3Com 905B-TX NIC works in 1.0.8r

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
pupnub

3Com 905B-TX NIC works in 1.0.8r

#1 Post by pupnub »

No network connection was just curious if this would be fixed in another version or if works in a previous one.
me = pupnub

sunburnt

#2 Post by sunburnt »

Welcome pupnub; What version of Puppy are you using?
I'm using SimplePup to do a PXE boot on diskless client PCs.
I use the 3com-905-txm NICs for this because they boot PXE just as they are.
SimplePup, PizzaPup105, & John Murga's 128 special all worked with this 3com NIC.
There are so many different variaties of the NICs that it's bewildering, you'd think if one worked, they'd all work.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

sunburnt wrote:...There are so many different variaties of the NICs that it's bewildering, you'd think if one worked, they'd all work.
That's true. For what it's worth, I connect to the internet through a Zoom model 5001 PCI card cable modem which the computer thinks is an ethernet card. Every OS I've used, including Windows Me and 2000 and several versions of Linux (and all versions of Puppy Linux since I discovered it about 1.0.2) has detected it and automatically used it as an ethernet card without me having to do a thing except use the network setup wizard to tell it to use DHCP. I've used it in three different computers with different motherboards and chipsets and it has always showed up as an ethernet connection.

pupnub

re: 3C905B-TX

#4 Post by pupnub »

Thanks for the Welcome :)

1.0.8r with and without multisession neither worked. I just noticed that I didn't use a rewritable cd so maybe that has something to do with it?

thanks
me = pupnub

sunburnt

#5 Post by sunburnt »

pupnub; Just a silly thought, to setup the NIC did you do: [Start] > Setup > Ethernet/network Wizard?
Puppy needs you to run this just once, & then it'll be fine after that, just follow the wizard.

All of Puppy's setting & app. installs are saved in the pup001 file (/root).
So if you setup the NIC & didn't use a CD-RW it wouldn't save the NIC info, & it wouldn't work next boot.

Once you've got Puppy setup the way you want it, make a backup of the pup001 file, it's 256mb.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

Multisession Puppy only requires a writable CD; a CD-R will work as well as a CD-RW. However, neither one works as well as a writable DVD.

pupnub

Thank you!!

#7 Post by pupnub »

I'm writing this using Puppy :lol:

Silly thoughts are perfect for linux/puppy nubs.. Thanks again for your help sunburnt and all others that posted, I hope to be able to help others soon..
me = pupnub