Offering additional server space for Puppy..

This is where threads concerning the development of the next version of Puppy live.
russoodle

Offering additional server space for Puppy..

#1 Post by russoodle »

Before i go bye-byes, i just want you guys to know i have some server space for our mighty Pupster and his related files, if you're interested.

Beclaws i don't have any programming skills, i figured this would be the best way for me to make a contribution to Puppy's ongoing well-being, especially since he's becoming bigger, fatter (ie. in popularity) and perhaps in need of more room in his playground.

I've put an introductory page at http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/. Just PM me and we'll go from there.

Cheers, all.. :D
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

WhoDo

#2 Post by WhoDo »

Great stuff, Suz! It might be nice to have a local mirror, too! Bandwidth and CPU usage permitting, high speed downloads are definitely a boost to Puppy's popularity. Thank you for the support!
[i]Actions speak louder than words ... and they usually work when words don't![/i]
SIP:whodo@proxy01.sipphone.com; whodo@realsip.com

russoodle

#3 Post by russoodle »

Hey Warren,

I eventually received a response from my hosting provider re CPU & Bandwidth usage:
Your answers are as follows:

a) There are no limitations as such, but a fair use policy applies. If you are using an excessive amount of server resources, we will ask you to remove any scripts etc. causing the server slowdown.
So, as Eric suggested, i should just dive in, go for it & see what happens :lol:

Unfortunately, despite my entreaties, torrent-hosting for poor Puppy is a big, fat NO - very disappointed about that.

edit: just read of the DoS attacks (Caneri, ecomoney) and Hostgator's latest dirty tricks....explains why i couldn't access any of puppylinux.org's pages either....there really are some low-life cockroaches out there :evil:

My connection here (adsl) is pathetically slow for some reason atm, (nope, haven't exceeded my limit), maybe the soggy weather, i don't know...anyway, hopefully over the next few hours i'll be able to mirror some files for Eric...
[i][color=Green][size=92]The mud-elephant, wading thru the sea, leaves no tracks..[/size][/color][/i]

NeroVance

#4 Post by NeroVance »

The more the merrier I say :D

I've thought about buying a hosting package, which I would setup an imageboard on, but perhaps I could add a puppy section to it, and add a place for file uploads, but they have to pertain to Puppy.

I could probably whip up something in PHP to create a decent uploading service for us perchance.

Then again, if there are file-size limits on my host, I could at least whip up something perhaps. I'll probably discuss that more in an actual topic.