Guy Dog 5.0.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pacer106

#61 Post by pacer106 »

I forgot I changed my compression on saving jpg files so I am sorry if the quality of the previous 6 backgrounds is not so good. This guydog7 should be better. It is about 3 times bigger however.

guydog7 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

pacer106

#62 Post by pacer106 »

guydog8 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

gcmartin

PPM

#63 Post by gcmartin »

I ran PPM for 1st time
  1. allowed it to configure.
  2. restarted PPM
The repositories that are checked do not seem correct.

Questions
Which repositories do you recommend for this distro?
Is there a screen capture function built-in?

Thanks in advance
Last edited by gcmartin on Sun 16 Oct 2011, 18:49, edited 2 times in total.

pacer106

#64 Post by pacer106 »

guydog9 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog10 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

pacer106

#65 Post by pacer106 »

Here are some without the invisible dog.

guydog11 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog12 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog13 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog14 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

jim3630

#66 Post by jim3630 »

using out of mainstream apps lacking intuitiveness of use and without documentation which is easy to find such as a desktop link or menu entry help file will doom guydog to the geekdog.

pacer106 I appreciate your post how to get right click to open to work. yes can follow and get it working but also illustrates my point.

the first page states guydog's goal to compete with the official line of Puppy releases in speed, size and features. but that is a dream because Puppy's popularity is not based solely on those three qualities. ease of use I would venture is at least on par if not the over riding feature.

pacer106

#67 Post by pacer106 »

You are welcome for the info jim I understand your point & i believe Iguleder is going to address some of the emelfm2 eccentricities in the bug fix release that is planned.
EDIT: wow, it's amazing how ugly it is. All emelFM2's configuration is stored in a C file and gets printed with lots of unneeded calls to functions. I'm trying to create a huge patch for this file (well, that's the only way to do this) with sane defaults.

nooby

#68 Post by nooby »

Being aware of how often I totally fail at even easy thing
then Guydog worked very good. But I did not test much.
Just checked that basic things just worked.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Keef

ndiswrapper

#69 Post by Keef »

Trying to set up a Netgear WG111T usb wifi dongle failed because the Windows file 'was incompatible' with ndiswrapper, or words to that effect, according to a red dialog box that popped up. The file is fine, I've used with Puppies from 2.02 to Wary 5.2 without problem.
Network Wizard wouldn't work for me either - actually it is still running in the background, (checked with LXTask) but the front end has disappeared.

Compaq Armada M700 P3 450mhz 320mb RAM.

Billtoo

Guy Dog 5.0.0

#70 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install.

Sun 16 Oct 2011 Operating System: Guy Dog-5.0.0 Linux 2.6.39
0.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 0de1 (rev a1)
oem: NVIDIA product: GF108 Board - 1071v1p1 Chip Rev

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.10.4
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (373x231 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GT 430/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 285.05.09

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Core 0: 2592 1: 2592 2: 2592 3: 2592 MHz

# glxgears
58238 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11647.495 FPS
58358 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11671.553 FPS
58359 frames in 5.0 seconds = 11671.683 FPS

On first bootup the only way to get to the desktop on this pc was to
use the vesa driver at a low resolution.
Once the devx etc. were installed I was able to install the proprietary
Nvidia driver.

Same thing on the other pc I reported on page 2 of this thread.

NightBlaze

#71 Post by NightBlaze »

What I like about this pupplet is that already comes with de SDL and other graphic drivers. 'Cause I got a lot of problems installing that drivers in other pupplets. But I got some problems with Guy Fog too.

The first is that emelfm2 is more complex than ROX, and it's a bit weird for the people that are used to ROX. And when you install it you need to modify the files in /usr/bin to make it work from the menu.

I installed some games that work with SDL, and all worked fine.

The ndsiwrapper doesn't works well.

Then, I installed some things for make work Mupen64 in it, then saved the file, reboot, and got problems with X. Now I'm re-installing Guy Dog in my USB to see if it works.

It's a good pupplet, with a good mission, beautiful in general, with a really small size and works excellent.

But it's complex and more buggy compared with other pupplets, I'll test every version of GD because I see that can have a good and stable relase, but please, for the next a patched version of emelfm2, I really dislike it, I think that I'll still with my ol' and good ROX.

Still working on this awesome pupplet, I'm sure that you can fix those mistakes in GD.

TLM

#72 Post by TLM »

X will not start on my machine. Neither nv or vesa. Gives standard x failed to start message and then after a pause, it automatically logs into cli mode as root. Xorgwizard states that 2 nvidia drivers are available,however i am only seeing nv. However the nv driver has always worked with many other puppys i have ran.

My system specs:
Desktop PC
Biostar K8-VGA-M motherboard
Nvidia 6200 AGP graphics card.

Cannot get x to start by re running xorgwizard either. Have tried both Probe, Choose (nv) and Vesa options.
Really excited about this pup because I like openbox, but need to get x up and going. Any ideas? Thanks.

Volhout

plus and minus

#73 Post by Volhout »

Hai Iguleder,

I am curious as to why you are playing with the name of your derivatives. Next, Squeeze, Guy ? They must all have a slightly different purpose, but this one sure has some pro's. In many perspectives it is different from other puppies. Some are good, some I yet have to discover or judge.

Tested on Core2duo machine. If you need details, I'll send them, but I discovered no technical problems, so you may not even be interested.

What did I do:
- Use Universal installer (setting "Wary") to put the iso on a USB stick. Run from USB stick.

Nice:
- setup menu's use full screen resolution (not 640x480)
- network connect (eth1) flawless using SNS.
- screen, mouse, sound, smooth and fast. All works.
- Clean, orderly desktop. With one of the proposed (non-TeleTubbie) wallpapers it would set a whole newstyle trend.
- Wbar: I still have to find out how easy it is to put apps on it and remove apps, but the idea is nice (not new though).
- Mplayer and Deadbeef work great. I threw a bunch of test files on them, and saw no problems.

SoSo... You nag about Lucid needing to download browser and flash. But Guy still prompts you to download flash. I think it is good the way you do it, but you should not judge others who do also.

Needs learning curve:
- I wanted to play multimedia material from the USB stick. Opened EmelFM, and could not find the stick. I did not yet discover how to mount from emelFM. Luckilly I found pupmount in the menu.
- There is no filetype linking in emelFM yet. When I click on a avi, it should open it in Mplayer (I guess??).
I think this may be my learning curve, but to me it was not intuitive.

Is there a possibility to add a "full screen" option to Mplayer that respects geometry. The current one simply fills the whole screen.

I am sure you want to differentiate from standard Puppy, but having drive icons (mountable) on the desktop/bar is something I do like.

I am typing this from Guy, and must say, it is responsive. Good work. I will try further versions. Curious to what level you can bring this derivative. It could well be a guidance for other puppies, or become "the mainstream puppy".

pacer106

#74 Post by pacer106 »

guydog16 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog26 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog28 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog29 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog30 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog31 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

8-bit

#75 Post by 8-bit »

I took the bull by the horns and dumped emelfm2.
I found that ROX is available in Puppy Package Manager so I installed it along with it's dependencies and modified wbar to use ROX.
But that took a bit as I did not realize when I first ran GuyDog that I had no internet connection.
The problem there was that when I started Puppy Package Manager, I had no files displayed.
I clicked the update button and naturally it failed. I closed and tried to restart Puppy Package Manager and it refused to start for lack of the files that did not get created.
So in a round about way, I got an internet connection established and then ran update from a terminal from the petget directory.
I also added urxvt to the wbar.
It was a bit sparce and the items selected by default for it felt lacking.
I would still have liked a regular menu along with the desktop right click one.
Having to right click on the desktop to get a menu does not do it for me.
I never did find the application for finding files on the system in the menu either.
And... I also had problems with no desktop displayed until I ran xorgwizard and selected visa.
Also, I had a black screen for desktop until I clicked on the initial splash message that displayed at the top of the screen. Is that by design?

I also did not like not having a desktop background that did not look like something from WinXP.
A plain color background would have been preferable to that.

I guess some of the earlier Puppies spolied me though.

Iguleder

#76 Post by Iguleder »

First of all, just to clarify - Guy Dog doesn't ship with ndiswrapper, so don't say it doesn't work well if you don't even have it :lol:

Before you report a bug, check the facts.
8-bit wrote:The problem there was that when I started Puppy Package Manager, I had no files displayed.
Run the update ... with an internet connection. If something with PPM fails - it's an upstream issue in Woof.
8-bit wrote:I would still have liked a regular menu along with the desktop right click one.
The right name is "JWM's menu".
I never did find the application for finding files on the system in the menu either.
Known issue with Searchmonkey, I'm investigating this at the moment.
8-bit wrote:And... I also had problems with no desktop displayed until I ran xorgwizard and selected visa.
Same, checking it out.
8-bit wrote:Also, I had a black screen for desktop until I clicked on the initial splash message that displayed at the top of the screen. Is that by design?
Yep, by design. Another Woof issue.
8-bit wrote:I also did not like not having a desktop background that did not look like something from WinXP.
If you hate having a desktop background different from the one in XP ... you want me to put XP's wallpaper in Puppy and ilegally distribute it?
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

8-bit

#77 Post by 8-bit »

No, I actually did not get across what I meant about the wallpaper.
I thought the one in GuyDog looked like the WinXP one and would have preferred it to be something else.
Also, I did not realize I had no internet connection when I clicked Update in Puppy Package Manager.
I know that the problem was that the code in Puppy Package Manager Update should check for a valid working internet connection and abort with a message rather than trying to create some files that end up empty and bork the restarting of Puppy Package Manager.

I point these things out and I am not trying to knock your great derivative. I am only trying to point out things that I think would help in bettering it.
So, to clairify, if I am setting at a prompt outside of X, what do I type to get JWM?
I was used to just typing "xwin jwm".

EDIT: I did not need ndiswrapper, And I assumed wrongly that an internet connection through my card was already set up.
As a matter of fact, when I did run the internet connection wizard, and used SNS (Simple Network Setup), it found my card fine and gave me a working internet connection.

Volhout

#78 Post by Volhout »

Iguleder wrote:If you hate having a desktop background different from the one in XP ... you want me to put XP's wallpaper in Puppy and ilegally distribute it?
Can you explain how I can change the wallpaper ? 8-bit tried to explain het yikes anything that looks like XP, and wants to differentiate from it.

Iguleder

#79 Post by Iguleder »

/usr/share/default.jpg or /usr/share/default.png.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pacer106

#80 Post by pacer106 »

I am working on a name based logo for Guy Dog 1 version is featured in the newest backgrounds I posted. Here are the 2 variations I have currently but looking to add a pup logo somehow. The black you see is not actually there.

newlogo1-524x383 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

newlogo-453x319 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr