Guy Dog 5.0.1

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#31 Post by James C »

Did another frugal install on an old P4 with onboard Intel 82865 graphics.....everything working ootb on that box.

peebee

#32 Post by peebee »

Hi Iguleder

Some quick feedback (manual frugal install on my HP550):

- Network Wizard doesn't seem to work at all
- sad to see that Samba hasn't been included
- really missing being able to click on a .pet file to install it and clicking on a .iso or .sfs to access the contents

Maybe somebody could do a quick tutorial explaining how to do the things we've come to expect of Puppy in this different new world for people who would like to experiment but aren't clever enough to work it out for themselves??

Really exciting what you've managed to cram into such a small ISO though - congrats.

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

johnnywinner

#33 Post by johnnywinner »

peebee wrote:- Network Wizard doesn't seem to work at all
See: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02544
New pet: http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/pet_pa ... 111015.pet

elraven

guydog

#34 Post by elraven »

how do set the wall paper or change it rather? i can't find the wallpaper app

Iguleder

#35 Post by Iguleder »

Any Puppy wallpaper setter should work - put your wallpaper in either /usr/share/backgrounds/default.jpg or /usr/share/backgrounds/default.png. This is something I want to address in the next release.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pacer106

#36 Post by pacer106 »

To install .pets use open with & then type in petget or read below.

This is a little walk through for how to add installing .pets with a double click in emelfm2 file manager.

There are 2 pictures to reference if my instructions are not clear enough.

In image 1 you will see the right click menu for emelfm2 & the option for editing filetypes. click on that & you will see image 2.

As you can see in image 2 I have already added the pet option.

To do what I have done is pretty simple.

Step 1 is to scroll to the bottom of the Catergories column and click on the bottom item which should be object files so it is hi-lited in blue.

Step 2 is to click on the +Add button at the bottom of the screen as seen in image 2. You should now see a new item named new & it should be hi-lited in blue. Click on the word new & you should be able to edit the word from new to pet. After you enter pet press enter key so it sticks.

Step 3 is to click on the column named Extensions then click the +Add button at the bottom. You should now have a blue hi-lited item in the Extensions column. Click on that item & enter in pet then press enter to commit the item.

Step 3 is to click on the column named Labels & Commands. click in the blank area anyplace under Labels & Commands once it is showing a blue hi-lited item click on the +Add button at the bottom. Now click on the blue hi-lited item under the Label part & enter in install.pet then press enter to commit it. Next you will want to click the blue hi-lited area under command enter petget then press enter to commit.

Step 4 (final step) is to click on Apply then Commit at the bottom. (I am not sure if both Apply & Commit need to be clicked on. I did it just to be sure.)

If all went correctly a double click on any .pet should install the .pet.

Feedback is always welcome. I am no writer (far from it). I probably have grammer & punctuation errors in this. I am sorry if it bothers some people.

deepsea

#37 Post by deepsea »

Moin
Iguleder

Download your guy puppy
make frugal install
runs great

include XFCE4.8.pet ~ 8,8 MB prepared for " Next Puppy :wink: "
(only deb packages therefore the red notification bar in Thunar)

It is a pet with the basics of Xfce4 and Thunar
[ No thumbnails in thunar , some icons missing ..]

At moment seems to be working well

Here the result
Attachments
screen.png
screen
(189.29 KiB) Downloaded 2108 times

James C

#38 Post by James C »

Finally starting to get this figured out...... :lol:

Just realized I've got a misspelling in Conky too...

James C

#39 Post by James C »

Much better...

Terry H

#40 Post by Terry H »

Thanks for what on first impressions is an excellent puppy. Have done a frugal install, extended wbar to include additional apps. Wireless connection (bcm43) is re-established on restart. Everything is working extremely well.

Thanks iguleder, your work is excellent.

tubeguy

#41 Post by tubeguy »

johnnywinner wrote:
tubeguy wrote:I have found that right-clicking an app in the task bar closes it. Is that the intended behavior?
It is, but you can change it. The setting is at line 83 in /root/.config/tint2/tint2rc, "mouse_right = close". The available settings are explained at the link below.

http://code.google.com/p/tint2/wiki/Configure#Mouse_action_on_task

tubeguy wrote:Also how do I switch between desktops?
Ctrl-Alt-Left Arrow or Right Arrow or scrolling on the desktop are two ways.
Thank you!!
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

pacer106

#42 Post by pacer106 »

not completely happy with this but here is my idea.

guydog1 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

mikeslr

Can not achieve desktop with Ati Radeo 3100 Graphics

#43 Post by mikeslr »

Hi iguleder & All:

I'm really disappointed that I am unable to explore what looks to be an exciting puplet. My system uses Ati Radeon 3100 graphics. Trying probe, it tests OK, but clicking "finish" results in "No Signal" being reported by my monitor. Trying Chose, tests OK, but drops me back to "type xwin", which fails. Selecting vesa does the same.
In the early development of Slacko, iguleder's dpup and Exprimo, adding "pfix=radeon.modeset=0" enabled me to obtain a working desktop; but doing so for Guydog produced the same results as above.

mikesLr

Edit: Ignore above (':oops:')
See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 307#574307
Last edited by mikeslr on Tue 18 Oct 2011, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

roadkill13

No Joy on Acer D255

#44 Post by roadkill13 »

Did manual frugal install and booted to desktop without incident. Setup networking. A dialogue box popped up asking to download flash player. So I downloaded flash player but did nothing else.

Created save file and rebooted. Desktop locks up as soon as X loads after booting with save file. No mouse, no hot keys. Had to cold cock it and restart. Rebooted without incident. Don't know what caused that. Like the look and layout of this puplet.

mikeslr

Pmount on Wbar = Desktop Drive Icon Workaround

#45 Post by mikeslr »

Hi iguleder & all,

I guess I really did want to explore Guydog. See prior post. My right-brain tossed up the idea, "Why not try it on your Thinkpad T42?" Holding my breath as I clicked thru Xorgwizard --my T42 also uses Radeon Graphic, albeit 7500-- it gave me a desktop before I passed out.

Regarding the absence of desktop drive icons, I supposed a workaround would be to add pmount to Wbar. As Wbar config didn't seem to accept the non-png icon associated with pmount, I gave it the attached, which I stole from some collection of icons and re-labeled.

Damn! Now I'll have to figure out how to work without rox-filer as the default file manager.

mikesLr

p.s. Love the wbar config app. It's subjective, but Guydog may be the fastest puppy I've tried on the T42.
Attachments
pmount.png
(31.07 KiB) Downloaded 2003 times
Last edited by mikeslr on Wed 19 Oct 2011, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#46 Post by Tman »

mikesir,

Nice icon. I prefer Rox-Filer, so I installed the one from the lucid repo.
But typing rox in the terminal still activates Emelfm2. To get rox-fiiler working, you need to remove or rename /usr/bin/rox. That's the one that links to emelfm2.

There is a command for the real Rox-Filer in /usr/local/bin/rox. Not sure if it is added after you install Rox-Filer, or if it was there already.

puppyiso

#47 Post by puppyiso »

tubeguy, Thank you so much. I have downloaded.

Iguleder

#48 Post by Iguleder »

I'm already beyond the planning phase of 5.0.1 :lol:

I want this to be a bug-fix release.

Features so far:
- Network manager fix (upstream, by Barry)
- Findwild instead of Searchmonkey
- pacer106's wallpaper (well, pacer106)
- Something I'm investigating at the moment: default MIME-type handlers for emelFM2

EDIT: wow, it's amazing how ugly it is. All emelFM2's configuration is stored in a C file and gets printed with lots of unneeded calls to functions. I'm trying to create a huge patch for this file (well, that's the only way to do this) with sane defaults.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

pacer106

#49 Post by pacer106 »

Good morning, afternoon, or evening to all pupfans :)

Iguleder I am in the process of making a few more wallpapers for guydog :) im hopin to have somethin a bit better looking then the 1 posted yesterday.

Looking forward to the bugfix release :)

pacer106

#50 Post by pacer106 »

I am a little happier with these.

guydog2 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog3 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr