Guy Dog 5.0.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pacer106

#91 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for the info stu90 & the script :) The other options did not work for me but theres good news gimp 2.7.2.sfs works in guydog :) managed to crop the background so it looks right.

image-3 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

pacer106

#92 Post by pacer106 »

Spent a little time tweaking the desktop & this is what I have now.

gd-scrnr1 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

Keef

Ndiswrapper

#93 Post by Keef »

Before you report a bug, check the facts.
The two included network setup tools (one of which mostly works :lol: ) both offer to try and setup Windows drivers. That tends to require ndiswrapper.
I just clicked the buttons, There'll be menu entries that point to none existent programs next. This is precious finger time I'm wasting. I could be picking my nose, or poking small children in the eye.
Just a thought....

mikeslr

Stu90's Wallpaper Chooser & XP portables

#94 Post by mikeslr »

Hi iguleder, Stu90 & All,

Thanks Stu90 for the Wallpaper chooser, which works fine. However, I wanted to add it to the menu by creating a desktop file in /usr/share/applications. The technique I generally use is to place a script calling the app in /my-applications/bin and identify that script in the desktop file's exec argument. [As the chooser was already a script, I just placed in in /my.../bin]. I've used this technique with several applications for example, opera unpacked to /mnt/home. Some worked, such as opera. Some didn't, such as the Wallpaper chooser. Except as noted below, with regard to those which failed, clicking the script in /my-applications/bin would start the app; while clicking the desktop file in /usr/share/applications wouldn't. Perhaps it's one of the quirks of emelfm2 I don't understand. [The desktop files would not start their respective applications even when permissions were changed to executable by all].
The exception are programs to run under wine. I was able to install Greendome's 1.3.28 pet, and using either wine's task manager or progman "install" an XP program, and thereafter create a functional menu entry via the above technique. But I was unable to configure emelfm2 to recognize the file ending "exe" as something to be opened with wine. Neither was I able to find any way to "install" a portable program under wine. Consequently, in order to run them I had to start wine's task manager and browse to the executable each time.
So I am compelled to ask the questions. It's not that I don't appreciate iguleder's efforts to explore other possibilities. Indeed, I believe they are essential if puppy is to remain both light-weight and functional. And its been (what?) eight years since Barry K decided for some reason on Rox-filer as his file manager of choice. 8 years in computer development, especially Linux development, is an eternity. But how much space is saved by using emelfm2 rather than rox-filer? And what are the advantages & disadvantages each has respecting the other?

Respectfully,

mikesLr

Edit: After a refreshing night's sleep, I seem to be more clear headed and adventurous. It occurred to me that it is "early days" in our exploration of emelfm2: that solutions for some of its quirks have already been found. And Guy Dog, using emelfm2, appears to be much more responsive than Rox-filer. So let's press on.
In any event, the more important challenge to overcome is the difficulty some of us have encountered in the conflict between Guy Dog and our Graphics Cards.
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.

superchook

Bug in xorgwizard?

#95 Post by superchook »

During the X setup I select in turn <probe>, <Test> and <Test_X_Now>.
X does not start and eventually I am returned to <FINISHED>
If I select <Tweak>, <Tweak_xorg.conf> and <Edit_xorg.conf> a dialogue appears which tells me that selecting <OK> will open the editor but instead it returns me to <Test_X_Now>. The VESA driver works OK.

I have noticed this bug in some other puplets.

James C

#96 Post by James C »

Still getting things figured out.......

ETP

Guy Dog 5.0.0

#97 Post by ETP »

Iguleder

Thanks for this pup which is great work and a welcome return to Puppy's roots. emelFM2 seems quirky initially comming from Rox but has real merit.

With regard to the distros's name how about:

" PAT THE DOG" :lol:

Thanks once again.

kros54

wbar

#98 Post by kros54 »

Which version is this wbar installed and which packages?
What are other dependencies?
You specify the location of these packages?
thanks and congratulations:
Kros54

stu90

Re: wbar

#99 Post by stu90 »

kros54 wrote:Which version is this wbar installed and which packages?
What are other dependencies?
You specify the location of these packages?
thanks and congratulations:
Kros54
wbar-2.2.2 > deps - imlib2
Iguleder has posted .pet and dependencies on this link:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 603#572603

Iguleder

#100 Post by Iguleder »

You can find all included applications here. These are the packages built automatically on top of the dpup base - the rest is Debian packages.

