Slacko RC2

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sage

#91 Post by Sage »

What mess?
inter alia
Despite the helpful little panel that springs up warning about SiS chipset issues, neither 'Yes' + dedicated drivers nor 'No' produces an XOrg picture. VESA works, though. This continues to be the only variant, or any other distro including Slackcentral, that refuses to detect/work with the SiS Mirage chipset. There must be a simple answer somewhere? Sadly not my department to understand these matters.

Retrovol settings are half-cock: please turn everything ON by default. Notwithstanding, Woofwoof still doesn't work when I turn up the wick. I noticed that this stopped working on new Wary and reported it. Must be a Woof issue?

Confirm that ALSAWizard not working, vide supra.

Third time of asking: please can the localisation panel be cast with consistency: presently, we have US peripherals with Perth time. Is it asking too much to settle on GMT, even for an American developer! That does not make things easy for Brits if that causes mental strife for Yankies because we are on BST right now.

Sage

#92 Post by Sage »

Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects
Slacko RC2
I don't see any mention of a development thread. Time to start listening to your target audience - the great unwashed users. Without them sine qua non.
Use an email or PM if you want to exchange intricate technical details, that's what BK does and he runs an open blog, too.

01micko

#93 Post by 01micko »

01micko wrote: What mess?
Actually I'll explain.

This release is way over due. People come to expect the latest since Lupu set such a high benchmark. Delay is bad for that.

The sound wizard bug is probably the worst. Nothing else has changed. My fault entirely. No excuses.
Changes have been very minimal since B4. If something isn't working now and did in B4 then that is a bit of a shock. I have always maintained that the 2.6.37.6 version is the main version and the other offered as demand warranted. Most bugs are common to both, of course there will be different kernel bugs.. if the kernel devs had perfected the kernel then there would be no need for updates.

I'm not going to go through a big bunch of RC's. as a matter of fact release would of happened a week ago if I didn't have to go away for near 2 weeks working.

This has been a very long and tedious process which I have enjoyed and would hope that I have handled well. We are nearing completion, but in saying that.. does the job ever end? Of course not!

Cheers

PS: Sage I listen to everything, but of course some of it is noise.

PPS: This project is in it's infancy.. (gestation period?). It can't mature until it is born.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

jim3630

#94 Post by jim3630 »

slacko RC++ sys pic below is for comparison sake.

the lattest cut down dpups including geek pups that are a waste of time for the uninitiated or newbies unless you want to learn code, compiling, and kernels cannot boast of better resource use on my system at least.

01micko some begrudge your time spent on RC++ even though long term support is already provided in official puppies dedicated to older computers. RC++ is far less buggy than others and as said everything I use works.

looking only at this thread and several didn't post which version they are using but best can tell more problems are with k2.6.37.6 users. Thus, less time required to polish up those few RC++ users and could post as finale.

--------

once past EDC c-section saves lives.
Attachments
slacko.png
(5.12 KiB) Downloaded 968 times

playdayz

#95 Post by playdayz »

This project is in it's infancy.. (gestation period?). It can't mature until it is born.
Very well said Mick. Even right out of the gate Slacko is an advance on Lupu, since it has a much more advanced infrastructure and from what I have seen it is already the cleanest Puppy ever.

MinHundHettePerro

#96 Post by MinHundHettePerro »

01micko wrote:PS: Sage I listen to everything, but of course some of it is noise.

PPS: This project is in it's infancy.. (gestation period?). It can't mature until it is born.
After conception, it's alive :wink:. Upon birth, the horrific possibility of a miscarriage is obliterated ................. :wink: :).

omnes lectores

The thoughtless European user of a nationalised keyboard would extrapolate the nationalisation of k/b layouts to encompass the world at large - the sage knows that the lion part of non-European users utilise (how horrid the thought) US keyboards ............

quidquid :)/ MHHP
[color=green]Celeron 2.8 GHz, 1 GB, i82845, many ptns, modes 12, 13
Dual Xeon 3.2 GHz, 1 GB, nvidia quadro nvs 285[/color]
Slackos & 214X, ... and Q6xx
[color=darkred]Nämen, vaf....[/color] [color=green]ln -s /dev/null MHHP[/color]

emil

seamonkey open containing folder

#97 Post by emil »

Small glitch with seamonkey and fix by trapster here
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72772

Ray MK

#98 Post by Ray MK »

Hi 01micko

From a n00b user viewpoint rc2 is a very good and very usable puppy.

I prefer rc2++ because it seems slightly faster and seems to use fewer resouces than rc2. Presume later kernel helps.

Running on my 8/9yr old Laptop - Acer TravelMate 243LC.
256mb ram, 2.5Ghz Celeron Proc, 800mb swap partition,
manual frugal to sda1 ext3. Wifi via Belkin pcmcia card.

Overall a luvly puppy - many thanks for all you do - much appreciated.

Very best regards - Ray

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#99 Post by Lobster »

playdayz wrote:Even right out of the gate Slacko is an advance on Lupu, since it has a much more advanced infrastructure and from what I have seen it is already the cleanest Puppy ever.
Some of the Lucid tips have been updated for Slacko :)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SlackoTips

What happens when pemasu gets hold of Slacko?
What will he call his beautification process?
Will Ttuuuxx strip it to below 100MB?
Will Iguleder compile it for ARM?
. . . Slacko . . . is just the beginning . . . :)

Conference calling, support and full refunds are now available with free phone facility
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyPhone
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

grump

#100 Post by grump »

How does the version numbering work in Slacko?

RC1 is 5.29.5
RC2 is 5.2.97

A bit confusing for a noob.

ps I've been using RC1 (live CD, savefile on NTFS HDD) for a while, tried RC2 (live cd) a couple of time but for some undefinable reason I'm not happy with it although I had no problems. I've gone back to RC1 (offers to upgrade the 2fs file). Old Toshiba laptop.

01micko

#101 Post by 01micko »

grump.. RC1 was a mistake with the versioning :oops: , shave been 5.2.25 sorry for inconvenience

jim3630

#102 Post by jim3630 »

installed rc2 2.6.37.6 to same hp box this time required broadcom_wl-k2.6.37.6.spup.pet, unable to get wifi connection using sns or connection wizard.

installed frisbee pet from menu. noted same sound problems as before, installed provided gnome-player.102.pet and rebooted.

frisbee acquired wifi and connection made per usual, sound problems gone.

even with above changes continues to use about same system resources as any cut down geekdog have tried and everything have used so far in slacko rc2 far works!

----------
trying to get apples to apples. when reboot rc2++ and surprised when checking htop resources a 20% difference in mem usage.
Attachments
slacko-rc++ after.reboot.png
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 1095 times
slacko-2.6.37.6.png
(5.19 KiB) Downloaded 812 times

playdayz

#103 Post by playdayz »

trying to get apples to apples. when reboot rc2++ and surprised when checking htop resources a 20% difference in mem usage.
Hey jim3630, That is very low memory usage either way, don't you think?

Stripe

#104 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

mick this is above a joke, have been downloading the devx with wget for six hours now and it is only up to 12%, it says it will take another 16 hours to finish so have just stopped it, have downloaded files from other sources no problem and russoodle downloaded the devx in Adelaide in about 5 mins. isp says there is no obstruction on their server. any ideas??

don

01micko

#105 Post by 01micko »

don.. did you try the link at smokey01? I really have no idea because after you raised the issue the first time I tried and got it via seamonkey in 10 minutes.

You can rename the old one, there is minimal difference, only dev files that changed are gnome-mplayer.

HTH

jim3630

#106 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote:
Hey jim3630, That is very low memory usage either way, don't you think?
playdayz you think?
I'm happy and both versions seems equally fast bouncing around the net
with app execution.

rc2++ recognizes all of my memory but honestly can't tell you when I noticed using the extra memory
or even use of the swap. I don't crunch numbers, do code breaking or play high graphics games on puppy.

3headed have used alot trying tell the difference between pemasu's kennel, slacko, and other
also rans.

3headed seems just as fast but has a quirk, seems to me a quirk could be something I'm not doing right,
of requiring to minimize a window before can raise another window that is already opened but minimized.

Stripe

#107 Post by Stripe »

Hi all

Thanks mick, I downloaded the iso no problem from smokey01 (just after you posted the mirrors thanks) (thanks grant) its just the devx I am after now as you never uploaded that. sorry to be a pain.

Will just rename the previous devx then

cheers

don

01micko

#108 Post by 01micko »

Stripe...

Here's a delta.. so little difference it fits on the forum!

Cheers

(fake gz extension :wink: )

Stripe

#109 Post by Stripe »

thanks mick

got it, now lets see what pets can be made

Don

Brown Mouse

#110 Post by Brown Mouse »

All running fantastic on my desktop.Cant wait for the final.
Well done and thanks 01micko :D