Slacko Puppy 5.3.1

Please post any bugs you have found
KRuCi8L3

#166 Post by KRuCi8L3 »

I suggest you spend a little more time learning how Puppy works before trying to do anything.
There is a learning curve we all had to deal with.
Yes, thanks. Definately! As I stated in a previous post I am very much still in study mode. :) And that first noob help post is superb! But I am one of those wierdos who just HAS to go ahead and break a few things before really seeing the big picture. But surely a boot-up from live cd and simple attempt at a common savefile operation aren't to be viewed as doing anything very special, right? If that were so, then maybe I need to re-think my desire to learn more about puppy and linux in general... nhhhaaa, maybe not. ;)
You said you used heavy encryption option to make it.
That could be the problem. Encryption of save files is a very old option and from posts I have read, I do not think it works well anymore with the newer versions of Puppy.
I would delete the old save file and make a new one, but do not use encryption option.
Really?! How depressing! And confusing as there remains a clearly worded suggestion to USE heavy encryption in the savefile dialog. Should that be thrown out to avoid a trap, or possibly re-worded to include caveat or warning?
Also, when using an install of Puppy that uses a save file. Best to make the save file first before installing any other programs.
That is just what I did. Immediate, and brief looksie, with an abortive attempt to get dev working then a shutdown to create the save. I distinctly had that in mind as I want a "pristine" clean slate savefile to use in case of corruption, fumble-fingering or whatever.

Thanks for the good advice. :)

bigpup

#167 Post by bigpup »

KRuCi8L3,

Please do not stop exploring and dive into the world of Puppy Linux.
I just wanted to make sure you had your life jacket on before you got to deep.
Dive in the water is fine. :D

Yes making a save file is very basic and it should work with no problems. Most of the time it does. When someone has problems, it is hard to figure out what is causing it.

Not all versions of Puppy work on all computers.

We only know what you tell us, so sometimes we offer suggestions on what could be happening. Sometimes your problem is a bug no one has come across before.

The encryption idea was just something to try and see what happens. If it worked or did not, then we would have more info to go on.
ext2 savefile to 2+gb partition (ext4) of a 4gb usb flashdisk seemed to go well
Specific details of how partitioned.
Putting save file on first partition is best.

Another idea.
One thing about making save file program. It does not give warning, if you choose size of save file that is too big for available free space. It will tell you how much free space, but not stop you from choosing a save file size too big.
If you do, it will seem to work OK, but of course it will not make a good save file.
Last edited by bigpup on Sat 05 Nov 2011, 19:53, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Q5sys

#168 Post by Q5sys »

Q5sys wrote:anyone manage to get slapt-get working or not? Just wondering as it'd be alot eaiser to be able to grab random libs that are missing with it once we start fine tuning our individual systems.
Unfortunately I've been so busy I havent been able to work with slacko much beyond installing it last weekend. :(
anyone got any ideas?

gcmartin

#169 Post by gcmartin »

Q5sys wrote: ... alot eaiser to be able to grab ... anyone got any ideas?
Saw this. He mentions getting packages.

It might help.

John51

5.3 Problems

#170 Post by John51 »

System is not recognizing an SD card
Bcrypt isn't accepting passwords
HP nc4400 and MSI Wind120

I've been following Puppy's evolution now for about 3 years. I've tried a few different distros but keep coming back to Puppy. However in that 3 years the biggest improvements I've seen are Frisbee and Wbar. Seems too often the most conspicuous change is the background art. Do we really need several different "breeds" of Puppy, and is there enough expertise and energy out there to support 3+breeds?

KRuCi8L3

#171 Post by KRuCi8L3 »

Thanks bigpup, heaps (no I mean that... really big heaps)! Excellent tips. After work today I plan to try again. Your advice is appreciated.
When someone has problems, it is hard to figure out what is causing it.
Sometimes your problem is a bug no one has come across before.
Sometimes I feel exactly like that (I'm a bug no one has ... oh, forget it.)
The encryption idea was just something to try and see what happens. If it worked or did not, then we would have more info to go on.
I see. Mad scientist experimentation 101, gotta love it! ;)
Specific details of how partitioned.
Putting save file on first partition is best......If you do, it will seem to work OK, but of course it will not make a good save file.
Aha. I think you may have poked the potato right in the eye on that one. The file WAS put on the second partition and was close to max cap of the disk. Also, the flashdisk was partitioned with a different gparted version from an earlier puppy months ago. I will try again from live cd and wipe/reconfigure that flashdisk this afternoon. Thanks ever so much!

James C

#172 Post by James C »

Especially for 01micko....... :)
Attachments
Slacko-530-k-3.10.png
(20.27 KiB) Downloaded 1750 times

Q5sys

#173 Post by Q5sys »

Another question for the vets. On my past systems the Alt-Tab key combo would be used to cycle the active window. However it always would cycle through the windows from most recent active to the very last used. However on slacko it seems to just change in order of things in my taskbar.
When I have a ton of windows open it was nice to be able to Alt-Tab between the last two active windows.. Instead of having to cycle between every program to just use the last two.
Any way to change this? Ive searched online but havent found much.
Thanks guys.

EDIT:

In some free time today I got Slapt-get up and running with the gslapt interface. Thread HERE

dawg

#174 Post by dawg »

Serial mouse problem here - can't get it working at all in Slacko. It works fine in Lupu (5.2.8) and Wary (5.2), though.

Any ideas?
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

bigpup

#175 Post by bigpup »

dawg wrote:Serial mouse problem here - can't get it working at all in Slacko. It works fine in Lupu (5.2.8) and Wary (5.2), though.

Any ideas?
Try menu->setup->mouse/keyboard wizard->choose type of mouse

May have to reboot or do a restart X server if you change any settings.
YaPI(any iso installer)

dawg

#176 Post by dawg »

Bigpup, actually, I forgot to mention I had tried that and it's the same, but thanks..

So I went and messed with the module priorities, and still no luck.
I then tried messing with the Xorg settings similarly as described here: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... -a-757321/ But no luck at this point...I might retry again later sometime.
I used to only like Puppy as a friend, but now I think our relationship is starting to develop into something more... :D

bigpup

#177 Post by bigpup »

SilvioTOO wrote:Same problem here...

bigpup wrote:Slacko 5.3 main

Still having this problem.

Frugal install to USB flash drive
Save option - save to partition sdb1(the flash drive)

menu->shutdown->reboot or poweroff

Goes to saving session to sdb1 message

Then back to desktop.

Does not poweroff computer or reboot.

If you make a save file to flash drive. no problems.

This only happens if you use save option save to sdb1 (the flash drive)
Possible solution to this bug here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73225
YaPI(any iso installer)

01micko

#178 Post by 01micko »

A Puppy Package Manager bug has been reported that seems to list the entire repo for certain apps as dependencies :shock:

I have found that bug and have attached a fix, Barry has been informed and the fix will filter through to woof.

It is recommended that everyone use this patch if you require apps from slackware/salix/slacky repos.
Attachments
petget_patch-1s.pet
(2.91 KiB) Downloaded 630 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Jim1911

Bootmanager Problem

#179 Post by Jim1911 »

Fresh frugal installation on an ext3 partition. Created a 3fs save file upon reboot. No extra progams are installed.

Bootmanager configure bootup gives an error (see below) when you try to choose which extra SFS files to load at bootup. I received the same error message at the opening screen after rebooting to create a save file.
The error message shows if the /mnt/home directory contains too many SFS files. (See /mnt/home directory below.) I did not determine how many SFS need to be present to generate the error, however, when I reduced the number of SFS files to 8, it operates.

Another problem that I've noticed and reported previously is that shutdown reboots instead of shutting power off when installed on an ext4 partition. This problem does not occur with this ext3 frugal installation.

Regards,
Jim
Attachments
image-3.jpg
(66.03 KiB) Downloaded 1716 times
image-2.jpg
(40.75 KiB) Downloaded 1306 times

chrismt

#180 Post by chrismt »

Please update Pidgin

The latest version is 2.10

The version in the repo is 2.7 and there are a lot of improvements and fixes in 2.10 :(

http://pidgin.im

Brown Mouse

Re: Bootmanager Problem

#181 Post by Brown Mouse »

Jim1911 wrote:
Another problem that I've noticed and reported previously is that shutdown reboots instead of shutting power off when installed on an ext4 partition. This problem does not occur with this ext3 frugal installation.

Jim
I have mine installed on an ext4 but I don't see this problem.

chrismt

#182 Post by chrismt »

I am not sure.

But I guess Firefox has this lag on Puppy when I use Wlan.

I bought a new wlan adapter but still there is this lag.

Perhaps, developers don't keep in mind the way browsers utilize the network connection in Linux when building puppy so that browsers get screwed up trying to display pages.

Perhaps, I am wrong :D

bigpup

#183 Post by bigpup »

chrismt wrote:I am not sure.

But I guess Firefox has this lag on Puppy when I use Wlan.

I bought a new wlan adapter but still there is this lag.

Perhaps, developers don't keep in mind the way browsers utilize the network connection in Linux when building puppy so that browsers get screwed up trying to display pages.

Perhaps, I am wrong :D
Explain what you mean by lag?
I use Wlan. Seems OK to me.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

Xsane issue Threshold not available.

#184 Post by Béèm »

Xsane issue Threshold not available.
Having been done some testing for Peasyscan, I discovered an issue in Xsane lineart (binary) mode.

When selecting the scan mode panel, I don't have the threshold bar.
My device is epson2

I have it in Icepuppy 012 and when discussing with rsrcn51 he advised to use the libsane-epson2.so.xxx library files in /usr/lib/sane from Ice to slacko 5.3

I did so and I could use the threshold bar.

Code: Select all

# ls -l libsane-epson2*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     24 2011-11-10 08:17 libsane-epson2.so -> libsane-epson2.so.1.0.20
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     24 2011-11-10 08:17 libsane-epson2.so.1 -> libsane-epson2.so.1.0.20
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 162780 2011-05-26 17:18 libsane-epson2.so.1.0.20
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 160800 2011-10-24 13:39 libsane-epson2.so.1.0.21org
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     24 2011-10-24 13:32 libsane-epson2.so.1org -> libsane-epson2.so.1.0.21
#
The library files ending in xxxxorg are the slacko 5.3 ones.
The others (which work) the ICE puppy 012 ones

I thought I just mention this for those who are using a epson2 backend.
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

Brown Mouse

#185 Post by Brown Mouse »

I'm seeing these two lines before x starts. :?

-sh: /etc/profile.d/qt4.csh: line 10: syntax error near unexpected token `('
-sh: /etc/profile.d/qt4.csh: line 10: ` foreach qtd ( /usr/lib/qt-* )'