Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
playdayz

#256 Post by playdayz »

Not a bug, but Google Chrome 15 for Slacko. (Iron 15 runs a couple of weeks behind Chrome, so it will be ready soon.)

ftp://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/pet ... slacko.pet

grump

#257 Post by grump »

... Google Chrome 15 for Slacko. ...
Well that was a bit annoying. Downloaded and ran the .pet and lost my bookmarks and 'new tab' links from Google Chrome 14.nn.nn. I uninstalled 15 with PPM hoping to get back to 14 but it had gone.

I expected it to work like it does in Windows - ie updates whatever version is already there, keeping the settings and add-ins etc. Anyway, I'll get over it. Lesson for me - backup bookmarks. But I'm happy to have 15 - thanks for that.

A couple of days later: - I've given up on 15. They changed the way the 'New Tab' page works so the tabs cannot be pinned to the page or re-ordered by dragging them around. Now gone back to 14 and happy again.
Last edited by grump on Mon 21 Nov 2011, 02:14, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#258 Post by Lobster »

I expected it to work like it does in Windows
:) We have to learn the hard way.

Yep always export and save your bookmarks.
Looking forward to trying Chrome browser. :)
I know being a beginner again is humiliating.
I feel like that every day. Trying to program in some new language or run a phone that a 5 year old would have no problem with.

. . . a little humility . . . .
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... ?p=526#526

Thanks guys . . . looking forward to Slacko 5.3.1 this coming Funday/Monday . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Iguleder

#259 Post by Iguleder »

01micko - will you introduce any library/version changes in 5.3.1? I'm currently building a Trinity SFS (yes, that's right!) on 5.3 and I don't want to recompile this complex beast once more for 5.3.1.

It took about a week to get it to build, because all of the trouble I ran into. Now I also decided to move Qt3 to /opt/qt3 (since we all love modularity, don't we?) and keep Trinity itself in /opt/trinity. This caused lots of mess.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

01micko

#260 Post by 01micko »

Iguleder wrote:01micko - will you introduce any library/version changes in 5.3.1?
No
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

grndoor

Trinity KDE

#261 Post by grndoor »

Iguleder:

You can easily make ".sfs" files for the Trinity KDE stuff used in the latest Porteus-v1.1rc1-i486.iso as follows:

Download the latest Porteus-v1.1rc1-i486.iso from:

http://porteus.org/distro-download/down ... 2-bit.html in the "testing/Porteus-v1.1-rc1" directory.

Click on the .iso file and extract "004-kde.xzm" and "005-kdeapps.xzm" from the "porteus/base" directory.

Extract the contents:

unsquashfs -f -dest kde 004-kde.xzm

unsquashfs -f -dest kdeapps 005-kdeapps.xzm

Create "kde.sfs" and "kdeapps.sfs" files:

mksquashfs kde kde.sfs

mksquashfs kdeapps kdeapps.sfs

You can use "sfs_load" from "sfs_load-1.3.pet" to try them out in Slacko.

KDE then seems to be fully operational.

Best Regards,

Grndoor

Brown Mouse

#262 Post by Brown Mouse »

Applied Slacko 5.3.0.1-Main.iso.delta and used existing savefile(something I don't make a habit of) to test.
All seems to run well.

Not sure quite what is occurring here and wondered if anyone else can confirm this.
If I insert a normal audio cd and click on the drive to play it,the drive mount led is not present and the cd/dvd drive door can be opened during playback.
However,if I insert a dvd containing mp3's,the mount led is present(as it should be) and the cd/dvd drive door is locked.
I should mention that I also see this in Lucid 528.

bigpup

#263 Post by bigpup »

If I insert a normal audio cd and click on the drive to play it,the drive mount led is not present and the cd/dvd drive door can be opened during playback.
This is normal for a commercial product audio or movie CD/DVD or a burned audio or movie disc. It has to do with how the files are installed on disc.
It is sort of special mounting process for reading contents of disc for playing.
You can do a full mount of disc, by right clicking on drive icon on desktop, and selecting run Pmount.
Last edited by bigpup on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 16:56, edited 2 times in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Brown Mouse

#264 Post by Brown Mouse »

bigpup wrote:
This is normal for a commercial product audio or movie CD/DVD. It has to do with how the files are installed on disc.
It is sort of special mounting process for reading contents of disc for playing.
You can do a full mount of disc, by right clicking on drive icon on desktop, and selecting run Pmount.
Oh well,we live and learn :o

Thanks bigpup

Edit
Still unable to mount audio discs even using Pmount.
Last edited by Brown Mouse on Sun 20 Nov 2011, 17:48, edited 1 time in total.

gerry

#265 Post by gerry »

@01micko- thanks, yes, setting resolution from personal preferences worked. The first one it offered me did not work (59.8Hz frame rate), but then it offered me 60Hz, which worked.

gerry

#266 Post by gerry »

@01micko- I installed MESA-GLX, as recommended by the drivers test in Slickpet. Then....every time I tried to connect to a website, Seamonkey closed down.

Got rid of that, just staying with standard issue radeon for now.

The video controller is reported as ATI M66GL [ATI Mobility FireGL V5250].

Brown Mouse

#267 Post by Brown Mouse »

Still no go with flsynclient on an Acer Aspire One netbook using 5.3.0.1
I can set up Touchpad Sensitivity,save settings but once rebooted the settings are back at zero and the cursor is uncontrollable.

01micko

#268 Post by 01micko »

Brown Mouse wrote:Still no go with flsynclient on an Acer Aspire One netbook using 5.3.0.1
I can set up Touchpad Sensitivity,save settings but once rebooted the settings are back at zero and the cursor is uncontrollable.
Try again Brown Mouse and then run "flloopfix" in a terminal, restart X. Flsynclient is being troublesome with later Xorg versions, crashes X in some cases.

Brown Mouse

#269 Post by Brown Mouse »

01micko wrote:
Brown Mouse wrote:Still no go with flsynclient on an Acer Aspire One netbook using 5.3.0.1
Try again Brown Mouse and then run "flloopfix" in a terminal, restart X. Flsynclient is being troublesome with later Xorg versions, crashes X in some cases.
Hi Mick

Tried it a few times but I've lost the touchpad altogether at the moment,so on a usb mouse :)

01micko

#270 Post by 01micko »

Brown Mouse,

Ok, so it failed (miserably :o ). Delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synaptics.conf. Restart X. You should then be back at Square 1.

Next you can try flSynclient-0,7 in PPM. You will get 2 menu entries. I'll need to fix that.

Brown Mouse

#271 Post by Brown Mouse »

01micko wrote:Brown Mouse,

Ok, so it failed (miserably :o ). Delete /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/synaptics.conf. Restart X. You should then be back at Square 1.

Next you can try flSynclient-0,7 in PPM. You will get 2 menu entries. I'll need to fix that.

Sorted,thanks Mick!Followed your instructions and it now works a treat even after two reboots. :D

telltom

pcrypt

#272 Post by telltom »

anyone have it working?

01micko

#273 Post by 01micko »

telltom,

I posted a patch here yesterday.

When you post a bug about Slacko it might be better to post in this thread for 2 reasons.

1) it may help others with the same problem who didn't see your post.

2) if I did not see your post at the time I did (not long after you posted) it may have got accidentally ignored :o

Hope the solution resolves your issue.

Q5sys

#274 Post by Q5sys »

I'm working on trying to build Gnome3 for Slacko and Im running into an error after getting everything compiled.

Code: Select all

Clutter-CRITIAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: XServer appears to lack the required GLX support
Window manager error: Unable to initialize Clutter.
any ideas, tried google searching but that doesnt give me any meaningful results. Im not sure exactly what all you tweaked with xserver to get it to run... any ideas of a way around this problem?

strace output attached.
Attachments
strace_output_gnome-shell.tar.gz
(10.5 KiB) Downloaded 316 times

01micko

#275 Post by 01micko »

Q5sys wrote:I'm working on trying to build Gnome3 for Slacko and Im running into an error after getting everything compiled.

Code: Select all

Clutter-CRITIAL **: Unable to initialize Clutter: XServer appears to lack the required GLX support
Window manager error: Unable to initialize Clutter.
any ideas, tried google searching but that doesnt give me any meaningful results. Im not sure exactly what all you tweaked with xserver to get it to run... any ideas of a way around this problem?

strace output attached.
What graphics driver are you using? If you use one of the proprietary ones (ati/nvidia) install mesa first. Well I guess you must have because you would have needed the mesa headers :?

By the way, the xserver is stock slackware, with some very minor changes to get synaptics working (the driver only).

---

In other news iguleder's trinity works in the ALT (xz compression) version of Slacko. I'll repackage a gz compressed version for the MAIN distro.