EDIT: I'm taking a break from 5.0.1 development, I'm on a vacation and I'm very tired from all those trips across the country.

I decided to do an experiment I wanted to do since long ago - build X automatically. Once I have this, I can also automate the compilation of underlying libraries (e.g libpng) and go all the way down to a minimal base of just a minimal devx with GCC from dpup, with the rest built as a true Puppy.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pacer106

Enjoy your break

#101 Post by pacer106 »

You should enjoy yourself Iguleder you have done quite a bit the last few months with dpup, Next Pup, & now Guy Dog 3 very nice puplets that will spring to life even more new puplets I believe :) I wish I could do a fraction of what you have lol.

So again enjoy a vacation :) it always helps to take time to yourself so you do not get burnt out on doing something I believe you truely enjoy doing :)

There will be plenty of backgrounds to look at when you are back & well rested :)

like this below just maybe with a logo

Iminent Danger by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

Iguleder

#102 Post by Iguleder »

Here's an improved emelFM2 package, guys. Forgot to upload it previously; delete ~/.config/emelfm2 before you install it.

Experienced users can use just /usr/bin/emelfm2 from this package - it contains the improved file type handling stuff.

mikeslr - sorry for not answering your question previously. emelFM2 is bigger than ROX-Filer, but consumes less memory in many cases, since you need only one window for all tasks, while ROX-Filer needs multiple windows. It also has lots of functionality (e.g archive handling) missing in ROX-Filer.

EDIT: small update - I'm building all the X server libraries at the moment, so far it's working. Once these are ready, Xorg_High and the actual X server will follow. Then I'll just have to build all drivers and here we have the smallest X server in Puppy ever :D

pacer106

#103 Post by pacer106 »

I started working on my own wbar icons. There are only a few so far but here is how they look. Planning on making a complete set for Guy Dogs wbar.

myicons by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

kros54

#104 Post by kros54 »

Stu90
wbar-2.2.2 > deps - imlib2
Iguleder has posted .pet and dependencies on this link:...
Many thanks, Stu90, they also try another puplet.

Kros54

pacer106

#105 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for the new emelFM2 pet Iguleder. it works great double clicking on pets installs them without any tweaking from me :) did not do a lot of testing on it though. Double clicking on a picture file did not open in feh like I hoped. I installed viewnior & it opened in it after a double click so I would say all is good to go on the basics :)

Iguleder

#106 Post by Iguleder »

Yep, there's a bug: put "feh" in /usr/local/bin/defaultimageviewer.

pacer106

#107 Post by pacer106 »

Found an issue with feh & .gif files.

Code: Select all

>defaultimageviewer "/mnt/home/working/nextras/anatomy.gif"  (10047)
feh WARNING: /mnt/home/working/nextras/anatomy.gif - No Imlib2 loader for that file format
feh - No loadable images specified.
>defaultimageviewer "/mnt/home/working/nextras/anatomy.gif" (10047) returned '1'

Use feh --help for detailed usage information

pacer106

#108 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for the new emelFM2 pet Iguleder. It is probably a fluke but after installing it my internet connection issues seem to have gone away. I can not imagine why installing it would fix the problem i was havin lol. Either way im a happy Guy Dog user.

Edit: I tested the new emelFM2 pet in Next Puppy & it works great. I posted the info & the pet on the Next Puppy thread for others to get if they would like to.

Again my connection issue that I was having with Next Pup has vanished it seems. Going to do a few reboots to test & make sure its not just a fluke.

mikeslr

Guy Dog now working with Ati Radeon 3100 Graphics -- Almost

#109 Post by mikeslr »

Hi Iguleder & All,

Wanting to try something, but not recalling that Guy Dog wasn't working on my main computer, see http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 545#573545 I unthinkingly booted into it without a problem. Not sure what I did wrong before, or right this time. But I'm happy.(':D')

mikesLr

Edit: Almost> Did something which might have closed all open windows. But thinking that I somehow had shifted into a 2nd desktop --I didn't know it had a second desktop-- I looked for a way to shift back. Unable to find one, I figured the best thing to do was restart X via Ctl-Alt-Backspace. That gave me the dreaded "No Signal" being received by my monitor, requiring a hard shutdown.

pacer106

#110 Post by pacer106 »

widescreen 1366x768
guydog-discovery by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

Here is the same cropped to a standard size.
guydog-discovery-1024x768 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr