Slacko RC

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#166 Post by 01micko »

Hi 8-bit

It should show blue when AC is plugged, red when unplugged.. working ok here.
Attachments
charge.png
charging
(2.55 KiB) Downloaded 897 times
discharge.png
discharging
(2.54 KiB) Downloaded 918 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

charlie6

Slacko 5.29.5 + siliconmotion video driver

#167 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Mick,
:D I believe the following to bring some light on xorgwizard working !
Here me have had problems :( to get X starting ...and
.. keeping the faith one more time ... :) and digging to understand a bit more about xorgwizard's working, brought the following:
the current slacko5.29.5's xorgwizard (from line 1508) directs to and starts the /usr/sbin/SILICON script if a silicon video driver is detected.
The /usr/sbin/SILICON script starts the /usr/sbin/xorgwizard-automatic script.
If no silicon motion driver exists then the "classic" /usr/sbin/xorgwizard should run ... isn't?

So to see if a problem would come from the current xorgwizard script, :idea: let us do manualy and separately what it does.
To do this lets us replace the current xorgwizard by a more classic one: the one picked-up from wary 5.1.4 , or the one picked-up from slacko4.99.1.
Those do not have the script starting at line 1508 (SILICON detection.script)

this tested on

- a fresh slacko 5.29.5 savefile [*] + the later xf86-siliconmotion-1.7.5.pet installed
- added /etc/X11/xorg.con.d/keyboard.conf [***]
- DISTRO_XORG_AUTO='yes' in /etc/DISTRO_SPECS
- and, the current /usr/sbin/xorgwizard has been replaced by the one picked-up from wary 5.1.4 , or the one picked-up from slacko4.99.1.

Results: whatever the xorgwizard's origin (from wary 5.1.4 , or from slacko4.99.1):
1. testing SILICON manualy
- remove the current /etc/X11/xorg.conf
- Menu/exit to prompt
- # SILICON EDITED: here returns to prompt ...!!??
- # xorgwizard-automatic EDITED: here have to do it manualy...!?
- # xwin
then Xvesa starts :D (report-video reports driver=vesa)

2. testing xorgwizard manualy
- remove the current /etc/X11/xorg.conf
- Menu/exit to prompt
- # xorgwizard
- on the Puppy Video Wizard do <Choose> /then select [**] the siliconmotion Video driver and <OK>/
then select the monitor specification and <OK>/select video mode and <TEST>/<TEST_X_NOW>/
got the "Xorg Video Wizard: testing X ...." displayed , do Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace/
then got Xorg Video Wizard "Report on X test" box and <FINISHED>/at the prompt do
- # xwin
then X starts :D :D (report-video reports driver= smi)

[*] this savefile created by doing <Probe> at first bootup xorgwizard's run - then Xvesa starts.
[**] here Puppy Video Wizard displays the drivers-full list

Possible conclusion:

1. the problem is:
on first bootup slacko5.29.5 only starts on VESA by doing <Probe>.
Further attempts to get Xorg desktop working by selecting the siliconmotion driver results in a black screen, or system hang up.
2. what the above testing shows is that there could be something in the 5.29.5 xorgwizard that would bring the problem.

All this have been reproduced several times; as also on slacko 5.29.6.

Hope this could also bring some light
Charlie

[***] keyboard.conf

Code: Select all

Section InputDevice
Identfier     "Keyboard0"
Driver        "kbd"
Option         "XkbRules"   "xorg"
Option         "XkbMode1" "pc102" 
Option         "XkbLayout" "be" "#xkeymap0 
Last edited by charlie6 on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 15:04, edited 1 time in total.

Stripe

#168 Post by Stripe »

hi all

everything looking good, here's a desktop

cheers

don

otropogo

#169 Post by otropogo »

8-bit wrote:As per your statement of saving to an ext3 slacksave file, you keep calling it a 2fs file. If you saved it as a 3fs file it should have a 3fs extension and not a 2fs file extension.
I think that may be part of your problem if the slacosave file has the wrong extension.
No, it's not part of the problem. I called it a 2fs file out of habit, and because I hadn't actually looked at the extension. How could a 3fs file get a 2fs extension unless one renamed it manually? In any case, now that I've looked at it (having created a second save file, this one a "2fs"), I can assure you that both have the original extension Slacko gave them. And both of them cause it to seize up on reboot, whereas there's no such problem booting with pfix=ram.

I jumped through a few hoops getting slacko rc working for me. But it seems that if I can do it, you should also be able to.
If I was setting at your PC, I and most others here could most likely get it to work to.
Such a long-winded way of gratuitously calling someone "stupid". Your reasoning is defective...
As a for instance, you state creating a 32meg slacksave file.
32megs is not even an option for size of it.
I'm looking at it (all 32MB of it) sitting right beside the original 512MB 3fs file on my hard drive.

You should really check your facts before handing out advice...Try booting Slacko 5.29.6 with pfix=ram yourself, and then go through the save menu when shutting down.
You already stated you can boot from the CD to a desktop with all icons present and menu items present also.
But you just might be trying to install too many things before creating a save file.

Have you tried booting from the CD with "puppy pfix=ram" and setting up the bare minimums.
Do not at that time try to install flashplayer.
Oh, you mean I should ignore the specific recommendation to do so?
You can do that after a reboot.
There is an item in the menu to do that.
Also, do not go with less than a 512 meg save file.
Ext2 or ext3 is fine, but the save file should have a 3fs filename extension if you pick ext3 and a 2fs filename extension if you pick ext2.
Persevere, and you will succeed.
I suggest you direct your suggestions to those (if they exist) who are handling the documentation for Slacko. As for your assurance that perseverance will end in success - it's both illogical and irrelevant. I'm not interested in testing my ability to work around basic functionality issues in a new OS, much less to prove that I'm as smart as you and "most others".

I tried Slacko for one reason, because it was suggested to me that it might provide native support for USB3. I assumed when I set out that it was already functional otherwise.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

tasmod

#170 Post by tasmod »

Wow otropogo, you sure go out your way to make friends and influence people don't you !
Rob
-
The moment after you press "Post" is the moment you actually see the typso 8)

jim3630

#171 Post by jim3630 »

jim3630 wrote:
01micko wrote:
jim3630 wrote:01micko,

this problem is beyond my skill level and looks like it is not my hardware since in other pups once the speakers are chosen via multi-sound card wizard on reboot sound continues to go to those speakers. have looked in other pups multi-sound card wizard and the choices are the same as in the pic of my first post here in RC. any ideas?
Was this a problem in any of the betas? If not I have a possible fix. Let me know please before I post it. Thanks.
01micko yes a problem I reported in prior betas.
Hi 01micko still can't get this to act properly. appreciate any ideas.

jim3630

#172 Post by jim3630 »

otropogo, I have been where your at with software and people that just won't work right.
think everyone here gets your frustrated. pms instead of open posts may get you better results.

2ManyDogs

font rendering issue in slacko

#173 Post by 2ManyDogs »

I'm using the Slacko RC and so far I really like it. I'm running it on a Gateway P4 2Ghz machine with 1.5 G RAM and 80 G hard drive, running from the CD and saving to a USB drive (this machine will boot from USB, but it's easier to boot from the CD). The setup told me I had a Brookdale graphics card but everything seems to be running well... except

I'm having an issue with fonts and pages in Firefox (and Seamonkey). Pages that looked fine in Lucid puppy don't render correctly on Slacko. I don't think this is a browser issue, but I could be wrong. I have attached two examples -- one is cropped from a larger page because it has other personal information on it, and the Amazon page is complete. Notice how the text overlaps and the pages look funky. Any ideas?

As I said, otherwise I really like Slacko and have loaded LibreOffice from the sfs file and Truecrypt from the web site, everything is working fine. This is a minor annoyance at best (unlike all the sound issues I had with Lucid).
Attachments
amazon screen.jpg
(89.31 KiB) Downloaded 282 times
ally screen.jpg
(15.11 KiB) Downloaded 989 times
Last edited by 2ManyDogs on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.

JonT

#174 Post by JonT »

Using a manual frugal install of Slacko RC on a Dell Inspiron 1100 laptop having Brookdale graphics and a Synaptics touchpad. The Brookdale and flsynclient fixes continue to work well, as does the new battery tray app.

Frisbee continues to work well; I like the connection feedback. The wifi card is a D-link WNA-2330 having Atheros 5212/13 chips.

Printing to a windows shared HP LaserJet 2300 attached via usb to a desktop (almost always running linux using samba) works; I had to use the smbn option provided by rcrsn51 http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=59015

When I was about to save this note a few minutes ago, all the drive icons had disappeared; I could neither exit to a prompt, reboot nor shutdown. Restarting JWM resulted in a botched color scheme. Getting a terminal (alt F1) gave me a slowly repeating message

Code: Select all

EXT2-fs (sda6): error: ext2_get_inode: unable to read inside inode block_inode=328005, block=1343490
. I hand copied the message to paper so it may have punctuation errors. After a hard poweroff, slacko rebooted easily (I have pfix=fsck FWIW). Maybe it's my disk problem, not a slacko one.

No other problems noted.

8-bit

#175 Post by 8-bit »

otropogo,

No ill or degrading of you was intended and believe it or not, I am just as frustrated as you with trying to figure out why you are having problems booting after creating a save file.
And I apologize as I am also frustrated. Not with you, but with the problems you are having.

Also, trying to figure out what to check is also hard since a failed boot does not give you the option of checking /tmp/xerrs.log or typing "dmesg" in a terminal.

I also agree that you should not have to jump through hoops to get any operating system to work.

I have been trying to help out, but with so many variables as to a possible cause of the booting problem, it is like trying to track down a needle in a haystack.

From what I understand so far, you are booting from CD and without installing Puppy, you are just setting things up and creating a save file on a fat partition when asked on rebooting if you want to make one.
Then after the save file is created and the reboot with the CD occurs, a save file is searched for and if found, loaded into memory and then the slacko SFS is loaded.
So when you boot, are you seeing that the save file is loaded first?
Do you see then the slacko sfs file is then loaded?

I am trying here to figure out at what point the boot errors out in the booting process.

If I have this right so far, chime in.

johnnywinner

#176 Post by johnnywinner »

The Slackware binutils package renames strings to strings-GNU to "differentiate between BSD strings and GNU strings". Might not be a big deal, but I created a symlink for a package I was compiling.

Jades

#177 Post by Jades »

Sage wrote:
power supply has pretty much had it.
'pretty much' - what does that mean? Either it's dead or not?
Most of the time, I press the power button and it will try to start but immediately die. It will then refuse to do anything for ages. Every now and again it will actually start up and be usable. The current PSU is out of an old machine from work. TBH I suspect it's not powerful enough for everything in the box.

The previous power supply, a second-hand Corsair HX620W spectacularly died, with a visible flash of light emitting from inside the machine. Still not entirely convinced it hasn't fried something. Might try replacing the mainboard battery as it's ten-odd years old anyway.
Sage wrote:If it needs cleaning just hose it and dry it + lube the fan. If it's dead, check the caps for bulges, fuses for continuity and varistors. Rarely anything else in a PSU.
Even if I was willing to poke around in a power supply containing potentially nasty voltages, I'd be unlikely to know what I'm looking at.
Sage wrote:Whatever, please edit your profile to show your location. If you are in the UK I can probably offer you a replacement, gratis.
Thanks for the offer, but I have no problem affording a replacement. I just haven't got round to it as I've been very busy recently and it isn't a priority machine.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

otropogo

#178 Post by otropogo »

8-bit wrote:otropogo,

From what I understand so far, you are booting from CD and without installing Puppy, you are just setting things up and creating a save file on a fat partition when asked on rebooting if you want to make one.
Yes, that's how I run linux on all of my machines.
Then after the save file is created and the reboot with the CD occurs, a save file is searched for and if found, loaded into memory and then the slacko SFS is loaded.
So when you boot, are you seeing that the save file is loaded first?
Do you see then the slacko sfs file is then loaded?

I am trying here to figure out at what point the boot errors out in the booting process.

If I have this right so far, chime in.
As I described previously, the display indicates that the save file is loaded and that the sfs file is copied to RAM. As I also mentioned, the point at which the display freezes is different on every boot, as are the lines displayed.

And since I'm not a coder, I'm not able to determine whether everything displayed is error message or where the problem arose. I selected those lines to post from the frozen screen that seemed to indicate a problem.

Since you asked nicely, I rebooted twice just now and watched the screen to try to note all of the displayed text. Happily, it was mercifully sparse these last two times.

1. booting with the 512MB 3fs save file:
updating
loading kernel modules...
I didn't time this exactly, but nothing more appeared for at least four minutes, so I conclude the system was locked up.

2. booting with the 32MB 2fs save file:
Updating
loading kernel modules...[107.636962] BUG:unable to handle kernel.
OTOH I used the same CD to boot on another system, the one I'm using right now, save a 512MB 3fs file to the hard drive, and rebooted without incident using that file.

One possibly significant difference - the home partition for the latter, bootable, save file is in NTFS format, whereas the two failed save files are on a FAT32 partition.

One bit of good news - Slacko 5.29.6 has USB3 support built in, and it has no problem with 3TB ntfs formated USB3 drives either, unlike lupu 5.2.8., which requires a pet to install usb3 support, doesn't support USB3 hot plugging, and can't seem to handle a 3TB drive, even when partitioned, on either the USB3 or the USB2 ports, mounting it read only.

There is one weird quirk with Slacko's USB3 - the 3TB drive may need to be attached on bootup, and if unmounted, detached and then reattached, is only recognized on the same USB3 port where it was mounted initially. It doesn't have this limitation on the USB2 ports.

A usb3 card reader OTOH can be switched from one USB3 port to the other at will.

otropogo

#179 Post by otropogo »

tasmod wrote:Wow otropogo, you sure go out your way to make friends and influence people don't you !
Your obnoxious remark is misdirected.

