Guy Dog 5.0.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Iguleder

#76 Post by Iguleder »

First of all, just to clarify - Guy Dog doesn't ship with ndiswrapper, so don't say it doesn't work well if you don't even have it :lol:

Before you report a bug, check the facts.
8-bit wrote:The problem there was that when I started Puppy Package Manager, I had no files displayed.
Run the update ... with an internet connection. If something with PPM fails - it's an upstream issue in Woof.
8-bit wrote:I would still have liked a regular menu along with the desktop right click one.
The right name is "JWM's menu".
I never did find the application for finding files on the system in the menu either.
Known issue with Searchmonkey, I'm investigating this at the moment.
8-bit wrote:And... I also had problems with no desktop displayed until I ran xorgwizard and selected visa.
Same, checking it out.
8-bit wrote:Also, I had a black screen for desktop until I clicked on the initial splash message that displayed at the top of the screen. Is that by design?
Yep, by design. Another Woof issue.
8-bit wrote:I also did not like not having a desktop background that did not look like something from WinXP.
If you hate having a desktop background different from the one in XP ... you want me to put XP's wallpaper in Puppy and ilegally distribute it?
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

8-bit

#77 Post by 8-bit »

No, I actually did not get across what I meant about the wallpaper.
I thought the one in GuyDog looked like the WinXP one and would have preferred it to be something else.
Also, I did not realize I had no internet connection when I clicked Update in Puppy Package Manager.
I know that the problem was that the code in Puppy Package Manager Update should check for a valid working internet connection and abort with a message rather than trying to create some files that end up empty and bork the restarting of Puppy Package Manager.

I point these things out and I am not trying to knock your great derivative. I am only trying to point out things that I think would help in bettering it.
So, to clairify, if I am setting at a prompt outside of X, what do I type to get JWM?
I was used to just typing "xwin jwm".

EDIT: I did not need ndiswrapper, And I assumed wrongly that an internet connection through my card was already set up.
As a matter of fact, when I did run the internet connection wizard, and used SNS (Simple Network Setup), it found my card fine and gave me a working internet connection.

Volhout

#78 Post by Volhout »

Iguleder wrote:If you hate having a desktop background different from the one in XP ... you want me to put XP's wallpaper in Puppy and ilegally distribute it?
Can you explain how I can change the wallpaper ? 8-bit tried to explain het yikes anything that looks like XP, and wants to differentiate from it.

Iguleder

#79 Post by Iguleder »

/usr/share/default.jpg or /usr/share/default.png.

pacer106

#80 Post by pacer106 »

I am working on a name based logo for Guy Dog 1 version is featured in the newest backgrounds I posted. Here are the 2 variations I have currently but looking to add a pup logo somehow. The black you see is not actually there.

newlogo1-524x383 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

newlogo-453x319 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

8-bit

#81 Post by 8-bit »

Iguleder wrote:/usr/share/default.jpg or /usr/share/default.png.
And here I thought it was /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg or /usr/share/backgrounds/default.png.

Oh well.

To change wallpaper, you would copy a new background jpg/png file to /usr/share/backgrounds as default.png or default.jpg.
If you like the current backgound image, be sure to copy it elsewhere first to keep it.

Iguleder

#82 Post by Iguleder »

Oops, a hurried mistake. I just got home, answering your question was the first thing I did :lol:

It's /usr/share/backogrounds/default.*.

EDIT: I found the cause for the NVIDIA issue! Try to install this package (usr /usr/local/petget/installpkg.sh :wink:), then run xorgwizard.
Attachments
xf86-video-nv-2.1.18.pet
(60.35 KiB) Downloaded 209 times

pacer106

#83 Post by pacer106 »

Here is my idea for a name based logo. The 1st one is the main base. The rest are ready to go & have variations in size.

The black you see should be transparent when downloaded.

gdlogo3-425x307 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

gdlogo3-446x319 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

gdlogo3-312x223 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

gdlogo3-250x179 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

gdlogo3-134x96 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

Iguleder

#84 Post by Iguleder »

FML! The new driver doesn't work either, for some unknown reason - it complains about some missing function, although it was built on Guy Dog, which makes it pretty much impossible.

I think we should roll back to the Squeeze X and stop using the backported one - this means X 7.5, very similar to the one from Lucid.

pacer106

#85 Post by pacer106 »

Background with a cleaner looking logo.

gdn1 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

pacer106

#86 Post by pacer106 »

gdn3 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

gdn4 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

stu90

#87 Post by stu90 »

Im not in Guy Dog right now but regarding wallpaper changer / setter - i think this little script should work.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh

IMAGES="/usr/share/backgrounds" 
feh -g 540x380 -d -S filename "$IMAGES" -A "feh --bg-scale /usr/share/backgrounds/%n"
Change the IMAGES= to what ever directory you like - to look though the wallpapers left click on the image or use the <-- and --> arrow keys, to set the wallpaper as background hit enter - or to set with a different scale right click > file > backgrounds.

Billtoo

Guy Dog 5.0.0

#88 Post by Billtoo »

The script works.

pacer106

#89 Post by pacer106 »

Yep the script works great :) 1 question though. stu90 are there any other options besides scale & center for setting the background? As can be seen in my screener it squishes the image a bit with scale & of course with center it does not fill whole screen.

image-2 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

stu90

#90 Post by stu90 »

pacer106 wrote:Yep the script works great :) 1 question though. stu90 are there any other options besides scale & center for setting the background? As can be seen in my screener it squishes the image a bit with scale & of course with center it does not fill whole screen.
Hi pacer106,
The options for Feh are - tiled, seamless, scaled, centered.

pacer106

#91 Post by pacer106 »

Thanks for the info stu90 & the script :) The other options did not work for me but theres good news gimp 2.7.2.sfs works in guydog :) managed to crop the background so it looks right.

image-3 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

pacer106

#92 Post by pacer106 »

Spent a little time tweaking the desktop & this is what I have now.

gd-scrnr1 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

Keef

Ndiswrapper

#93 Post by Keef »

Before you report a bug, check the facts.
The two included network setup tools (one of which mostly works :lol: ) both offer to try and setup Windows drivers. That tends to require ndiswrapper.
I just clicked the buttons, There'll be menu entries that point to none existent programs next. This is precious finger time I'm wasting. I could be picking my nose, or poking small children in the eye.
Just a thought....

mikeslr

Stu90's Wallpaper Chooser & XP portables

#94 Post by mikeslr »

Hi iguleder, Stu90 & All,

Thanks Stu90 for the Wallpaper chooser, which works fine. However, I wanted to add it to the menu by creating a desktop file in /usr/share/applications. The technique I generally use is to place a script calling the app in /my-applications/bin and identify that script in the desktop file's exec argument. [As the chooser was already a script, I just placed in in /my.../bin]. I've used this technique with several applications for example, opera unpacked to /mnt/home. Some worked, such as opera. Some didn't, such as the Wallpaper chooser. Except as noted below, with regard to those which failed, clicking the script in /my-applications/bin would start the app; while clicking the desktop file in /usr/share/applications wouldn't. Perhaps it's one of the quirks of emelfm2 I don't understand. [The desktop files would not start their respective applications even when permissions were changed to executable by all].
The exception are programs to run under wine. I was able to install Greendome's 1.3.28 pet, and using either wine's task manager or progman "install" an XP program, and thereafter create a functional menu entry via the above technique. But I was unable to configure emelfm2 to recognize the file ending "exe" as something to be opened with wine. Neither was I able to find any way to "install" a portable program under wine. Consequently, in order to run them I had to start wine's task manager and browse to the executable each time.
So I am compelled to ask the questions. It's not that I don't appreciate iguleder's efforts to explore other possibilities. Indeed, I believe they are essential if puppy is to remain both light-weight and functional. And its been (what?) eight years since Barry K decided for some reason on Rox-filer as his file manager of choice. 8 years in computer development, especially Linux development, is an eternity. But how much space is saved by using emelfm2 rather than rox-filer? And what are the advantages & disadvantages each has respecting the other?

Respectfully,

mikesLr

Edit: After a refreshing night's sleep, I seem to be more clear headed and adventurous. It occurred to me that it is "early days" in our exploration of emelfm2: that solutions for some of its quirks have already been found. And Guy Dog, using emelfm2, appears to be much more responsive than Rox-filer. So let's press on.
In any event, the more important challenge to overcome is the difficulty some of us have encountered in the conflict between Guy Dog and our Graphics Cards.
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 18 Oct 2011, 12:58, edited 2 times in total.

superchook

Bug in xorgwizard?

#95 Post by superchook »

During the X setup I select in turn <probe>, <Test> and <Test_X_Now>.
X does not start and eventually I am returned to <FINISHED>
If I select <Tweak>, <Tweak_xorg.conf> and <Edit_xorg.conf> a dialogue appears which tells me that selecting <OK> will open the editor but instead it returns me to <Test_X_Now>. The VESA driver works OK.

I have noticed this bug in some other puplets.