Slacko RC

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rcrsn51

Re: Script to freeze X

#271 Post by rcrsn51 »

grump wrote:On command line it asks for a password = there is none so I press Enter. My current guess is that X is freezing because mount prompts for input but can't get through X.
Change your script to

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
mount.cifs //192.168.1.101/DadE /mnt/network/STUDY/DadE -o username=guest,guest

DaveS

#272 Post by DaveS »

Mick, just a heads up in case it is a woof thing that may affect future versions of Slacko http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 645#574645
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

emil

#273 Post by emil »

I just wanted to thank micko01 for his incredible work and say that I am very impressed with slacko. Big Thumbs Up.

However on these boot issues with CD i cannot help muchin testing, because I don't use CD's anymore. Frugal installs to HD are so easy and fast. Is it too far fetched to say that most testers and developers don't burn loads of CD'S anymore? So there *might* be less testing in this area?

What I noticed is, that the step in the boot process where it says "Looking for Puppy files ..." seems to take more time now on my computer and there are red dots appearing. Was there a change somewhere? Can anyone point out (link?) what has been changed and where?

Thanks
emil

"Keep the Faith" keeps inspiring me ....

01micko

#274 Post by 01micko »

Dave,

It's ok, I have a custom /etc/fonts/, thanks to Iguleder.

Emil,

Thanks. As for CD, I boot all machines that I have access to with if they are equipped with a CD drive. A couple of older ones included. CD is not the issue.

In woof, Barry is doing a more thorough search for puppy files to make it more reliable at a cost of speed, this occurs in frugals and CD boots. I think there is a pfix parameter that can speed up frugal boots pointing to the save file location that you can add to your kernel line.
This change was introduced early this year, I would need to do some digging to get you a link.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

emil

#275 Post by emil »

hi,
micko thanks for explaining. I will dig it up myself. :wink: Save your time for slacko.
emil

DaveS

#276 Post by DaveS »

01micko wrote:Dave,

It's ok, I have a custom /etc/fonts/, thanks to Iguleder.

Well, its a winner. I notice a couple of games I have now display better menu fonts too :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#277 Post by Lobster »

Big Thumbs Up
Big claws up from me too.

For the fully baked, I am working on a new version of YAP for Slacko
- which of course will be of no use to anyone even partially sane (unless modified to spaghetti monster or Church of the Subgenius links etc)
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/BuddhistYAP

Yap is for setting up a laptop or computer as a virtual shrine.
I have started doing a 'wrathful practice' - which in traditional vajrayana is secret because it involves blood drinking monsters (or root users as some penguins would have it)
However in Yinyana, which is my style of Buddhism, we don't have any secrets worth repeating.

As soon as I have it running, will post.
Good karma is dedicated to Micko.
All problems are as usual the fault of official Puppy scapegoat (bugman)
OM YA HA HUM (translation: have a nice day)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

tasmod

#278 Post by tasmod »

Mick,

do you mean,

pdev1=XXX

Where XXX is drive where savefile is.
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

tasmod

#279 Post by tasmod »

Lobster,

As a member of the "League against cruelty to Bugman" you have been noted.

Any more and it's 10mins simmer and then seafood sauce. :lol:
Rob
-

tasmod

#280 Post by tasmod »

Despite everything.

Otropogo,

found this:-
The bad eip value is a hardware issue. It may be a NIC problem, or a pci add-on controller issue.

The kernel panics, as it is unable to detect or use the piece of hardware correctly using the base kernel modules. Most likely it is an issue with the kernel being able to set the pci address, or PNP is set in the bios.

Sometimes there is a conflict with another slot, especially in systems that share resources between slots. You used to see this a lot with pci slots next to isa slots, where the resources were shared. Or, a pci slot next to the agp slot. Moving the pci card to another slot might solve the issue, resolving the apparent conflict.
Maybe swapping a card about may help the issue. :?

Other stuff I found said to unplug any USB device before booting and hotplug afterwards. inc. usb mouse!
Rob
-

Jades

#281 Post by Jades »

Any thoughts on what I can check to see what's the matter with Slacko and my Netgear WN111v2? It's wierd that on this distro I'm getting performance not much quicker than dialup whereas on all of the versions of Lupu the performance has been close to that of XP. I suspect it's possibly something to do with the drivers or the newer kernel version.

I had been comparing it to Lupu 528, which was a little unfair as that version was optomised for i686+ systems but even Lupu 525 is considerably quicker online than Slacko. The good wireless performance had been the reason why I decided to use Puppy rather than one of the more mainstream distros.

Other than the disappointing wireless performance, Slacko has run well on the Pentium D machine and seems to be running well on the K6 once I installed the i486 version of FFMPEG. Even Sea Monkey is starting to grow on me.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

Jades

#282 Post by Jades »

Double post. Damned touchpad!
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#283 Post by Lobster »

tasmod wrote:Lobster,
Any more and it's 10mins simmer and then seafood sauce. :lol:
:?
For those requiring their mind to be suchifed (to be made into raw fish)
Here is the new YAP 2.1 for Slacko
. . . now to set up a shrine for helpless sardines . . . :wink:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 702#574702
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rcrsn51

#284 Post by rcrsn51 »

emil wrote:What I noticed is, that the step in the boot process where it says "Looking for Puppy files ..." seems to take more time now on my computer and there are red dots appearing. Was there a change somewhere? Can anyone point out (link?) what has been changed and where?
There has definitely been a change in recent Puppies. Do you have any devices like printers turned on during bootup?

Also, please post your GRUB menu.lst entry. There may be ways to optimize it.

emil

#285 Post by emil »

:D rcrsn51
I think I found the relevant blog entry.

I am on a machine with 11 usb and card slots :shock:
my grub entry for slacko is

title slacko(on /dev/sda3)
  root (hd0,2)
  kernel /slacko/vmlinuz psubdir=slacko pfix=ram ro vga=normal
  initrd /slacko/initrd.gz
8) emil

rcrsn51

#286 Post by rcrsn51 »

@emil: Try this change:

title slacko(on /dev/sda3)
  root (hd0,2)
  kernel /slacko/vmlinuz psubdir=slacko pfix=ram ro vga=normal pdev1=sda3
  initrd /slacko/initrd.gz
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Thu 20 Oct 2011, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.

gcmartin

#287 Post by gcmartin »

rcrsn51 wrote:
grump wrote:On command line it asks for a password = there is none so I press Enter. ... .
Change your script to

#!/bin/bash
mount.cifs //192.168.1.101/DadE /mnt/network/STUDY/DadE -o username=guest,guest
This will work your script. You may be a little more universal to use

mount -t cifs -o username=root,password=woofwoof  //192.168.1.101/DadE /mnt/network/STUDY/DadE
I have found this to work on all PUP distros, used thus far, trying to use folders from Windows, Macs, and Linux PCs on the LAN. Its because some of the distro are implemented with subsystems that require the mount command to use the "password=" approach. So, by using the parm your script should work on most distro where you use it.

Finally, if you want your Pup to run your script every time you boot, then post back for Slacko directions to do this.

Hope this helps
Last edited by gcmartin on Thu 20 Oct 2011, 14:59, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#288 Post by rcrsn51 »

gcmartin wrote:You may be a little more universal to use

mount -o username=root,password=woofwoof  //192.168.1.../resource /mnt/network/STUDY
???

Please explain. Why would you login to a Windows machine using the credentials of a Puppy user?

gcmartin

#289 Post by gcmartin »

rcrsn51 wrote: Please explain. Why would you login to a Windows machine using the credentials of a Puppy user?
Management and tracking on the internal LAN at the sharing source.

@rcrsn51 PM me with this if you like.

Jades

#290 Post by Jades »

emil wrote:What I noticed is, that the step in the boot process where it says "Looking for Puppy files ..." seems to take more time now on my computer and there are red dots appearing. Was there a change somewhere?
I don't have the thread address to hand but I think that Barry added an extra delay because some systems were completing the search process before attached USB storage had finished initialising and were consequently failing to find the saves and boot.