Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 22 Sep 2018, 13:09
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Guy Dog 5.0.1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 11 of 21 [312 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 18:00    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
Umm ... I've got good and bad news.

The bad news is the size of the Samba package - about 30 MB. At the moment, what the official Puppy releases have is an old Samba from 2009, that probably won't work with Windows 7 and 2008 R2.

Iguleder there is always the option of an optional SFS file to keep all the additional software separate from the main SFS file.

raffy

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 18:39    Post subject: package manager  

Nice collection of applications!

I tried 5.0.1 in Intel Atom board combo, and the Package Manager would not function. It downloaded package list from Debian repo then nothing.

Pmount prompts the user to install Rox, but it may be better to just have Rox in there, or link the "Files" button of Pmount to the default file manager.

mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 20:27    Post subject: Almost Perfect But....  

Last edited by mikeslr on Fri 21 Oct 2011, 20:33; edited 1 time in total
James C

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 20:31    Post subject: Re: Almost Perfect But....  

mikeslr wrote:
Hi Iguleder & All,

Guy Dog 5.0.1 is incredibly responsive on my system, even with the installation of Rox-Filer. I decided to install Rox-Filer because (a) I'm lazy and inexperienced; (b) I'm familiar with it; (c) following up on iguleder's suggestion I located what appears to be fairly thorough advice on how to go about how to use the kernel's binfmt_misc module to use wine as an interpreter independent of whatever limitations your file-manager may impose or require [See https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Wine#Using_Wine_as_an_interpreter_for_Win16.2FWin32_binaries if you desire to work exclusively with emelfm2] but re-read (a) & (b). Having installed Rox-Filer, as noted by Terry H, pmount still produces the advice to install Rox-Filer rather than initiating it. If fact, I've tried a could of different Rox-Filers, all of which produce the same results.

Raffy has suggested that "Pmount prompts the user to install Rox, but it may be better to just have Rox in there, or link the "Files" button of Pmount to the default file manager."

So my questions are:
(a) Which Rox-Filer, if installed, would automatically enable clicking "mount" in pmount to open the mounted drive/partition in Rox-Filler?
(b) If none of the currently available ones will, what changes need be made after installation to accomplish that?
(c) I looked in /usr/local/bin but did not recognize any file for setting the default file manager. How would someone go about setting Rox-Filer as the default, but perhaps better still, creating an app to switch which is to be the default file manager? or does one exist already?
(d) Rox-Filer seems to lack the pleasing and distinctive taskbar icons (such as the "eye" for show/hide hidden files) displaying only boxes with red-Xs for three actions that can be taken. How would I go about making changes to provide them?

Thanks in advance,

mikesLr

You had the dreaded extra space in your url....... Laughing
mikeslr

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 20:37    Post subject: Thanks JamesC  

Thanks JamesC

Thought LibreOffice Writer on which the post was composed had used an invisible ink font.

How did you figure it out and unhide it? It might be a good thing to know if I ever want to send secret messages?

mikesLr
stu90

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 00:33    Post subject: Re: Thanks JamesC  

mikeslr wrote:
Thanks JamesC

Thought LibreOffice Writer on which the post was composed had used an invisible ink font.

How did you figure it out and unhide it? It might be a good thing to know if I ever want to send secret messages?

mikesLr

Hi mikeslr,
the hidden posts are usually cause by a blank space some where in the [url][/url] tags - such posts can still be seen when you edit or some one quote them in a reply.

Regarding drive mounting and rox maybe give ymount a try?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69283&start=90
James C

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 02:19    Post subject: Re: Thanks JamesC  

mikeslr wrote:
Thanks JamesC

mikesLr

Already answered by stu90 so....... you had a blank space right before the final [url] tag...... just removed the blank space.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 07:14    Post subject:  

OK, time for explanations!

There are four reasons why ROX-Filer is not included:
1) Everybody loves choice and freedom - the distribution should include a sufficient file manager (well, since you can't do anything without a proper file manager, unless you're a true Linux haxx0r) that is enough for basic tasks, but always have the door open for alternatives.
2) ROX-Filer is so deeply integrated into Puppy - the only way to cut those ties is to remove it. I'm talking about things like desktop icons - you can't build a Puppy without ROX-Filer unless you modify all scripts that use it, replace /usr/bin/rox (what I did in 5.0.0) or provide another file manager with a placeholder at /usr/bin/rox (what we have in 5.0.1).
3) Two-pane file managers are more RAM-efficient. ROX-Filer requires two instances windows to copy, move or link files. This means, more memory usage and the need to move two windows around the screen.
4) It's good to be special. Smile

EDIT: just to let you know, guys - I already mentioned this in the Exprimo thread - I'm currently writing build scripts for many of Puppy's traditional packages that were included since the 1.x and 2.x days. The reason for this is the fact it's impossible to build a pure 64-bit Puppy without those and porting it to ARM or whatever is impossible.

So far, I have a nice number of packages ready. I haven't tested them yet, though.

The dual-kernel experiment got messed up, something is wrong in the kernel sources. I think it's some incompatibility between dpup's GCC and Linux 2.6.32.x, I'll investigate this once I'm done here.

