copying of 'User' or of 'Pass' by way of the toolbar icons or through the 'Edit' menu.
However, REPEATED paste/Ctrl+V or mouse middle click on (any) target is possible because fpm2's 'Clear target after paste' preference setting does not work when CM is running [CM retains the copied data].
fpm2's 'Jump' function will copy both Password and Username, but ONLY the Password can then be pasted by either paste/Ctrl+V or mouse middle click [depending on fpm2's 'Launcher' preference settings]. And again, REPEATED pasting is possible.
fpm2's 'Copy Both' function [from the 'Edit' menu] will work similarly to the 'Jump' function.

Any change to the above Parcellite 'Clipboards' preferences prevent ANY copy/paste from fpm2.

I have used fpm2 under Lucid 5.2.5 without a problem.
The reason: Lucid's CM (Glipper) is not loaded at startup.
If Glipper is run, then the same problem as in Slacko is encountered.

In addition to CM preventing proper functioning of fpm2, running the two together seems to be creating a security risk.
If for example fpm2's 'Jump' function is used, then CM retains both the Username and the Password and makes them available for viewing in cleartext. What's more, it appears that Parcellite's preferences can be set so that clipboard content will be saved . Username(s) and Pasword(s) could thus be made visible through CM in subsequent sessions.

It seems wrong in principle, that data which is supposed to be stored securely in fpm2 may become accessible through CM.

Can't say whether fpm2 or CM is to blame for the situation. There may be valid reasons for what CM does and how it does it. But my feeling is, that the CM should not be permitted to run when fpm2 is in use.

As for my own setup, I have now removed the symlink to /usr/bin/parcellite in /root/Startup/.
That way, Figaro's fpm2 works as I think it ought to.

Cheers

PenguinPupLin

#526 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Installed the xscreensaver-512 from the Slacko 5.3.1 repository, it said missing dependency gtkdialog. Then downloaded the gtkdialog-4.0.8.0-i486-s from PPM, yet checking dependencies still showed gtkdialog is missing.

Same for lha-114i and zoo-2.10_22 archiving utilities. I'm trying to unzip .gz file which XArchive doesn't seem to recognize, eg firstrun-1.9.6.gz

Any help appreciated.

don570

Audacity(1.3.14)

#527 Post by don570 »

The latest version of Audacity(1.3.14) worked nicely for me.
This version only works in slacko.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 449#604449

PenguinPupLin

#528 Post by PenguinPupLin »

Installed Slacko 5.3.1 for my friend's PC with Geforce FX5200 graphics card,then upgraded the nv driver to Nvidia-173 recommended by Slickpet>drivers, and glxgears was running superfast.

After that installed the xscreensavers-5.12 from PPM which also required dependencies glew-1.5.7 and mesa-7.9.2 (which i later upgraded to mesa-7.10.2-s from Slacko repo). However,this seems to break glxgears which returned "Error: couldn't get an RGB, Double-buffered visual" and glxinfo also reported "Error:couldn't find RGB GLX visual or fbconfig".

Need help resolving this issue. TIA.

Added: Also noticed running Pupclockset manager and/or JWM configuration cause the clock_analog widget (in ver 2.4.0) to disappear from the desktop

Latest:-
Solved: Glxgears problem resolved by reinstalling the Nvidia173 pet.

Disappearing clock_analog widget still there. Anybody has any idea why or how to fix it?

mark

#529 Post by mark »

I just installed Slacko Puppy 5.3.1 onto an Asus Eee PC

All good so far except that after the first shutdown any further attempt at shutdown results in the window manager restarting. I was able to shut down by exiting the window manager to the command shell & using ctrl-alt-delete.

Edit: I saved changes to /dev/sda1 while shutting down.

The problem appears to be in the rc.shutdown script when it kills processes that use /initrd/pup_rw

I'm going to try racy 5.2.2 instead...

bwh1969

Need help getting Trinity to run

#530 Post by bwh1969 »

I have the trinity sfs loading but when I follow steps to link libraries, I get
#ldconfig
bash: ldconfig:command not found

when I drop out of X, If I run
# startkde

I get a bunch of text referring to libGL.1.so not being found.

Aside from this, I have this running on an oddball handtop and everything works which is an amazing feat.

OQO model 02

The biggest issue is to blacklist via_agp so that wireless and usb work. To the bootloader options add

via_agp.blacklist=yes
Start with vesa and 640x480 (fix later down)

Important trick is to have a usb mouse handy b/c the trackstick is nuts. Easy to fix with creating a script in startup to load the ps2 device as basic

#!/bin/bash
sleep 0.5
modprobe -r psmouse
sleep 0.5
modprobe psmouse proto=bare
Once you restart X, you will be good to go.

The sleep times are important: without it, the erratic trackstick stays. If it is longer, the keyboard becomes random.

I tried adding this to /etc/modules.conf like in ubuntu in /etc/modules but it did not resolve the issue. options psmouse proto=bare has no effect

X will still look weird with the screen too small.

Add a modeline under the monitor section and change sync values

HorizSync	30-92
VertRefresh	50-85
Modeline	"800x480" 40 800 864 928 1088 480 481 484 509 +HSync
Then make every reference of 640x480 into 800x480. Restart X. You should have working trackstick along with the screen looking nice.

EDIT: I changed driver to openchrome and went to thw quickpet and installed mesa. I put

Load   "dri" 
at the "modules section of xorg.conf

then

Section "DRI"
	Group 0
	Mode	0666
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
    	Option 		"Composite" "Enable"
EndSection