I've put a lot of effort into a project from which I have only the faintest hope of benefiting in any way. And I don't appreciate in return having my intelligence insulted by someone who hasn't bothered to check his facts or even to read carefully what he presumes to criticize.

At least he has made an effort to get back on topic. Maybe you could make an effort too...

8-bit

#180 Post by 8-bit »

otropogo,
I think we might be getting somewhere after the line you saw that said
"loading kernel modules...[107.636962] BUG:unable to handle kernel."

It just may be that the kernel in the version you downloaded is incompatible with that PC. I do not think saving to an NTFS vs VFat formatted partition should make any difference.

There are two kernel versions of Slacko and it just may be that that particular PC may require the other kernel version.

If we can get 01micko to chime in here, he may be able to shed some light on that part.

otropogo

#181 Post by otropogo »

jim3630 wrote:otropogo, I have been where your at with software and people that just won't work right.
think everyone here gets your frustrated. pms instead of open posts may get you better results.
How so? The posters who write gratuitous insults and misinformation publicly are going to turn miraculously into gracious correspondents and precious sources of information via Private Messaging?

Dream on...

I post in the forums in the hope that my problems will be read by as many people as possible who might have something insightful to offer in return, or who at least will be able to make good use of my methodical reporting. To do as you suggest would be to throw out the baby and swallow the bathwater.

otropogo

#182 Post by otropogo »

8-bit wrote:otropogo,
I think we might be getting somewhere after the line you saw that said
"loading kernel modules...[107.636962] BUG:unable to handle kernel."

It just may be that the kernel in the version you downloaded is incompatible with that PC. I do not think saving to an NTFS vs VFat formatted partition should make any difference.

There are two kernel versions of Slacko and it just may be that that particular PC may require the other kernel version.

If we can get 01micko to chime in here, he may be able to shed some light on that part.
Does it make sense to you that it would boot and run fine from the LiveCD?

Update: trying to test your conclusion that the host partition filesystem for the save files couldn't be the cause of boot failure, I tried rebooting Slacko on my desktop system in order to make a save to an ntfs partition. However, this time, every attempt at booting failed whether using the pfix=ram command, or selecting "0" from the boot menu. One attempt even produced a replay of the last error text reported.

So apparently it was just my bad luck that the system ever booted from the Slacko 5.29.6 liveCD at all (and twice in a row, at that!). The system it works on is one I only have intermittent access to...

The only other thing I can think of is the sfs file on the hard drive.
Last edited by otropogo on Fri 14 Oct 2011, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Jades

#183 Post by Jades »

otropogo wrote:I'm looking at it (all 32MB of it) sitting right beside the original 512MB 3fs file on my hard drive.
If you're seriously trying to run Slacko with a 32MB Pupsave, that's the cause of your problem right there. I can use that up on a pfix=ram start just by downloading the MESA graphics driver (20MB) and the Flash Player (about 12MB?).

Another thing to be aware of, which has caught me out in the past, is that some versions of Puppy don't check whether there is actually enough space on the target partition while creating the save file. Everything will seem to go well until you reboot, at which point weird stuff happens.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

8-bit

#184 Post by 8-bit »

otropogo,

From kernel errors in /usr/include/asm-generic/errno.h I looked up the code returned without the last part after the decimal and it shows:
"#define ENOTCONN 107 /* Transport endpoint is not connected */
"
That might not mean much to you and me, but for the more knowledgeable, it could mean a lot as it relates to your boot problem.

But for now, I think I would try a version with the other kernel.
And to me, it does not make sense.
It sounds like a memory problem of pointers as to where to load the files into memory.

I should state that I am shooting in the dark here as I make no claim to know a lot about linux and how Puppy boots as to how it relates to this kernel error.

Jades

#185 Post by Jades »

otropogo wrote:Does it make sense to you that it would boot and run fine from the LiveCD?
I'm not being particularly bright today, sorry. Is your problem that Slacko boots fine from a pfix=ram situation but attempting a normal boot from a pupsave is failing? Could be that for some reason the system isn't creating a functioning save file - I've seen this before myself while testing with the Lucid branch.

Is it just the 32MB saves you're having trouble with (in which case the reason is the save is too small) or is it with a default 512MB one as well?

A pfix=ram boot will be fine because it's loading everything off the CD or DVD and isn't accessing any files at all from any other drives - including previously generated saves.

I actually had a situation with Lupu 525 on my K6 2 500 machine where it couldn't create new saves but would happily work with ones from older versions and even managed to upgrade a full install of Lupu 520 to 525.

Sometimes tracking these things down can be difficult but detail and patience from all concerned can sometimes help. ;-)