Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 02 Sep 2014, 13:22
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Guy Dog 5.0.1
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 10 of 21 [312 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
8-bit

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 08:45    Post subject:
Subject description: font problems.

I have now tried 500 and 501 and I am curious if a font problem I have is only happening to me.
Sometimes, the characters are not fully formed like the lower part of the "e" character will be gone.
Also, when reading posts on the forum, I am getting faint blue characters with some of them such as the two L's in the word "well" would be light blue.
I have tried changing the font size in Firefox, but that seems to have no effect on the light blue character being displayed.
I have not tried using a different font though.

Also, I had a previous pupsave file that I let 501 update.
The update went ok other than the fact that I previously had selected visa as the driver and now vesa does not work for me.
But now the nv driver works where it did not before.
pacer106

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 09:16    Post subject:  

I have spent most of the last few days running some experiments with various new puplets.

I have discovered (I think) that kernel 2.6.39.4 in several new puplets including slacko, next pup, dpup exprimo, & stu90's d-lite pup does not seem to like the belkin wireless g router I use.

So I was wondering if any of the mentioned puplets could have the kernel rolled back? If it was rolled back would the puplets not work properly?

Does anyone else have any issues with getting online using a belkin wireless g router?

I would be interested in finding out from those who have had kernel panic lockups if they are using a belkin wireless g router.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:03    Post subject:  

I remember I wrote a script that replaces the kernel in a Puppy, I can write a new one for you, so you can take Guy Dog (or any other Puppy) and transplant a new kernel - 2.6.32.x could be a great choice.
ICQ Number 
pacer106

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:12    Post subject:  

That would be great Iguleder Smile When you get time no rush on it. I know you got many things going on right now. They are more important then my little issue.

I should know how to do that already lol. Just never had a need for a different kernel. The native included in the puplets I try have always worked until this belkin router started being used. Really curious as to what it could be with the belkin.

Going to do some internet searching today see if I can find any other known issues with the kernel in recent puplets & belkin routers.
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:40    Post subject:  

Umm ... I've got good and bad news.

The good news are that now we have Samba and a nice GTK+ frontend (gadmin-samba) built in dpup and they seem to work, although I haven't shared a printer or something to test.

The bad news is the size of the Samba package - about 30 MB. At the moment, what the official Puppy releases have is an old Samba from 2009, that probably won't work with Windows 7 and 2008 R2.

That package has just smbclient and other important binaries, not the whole deal. However, the smblclient binary is about 4 MB in the package I just built, which is still way too much.

pacer106: thanks for the inspiration, you gave me a very innovative idea - a multi-kernel Puppy (e.g multiple kernels in one Puppy, not multi-boot) - the downside is slower boot times (and size, of course). A kernel choice menu in the boot loader could be a nice addition to Puppy Wink

ICQ Number 
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 10:56    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
pacer106: thanks for the inspiration, you gave me a very innovative idea - a multi-kernel Puppy (e.g multiple kernels in one Puppy, not multi-boot) - the downside is slower boot times (and size, of course). A kernel choice menu in the boot loader could be a nice addition to Puppy Wink

I too would like that kernel-switching script; at the moment, I use the method described here: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=60180

Also, goingnuts has already done a lot of work on multiple kernel pups, he thinks it may be a dead end, maybe you could PM him, ask where he got to, how he did it, etc, it might help you get on the right track a bit quicker...
I was planning on letting users choose a kernel at boot time, too, for Akita.

tubeguy

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:07    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
The good news are that now we have Samba and a nice GTK+ frontend (gadmin-samba) built in dpup and they seem to work, although I haven't shared a printer or something to test.

Would not mind giving that a try, would work for my network which has no Windows 7 boxes.

Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:21    Post subject:  

tubeguy - it would be quite problematic to upload those huge packages, since I use a very unstable wireless connection now Crying or Very sad

pacer106 and sc0ttman - I already know how to do this, I did it once already. I can write a new script, it won't be very hard.

There's only one main issue here - when you replace the current kernel of a Puppy, the new kernel's drivers could have some extra dependencies, so you can't just replace every driver by your kernel's one. However, that's the best bet. Laughing

I'm writing a new and improved build script for the 2.6.32.x kernel right now, which is fairly vanilla and uses Unionfs instead of Aufs, as Barry did in his 3.0.4.

I want to write a complete suite of build scripts, for the kernel, Sysprof, ndiswrapper and NVIDIA. I just don't have a good kernel to test the script with at the moment.

ICQ Number 
pacer106

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 11:31    Post subject:  

Wow did not intend anything like that but glad I inspired something Smile

Looking forward to testing it out.

Did a little research on my problem with belkin router & not finding much. I did not think of trying to assign the IP & all that myself which from the little info I did find was quoted to have worked. It was dated info though & did not specify what linux version or kernel. So who knows for sure until I try Smile Hoping to do that later today.
tubeguy

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:21    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
tubeguy - it would be quite problematic to upload those huge packages, since I use a very unstable wireless connection now Crying or Very sad

No sweat. Wink

Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:42    Post subject:  

The wonderful 2.6.32.46 is compiling at the moment, let's see if it's any good Smile

So ... if we have the first multi-kernel Puppy - should it have a boot menu with two entries? I think the Arch Linux and Debian Live syslinux.cfg could come in handy Wink

ICQ Number 
pacer106

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 12:50    Post subject:  

Quote:
should it have a boot menu with two entries?

I wish I knew enough to answer that lol. My vote would go for whatever is the easiest for the end user to decide from.

Would this be a new puplet? Should we come up with some kind of kernel based name for example Kernel Dog with some military type look?
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 14:14    Post subject:  

Nah, it's nothing but a fun experiment Laughing

And the kernel is done building, now comes the fun part Laughing

ICQ Number 
pacer106

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 14:42    Post subject:  

Experiments are always fun Smile like this background. I have seen a few comments on how speedy Guy Dog is so i thought up this background. Hope it looks proper.

Coming in for a landing in the desert mountains.

guydog-speed by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr
pacer106

PostPosted: Fri 21 Oct 2011, 16:44    Post subject:  

guydog-sa1366x768 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr

guydog-sa1024x768 by J. P. Stunna, on Flickr
Page 10 of 21 [312 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, ..., 19, 20, 21 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: