Slacko RC

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
emil

Latex and Lyx

#31 Post by emil »

To get LaTex Typesetting this package seems to work:
DOWNLOAD http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... yx_v09.sfs

This includes qt4, a subset of the TexLive package and Lyx (version 1.6 - previous release)

In the ppm repos of slacko I found no Texlive package but only old tetex package. I also tried to install a newer Lyx from the slackware repos, but there were tons of dependencies so I skipped that.

LINK TO LATEX_LYX FORUM THREAD

@Lobster
thanks for pointing out that I should read the whole thread before posting - :oops:

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#32 Post by Lobster »

for java
click on slickpet icon
sfsget
jre
would be the way but . . . not uploaded or working :oops:

clicking on 'more pets' brings you here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/JavaRuntimeEnvironment
they should work - report back if they do or don't
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

aarf

#33 Post by aarf »

chrismt wrote:Can someone tell me where I can get JAVA for Slacko?

How to install them?
click slickpet icon on desktop, sfs tab, jre

i use this java_jre-6u22-Lucid-sfs4.sfs it works in slackorc
Last edited by aarf on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 14:50, edited 2 times in total.

emil

java

#34 Post by emil »

coolpups java 1.7 seems to work ok with Seamonkey
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e69bc714.html
it even has a menu entry for the java control panel in Utility.

emil

gfortran

#35 Post by emil »

the devx for the B5 still had it, but in the RC it is gone.

Fortran compiler for puppy 5 Slacko gfortran 4.5.2 (made from slackware package):
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... -4.5.2.pet

Stripe

#36 Post by Stripe »

hi all

@jim3630,

with my laptop I had to choose the analog option, then the internal speaker works, but not the earphone and mike jack plugs.

I know its not perfect (yet) but it is working, hope this is of some use to you

don

sszindian

RC

#37 Post by sszindian »

SLACKO-5.29.6-SCSI:

Fired up nice on first boot... (selected the YES option SiS card from the new 'ask feature at startup') everything came on desktop just fine and was able to get my 1440x900 resolution!!!

Installed Pwidgets from the ibiblo slacko-pets direct download from there (was NOT able to get it from the PPM, kept giving broken-connection error, two different sites?) After going to ibiblio and making a direct download, installed fine that way, but... gives the same 'no top to the CPU chart' same as in previous B++)

>>>---Indian------>
Attachments
pwidgets.png
(54.56 KiB) Downloaded 2012 times
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

aarf

#38 Post by aarf »

still have the problem of loosing things. for things that have an entry in the tray i can maximize y but things that don't are lost forever often making the app not further operational. loosing occurs when i push the open window up to the top of the sceen and then it disappears.

tubeguy

wireless networking issue

#39 Post by tubeguy »

First, RC is running awesome frugally on a Compaq DC5100 SFF P4 3gig with 2.5gig ram.

Frisbee did not see wlan

Installed rt3070sta-v2.3.0.1-k2.6.33.2.pet from tempestuous (works on Lucid 525) then ran the network wizard:

Clicked wireless:

Clicked scan:

Got this:

Is there a config I can edit or should I be talking to tempestuous about this? He already got me going on 525 with this adapter and I hate to bug him again about this after all the work he already did. This stuff is a little over my head. :oops: In a month or so I will be setting up a new wired network but right now I have to share a Comcast connection wirelessly. And maybe this is jumping the gun here, should I wait for the final release before asking for help on this?
[b]Tahr Pup 6 on desktop, Lucid 3HD on lappie[/b]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#40 Post by Lobster »

:oops: eh . . . :roll:
Not sure how but my graphics is now acceptable
this is the readout

Code: Select all

Sat 8 Oct 2011  Operating System: Slacko Puppy-5.29.6  Linux 2.6.39.4
 0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV710 [Radeon HD 4350]  
 oem: ATI ATOMBIOS  product: RV710 01.00  

X Server: Xorg   Driver: vesa
X.Org version: 1.9.5
  dimensions:    1280x1024 pixels (338x270 millimeters)
  depth of root window:    24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Radeon HD 4300/4500 Series
OpenGL version string: 3.3.11079 Compatibility Profile Context

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
 Core 0: 2593  1: 2593  MHz
Basically from what I remember
the 3628 FPS (stable) is reduced from the 5000 FPS ('orrible display)
Both times I was using the Vesa Driver
I played about with varous settings and used the 1240x1028 res rather than a lower res then reinstalled the ATI Accelerated driver from Slickpet
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

Ray MK

#41 Post by Ray MK »

Hi all

From here - looking very good - all the basics seem to work.

And for me on my old Acer laptop, RC++ with k2.6.39.4 runs
faster, smoother and cooler than RC with k2.6.37.6 (unexpected).

Manual frugal to sda2, ext3, 256mb ram, 2.5Ghz celeron proc.
and 800mb swap partition.

Many thanks to all for a fantastic OS.

Very best regards - Ray

Puppeteer

#42 Post by Puppeteer »

Hmm, after rebooting, it seems my wireless settings are reset. I previously got the ath9k_htc driver for my TP-Link TL-WN821Nv3 USB WiFi dongle working with Tempestuous' extra firmware for Three-Headed Dog, but now it's back to square one.

EDIT: Tried SlackoRC++, and the firmware must be included in the newer kernel since my USB Wifi was detected directly using the Network Tool. Sound issues same as in SlackoRC though. Gnome MPLayer doesn't save changes to settings after closing and restarting the program (this is without a reboot or restart of X).
Last edited by Puppeteer on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#43 Post by nooby »

I have booted it but was lazy and reused old save file.
Worked good.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

aarf

#44 Post by aarf »

got a hunch that network wizard and sns balk when there are too many signals. frisbee manages under many signals though. could be somethings else stopping network wizard and sns but at this one location they see to have a problem (18 wifi signals ).

Sage

#45 Post by Sage »

No expert here, but was fed up of seeing SIOCSSFLAGS error when I first got into networking. Fortunately had a relative who was a field engineer in networking.
This one is your best advice:
http://linuxmafia.com/faq/VALinux-kb/si ... error.html
but don't forget you may have to use the router's config to get things compatible and talking.
By far the best advice is what you plan to do, though!
Rip up the floorboards and wire the house with ports.
99% of folks using wi-fi have little idea of the risks they are taking. This was demonstrated on TV recently by an 'insider' with a scanner sitting in his van in the road. He then knocked on the doors of his victims and told them their passwords, bank balances and addressbooks...
Wi-fi is for the guys who really know what's what. There are more than a few around here, but they do NOT speak for the great unwashed.

jim3630

#46 Post by jim3630 »

Stripe wrote:hi all

@jim3630,

with my laptop I had to choose the analog option, then the internal speaker works, but not the earphone and mike jack plugs.

I know its not perfect (yet) but it is working, hope this is of some use to you

don
@don,

thanks for the effort. oob starting a movie file the gnome mplayer (default player) will output the sound to the laptops speakers. which is the analog option by default. don't have earphones handy to try but my gosh darn it and then some external digital HDMI cable to the tv that is the problem.

multiple sound card wizard flashes the msg need to reboot for changes to take effect and although that has not been needed for the changes to take effect in 5.29.6 and in other pups but doing so here immediately does not save the chosen settings.

chrismt

#47 Post by chrismt »

Thanks for the advise of JAva. I installed it.

It would be great if someone told me what is this SCSI version? Whats the difference? And, also this ++ version...

gcmartin

#48 Post by gcmartin »

chrismt wrote: ... It would be great if someone told me what is this SCSI version? Whats the difference?
There was an experiment among Puppylanders on how to get 32bit Puppy to access all of the RAM your PC could have. In doing so, it was discovered that the experiment not only was able to access all of your RAM, but, was doing so with no negative system impacts. That experiment became a working model. That model has now moved to production as BarryK and 01Micko are putting together working official PUPs that allow the OS to embrace and use all of the RAM available on your running PC. Now, as a result, 32bit PUP users can add as much RAM as they want with the assurance that PUPs will embrace that into the filesystem.

Up until the experiment, 32bit PUPs were limited in how much of RAM it would actually use.

Hope this helps

gcmartin

JRE

#49 Post by gcmartin »

Edited: This post pertains to a JRE PET for SLACKO. Needed for Live media SLACKO users.

JRE was a problem months ago with Puppy 5.25+. @Pemasu provided a solution in the form of a PET which worked fine. I was able to use it on the Live CD, it worked without rebooting, and upon save-session, it carried over without issue(s).

I noticed that under SlickPET>More PETs>Java we are taken to a webpage. But I do NOT see the @Pemasu version available. Should it be available? Does it work in SLACKO?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by gcmartin on Sat 08 Oct 2011, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

emil

yacas and R

#50 Post by emil »

Tested yacas computer algebra package, should work in slacko
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... 2-i486.pet
Compiled R package in slacko RC
http://boxen.math.washington.edu/home/e ... slacko.sfs