Slacko RC

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
jim3630

#46 Post by jim3630 »

Stripe wrote:hi all

@jim3630,

with my laptop I had to choose the analog option, then the internal speaker works, but not the earphone and mike jack plugs.

I know its not perfect (yet) but it is working, hope this is of some use to you

don
@don,

thanks for the effort. oob starting a movie file the gnome mplayer (default player) will output the sound to the laptops speakers. which is the analog option by default. don't have earphones handy to try but my gosh darn it and then some external digital HDMI cable to the tv that is the problem.

multiple sound card wizard flashes the msg need to reboot for changes to take effect and although that has not been needed for the changes to take effect in 5.29.6 and in other pups but doing so here immediately does not save the chosen settings.

chrismt

#47 Post by chrismt »

Thanks for the advise of JAva. I installed it.

It would be great if someone told me what is this SCSI version? Whats the difference? And, also this ++ version...

gcmartin

#48 Post by gcmartin »

chrismt wrote: ... It would be great if someone told me what is this SCSI version? Whats the difference?
There was an experiment among Puppylanders on how to get 32bit Puppy to access all of the RAM your PC could have. In doing so, it was discovered that the experiment not only was able to access all of your RAM, but, was doing so with no negative system impacts. That experiment became a working model. That model has now moved to production as BarryK and 01Micko are putting together working official PUPs that allow the OS to embrace and use all of the RAM available on your running PC. Now, as a result, 32bit PUP users can add as much RAM as they want with the assurance that PUPs will embrace that into the filesystem.

Up until the experiment, 32bit PUPs were limited in how much of RAM it would actually use.

Hope this helps

gcmartin

JRE

#49 Post by gcmartin »

Edited: This post pertains to a JRE PET for SLACKO. Needed for Live media SLACKO users.

JRE was a problem months ago with Puppy 5.25+. @Pemasu provided a solution in the form of a PET which worked fine. I was able to use it on the Live CD, it worked without rebooting, and upon save-session, it carried over without issue(s).

I noticed that under SlickPET>More PETs>Java we are taken to a webpage. But I do NOT see the @Pemasu version available. Should it be available? Does it work in SLACKO?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

emil

yacas and R

#50 Post by emil »

Tested yacas computer algebra package, should work in slacko
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... 2-i486.pet
Compiled R package in slacko RC
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... slacko.sfs

mave

Scribus 1.4.xxxx in Slacko with QT4-Libs

#51 Post by mave »

Are there for this great Slacko packages/pets of Scribus 1.4.xxxx and QT4-Libs...?

(I tried compiling Scribus but without success...)

mave

Stripe

#52 Post by Stripe »

hi all

@mave there is a QT pet in the PPM there is also a qt_all sfs that can be downloaded from slickpet

hope this helps

Don

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#53 Post by Lobster »

Can I install the latest Openshot? :?
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/openshot

If you update the puppy package manager
by clicking on 'configure' (que?)
new packages will be available
for example xfce which you run by pressing
ctrl + alt + backspace
and typing xwin startxfce4

Well it works but it is too geeky to make sense
Now I need python - used devx (not yet available from Slickpet)
so used the first post in this thread link

Now to add this Ubuntu Openshot 1.4 deb . . .
http://www.openshot.org/download/
. . . Wait a minute that would work on Lucid but we need the compiled Openshot code (not yet available)

Oh Buddha :roll:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

aarf

#54 Post by aarf »

aarf wrote:got a hunch that network wizard and sns balk when there are too many signals. frisbee manages under many signals though. could be somethings else stopping network wizard and sns but at this one location they see to have a problem (18 wifi signals ).
strange. today ok while past persistent failures.

01micko

#55 Post by 01micko »

Hi all, sorry for the confusion in first post, I was on a very tight schedule, thanks for the first few posts which generally got things sorted.

Links are fixed now.

As said., I'll be away from home for awhile. I will be popping in from time to time.

I am posting fom my new(old) laptop and a new huawei-E169K 3G modem through Virgin Broadband Au.. it was a cinch to set up using the new look pupdial.

Cheers
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

emil

Octave

#56 Post by emil »

I pimped an old package of GNU Octave with the necessary libraries and this works in slacko RC.

DOWLOAD; http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... 5.29.5.sfs

DaveS

#57 Post by DaveS »

Oh Bloody 'el! Peasyscan dont work over wifi again! OK on USB. (HP Photosmart)

Edit Re-installed driver and it is fine now :)
Last edited by DaveS on Sun 09 Oct 2011, 12:43, edited 2 times in total.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

charlie6

#58 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
thanks again so much !
got both 5.29.5 and 5.29.6 tested too on:
- old PIV Fji-Siemens Brookdale featured: works OTB !
- HP PIV pavillon 5260 desktop : works OTB!
- HP PIV pavillon 5260 desktop + nvidia driver : works OTB!
@ stripe
tested forum member stripe's VLC pet on HP PIV pavillon 5260 desktop + nvidia driver: works nice - no freeze nor hang up upon restart even after a ... popcorns pause ... :D !
thanks a lot stripe !

Cheers, Charlie

01micko

#59 Post by 01micko »

Hi Charlie,
Stripes vlc is in PPM as vlc_standalone, just renamed, that's all ..works fine for me. Strange your siliconmotions issue still as the pet I made for you and Indian is included.

Emil, (and others) thanks for abundance of packages. I have mentioned this before but you may have missed but the danger of including necessary libs is that you could uninstall that package and some unrelated package that you installed may suffer because it may have depended on those libs. The solution is to package with the dependencies referenced in the dependencies field of the pet.specs (provided it exists in slacko, slackware, salix or slacky repo.)
If not then deps can be packaged in a non standard library directory which is in puppy's LD_LIBRARY_PATH. These include /usr/local/lib or /root/my-applications/lib. Or of course, and I'm sure you know this, adjust the lib path as necessary at runtime of the app. The exceptions are QT4 apps which in the standard qt-everywhere package I compiled reside in /opt. So if your apps are QT then /usr/lib is ok. Please ignore this warning as necessary :wink:

Anybody who has tried coolpup's java 1.7: working ok? If so I'll repackage and place in PPM. I don't have the bandwidth ATM.

tubeguy, and others with SIOCSIFFLAGS errors.. this is usually missing firmware (afaik). Just see if you can find out which firmware it is from Lupu or Dpup, it may slot right in and solve those issue. Anyone with other ideas?

lobster... after work in the evening tomorrow I shall be hunting red claw :shock:

Thanks everyone
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#60 Post by Lobster »

lobster... after work in the evening tomorrow I shall be hunting red claw
Some years ago I thanked a Buddhist group (on behalf of crustaceankind) who were symbolically releasing Lobsters back into the wild
However for hunters my message is much simpler.

Good hunting! 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

emil

GCL GNU Common Lisp

#61 Post by emil »

jim3630

#62 Post by jim3630 »

01micko,

this problem is beyond my skill level and looks like it is not my hardware since in other pups once the speakers are chosen via multi-sound card wizard on reboot sound continues to go to those speakers. have looked in other pups multi-sound card wizard and the choices are the same as in the pic of my first post here in RC. any ideas?

Billtoo

Slacko RC

#63 Post by Billtoo »

Manual frugal install to emachines D620 laptop.
Installed mesa from ppm.
Installed frisbee.pet from network manager.
Sun 9 Oct 2011 Operating System: Slacko Puppy-5.29.6 Linux 2.6.39.4
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690M [Radeon X1200 Series]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS690 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1280x800 pixels (338x211 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa Project
OpenGL renderer string: Software Rasterizer
OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 7.10.2

AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Core 0: 1596 MHz

# glxgears
887 frames in 5.0 seconds = 177.288 FPS
901 frames in 5.0 seconds = 180.107 FPS
877 frames in 5.0 seconds = 175.237 FPS

Computer
Processor AMD Athlon(tm) Processor 2650e
Memory 1812MB (163MB used)
Ethernet controller Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8040 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
Network controller Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g LP-PHY

Slacko Puppy-5.29.6 is working well on this laptop, cool and quiet.

Tman

#64 Post by Tman »

Did a quick remaster of Slacko RC. Didn't add anything major. Will contiune further testing.
Attachments
Slacko_RC.jpg
(33.07 KiB) Downloaded 2915 times

Tman

GetFlash is out of date

#65 Post by Tman »

01Micko,

GetFlash in Slacko RC will download the latest Flashplayer10.
The latest version, as of today is 11,0,1,152.

The site to test the Flashplayer version is here: http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/

In order to get the latest Flashplayer11, you just need to change line 17 in the /usr/sbin/getflash script to this:

Code: Select all

echo -e "#!/bin/sh\nwget -O - http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/install_flash_player_11_linux.i386.tar.gz | tar -xz" > /tmp/delayedrun_flashdl
A pet is also attached here: GetFlash - for the latest Flashplayer11