EDIT 2: more good news - I was able to build the latest Binutils and GCC. Now I want to experiment with eglibc and uClibc - maybe we could benefit from those Wink
scale2x-2.4.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  scale2x-2.4.pet 
Filesize  16.62 KB 
Downloaded  170 Time(s) 
mirdir-2.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mirdir-2.1.pet 
Filesize  8.79 KB 
Downloaded  175 Time(s) 
mktemp-1.7.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mktemp-1.7.pet 
Filesize  3.78 KB 
Downloaded  168 Time(s) 
mingetty-1.08.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  mingetty-1.08.pet 
Filesize  4.88 KB 
Downloaded  164 Time(s) 
gpptp-0.1.0.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  gpptp-0.1.0.pet 
Filesize  5.75 KB 
Downloaded  169 Time(s) 
align-1.7.1.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  align-1.7.1.pet 
Filesize  3.37 KB 
Downloaded  167 Time(s) 

tatamata

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:16    Post subject:  

The ribbon in the top of the screen, where opened applications are placed as tabs, reduces usable screen size. Application windo can't be maximized above the ribbon.
Since I work on a netbook, I would like to be able to either hide/unhide that bar (ribbon) either enable to maximize application window above it...
How to do that?
Iguleder

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 12:22    Post subject:  

/root/.config/tint2rc Wink
pacer106

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 17:06    Post subject:  

guydog-howl by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog-howl1024x768 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr
pacer106

PostPosted: Sat 22 Oct 2011, 18:35    Post subject:  

guydog-desertdunes by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr
lemmy999

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 03:33    Post subject:  

Nice work Iguleder. I'm having a couple of problems with GuyDog on my EEEPC 1005. During boot I am offered a monitor resolution of 1024 x 768. I use that but when the netbook boots into the GUI the screen resolution has changed to 800 x600. I have rebooted and ran the "Test" in Video select and that defaults to 800 x 600 as well.

Only other issue is when setting up the network connection. If i choose the "network wizard" then nothing happens. Using the Simple Network Setup option works fine
mikeslr

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:01    Post subject: emelfm2 vs. Rox  

Hi Iguleder, Stu90 & All,

Thanks Stu90 for the info regarding ymount. But I've decided to take another whack at emelfm2. emelfm2 actually reminds me of xfe which I've frequently installed to get around some of Rox's limitations. The main obstacle I've encountered with emelfm2 is not its fault, but rather as iguleder suggests, that we've become so accustomed to Rox being the file manager that its presence has been assumed by those creating apps. For example, both pmount and ymount do.
I think Raffy's solution would be best. But in the meantime, not being a purest like Iguleder, I don't mind using his "dirty hack." So I stole it from the 5.0.0 ISO and installed it.
As I also mentioned, I figured out how to run XP-portables under emelfm2. I just don't have an easy way to add them to the menu. Wbar also doesn't accept them. So I'll bite the bullet and see if I can make use of binfmt_misc.
If not, it's no great loss. emelfm2+wine has no problem with xp programs actually installed. And there are, of course, native Linux applications equivalent to the three portables I run. It's just that I run them from /mnt/home so that they can be used by any of my Puppies.
The only other advantage I see to Rox is its ability to provide a thumbnail view of all the graphic files in a folder. Perhaps there's a plugin for emelfm2 which could provide that? I couldn't find one.
Alternatively, an app run independently of emelfm2 --such as the preview option of fehbg wallpaper chooser or pemasu's xnView-- could be used. XnView, if you haven't tried it yet, appears to be a very complete package for handling graphic files. Although, as pemasu admits, as a 36 meg SFS, it is rather large. So I'll start first by installing SFS-on-the-fly.
By the way, for other non-purists, both the picasa.sfs and the picasa xp portable run well, although they complain about the available storage space being below recommended levels. Its a false negative. It only counts the storage space in the SaveFile, not the space otherwise available on one's system.

mikesLr

Last edited by mikeslr on Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:50; edited 1 time in total
pacer106

PostPosted: Sun 23 Oct 2011, 10:21    Post subject:  

Hi mikeslr Smile

There is a plugin for thumbnail views I personally do not possess the talent to install it (or most things that are not pets lol).

Here is the info I was able to find
Quote:
Library for Thumbnails Plugin

This archive (110kB) provides a version of the GIMP thumbnails library that (unlike the original) works with multiple users and/or multiple threads, and doesn't crash when re-used. You will need to run the included autogen.sh script before the usual build sequence.

This shared library is badged as 'libthumbs' and may be installed in parallel with the standard libgimpthumb.

Use of libthumbs is optional (via a Make parameter) for the thumbnails plugin. If not used, relevant code is built into the plugin, instead. However, for versions < 0.7.5, the built-in code includes static data for a GObject-class, so you really must use the library if: multiple instances of emelFM2 are ever to be open simultaneously, and more than one of those instances has an open thumbs dialog when the instance is terminated and the opened instances are not terminated in LIFO order. Probably not a big risk.

It was found here: http://emelfm2.net/wiki/OtherDownLoads

If you do manage to get it installed I would be curious as to how you did it Smile
Page 11 of 21 [312 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: